7 Jayden de Laura

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

MountainCat

Re: 7 Jayden de Laura

Post by MountainCat »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 10:18 pm
Carcassdragger wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 9:54 pm I'm tired of so many on here attacking the moral character of those who happen to disagree with themselves. It's not necessary.

Texts or no texts, which we'll never see, I'm thinking the prosecutor didn't think the case was that strong and settled with JDL and his counsel because the accused may have thought the case might well have resulted in a sentence by a jury influenced by the emotion of such a heinous accusation. What happened in that stairwell may very well have been ugly with some culpability by all parties, but who knows. Point is, those who do know better than any of us, chose to settle and move on.
I think it is a safe bet to presume human frailty in all matters judicative and executive. Aren't we are all flawed individuals? And further, aren't we all composite individuals whose fractions assail and dilute our better whole? In this moment I am comforted that none of us takes this lightly. It matters. It hurts because it counts. Because we judge and condemn we ourselves feel pain inseparable from the act condemned. How else do we learn?
Well said , both of you!
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

Carcassdragger wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 9:54 pm What happened in that stairwell may very well have been ugly with some culpability by all parties, but who knows.
We don’t know, but in case you’re wondering why so few women report sexual assault, maybe we need to look at how prevalent victim-blaming is in these situations. For instance what you said right here.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 10:18 pm
Carcassdragger wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 9:54 pm I'm tired of so many on here attacking the moral character of those who happen to disagree with themselves. It's not necessary.

Texts or no texts, which we'll never see, I'm thinking the prosecutor didn't think the case was that strong and settled with JDL and his counsel because the accused may have thought the case might well have resulted in a sentence by a jury influenced by the emotion of such a heinous accusation. What happened in that stairwell may very well have been ugly with some culpability by all parties, but who knows. Point is, those who do know better than any of us, chose to settle and move on.
I think it is a safe bet to presume human frailty in all matters judicative and executive. Aren't we are all flawed individuals? And further, aren't we all composite individuals whose fractions assail and dilute our better whole? In this moment I am comforted that none of us takes this lightly. It matters. It hurts because it counts. Because we judge and condemn we ourselves feel pain inseparable from the act condemned. How else do we learn?

I have plenty of flaws. Just talk to my wife...
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Alieberman wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 12:49 pm
AzCatFan2 wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 12:44 pm I ask again, what difference does it make if the convicted rapist is a QB, LB, Center for the basketball team, or 3rd baseman on the baseball team?
Zero, nada, zilch.

I'm pretty consistent in not supporting rapists.

This isn't a grey area for me

I don't need to see their juvie records to make my ethical / moral choices.

My love of sport dies not trump my moral compass.

I have no need for mental gymnastics to make my choices.

Amen Al.
Basketcats

Post by Basketcats »

Let's open up Pandora's box and peek inside.

Coach, QB and university are in the proverbial doghouse. Some have stated that they aren't going to watch the team as long as JDL is playing or on the team period. Some have stated supporting the team is supporting a bunch of rapists. Some are not willing to support the AD or watch the team until the decision is reversed.

So now the questions are...

As a fan, how do you deal with support for the team?
Do you now just deny the team exists and go on about your business during the upcoming season?
Do you focus your support on another team?
How is pulling your support for the team fair to any of the players that haven't committed a felony?
If there is a decision reversal and JDL is removed, does that instantly rectify the situation?
Does Fisch need to go now?

*Edited*

Let me answer my own questions to start that way you can all brow beat me for not being any of you.

I will not deny the existence of the team.
I will not ignore the team.
I will watch and continue to root for it.
I will never throw my support behind another team and anoint it as my primary.

The reason why I continue to throw my support behind it is because of the other 55-65 players on the team. They did nothing to deserve the disdain I feel toward the people involved in this disgusting situation. They deserve my support 100%. So I can't turn my back on them.

