QB derby

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Spaceman Spiff

QB derby

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Someone needed to create this thread.

It's probably (at least in my opinion) the closest thing to defining next year. The spring game left me optimistic that we'll have competent play, but didn't finalize much.
ASUHATER!

Re: QB derby

Post by ASUHATER! »

am i correct to assume it's mostly a 3 horse race between solomon, scroggins and randall?
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I want Dizzy Scroggins!
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ASUHATER! wrote:am i correct to assume it's mostly a 3 horse race between solomon, scroggins and randall?
I got that sense from the spring game, but I don't claim to be an expert. Scroggins looked to have the edge in experience and trust, basically a more gifted Denker. Randall is easily the best athlete, and could be a beast if his skill and mental game catches up. Solomon is the middle ground, higher ceiling than Scroggins, but not as raw as Randall.

It seemed like Scroggins had the inside track at the spring game, but...there's a long way to go.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

hmm so scroggins is the rs senior with the experience...randall is the run everywhere dual threat kid that might be able to throw and solomon is the kid with the best balance of athleticism and throwing but is the youngest with least experience....

blahh. personally...since we have a relatively easy 4 games to start...i'd play scroggins and solomon a half each in the season opener and then give it to who performed best the rest of the way. if solomon shows that he's even a little better in the season opener...then i'd give him the job for the remaining 11 games of the season. he's only a freshman and we would have him for at least 1-2 more years (0 with scroggins, maybe 1 with randall). gotta give the young guy time playing so he can be our guy for 1, 2, 3 years more down the road.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Not sure how you would see Solomon having a higher ceiling than Scroggins... unless you are basing that entirely on the fact that he has 4 years of eligibility remaining rather than just one. Scroggins definitely has Solomon beat on size & arm strength - possibly even speed. I'd say Solomon has the intangibles and game-smarts on his side.

To me, Scroggins is the anti-Denker... TONS of potential but can he get the most out of it?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I compared Scroggins to Denker because he is what he is at this point. I said he's more physically gifted, and he is, but I don't really get the tons of potential angle. He's had plenty of CFB under his belt. What he's going to do with it, most of that is in the books.

Randall has the highest ceiling. Strong, fast and can chuck the ball through a brick wall. Whether he and Solomon emerge as real contenders, well, that's why it isn't August yet.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

According to knowledgeable posters, Solomon ran a 5.1 40 hand timed which was posted on the locker room bulletin board.

I really want to see Scroggins see the field to see his cannon of an arm. Definitely the anti-Denker.

Any comparison of Randall to Pat White? RR did pretty OK with White.
TuiTouchdown

Post by TuiTouchdown »

merkin wrote:According to knowledgeable posters, Solomon ran a 5.1 40 hand timed which was posted on the locker room bulletin board.

I really want to see Scroggins see the field to see his cannon of an arm. Definitely the anti-Denker.

Just from the spring game, it looked like Randall couldn't hit some of the short/intermediate throws. He has a strong arm and can zip it, but he couldn't hit one of the RBs in the flat, he overthrew some guys if I recall. Our QB is going to need to get the ball into the hands of our fucking awesome receivers (can I cuss here? I guess there's one way to find out).

Chief probably has more to say on the way of comparison. I'm just spouting off what I remember.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Yeah, apparently you can cuss. I had the same takeaway with Randall. Ask him to throw it 70 yards and he can
Ask him to consistently hit 7 yard slants, that's the issue.
Tlinders

Post by Tlinders »

So even though he had the highest percentage of completions, we are completely writing Brewer off?
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Tlinders wrote:So even though he had the highest percentage of completions, we are completely writing Brewer off?
Yes.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

After Denker getting the starting nod last year I don't think you can write anyone off out of the top 4.

But Chief knows...
Scallywag

Post by Scallywag »

TuiTouchdown wrote:
merkin wrote:According to knowledgeable posters, Solomon ran a 5.1 40 hand timed which was posted on the locker room bulletin board.

