Should Arizona join the Big-12?

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Should the Arizona Wildcats join the Big 12?

Yes
70%
No
7%
Depends
23%

Total votes: 44

Catintheheat

Should Arizona join the Big-12?

Post by Catintheheat »

It seems most posters are clammering for this. The depends option is based on waiting to see what happens with the Pac-12 contract.
EastCoastCat

Re: Should Arizona join the Big-12?

Post by EastCoastCat »

Yes, and twice on Sunday
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

God yes. Screw the PAC-8.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Back the cats. Let’s go Big
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

We'll never be a football powerhouse, so let's really embrace being a basketball school and be more battle tested for March. We'd also be watched by a lot more people in all sports.

No brainer and I'm sad it still hasn't happened yet.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
GlobalCat

Post by GlobalCat »

Nope. I live in California and would like to keep seeing the Cats in person. And would love an option to watch them via Streaming service so I can catch them anywhere across the country (but F the Pac 12 network).

And zero chance I'd roadtrip to go see any Arizona games in Big 12 cities other than Dallas.
Fendicent4ever

Post by Fendicent4ever »

Yes. It won't be Xanadu, but it won't be the Mountain West deluxe with its "aFtEr DaRk!!!" gimmick. More money, seen earlier in the day occasionally on the other side of the continental divide.

Only rivalries I care about are the LA ones. Those are gone. Little brother Tempe Voc can come with if they'd like. Or not, I don't care
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

The best time to make a move was years ago. The next best time is now.
Mike Luke's burner account.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

GlobalCat wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:24 pm Nope. I live in California and would like to keep seeing the Cats in person.
So you want us to join the Big-10?!!!
GlobalCat

Post by GlobalCat »

Alieberman wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 6:05 am
GlobalCat wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:24 pm Nope. I live in California and would like to keep seeing the Cats in person.
So you want us to join the Big-10?!!!

Only if they match USC's payout ;)
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Listening to the Marchand and Ourand podcast right now. They say espn and Fox want a Power 5. They dont want 3 or 4 major conferences only. That may mean spending more to keep and expand the PAC-12
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

PHXCATS wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 2:32 pm Listening to the Marchand and Ourand podcast right now. They say espn and Fox want a Power 5. They dont want 3 or 4 major conferences only. That may mean spending more to keep and expand the PAC-12
So, we just going to gloss over what Fox gave the big-10 with USC and UCLA? None of them are going to overpay.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

OSUCat wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 5:37 pm
PHXCATS wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 2:32 pm Listening to the Marchand and Ourand podcast right now. They say espn and Fox want a Power 5. They dont want 3 or 4 major conferences only. That may mean spending more to keep and expand the PAC-12
So, we just going to gloss over what Fox gave the big-10 with USC and UCLA? None of them are going to overpay.
I just put out what two experts said on their pod
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

Seems like the money will be close, in that case I default to the conference that has actual competition. Most PAC schools are just garbage at the revenue sports so my vote is for the Big12.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

DrWildcat wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 11:08 am Seems like the money will be close, in that case I default to the conference that has actual competition. Most PAC schools are just garbage at the revenue sports so my vote is for the Big12.
I dont know. I think top to bottom, the current PAC is close or better than most major conferences.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

Carcassdragger wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 11:12 am
DrWildcat wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 11:08 am Seems like the money will be close, in that case I default to the conference that has actual competition. Most PAC schools are just garbage at the revenue sports so my vote is for the Big12.
I dont know. I think top to bottom, the current PAC is close or better than most major conferences.
I really couldn't disagree more, we have been near the bottom of the P5 for awhile now. Also, assuming "current PAC" means you are including USC and UCLA? If so, you need to make that evaluation with them gone because that is what we are talking about here.

The PAC really hasn't been legitimately competitive nationally in football for awhile and basketball will be a joke pretty soon....Arizona v Oregon and thats it.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

You cant make decisions based on basketball. I know that is the most followed sport at UA but you cant do that.

The experts believe a deal will be reach for broadcast rights with the PAC-12 by Thanksgiving and that it will be millions per year higher than the Big 12.