It took me almost half the season last year to come around and buy into what Fisch was selling. I mainly bought in because I saw a lot of what everyone who was onboard with the hire day 1 saw. It just took me a bit longer because I am a skeptic and I need to see the product before believing. Now that the product is a bit tarnished, my faith in it may be weakened, but not to the point of total collapse.

Fisch made a mistake. He didn't commit a crime, he just made a mistake. He was just doing his job, albeit sloppily. I can't completely condemn the guy for trying to make the team better. I can overlook a mistake but it needs to be corrected. JDL should, at the very least, take a backseat and not start a game. Yes, he shouldn't be on the team at all, but, unless the powers that be reverse course, there is no avoiding him being a part of it.

That's my take. Have at me. Berate away.
Last edited by Basketcats on Tue May 09, 2023 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Basketcats wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 7:23 am
So now the questions are...

As a fan, how do you deal with support for the team?
Do you now just deny the team exists and go on about your business during the upcoming season?
Do you focus your support on another team?
How is pulling your support for the team fair to any of the players that haven't committed a felony?
If there is a decision reversal and JDL is removed, does that instantly rectify the situation?
Does Fisch need to go now?
1- I am pausing my AZ athletic support. I won't deny they exist- but I won't watch a single play. I cannot cheer for a rapist... so I cannot watch. Not going to root against the team... just will not support in any way. You won't even see me posting a single thing AZ sports related in the foreseeable future here in this forum

2- I find myself watching less and less sports.... I won't replace with another team / sport

3- Pulling my support is not fair to the other players. It's not their fault. But it's the only thing I can do

4- A reversal would be a great step. I don't know how it would effect me yet.

5- I don't really blame Fisch... It goes much higher than him
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

I had been planning on attending a few games (I don’t live in town) but now that’s definitely up in the air. If the only statement we are going to get from the AD is the one they put out, I’m definitely not attending and not going to any alumni functions that center around football.

As for whether it’s fair to the rest of the team, probably not, but my little one-man protest won’t affect them. They’ll still play the game and go to school. My hope though is that at least some of those players will have their own protest against playing with a rapist. I’m not hoping they quit the team or go public, but if internally they can express their displeasure maybe it will give the coaches and AD something to think about. That it’s not just fickle fans who don’t want a rapist on the Cats.

Seems like it will actually be pretty easy to ignore Arizona Football. People have been doing it for years. Now it will not just be for the on-field performance.
CopaCat

Post by CopaCat »

https://www.google.com/amp/s/sports.yah ... 11550.html

I will just leave this here for the Lynch Brigade. These are the decisions that are made when listening to mindless fan fervor that knows jackshit about a case outside of "media reports".
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

Basketcats wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 7:23 am The reason why I continue to throw my support behind it is because of the other 55-65 players on the team. They did nothing to deserve the disdain I feel toward the people involved in this disgusting situation.
I agree with Carcasdragger's earlier comments about people being attacked. I assume all have seen plenty of evidence elsewhere in life that nobody changes anybody's mind about much of anything. So once opinions have been fully expressed, it's pointless to continue with "but don't you see?" in all caps. True of both sides, and just because somebody made the last post, it doesn't mean it's the last word, or that they "won." It's also important to know if this board will remain viable for Arizona football fans, or if there's an intent to kill it off. There'll be no point in making posts to inform or express opinions about roster news, injuries, or performance (of the above other 55-65 players) if they're hijacked and tagged with angry views about society, comparisons of character, or criminal justice. Just my 2 cents in the middle of the maelstrom.
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

TheCatInTheHat wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 9:10 am It's also important to know if this board will remain viable for Arizona football fans, or if there's an intent to kill it off. There'll be no point in making posts to inform or express opinions about roster news, injuries, or performance (of the above other 55-65 players) if they're hijacked and tagged with angry views about society, comparisons of character, or criminal justice. Just my 2 cents in the middle of the maelstrom.
Huh?