Just from the spring game, it looked like Randall couldn't hit some of the short/intermediate throws. He has a strong arm and can zip it, but he couldn't hit one of the RBs in the flat, he overthrew some guys if I recall. Our QB is going to need to get the ball into the hands of our fucking awesome receivers (can I cuss here? I guess there's one way to find out).

Chief probably has more to say on the way of comparison. I'm just spouting off what I remember.

Regarding Randall, Tui had his lows when Stoops gave him his shot. Tui had a cannon & our 2 & 3's were use to his arm strength, not the case when he started throwing to the 1's. Yes, Randall did miss on a couple throws during the Spring game, but he also had balls that will be completed when the receivers have more time to adjust to the velocity of his throws. That is taking place now & will continue into Fall camp.

Randall has the tools to win this thing, we all know what he has to master to win the starting spot. We will see soon enough if he put in the time & effort, it's all on him at this point.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

TuiTouchdown wrote:

I was sitting behing some of the 2014 players not suited up and everytime Randall threw myself and them groaned and shook our heads. I tapped Williams after his roll out where he threw to Grigsby's wrong side, and just said...man, so much talent...no touch...he said. For real. A lot of work for Randall to do. He still has to pick up the speed of the offense and learn to make his reads quickly. He let's plays die like Denker did and then just wants to tuck and run. You can't do that with this talented lot of receivers and a question mark running game.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

TuiTouchdown wrote:

Randall wants to prove himself more than anybody on the roster. He's hungry. He had trouble with accuracy, but now the coaches can work with him this summer and I wouldn't be surprised if he made a huge jump throwing wise by the time fall rolls around. I think we'll see considerable improvement with most of the QB options.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Love it, great to see you here CatinFl
Daryl Zero

Post by Daryl Zero »

I'm hoping its Solomon mainly because I want to stop this 1 year and out thing we are doing. I would like one guy to be the qb for 2 - 4 years.
Erlich Bachmann: Richard wrote the code, yes, but the inspiration was clear. Let me ask you something. How fast do you think you could jack off every guy in this room? Cause I know how long it would take me. And I could prove it.
Folesfor10K

Post by Folesfor10K »

Did I miss somewhere that Brewer left the team?!? Add to the other QB skill sets below that Brewer is probably the best standard Pro Style QB who has the best ability to sit back in the pocket and hit receivers short and long with accuracy. Might be just what we need this year with a huge hole at RB, a solid O Line, and Jones, Denson, Hill, Neal, Phillips, Griffey, etc, to throw to...

My predicted Pass/Run percentages depending on who wins the job

Brewer 65/35 (Best Pro Style QB)
Scroggins 50/50 (Matt Scott Esque but can run more with plan b and c in case he gets hurt)
Solomon 45/55 (Pretty similar to Scroggins but think his wheels are better)
Randall 35/65 (legs are best attribute though the cannon is there)

[quote="ASUHATER!"]hmm so scroggins is the rs senior with the experience...randall is the run everywhere dual threat kid that might be able to throw and solomon is the kid with the best balance of athleticism and throwing but is the youngest with least experience....
quote]
Why is fast food healthy? Why do skinny people have SLOW metabolisms? Check out my nutrition blog for a fresh, new perspective on nutrition.

My two favorite teams:
1. U of A
2. Whoever plays ASU this week
thomallet

Post by thomallet »

I will only make one prediction for the qb spot.
All 4 are a vast improvement talent wise over Denker.
3 of the 4 are in their second year with the team.
Last year Denker won the job based on his ability to run the O to RR's standard, and did a fine job.
We have a very good experienced OL.
We have perhaps the best receiving corps ever assembled at Arizona.
We have some less than stellar, but good running backs.
I would think getting the ball to our receivers via passing, screens, reverses, and even putting them in the backfield at times will happen!
I say we pass 55-60/run 40-45 percent.
Brewer has the weakest arm of the 4, and is least mobile as well which puts him behind the rest.
Randall falls behind only on learning the system and accuracy, but can catch up.
RR like experience and confidence, so the Sr wins the job.
Whoever it is, we will win with him, and there will be at least one game where we question why the other guy was not playing.
The ground game will be good enough, because nobody will be able to cheat up on us with our passing game!
Prediction is 10 wins!
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Folesfor10K wrote:Did I miss somewhere that Brewer left the team?!? Add to the other QB skill sets below that Brewer is probably the best standard Pro Style QB who has the best ability to sit back in the pocket and hit receivers short and long with accuracy. Might be just what we need this year with a huge hole at RB, a solid O Line, and Jones, Denson, Hill, Neal, Phillips, Griffey, etc, to throw to...

