2015 NFL Season

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

SCCats

Re: 2015 NFL Season

Post by SCCats »

Despite reports early in the offseason that the Seattle Seahawks and Russell Wilson were close to a $100+ million contract extension, it appears that the two sides are actually nowhere close to a deal.

Recently, Jason La Canfora of CBSSports.com reported that the Seahawks were offering Wilson a deal comparable to those of Andy Dalton and Colin Kaepernick. Danny O'Neil of 710 ESPN in Seattle put the value of Seattle's offer at $80 million over four years.

That's a far cry from where Wilson wants his contract to be, which is reportedly at or above the seven-year, $126.7 million contract signed by Jay Cutler of the Chicago Bears, the richest contract in NFL history in terms of total value.

NFL insider Jason Cole of Bleacher Report calls the Cutler contract "the starting point basically for where Russell Wilson wants to be."
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/russell-w ... 21184.html

And now players are using the Bears' abortion against their own teams. "Well I'm better than Cutler so..."

Time to let him play out the last year of his rookie deal and say bye bye.
Coop Cat

Post by Coop Cat »

Coop Cat

Post by Coop Cat »

Now that is a lot of money for an average quarterback:
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Jay Cutler just sent Cam a thank you card.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Coop Cat

Post by Coop Cat »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Adam Schefter needs to be punched in the face
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Someone is going to lose their job over HIPAA rules.

Meanwhile:
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Prior to the incident:

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

The stupidity is astounding...
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

As a legit Superbowl contender, Peace out Seattle
Coop Cat

Post by Coop Cat »

SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Aldon Smith-Still on the 49ers about two years after he probably should've been let go...

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13393 ... it-run-dui
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

J-E-T-S!!!!

Wow.... I have no love for Geno Smith... but this is insane
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Cris Carter said it was a "lack of leadership" on Geno's part that allowed him to be sucker punched.

Uh, he realizes what a sucker punch is, doesn't he?
Coop Cat

Post by Coop Cat »

Per Adam Schefter's FB Post:
Story behind the punch that broke Geno Smith's jaw in two places:

At the heart of the dispute between former Jets LB IK Enemkpali and quarterback Geno Smith is $600 that Enemkpali believed Smith owed him, per league sources. Enemkpali purchased a plane ticket for Smith to attend his July 11 football camp at Pfugerville High School in Pfugerville, Texas. However, days before the camp, a person close to Smith was killed in a motorcycle accident in Miami and Smith did not attend Enemkpali’s camp, per sources. After Smith did not attend, Enemkpali demanded that the Jets’ quarterback refund him the $600 he allegedly used to purchase a plane ticket. Smith told Enemkpali he would reimburse him the money, but he did not. Enkempali confronted Smith today about the money and the confrontation ended in a punch and broken jaw.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Good grief. That is straight up barbaric. And I always laugh when Cris Carter, a true model of a human being, gets on his soapbox.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Alieberman wrote:J-E-T-S!!!!

Wow.... I have no love for Geno Smith... but this is insane
I've been "watching" this story the last couple days.

The number of people that have come to Geno's defense has been amazingly small. Like ultra, ultra small.

So that might tell us a bit about what was really going on.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

rgdeuce wrote:Good grief. That is straight up barbaric. And I always laugh when Cris Carter, a true model of a human being, gets on his soapbox.
You're gonna love this...
Cris Carter speaking to the 2014 NFL rookies at the Rookie Symposium, a seminar designed to give players coming into the league advice on life and how to handle becoming an NFL player. Last week, Chris Borland, in an ESPN article, claimed that an unnamed veteran player advised the rookies to “have a fall guy” for when they got into trouble.

“Get yourself a fall guy,” Borland says one of the former players advised. The former player, whom Borland declined to name, told the rookies that if they ran into legal trouble, their designated 
fall guy would be there to take the blame and, if necessary, go to jail. “‘We’ll bail him out,'” Borland says the former player assured them.

Borland was appalled. “I was just sitting there thinking, ‘Should I walk out? What am I supposed to do?’ ” he recalls. He says he didn’t leave the room because he didn’t want to cause a scene, but the incident stayed with him.

Well, the two players are confirmed because the video is still, or at least was this afternoon, posted on NFL.com. They are Cris Carter and Warren Sapp, who has had plenty of his own issues since being involved in that talk, including the solicitation of prostitution arrest, and no longer works for nfl.com.

Basically, the NFL held a seminar and a nice piece of advice was to pay for other people to get arrested and lie on your behalf. Cris Carter has thus demonstrated what being a real leader is about.
Carter was wearing his Hall of Fame jacket at the time...
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Looks like the Packers had a bad day today.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Chicat wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:Good grief. That is straight up barbaric. And I always laugh when Cris Carter, a true model of a human being, gets on his soapbox.
You're gonna love this...
Cris Carter speaking to the 2014 NFL rookies at the Rookie Symposium, a seminar designed to give players coming into the league advice on life and how to handle becoming an NFL player. Last week, Chris Borland, in an ESPN article, claimed that an unnamed veteran player advised the rookies to “have a fall guy” for when they got into trouble.