Has anyone talked about killing off the board or has this conversation yet leaked into other threads? I haven’t seen it, so this is a weird stretch in my opinion.
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

CopaCat wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 9:01 am https://www.google.com/amp/s/sports.yah ... 11550.html

I will just leave this here for the Lynch Brigade. These are the decisions that are made when listening to mindless fan fervor that knows jackshit about a case outside of "media reports".
There are also numerous cases where rape and sexual assault were ignored or swept under the rug because the perpetrators were well known athletes or entertainers. Both are wrong and ruin lives but one happens more often than the other.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

TheCatInTheHat wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 9:10 am
Basketcats wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 7:23 am The reason why I continue to throw my support behind it is because of the other 55-65 players on the team. They did nothing to deserve the disdain I feel toward the people involved in this disgusting situation.
I agree with Carcasdragger's earlier comments about people being attacked. I assume all have seen plenty of evidence elsewhere in life that nobody changes anybody's mind about much of anything. So once opinions have been fully expressed, it's pointless to continue with "but don't you see?" in all caps. True of both sides, and just because somebody made the last post, it doesn't mean it's the last word, or that they "won." It's also important to know if this board will remain viable for Arizona football fans, or if there's an intent to kill it off. There'll be no point in making posts to inform or express opinions about roster news, injuries, or performance (of the above other 55-65 players) if they're hijacked and tagged with angry views about society, comparisons of character, or criminal justice. Just my 2 cents in the middle of the maelstrom.
There is certainly no plan to kill off or hijack threads. This is literally the only AZ sport thread I plan on posting in.

I have no illusions that my stance will effect anyone else and I'm sure if our football team does really well this year we will be more popular than ever
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

CopaCat wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 9:01 am https://www.google.com/amp/s/sports.yah ... 11550.html

Just to digress a bit, that story doesn't make much sense. An intoxicated person cannot give consent. A minor cannot give consent.

He and the two other players named in the suit vehemently deny any gang rape, knowledge that the girl was below California’s age of consent (18) or or whether she was intoxicated.

And the rules are even more strict for college students in CA: https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way ... sault-bill

Alieberman wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 7:36 am 2- I find myself watching less and less sports.... I won't replace with another team / sport
I am with you here. After years of watching college football all day Saturday, and NFL football on Sunday, along with listening to pretty much every Detroit Tiger game on the radio, along with college basketball all winter, I only now watch UA FB and MBB. And now won't watch any FB if JDL is playing.

Nice to have my Saturdays back, since FB games go on so long.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

TheCatInTheHat wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 9:10 am
Agree with this TC.

I certainly understand and respect anyone that won't be supporting either the football program or Arizona athletics in general moving forward. However, it shouldn't be used as fodder to attack others that will still watch, root and comment. Otherwise, we might as well shut down BDW.

Leave it up to the Mods to decide how to proceed. I think this topic (or duplicate thread title) deserves it's place in the lower boards where people can have it.

Would hate to see a game thread for example get hijacked like...

Comment: "What a great touchdown catch by Cowing!"
Response: "Great catch if you like balls thrown by a rapist"
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

EastCoastCat wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 9:37 am

Leave it up to the Mods to decide how to proceed. I think this topic (or duplicate thread title) deserves it's place in the lower boards where people can have it.

Would hate to see a game thread for example get hijacked like...

Comment: "What a great touchdown catch by Cowing!"
Response: "Great catch if you like balls thrown by a rapist"
Totally agree with this.

Which is why a few days earlier I had posted that we are going to need a couple new mods. (An easy job- just need a couple level headed people to keep the peace from time to time)

Most of our current Mods are no longer active and I will no longer be active on the AZ sports threads.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

If the University kicks JDL off the team, it's doing so with limited information. We have the allegation of what happened based on the civil suit filings. And those allegations are awful. And we have the fact JDL and Latu plead guilty to a juvenile offense. But what we don't have is a lot more than that.