Scroggins 50/50 (Matt Scott Esque but can run more with plan b and c in case he gets hurt)
ASUHATER! wrote:hmm so scroggins is the rs senior with the experience...randall is the run everywhere dual threat kid that might be able to throw and solomon is the kid with the best balance of athleticism and throwing but is the youngest with least experience....
quote]

Say what? Oh Man we gotta talk. ;-)
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Have not heard anything about Brewer leaving.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Folesfor10K

Post by Folesfor10K »

Irish27 wrote:Have not heard anything about Brewer leaving.
Oh yeah I was just saying that tongue in cheek because there were 20 posts about the QB battle but not one person mentioned Brewer as a candidate and I think he may bet a good fit until we have a better RB to run the spread with. That being said I'm probably one of the least informed people here lol, so there's probably good reason no one's talking about Brewer.
Why is fast food healthy? Why do skinny people have SLOW metabolisms? Check out my nutrition blog for a fresh, new perspective on nutrition.

My two favorite teams:
1. U of A
Folesfor10K

Post by Folesfor10K »

I agree almost entirely...though I think the stars would have to align for 10 wins.
thomallet wrote:I will only make one prediction for the qb spot.
Last year Denker won the job based on his ability to run the O to RR's standard, and did a fine job.
I would think getting the ball to our receivers via passing, screens, reverses, and even putting them in the backfield at times will happen!
Brewer has the weakest arm of the 4, and is least mobile as well which puts him behind the rest.
Randall falls behind only on learning the system and accuracy, but can catch up.
Whoever it is, we will win with him, and there will be at least one game where we question why the other guy was not playing.
The ground game will be good enough, because nobody will be able to cheat up on us with our passing game!
Prediction is 10 wins!

My two favorite teams:
1. U of A
Salty

Post by Salty »

Whoever makes the fewest mistakes...
thomallet

Post by thomallet »

Folesfor10K wrote:I agree almost entirely...though I think the stars would have to align for 10 wins.
thomallet wrote:I will only make one prediction for the qb spot.
Prediction is 10 wins!
I am counting on a big bowl win in that total!
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

CalStateTempe wrote:Love it, great to see you here CatinFl
:D
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

Folesfor10K wrote:Did I miss somewhere that Brewer left the team?!? Add to the other QB skill sets below that Brewer is probably the best standard Pro Style QB who has the best ability to sit back in the pocket and hit receivers short and long with accuracy. Might be just what we need this year with a huge hole at RB, a solid O Line, and Jones, Denson, Hill, Neal, Phillips, Griffey, etc, to throw to...

ASUHATER! wrote:hmm so scroggins is the rs senior with the experience...randall is the run everywhere dual threat kid that might be able to throw and solomon is the kid with the best balance of athleticism and throwing but is the youngest with least experience....
quote]
People are counting out Brewer including me because he didn't have the best spring and has the least upside of all of the options. Obviously if he can get the ball to the receivers I don't care if he's back there, but he's limited in running and throwing. Scroggins has the cannon as does Randall. Solomon also has a great arm, but has been struggling with the intermediate throws, but has been throwing the deep ball very well from what I've seen. I expect to see a lot of bombs to Neal, Jones, Hill, Phillips, Grant, and are other 40 options at WR
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I'd like to either take my lumps with Solomon and have him for a few seasons or go all in with Dizzy Scroggins. He seems like the real deal AND I'd love for him to get a shot after learning from his behaviors last fall.