This is what we need to know. How much is the deal for? Can George K bring in anyone of note besides SDSU? When we know those answers then Robbins and Heeke can make the best decision.

If UA has an out in case shit gets crazy with Oregon or Washington or Notre Dame, I see no reason why staying with the PAC-12 until the next round of shifts starts a year or two before the SEC and Big 10 deals are done is not a decent option.

Sometimes the move that seems the best at first is not always best. See Sean Miller. Yeah he never made a final four but he really did well here and he was not at the top of the initial list
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

PHXCATS wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 11:47 am You cant make decisions based on basketball. I know that is the most followed sport at UA but you cant do that.

The experts believe a deal will be reach for broadcast rights with the PAC-12 by Thanksgiving and that it will be millions per year higher than the Big 12.

This is what we need to know. How much is the deal for? Can George K bring in anyone of note besides SDSU? When we know those answers then Robbins and Heeke can make the best decision.

If UA has an out in case shit gets crazy with Oregon or Washington or Notre Dame, I see no reason why staying with the PAC-12 until the next round of shifts starts a year or two before the SEC and Big 10 deals are done is not a decent option.

Sometimes the move that seems the best at first is not always best. See Sean Miller. Yeah he never made a final four but he really did well here and he was not at the top of the initial list
Its not just a basketball decision though. IMO football will be a near wash. Oregon is the most recognizable football brand left in the PAC-Big12 but I think the Big12 will be better top to bottom in most years. I also appreciate the increase fan passion in the Big12. Basketball is then the next most important sport and I'll say it again, the PAC is about to become absolute garbage in basketball.

Which experts believe the PAC12 will have a deal that is millions higher? I just haven't seen that.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

DrWildcat wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 12:04 pm
PHXCATS wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 11:47 am You cant make decisions based on basketball. I know that is the most followed sport at UA but you cant do that.

Its not just a basketball decision though. IMO football will be a near wash. Oregon is the most recognizable football brand left in the PAC-Big12 but I think the Big12 will be better top to bottom in most years. I also appreciate the increase fan passion in the Big12. Basketball is then the next most important sport and I'll say it again, the PAC is about to become absolute garbage in basketball.

Which experts believe the PAC12 will have a deal that is millions higher? I just haven't seen that.
Marchaund and Ourand. Said it on their podcast yesterday
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I don't buy what any "experts" say. Negotiations are extremely confidential and any leaks would be minimal as they would cause job loss.

They are just doing best guess scenarios.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

Marchand and Ourand have deep connections with many media big wigs. Canzaro also said he thinks the PAC contract will be larger than the BIG 12, and Canzaro has good connections in Eugene and Seattle. They are doing more than just best guessing. They are reporting on the information they receive, and these journalists have zero reason to pass along BS. Their reputations are on the line, and it would be shocking if the PAC contract is smaller than the BIG 12.

Oregon will be the flag bearer for PAC football after USC leaves, but SC hasn't won the conference since 2017. Since SC last won the conference, Oregon, Washington, and Utah all have at least 1 conference championship. We'll be fine in football.

Losing UCLA will mean the PAC takes a hit in basketball. We become the flag bearer. But UCLA's last PAC Basketball Championship was 12/13. Since then, Arizona, Oregon, and Washington all have won a regular season title. Basketball also tends to be cyclical when it comes to conferences. The blue bloods tend to stay on top, but the middle often rise and fall. Right now, the BIG 12 is up, with their blue blood Kansas leading the way. But schools like TTech? No guarantee they stay a consistent tournament team every year.

Bottom line, we'll make more money this round in the PAC by all accounts. And while the BIG 12 is better in basketball today, it's not worth leaving for basketball only, especially if it means less money.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

BS. We should bolt as soon as possible. Just mistake after mistake and I am waiting for the next.

BTW , we have won multiple conferences championships since 2013. I also think we are the flag bearer for basketball in this conference and have been for a good while

This is exactly the same kind of lack of respect we have received wives from this two but, poorly run conference. Do you happen to work for the PAC because you exemplify their lack of respect.

Thus conference blows on so many levels. Time to move on out.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

azcat49 wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 12:45 pm BS. We should bolt as soon as possible. Just mistake after mistake and I am waiting for the next.