We have no statements from the boys in their defense other than Latu's lawyer stating the incident was consensual.

We don't know how the victim's version of the story would have held up to cross examination of a defense lawyer. Even if the case went to trial, the testimony would be sealed as part of the case.

We haven't heard from the victim or her family if they believe JDL and Latu getting no jail time and only punishment being writing an apology letter is justice served, or if the victim and family believe this was a travesty.

We also don't know how the victim and her family feel about JDL being on scholarship at Arizona and Latu being on scholarship at Wisconsin. A question that wouldn't be fair to ask now, because the victim and family have a financial reason for these kids to succeed.

If you think this is enough to kick JDL off the team, think of the precedent it sets by the University. The University has to make policies that are fair and equitable for all 38,000+ students. Kick JDL off the team and the next time there is an accusation that an athlete has a juvie rape conviction, what should the school do? There may be even less information available, and if no civil case filed, no recourse at all for the University to ascertain the truth.

This is the reason why Wisconsin and Arizona both came to the same resolution. Which is cases adjudicated in juvie court before a kid became a student is off limits for the school to take any action. If morality is derived from the truth, how can you make a moral judgement when much of the truth is hidden, and will legally remain hidden, possibly in perpetuity? And how is a university supposed to make policy that is fair and equitable to all students, unless that policy is the one both Wisconsin and Arizona chose?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

EastCoastCat wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 9:37 am However, it shouldn't be used as fodder to attack others that will still watch, root and comment. Otherwise, we might as well shut down BDW.
I admit I haven't read every post, especially those by azcatfan2 but I don't care if anyone else watches JDL play, I am just not going to. Don't recall any posts telling other people to quit watching either. It's just a personal matter.

So no FB RAP for me if there is going to be such a thing, but I will still play Greg's undefeated countdown game since the UA won't be involved.

I am yet not totally convinced JDL will play. There may be legal issues with pulling his scholie, but there is no reason whatsoever they have to play him.

If that was Fisch, that would be what I would do. Just name Fifita the starter, he has more potential anyway.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Merkin wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 10:00 am
EastCoastCat wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 9:37 am However, it shouldn't be used as fodder to attack others that will still watch, root and comment. Otherwise, we might as well shut down BDW.
Don't recall any posts telling other people to quit watching either. It's just a personal matter.
I haven't heard it specifically called out not to watch but there have been comments such as "if you want to support RapistU, go right ahead" so thought it would be important for us to establish the proper guardrails before the season starts.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

EastCoastCat wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 10:15 am I haven't heard it specifically called out not to watch but there have been comments such as "if you want to support RapistU, go right ahead" so thought it would be important for us to establish the proper guardrails before the season starts.
Excellent point.

And I will certainly support UA FB if they bench JDL, but like Ari, will stay out of the football forums until as long as he plays.
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

EastCoastCat wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 10:15 am
Don't recall any posts telling other people to quit watching either. It's just a personal matter.
I haven't heard it specifically called out not to watch but there have been comments such as "if you want to support RapistU, go right ahead" so thought it would be important for us to establish the proper guardrails before the season starts.
Where did you see that?
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

CardiacCats97 wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 10:55 am
Where did you see that?
For the love...

I don't really want to call anyone out - there was one quote "at worst we are RapistU" - so I'm assuming you can understand the implications that could be made against anyone who continues to support JDL, the football program or the athletic department in general moving forward. Emotions are pretty high on this topic - and rightfully so

So let me re-phrase my point so it's clear - let's make sure we separate the football-related thread discussions with this topic. That's why we have upper and lower boards.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Merkin wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 10:26 am
EastCoastCat wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 10:15 am I haven't heard it specifically called out not to watch but there have been comments such as "if you want to support RapistU, go right ahead" so thought it would be important for us to establish the proper guardrails before the season starts.
Excellent point.