That is if he's no longer dizzy and can make the bus on time.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

I'm siding with Chief on this one - Scroggins sounds like he's ready to go, and I hope that he is. A viable deep threat with all of the weapons we have a WR will soften up the middle for the inexperienced RB's and will help the get the running game going.

Who are the CB's and Safeties going to leave open if they bite on play action and come up for run support - Neal or Hill? Good luck with that strategy. I can't wait until we burn the Scummies and Graham Cracka's "blitz every play defense" for some large chunks of real estate deep.
Last edited by wyo-cat on Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
jollything

Post by jollything »

No matter which QB starts I think that QB will be at least a little better than where we started off last season. For all the crap Denker took from us fans he did a good job, and I think that's the baseline for performance this season.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Having a deep threat will open things up - something Denker could never do consistently. The kid was a great Wildcat and gave it his all last season, but he was limited in his abilities. The fact that we won 8 games with him as QB is nothing short of a miracle.
jollything

Post by jollything »

wyo-cat wrote:Having a deep threat will open things up - something Denker could never do consistently. The kid was a great Wildcat and gave it his all last season, but he was limited in his abilities. The fact that we won 8 games with him as QB is nothing short of a miracle.
Exactly. So whoever is taking the snaps, they should do well. This staff continues to work wonders.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Wow, all this FB talk is getting my fired up for the season. When's the first game?!?!
jollything

Post by jollything »

wyo-cat wrote:Wow, all this FB talk is getting my fired up for the season. When's the first game?!?!
84 days, and counting.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I'm still thinking it will be Anu on opening day.
gumby

Post by gumby »

I want the guy who tweets the least. If he's also the best, that's a nice bonus.
Right where I want to be.
Scummy Dick Douglas

Post by Scummy Dick Douglas »

I posted elsewhere, just an FYI, (not that it matters) but the Rivals site has been restored to its previous form.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

SDD - MAO (Storey) is a bigger issue for the exile group. He pissed on us so long and told us it's raining, so he can bugger off as far as this community is concerned.
Scummy Dick Douglas

Post by Scummy Dick Douglas »

Oh I get it, just wanted to point out that the mass exodus seemed to have worked.
BibbysTowelDude

Post by BibbysTowelDude »

Its going to come down to Scroggins and Solomon... I'm not gonna fall into dreaming big on Randall. I'm sorry but accuracy and touch issues at this stage of the game are a big no no. That isn't something that improves a lot in the short term or the long term. It's a death sentence in the quarterbacking world. Randall is going to see the field, but its going to be on designed runs, and special teams. His athleticism is major league. I feel Scroggins at the end of fall camp will be the guy who has the best grasp on what RR wants and needs to do and will thus be our guy, Anu takes the reigns as a redshirt Soph, and should definitely see action some this season and not just because of an injury either.

Brewer was always a super long shot, never got too amped up about him. He isn't the classical RR quarterback obviously and while he has a nice arm, it's actually probably the 4th best in the legit "starter group" and frankly he should head on up to Flagstaff and lead the Lumberjacks.
Last edited by BibbysTowelDude on Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

BibbysTowelDude wrote:Its going to come down to Scroggins and Soloman... I'm not gonna fall into dreaming big on Randall. I'm sorry but accuracy and touch issues at this stage of the game are a big no no. That isn't something that improves a lot in the short term or the long term. It's a death sentence in the quarterbacking world. Randall is going to see the field, but its going to be on designed runs, and special teams. His athleticism is major league. I feel Scroggins at the end of fall camp will be the guy who has the best grasp on what RR wants and needs to do and will thus be our guy, Anu takes the reigns as a redshirt Soph, and should definitely see action some this season and not just because of an injury either.