BTW , we have won multiple conferences championships since 2013. I also think we are the flag bearer for basketball in this conference and have been for a good while

This is exactly the same kind of lack of respect we have received wives from this two but, poorly run conference. Do you happen to work for the PAC because you exemplify their lack of respect.

Thus conference blows on so many levels. Time to move on out.
UCLA and Arizona have been the PAC men's basketball flag bearers for years. But since UCLA last won an outright PAC men's regular season championship, Oregon and Arizona have won multiples, and UW won one too. With UCLA going, Arizona remains a flag bearer, and Oregon moves up a little in stature in my opinion.

I was no fan of Larry Scott. But he's gone. We should give Klivakoff a chance.

I see the BIG 12 as a at best, a lateral move. Now if Oregon and UW go B1G and the PAC crumbles, a lateral move becomes very attractive. But today? A lateral move at best for less money for what we hope will be better basketball competition doesn't make sense to me. Again, assuming all media reports are true, BIG 12 will mean less money. It will also mean traveling to areas with less UA alumni and less prospective UA students, as more UA students come from California and Washington than Texas.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Yes we understand your position but a vast majority simply disagree.

Your initial post read like we have won one title since 2013 rather than saying we have literally owned this conference and carried it.

Bottom line is most of us agree to disagree. We are tired of how poorly run this conference is. The late starts, the incognito TV opportunities, the lost revenues and the terrible officiating. I didn’t even mention the total lack of respect (can you imagine the BIG 12 putting a bounty out for its flagship program or the ACC targeting Duke/NC?).

We all know it’s time. Let’s go BIG together
Last edited by azcat49 on Fri Nov 04, 2022 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

azcat49 wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 1:31 pm Yes we understand your position but a vast majority simply disagree.

Your initial post read like we have won one title since 2013 rather than saying we have literally owned this conference and carried it.

Bottom line is most of us agree to disagree. We are tired of how poorly run this conference is. The late starts, the incognito TV opportunities, the list revenues and the terrible officiating. I didn’t even mention the total lack of respect (can you imagine the BIG 12 putting a bounty out for its flagship program or the ACC targeting Duke/NC?).

We cu all know it’s time. Let’s go BIG together
BIG 12 Tier 3 rights are now owned by ESPN. Most of our football games are Tier 3, and our home games will still be late at night, especially early in the season when it's still very hot. Is ESPN+ better than the PAC12 Network? I would also imagine that if Amazon is the PAC streaming partner, they will work to put the PAC-12 Network onto DirecTV Business, which at least put the PAC-12 Network on in sports bars.

Think the PAC has the monopoly on poor officiating? Here's an SI Article from last year claiming its the BIG 12 with the worst referees (https://www.si.com/college/texas/news/e ... texas-tech)

Bottom line is the BIG 12 is a lateral move at best, for less money. If we're out of any other options, then we can go. Until then, we should put the BIG 12 on hold. Which is what every PAC President has decided to do for this round. After we sign our contract, the discussion will pick up again around 2028, which would be 2 years before the BIG 12, and presumably the PAC contract runs out.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

The sell to ESPN will be women's college basketball in the PAC. It fills a time slot and is on the rise. You will normally have 2 or 3 top teams and in a good year maybe 5. We only have two consistently good football teams in the PAC.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

TCU making the CFP. The Big 12 still isn't good enough for Arizona still?
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

With CFP expansion and the shitty tv deal numbers for the Big 12 I wonder how many would change their vote.

Keep in mind Texas Tech and Baylor are not historically good basketball schools

Colorado has to know a better deal is coming for the PAC if they signed Sanders to that deal
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

PHXCATS wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:28 am With CFP expansion and the shitty tv deal numbers for the Big 12 I wonder how many would change their vote.

Colorado has to know a better deal is coming for the PAC if they signed Sanders to that deal
Their TV deal numbers aren't shitty and they will have better partners than the Pac 12, who will have to make a deal with Amazon and ESPN Late night and that's it. The Big 12 has won. I couldn't give two fucks less about CFP Expansion. You take care of this basketball program and as long as the football program isn't being damaged by joining the Big 12 (it won't be) then this is a no brainer.