And I will certainly support UA FB if they bench JDL, but like Ari, will stay out of the football forums until as long as he plays.
What about the other sports forums (basketball, etc.) since he was cleared to stay by the athletic department?
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

EastCoastCat wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 11:20 am
Where did you see that?
For the love...

I don't really want to call anyone out - there was one quote "at worst we are RapistU" - so I'm assuming you can understand the implications that could be made against anyone who continues to support JDL, the football program or the athletic department in general moving forward. Emotions are pretty high on this topic - and rightfully so

So let me re-phrase my point so it's clear - let's make sure we separate the football-related thread discussions with this topic. That's why we have upper and lower boards.
I just wanted to know if anyone had said that. Good to know that no one has, even though you said that that comment existed.

Seems like predictions of some war within the fanbase spilling over into multiple threads are premature at best. I haven’t seen anyone say anything remotely like what you posted. All I’ve seen are people saying that they personally won’t watch or support.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I totally get what ECC is saying. He didn't accuse anyone of anything.

I have made my choices and I am not here to to judge anyone else's in regard to how they deal with the info they have on this.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

CardiacCats97 wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 11:43 am
Merkin wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 10:00 am Don't recall any posts telling other people to quit watching either. It's just a personal matter.
Where did you see that?
For the love...

I just wanted to know if anyone had said that. Good to know that no one has, even though you said that that comment existed.

Seems like predictions of some war within the fanbase spilling over into multiple threads are premature at best. I haven’t seen anyone say anything remotely like what you posted. All I’ve seen are people saying that they personally won’t watch or support.
If it makes you feel better that it's not the exact words go for it. What do you think this phrase implies?

"If you find it necessary to justify this so you can root for your team and Bear Down… I just hope you can sleep well at night"

Try to stick to the point I was trying to make. I am not predicting anything nor do I know for a fact that a "war will break out". The mods should just be prepared that's all. Make sense?
CopaCat

Post by CopaCat »

CardiacCats97 wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 9:30 am

There are also numerous cases where rape and sexual assault were ignored or swept under the rug because the perpetrators were well known athletes or entertainers. Both are wrong and ruin lives but one happens more often than the other.
An outsider never knows the inner workings on what went down in a Rape/Sexual Assault case so that is why holding an opinion either way is questionable. A plea agreement is not always tantamount to actual guilt. Especially one drawn up for 2 17 year olds accused of a violent rape. Honestly I still can't get over the punishment being an apology for something like that......unless there is more to the story.

So in conclusion, maybe JDL should be gone, maybe he shouldn't. Those that seem so sure are definitely working with their inner "Me Too" politics on full display.
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

EastCoastCat wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 12:06 pm
CardiacCats97 wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 11:43 am

Where did you see that?
For the love...

If it makes you feel better that it's not the exact words go for it. What do you think this phrase implies?

"If you find it necessary to justify this so you can root for your team and Bear Down… I just hope you can sleep well at night"

Try to stick to the point I was trying to make. I am not predicting anything nor do I know for a fact that a "war will break out". The mods should just be prepared that's all. Make sense?
Initially I thought that you had seen that quote on Twitter/social media because I hadn’t remembered anyone saying that here.

I hope nobody wants to see this leaking out into other threads, or for politics to derail sports discussions. For instance, I would hope the posters who blame on-field results on “bad fans” not supporting the team won’t be blaming a subpar JDL performance on people “trying to run him out of town”.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

We’ve had a pretty good run.

For a quirky independent board/community. I didn’t think it would make it this far.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azgreg wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 11:41 am
What about the other sports forums (basketball, etc.) since he was cleared to stay by the athletic department?

I will still watch MBB. If you look at the Pitt's situation on him being benched, that was on Sean Miller. If JDL plays, that's on Fisch. If Fisch benches JDL, I will watch football.
CopaCat wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 12:13 pm A plea agreement is not always tantamount to actual guilt.