Brewer was always a super long shot, never got too amped up about him. He isn't the classical RR quarterback obviously and while he has a nice arm, it's actually probably the 4th best in the legit "starter group" and frankly he should head on up to Flagstaff and lead the Lumberjacks.
Pretty much agree with all of this.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Wondering if both Scroggins and Solomon get "plenty' on playing time. At least to start season / extend time for coaches to evaluate under game speed / pressure / game situations / mistakes / timing with receivers. Rodriguez has done this in the past. Times when first arriving at WVU and Michigan, but also did with Pat White and Bednarik in 2005 (White a freshman).

IF Scroggins can minimize mistakes, I can easily see how he takes most of the snaps. Would think Scroggins would need have large enough upside gap between him and #2 qb to keep the starter spot given his last year of eligibility.

Looking forward, 2nd year of a QB (starting or shared playing time) under Rich Rod has turned out pretty well.
Rasheed Marshall WVU 2004- BE Offensive-POY
Pat White WVU 2006-2007- BE Offensive-POY
Dennard Robinson 2010- B1G Offensive-POY

p.s Thanks for creating this forum. I tried twice over last year to join the azcats forum and just sat in a black hole (moderation status). I never was able to post and I tried emailing multiple times but never got a response. Assume others that what to talk UA sports were in that situation.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Welcome RazorsEdge!

Sorry you had that experience, its always great to have folks who just want to talk CATS sports and other stuff. Check out the Forum thread in the basketball section, to get some good insight in the the mismanagement of the other/old site (TOS) and lead to this one being created.

Hope you enjoy.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Anyone with any knowledge of how the summer is going? August can't get here soon enough.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:Wondering if both Scroggins and Solomon get "plenty' on playing time. At least to start season / extend time for coaches to evaluate under game speed / pressure / game situations / mistakes / timing with receivers. Rodriguez has done this in the past. Times when first arriving at WVU and Michigan, but also did with Pat White and Bednarik in 2005 (White a freshman).

IF Scroggins can minimize mistakes, I can easily see how he takes most of the snaps. Would think Scroggins would need have large enough upside gap between him and #2 qb to keep the starter spot given his last year of eligibility.

Looking forward, 2nd year of a QB (starting or shared playing time) under Rich Rod has turned out pretty well.

p.s Thanks for creating this forum. I tried twice over last year to join the azcats forum and just sat in a black hole (moderation status). I never was able to post and I tried emailing multiple times but never got a response. Assume others that what to talk UA sports were in that situation.
Welcome! My uneducated guess would be that the answer largely depends on what is to come. The best case scenario is always that someone separates from the pack. I don't get that sense yet. Scroggins probably gets the first look, but a lot of time is left.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

I'm going to repeat what I said last year - this staff will go with the QB that gives them the best opportunity to win. I have confidence in them, way more than under the Stoops regime and the 'not a good practice player' BS that they labeled current NFL QB Nick Foles.

I know it doesn't do much for the discussion in this thread to say that, so in the tradition of TOS of calling our shot, I'm going with Scroggins.
Scallywag

Post by Scallywag »

RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:Wondering if both Scroggins and Solomon get "plenty' on playing time. At least to start season / extend time for coaches to evaluate under game speed / pressure / game situations / mistakes / timing with receivers. Rodriguez has done this in the past. Times when first arriving at WVU and Michigan, but also did with Pat White and Bednarik in 2005 (White a freshman).

Me too. Whomever was moderating and not responding to my emails can go suck a d!@$!
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/c ... /10034045/

Gimino at azcentral with a QB breakdown. He will be breaking down each week to help the summer go by.

June 16 - Running backs

June 23 - Wide receivers

June 30 - Tight ends/H-backs

July 7 - Offensive linemen

July 14 - Defensive linemen

July 21 - Linebackers

July 28 - Defensive backs

Aug. 4 – Punters, kickers, returners

Aug. 11 - Coaching staff
boat343

Post by boat343 »

I wonder if the coaching staff told Brewer what a long shot it was he'd ever see the field when they courted him? It wasn't like it was a secret he is not the best runner, and just asking a couple people in the know (like his ex coach on the staff) about his arm strength should have uncovered that flaw.