Keep in mind Texas Tech and Baylor are far superior to anything in this conference not named Arizona with only Oregon coming close. Your argument is stupid. I award you zero points and may god kick you out of this fanbase.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Merkin wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:25 am TCU making the CFP. The Big 12 still isn't good enough for Arizona still?
TCU/Kansas State had better ratings with competition than USC/Utah did with literally zero competition. Tell me again how the Pac 12 is going to get a super duper TV deal that makes the Big 12 look bad.
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

PHXCATS wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:28 am With CFP expansion and the shitty tv deal numbers for the Big 12 I wonder how many would change their vote.

You think they would have signed a different coach based on how they feel about their current conference affiliation as opposed to looking to change that conference affiliation? Isn’t it more logical that they’re looking to make themselves as attractive as possible to the best conference possible?
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

CardiacCats97 wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:37 am

You think they would have signed a different coach based on how they feel about their current conference affiliation as opposed to looking to change that conference affiliation? Isn’t it more logical that they’re looking to make themselves as attractive as possible to the best conference possible?
You cannot commit that kind of money to Sanders unless you know you have an extremely high chance of getting it. I am sure the big boosters already were involved and the Colorado AD still said they were far short on the money. What else is there because the Big 12 numbers aint it
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

When I feel the need to become more stupid...this thread does not disappoint.

We say "yes" to a Big 12 invite before they are done asking the question.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

PHXCATS wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:51 am
CardiacCats97 wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:37 am

You cannot commit that kind of money to Sanders unless you know you have an extremely high chance of getting it. I am sure the big boosters already were involved and the Colorado AD still said they were far short on the money. What else is there because the Big 12 numbers aint it
The conference is going to get similar money to the Big 12, so the money was always going to be there no matter which conference they end up in. Deion isn't making Nick Saban money or anything. His salary isn't exactly breaking records. Any P5 FBS school would be able to afford his salary.

Either way how the hell is anybody on this site sticking up for the Pac-12 or its future? It's beyond me.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Just seems like this will not happen this cycle and we will languish further into oblivion as a conference.
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

Saying Colorado wouldn’t have dedicated $6M a year to Deion unless the PAC was about to become a premiere conference seems like the most wishful application of the Butterfly Effect I’ve ever witnessed.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

CardiacCats97 wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:51 pm Saying Colorado wouldn’t have dedicated $6M a year to Deion unless the PAC was about to become a premiere conference seems like the most wishful application of the Butterfly Effect I’ve ever witnessed.
Well you are taking it way too far but yes I absolutely believe that the PAC-12 will get more than the Big 12 on their TV deal. I thought that before and this makes me more confident in that
Basketcats

Post by Basketcats »

Level of competition in basketball alone warrants the migration to the Big XII. To a certain extent, even football competition would be stiffer I think. To hell with the PAC. Time to move on to bigger and better things.

#PACisDead #beardownXII
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

We just need to GTFO of this sinking conference.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

ChooChooCat wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:35 am
Merkin wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:25 am TCU making the CFP. The Big 12 still isn't good enough for Arizona still?
TCU/Kansas State had better ratings with competition than USC/Utah did with literally zero competition. Tell me again how the Pac 12 is going to get a super duper TV deal that makes the Big 12 look bad.
Part of that is the time the game was played. You lost a big portion of the east coast. Play that game at noon Saturday and it would have been different. Big 12 has not invited us yet and living in California there is a lot of talk about UCLA even leaving the conference. They admit they can't stop them from leaving but will take other UCLA funding to insure California is not penalized.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

azcat49 wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:44 pm Just seems like this will not happen this cycle and we will languish further into oblivion as a conference.
Correct.

