Arizona in the 2015 NBA Draft

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ChooChooCat

Re: Arizona in the 2015 NBA Draft

Post by ChooChooCat »

Chicat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
Chicat wrote:What would it have changed, except Ryan Anderson taking his minutes?
Anderson is better than a senior Ashley, eh? Either Anderson is better than I realize, or you really don't think much of Ashley.
A) I think very highly of Anderson
B) Of course Anderson would have eaten into his minutes. You don't bring in a 15 pt, 8 reb senior transfer to get 10 minutes off the bench.

I'm not sure who would have started in that scenario, but I'd be willing to bet Ashley's minutes would have gone down.
From what I understand Anderson was taken only because Ashley made it very clear he had no intentions of coming back after this season no matter what happened. If that didn't occur then Anderson isn't at Arizona right now.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

enfuego wrote:
azcat49 wrote:If he came back I just don't think he gets any closer to the league than he is now. He may never make it but hey, he can make bank overseas.

The only reason he might have come back was that he loved the college life and valued that degree, ala Tarc.

He would have left after his sophomore season had he not got hurt which with that injury may have hastened his leaving as well.

Just because he did not get drafted doesn't validate anyone's argument he should have stayed
Tarczewski came back, because he wanted another year of playing competitive basketball and knows he would have gone undrafted.
Still mad?

You have to look at it like this, Zeus didn't enter the draft, yet he still got picked as highly as Cliff Alexander and has played in as many NBA games as Joel Embiid.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

ASUHATER! wrote:Obviously you don't understand the conversation so you should probably remove yourself from it.
Anyone advocating that a player "Turn Pro" because he won't get minutes playing at the college level needs to remove himself not only from this discussion but from ANY message board.......period :lol: :lol: :lol:
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Hard to buy into the argument at Ashley was concerned about losing minutes; he has been a starter since his freshman year. Anderson is going to clearly get serious playing time; but he would have likely been a reserve backing up both Ashley and Tarc. It seems more likely that he was anxious to start is pro career. All signs point to the idea that he would have left after his sophomore year had he not been injured; likely under similar draft-status circumstances. He clearly knew the risks, but must have felt the NBA was in reach and that playing the D-league or overseas was a better way to prepare for a NBA career moving forward. Best wishes for his future goals; he played his heart out at Arizona. The kid has talent and it won't be surprising to see him make a NBA roster at some point.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Scheer said some guys are just tired of being in college, going to class, etc. and that was the case with Brandon.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

midnightx wrote:Hard to buy into the argument at Ashley was concerned about losing minutes; he has been a starter since his freshman year. Anderson is going to clearly get serious playing time; but he would have likely been a reserve backing up both Ashley and Tarc. It seems more likely that he was anxious to start is pro career. All signs point to the idea that he would have left after his sophomore year had he not been injured; likely under similar draft-status circumstances. He clearly knew the risks, but must have felt the NBA was in reach and that playing the D-league or overseas was a better way to prepare for a NBA career moving forward. Best wishes for his future goals; he played his heart out at Arizona. The kid has talent and it won't be surprising to see him make a NBA roster at some point.
Exactly. He was just ready to get his pro career started
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
enfuego wrote:
azcat49 wrote:If he came back I just don't think he gets any closer to the league than he is now. He may never make it but hey, he can make bank overseas.

The only reason he might have come back was that he loved the college life and valued that degree, ala Tarc.

He would have left after his sophomore season had he not got hurt which with that injury may have hastened his leaving as well.

Just because he did not get drafted doesn't validate anyone's argument he should have stayed
Tarczewski came back, because he wanted another year of playing competitive basketball and knows he would have gone undrafted.
Still mad?

You have to look at it like this, Zeus didn't enter the draft, yet he still got picked as highly as Cliff Alexander and has played in as many NBA games as Joel Embiid.
:oops: :lol:
Mike Luke's burner account.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

dmjcat wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:Obviously you don't understand the conversation so you should probably remove yourself from it.
Anyone advocating that a player "Turn Pro" because he won't get minutes playing at the college level needs to remove himself not only from this discussion but from ANY message board.......period :lol: :lol: :lol:
It's not that he wouldn't have played, it's that he wouldn't have had enough time to improve his draft stock.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

midnightx wrote:Hard to buy into the argument at Ashley was concerned about losing minutes; he has been a starter since his freshman year. Anderson is going to clearly get serious playing time; but he would have likely been a reserve backing up both Ashley and Tarc. It seems more likely that he was anxious to start is pro career. All signs point to the idea that he would have left after his sophomore year had he not been injured; likely under similar draft-status circumstances. He clearly knew the risks, but must have felt the NBA was in reach and that playing the D-league or overseas was a better way to prepare for a NBA career moving forward. Best wishes for his future goals; he played his heart out at Arizona. The kid has talent and it won't be surprising to see him make a NBA roster at some point.
My argument wasn't that Ashley was concerned with losing minutes and that's why he went pro. I just asked the question, how would coming back another year have changed anything for Ashley (besides him losing minutes to Anderson)? Those thinking he should have come back seem to be under the impression that his on court drive and energy would have dramatically changed, even though we've seen no evidence of that for 3+ years. I'm not convinced.

Oh, and dmjcat, you seem to be under the impression that the NBA is the only way to earn money playing basketball. That's so cute. I think Ashley knowing there was a good chance he was a second rounder knew those other options even if you are ignorant of them.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?