Not a lawyer, but if he plead guilty that would make him guilty. Just as the Supreme Court declared if that if you accept a pardon, you are admitting guilt.

But have innocent people plead guilty, most certainly. The DA can stack the evidence pretty well.

My uneducated guess was why there was no jail time was that the victim was raped in October, and did not make a police report until December, and the DA had to get what he could get. A rape kit shortly after the assault would have changed the results I imagine.
Last edited by Merkin on Tue May 09, 2023 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

azgreg wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 11:41 am
I am taking a full Arizona Athletics hiatus for the time being.

To me this isn't a football thing.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

We can guess why the punishment was only a written apology and no jail time when the ages of the kids, and nature of the crime meant they could have been charged as adults and facing a maximum penalty of 15 years. But all we can do is speculate. I think we would all want to know the reason why the punishment was so light, and perhaps, if had that information, we would change our judgement. And this could go either way. If the full truth came out and put JDL in a worse light, and he got off easy because he was a local football star, I'd move into the camp of kicking him off the team.

But it's the nature of juvie cases that the full truth will never be known. The truth hides behind the fact the law keeps these cases closed most of the time. Yes, the University may be hiding behind this law as well by keeping JDL, but no law is perfect, and sometimes we have to accept things we don't like, because the alternative is worse. For example, allowing racists to have their freedom of speech protected by the law, no matter how revolting said speech may be.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

The reports have indicated that de Laura texted the victim within days, acknowledging that he did it and apologizing. That text was supposedly evidence presented to law enforcement. The civil settlement contained an acknowlodgment and an apology.

There should be no doubt the he was guilty of second degree sexual assault at this point.

Anger at the perpetrator is an obvious response when learning of these kinds of crimes - whether in real time, or after-the-fact. And there are two types of anger that exist:
  • Anger that is "forward facing", rightfully seeking redress of a wrong, and
  • Anger that is purely retributive, seeking to inflict pain on the offender
Most victims will feel some mixture of the two. However, in our society, the state, not the victim, is actually considered the injured party. And, the state, not the victim, has the exclusive right to take action against the criminal offender. Increasingly, after a finding of guilt the victim(s) may present "victim impact statements; however, the judge solely makes the decision as to consequences.

In this case, both the criminal justice and civil justice systems have done their jobs.

However, we have no knowledge of the victim's perspective, her "impact(s), and/or her sense of "justice" for de Laura.

Neither do we have any insight into de Laura's accounting for his behavior or rehabilitation, remorse, etc.

The fact also is that de Laura has had a high profile position at two universities since then. At the U of A he has, obviously had some significant relationships with coaches and others in the university community. The disclosure of the crime has, obviously, needed to be addressed with those people, and some decision made to what the most appropriate course of action should be.

So, I think the questions that are being addressed herein are what further consequences are appropriate, Should they be retributive? Should they be "forward-facing"?

Personally I don't think there is a "correct" answer. I do think that some consideration of rehabilitation should be taken into account for de Laura. I think those at the university should be making those judgments. But, not just the FB coaching staff, as the judgment should not be compromised by his talent or FB value. He should be judged as any member of a sports team, or even another scholarship recipient would be.

I don't follow football much at all in the off-season, and am, to be honest, a fair-weather fan during the season. My own choice can therefore be delayed for a while.

I absolutely respect each fan/poster's choices in this regards as well.
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

pc in NM wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 1:53 pm I don't follow football much at all in the off-season, and am, to be honest, a fair-weather fan during the season.
And to be honest too, I find football a lot more boring than basketball and started losing interest in UA FB during the later RichRod years.

NFL football has 11 minutes of actual action, and over 100 commercials. https://qz.com/150577/an-average-nfl-ga ... es-of-play
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Merkin wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 1:18 pm I will still watch MBB. If you look at the Pitt's situation on him being benched, that was on Sean Miller. If JDL plays, that's on Fisch. If Fisch benches JDL, I will watch football.
JDL is on Heeke.
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

I don’t think Heeke can find his penis with both hands. I think he’s a rubber stamp.