The Pac-12 is headed for death, it's just going to take another cycle. Why we are choosing to wait for that to inevitably happen instead of being proactive is beyond me. Arizona is far from a safe position for the future.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

TheCat wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:06 pm
Part of that is the time the game was played. You lost a big portion of the east coast. Play that game at noon Saturday and it would have been different. Big 12 has not invited us yet and living in California there is a lot of talk about UCLA even leaving the conference. They admit they can't stop them from leaving but will take other UCLA funding to insure California is not penalized.
We have an open invitation to the Big 12 at this very moment. We're the ones saying no, because we're scared.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

PHXCATS wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:56 pm
CardiacCats97 wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:51 pm Saying Colorado wouldn’t have dedicated $6M a year to Deion unless the PAC was about to become a premiere conference seems like the most wishful application of the Butterfly Effect I’ve ever witnessed.
Well you are taking it way too far but yes I absolutely believe that the PAC-12 will get more than the Big 12 on their TV deal. I thought that before and this makes me more confident in that
Cool, you can brag about making a few pennies more than Kansas State, while Kansas State is on ESPN/FOX and we're on fucking Amazon. You don't take pennies more to obtain worse coverage. That's a fool's bet. The school with better coverage will be better in the future. George Kliavkoff and the Pac-12 presidents are all fools and the latter have proven that time and time again (paying Larry Scott more than any other commissioner in the country for one). You are also a fool obviously. Fool.

I'm so tired of you Pac-12 rah rah guys. The conference does Arizona literally no favors. Jacob Cowing was only honorable mention in this conference. Dorian Singer led the conference in yards and could only muster 2nd team. This conference doesn't do anything positive for Arizona. Hell during the Sean Miller years it did its best to hurt Arizona. Not only that, but the conference literally has a ticking clock left for its life, yet there are people like you who are around here holding on to their Blockbuster stock swearing they're going to turn it around and that whole Netflix thing is just a fad. FOOL. YOU ARE A FOOL.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

I hope the PAC survives and prospers with the remaining schools intact and maybe a couple of additions.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Carcassdragger wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 6:05 pm I hope the PAC survives and prospers with the remaining schools intact and maybe a couple of additions.
It may survive. There’s not a universe that exists where it’ll prosper.
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

ChooChooCat wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:25 pm
TheCat wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:06 pm
We have an open invitation to the Big 12 at this very moment. We're the ones saying no, because we're scared.
Arizona and the BigXII are such a natural match that only the idiots who run our AD and Admin wouldn’t be able to see it.

I’m not sure if they’re scared of ABOR rejecting the move because Crow and ASU aren’t on board or they just don’t want to be the third team to leave the precious bullshit PAC10, but holy shit we need some people with a vision in charge of these decisions.

Not only would we benefit from being in the BigXII but we would be one of the marquee teams in that league and we’d be treated as such. That would be a very welcome change from the days of the conference actively shitting on our programs.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

If we are a marquee team in a conference, we'd be the big fish in a small pond. I'd rather swim in a bigger pond.

And K-State? If they struggle and become a .500 team, then their games will either be early morning. Or on ESPN+. And Amazon is better than ESPN+. Amazon shows the NFL now. ESPN+ is where you find the NHL or MLS.

Last, if the PAC does fall apart, the fact that we would be a marquee team means we would have an invite to the BIG 12. Oregon and UW have basically said the BIG 12 is too small for them. We should have the same attitude until there are no other options.
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

AzCatFan2 wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:06 pm If we are a marquee team in a conference, we'd be the big fish in a small pond. I'd rather swim in a bigger pond.
What’s hilarious is that you think the PAC without USC and UCLA is that bigger pond.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Everyone acting like the Big 12 is hot shit and been the premier basketball conference for 50 years. The only school with any long term success is Kansas.

The Big 12 TV deal is shit and people are acting like it is 2MM less per school per year than the Big Ten

The Big 12 will always be there for UA. Always.

The most foolish thing that can possibly be done is to leave the PAC now (unless you got a Big Ten or SEC offer) before knowing the figures and who can join the PAC
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

CardiacCats97 wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:26 pm
AzCatFan2 wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:06 pm If we are a marquee team in a conference, we'd be the big fish in a small pond. I'd rather swim in a bigger pond.
What’s hilarious is that you think the PAC without USC and UCLA is that bigger pond.
Oregon, Washington, and Stanford are bigger fish than any school that will be in the BIG 12 once Texas and OU leave. And it's likely the remaining PAC schools will get a larger TV contract then the BIG 12. It's a bigger pond. Much bigger? No. But bigger nonetheless.