Freshman - who will play this year?

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ANGCatFan

Freshman - who will play this year?

Post by ANGCatFan »

Brad Allis put a note in Tuesday's story on freshman likely to play this year.
One of the big decisions left for the coaches is which freshmen to play and which to redshirt.

“It's hard to play as a true freshman,” said Rich Rodriguez. “We played too many last year and we will probably play too many this year.”

A few are sure to play and those include Trevor Wood, Tyrell Johnson and Nick Wilson. Among the others who could play are Jamardre Cobb, Kaelin Deboskie, Cam Denson, Tony Ellison, Layth Friekh, Marcus Griffin, Jonathan Haden Levi Walton.
Here is how I would breakdown the freshman:

Likely to Play
Trevor Wood, Tyrell Johnson, Nick Wilson, Cam Denson, and Josh Pollack

Could Play
Layth Friekh, Jonathan Haden, and Levi Walton

Likely to Redshirt
Jamardre Cobb, Kaelin Deboskie, Tony Ellison, and Marcus Griffin plus every other freshman not mentioned.
catinfl

Re: Freshman - who will play this year?

Post by catinfl »

ANGCatFan wrote:Brad Allis put a note in Tuesday's story on freshman likely to play this year.
One of the big decisions left for the coaches is which freshmen to play and which to redshirt.

“It's hard to play as a true freshman,” said Rich Rodriguez. “We played too many last year and we will probably play too many this year.”

A few are sure to play and those include Trevor Wood, Tyrell Johnson and Nick Wilson. Among the others who could play are Jamardre Cobb, Kaelin Deboskie, Cam Denson, Tony Ellison, Layth Friekh, Marcus Griffin, Jonathan Haden Levi Walton.
Here is how I would breakdown the freshman:

Likely to Play
Trevor Wood, Tyrell Johnson, Nick Wilson, Cam Denson, and Josh Pollack

Could Play
Layth Friekh, Jonathan Haden, and Levi Walton

Likely to Redshirt
Jamardre Cobb, Kaelin Deboskie, Tony Ellison, and Marcus Griffin plus every other freshman not mentioned.
I know at one point RR said Debowskie was going to play. Ellison is a talented guy, but he could use a red-shirt year to gain muscle. Haden will probably play. Coaches are moving him around in the slot and such and like his quickness. Cobb getting red-shirted is scary because with a year in the weight room and once he gets the mental side gets under check he's going to be a monster.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

True Freshman on today's depth chart: Jonathan Haden, Tyrell Johnson, Layth Friekh, Nick Wilson, Cam Denson, and Josh Pollack.

Trevor Wood is probably only missing because we didn't get to see the TE depth chart.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

What's the story with Ware? Too small? Too freshman?
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Puerco wrote:What's the story with Ware? Too small? Too freshman?
Ware Missed most (maybe all) of camp with shoulder injury
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

True Freshman who played against UNLV. Info was in another thread, but my OCD requires me to update this one. Names are from the participation report (added after the question below).

Haden, Wilson, Johnson, Denson, Wood, and Friekh.

Let me know if I left anyone out.
Last edited by ANGCatFan on Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Ang, I don't think Wood played? Special teams?
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

azcat49 wrote:Ang, I don't think Wood played? Special teams?
Wood played. Daniel Berk tweeted out a photo of him on the field with his brother Carter when Brewer was at QB on the last drive.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Great story on Wilson and the other true Freshman who played in the first game by Bartel at SB Nation.
The Arizona Wildcats and head coach Rich Rodriguez played just six true freshmen Friday night against UNLV, and from the looks of it, that'll be the extent of new faces on campus seeing game time in 2014.

"Part of it is quite a few of 'em aren't ready yet," Rodriguez said. "And some of 'em we have more upperclassmen returning in different spots with transfers and guys returning. But I still think there's going to be another couple years where we play more freshmen then we probably want to."

One true freshman who made a big impact in Arizona's first game was running back Nick Wilson.

"It was really incredible," Wilson reminisced. "I can't really describe how excited I was. I thought I was going to handle it a little bit better. I didn't think it was going to be as impressive as it was. It was definitely everything I ever could have imagined."

"It was a great experience," wide receiver Tyrell Johnson added. "It's something new because I was in prep school last semester. It was something different from high school to that level."

While Johnson got his first career reception early in the second quarter, Wilson got his first career carry midway through the third quarter. On his fifth rushing attempt, he busted an 85 yard TD run for his first college touchdown.

The other true freshmen that played Friday were offensive lineman Layth Friekh, running back Jonathan Haden, cornerback Cam Denson, and tight end Trevor Wood, although it sounds like we may see Wood on the other side of the ball in the near future.

"He's playing both ways," Rodriguez said of the younger Wood brother. "He's gonna play a little defense, and still play tight end. We didn't use the tight end but maybe 40% of the time in the last game, and we're rolling three of 'em. So he'll probably play a little more defense going forward (at defensive end)."

"He's a big athletic guy," coach continued. "He's playing as a true freshman, which is a good thing, and he's still learning and still getting strength. A good off-season, a good summer. I think he's gonna be a guy who plays a lot of football for us on both sides."

These six guys will be crucial for this team this year, and the next couple years down the road. And it doesn't seem like it's getting to them at all.

"We just try and go out there the best way we could," Johnson said. "We don't try to make it bigger than it actually is. We just go out there and play football."
Make sure you read the rest of the article it has some great quotes on Wilson's TD run.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Nick Wilson impress me with his 85 yard run off of 7 carrier for 107 yard. Solomon, He the real deal for the future for RR.