From what we know, Fisch knew in the Fall that there was a civil suit. If he didn’t bother to find out the details, that’s bad. If he did find out the details and still played JDL, that’s worse. Even if the AD determined they had to honor his scholarship, Fisch didn’t have to play him.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

CardiacCats97 wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 3:08 pm I don’t think Heeke can find his penis with both hands. I think he’s a rubber stamp.

From what we know, Fisch knew in the Fall that there was a civil suit. If he didn’t bother to find out the details, that’s bad. If he did find out the details and still played JDL, that’s worse. Even if the AD determined they had to honor his scholarship, Fisch didn’t have to play him.
Regardless of what an individual fan chooses to do regarding following the cats after this, I think a football coach should any and all of his individual players to achieve the best possible football outcomes....

I'm respecting your choices on this matter.

I'm respecting the coach's choices here.

I'm respecting Heeke's choices.

I'm respecting Robbins' choices. (See my long post above.)
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I remember a time when there were a lot of people who complained that we didn't have a President who cared about athletics.

Robbins loves him his sports
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Good video cast of the reporter in Hawaii who broke the story answering questions

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-VvZY_rH ... FIAQ%3D%3D

I found it interesting our basketball transfer recruit was rolling with those the guys the night of the shooting
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Is it wrong to root for Arizona Football while also hoping the QB gets severely injured?
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

gronk4heisman wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 9:29 am Is it wrong to root for Arizona Football while also hoping the QB gets severely injured?
Yes. WTF!!!

― Kinky Friedman
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Oh boy...
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

Just a guess, but how the JDL Lawyer statement reads, JDL and Latu were charged with the Class 2 assault, but plead guilty to a lesser charge. What they actually plead to? it is sealed, and we may never know.
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

Notice that what the lawyer is saying is untrue is a real narrow slice of the reporting and he didn’t say they were innocent of raping that girl. But an admirable attempt at salvaging JDL’s reputation in any case.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

NVM
Last edited by Merkin on Mon Jul 24, 2023 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Merkin wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 7:37 am He didn't do it but I can't prove it.

Kind of reminds me of that one guy paying $130,000 to some woman for not doing anything either.
Or a family receiving $10M from foreign nationals and their related companies for doing nothing too. Totally agree. ;)

But we digress...
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

EastCoastCat wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 7:43 am

Kind of reminds me of that one guy paying $130,000 to some woman for not doing anything either.
Or a family receiving $10M from foreign nationals and their related companies for doing nothing too. Totally agree. ;)

But we digress...
Not a good statement. To typical of cover-up strategy.

I like to see the apology (apologies?). If anything, supporters of de Laura should be showing evidence of "good citizenship" since then, genuine remorse (for whatever happened), and forthright statements about respect of women and support for recovery...

Of course, assuming any of that exists.

Once lawyers finish their specific legal job, they should bow the F out!!!

IMNSHO, this will more likely aggravate the situation rather than work towards resolution...

― Kinky Friedman
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

pc in NM wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 8:09 am
EastCoastCat wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 7:43 am

But we digress...
Not a good statement. To typical of cover-up strategy.

I like to see the apology (apologies?). If anything, supporters of de Laura should be showing evidence of "good citizenship" since then, genuine remorse (for whatever happened), and forthright statements about respect of women and support for recovery...

Of course, assuming any of that exists.

Once lawyers finish their specific legal job, they should STFU!!!

IMNSHO, this will more likely aggravate the situation rather than work towards resolution...

― Kinky Friedman
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Like everything going on today everyone has taken their position on the topic and probably won't budge with this statement coming out.

Whatever the truth is I still don't see this reflecting well on our program.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

NVM
Last edited by Merkin on Mon Jul 24, 2023 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.