“Get yourself a fall guy,” Borland says one of the former players advised. The former player, whom Borland declined to name, told the rookies that if they ran into legal trouble, their designated 
fall guy would be there to take the blame and, if necessary, go to jail. “‘We’ll bail him out,'” Borland says the former player assured them.

Borland was appalled. “I was just sitting there thinking, ‘Should I walk out? What am I supposed to do?’ ” he recalls. He says he didn’t leave the room because he didn’t want to cause a scene, but the incident stayed with him.

Well, the two players are confirmed because the video is still, or at least was this afternoon, posted on NFL.com. They are Cris Carter and Warren Sapp, who has had plenty of his own issues since being involved in that talk, including the solicitation of prostitution arrest, and no longer works for nfl.com.

Basically, the NFL held a seminar and a nice piece of advice was to pay for other people to get arrested and lie on your behalf. Cris Carter has thus demonstrated what being a real leader is about.
Carter was wearing his Hall of Fame jacket at the time...

C'mon man! He was just talking about Lee Majors.

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Lol. Not surprised at all.

Celebrities have been doing this forever. Known as weedcarriers in the rap industry. Dudes always carry the entourages weed and coke, hide the gun, or take the rap when stuff goes down. Certainly not something that should be pushed in an event like that though, terrible.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Quite a debut by Mariota
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

T-Sizzle from Ball So Hard University is out for the season.

-JB
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Apparently the Giants went to the Chris Petersen school of time clock management.
-JB
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

That was terrible. You have to run on 3rd down there, get the clock in the 40s, and as long as I am not losing a big chunk on third, I am running again on 4th. That's a far better risk than throwing on 3rd down. Make them go 99 yards in 30 some seconds and no timeouts to win the game, or 65 to have a shot to tie with a long field goal. Romo had the comfort of time on that drive to throw two short dumpoffs in the middle of the field for big gains.

Lost in all of that, on two plays late with the clock winding, Eli snapped the ball with 20 seconds on the play clock inside Dallas territory. While those two plays helped move the ball down the field and MAYBE caught Dallas sleeping expecting him to run it down further, there was an additional 40 seconds that could have come off.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Bradford a sooooooooo awesome for Philly. :lol:

Suck it chip. Hope you guys and your shiity fanbase never win another game.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Those 49er uniforms are hilaribad.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Rams dline is monstrous. I'm tuning up my bandwagon. Been a long time since I've given a damn about the NFL.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Coop Cat

Post by Coop Cat »

Chicat wrote:Those 49er uniforms are hilaribad.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

For anyone that saw the Eagles game, how did Bradford play?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

SCCats wrote:For anyone that saw the Eagles game, how did Bradford play?
Pretty well. The last pick he threw which iced the game hit his receiver in the hands and then in the helmet. Definitely not Bradford's fault there. Otherwise he played well enough to win the game, that's for sure.
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

Chicat wrote:
SCCats wrote:For anyone that saw the Eagles game, how did Bradford play?
Pretty well. The last pick he threw which iced the game hit his receiver in the hands and then in the helmet. Definitely not Bradford's fault there. Otherwise he played well enough to win the game, that's for sure.
Yeah he actually played very well in the 2nd half. My only observation is that o-line better get their shit together or Bradford's only gonna last a few more weeks.
Coop Cat

Post by Coop Cat »

Jason Pierre-Paul and his jacked up hand:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/footb ... ts+Twitter
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Nice going Chefs! :lol:

-JB
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

UAEebs86 wrote:Nice going Chefs! :lol:

Great googily moogily...
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

just saw this on twitter.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Merkin wrote:just saw this on twitter.
Fractured left clavicle.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Tough break for the Cowboys. Luckily, the Eagles are a damn mess and they have a two game lead on them and the Giants, and the Redskins are ehh. Two of their next three games are still very winnable and then they have their bye. Their schedule isn't a nightmare and their defense is going to win them multiple games while Romo is out.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Gotta laugh at my Seahawks though. Gave up an all-pro center from a line that was already crappy and a first round pick for one of the most dangerous targets in the league and they could only give him two targets last night (one reception and another involving Wilson just improvising on a free play and praying Graham turned around, which he didn't). And this was with Seattle almost completely abandoning the run Lynch in the second half. First week was a struggle too. Rams had a depleted secondary, were stacking the box, and giving a lot of 5 and 6 man pass rush looks. I think Graham had one first half target. things changed in the second, and while Graham had a TD and a few other short receptions, the TD was a combination of a perfect throw and a great catch and 90 percent of the time, that ball is an incomplete pass.

This isn't the first "weapon" offensive coordinator Bevell has had that has been a complete waste. Last year it was limited touches and even worse, unimaginative plays involving Percy Harvin. His attitude issues aside, teams were waiting on the vanilla plays and stuffed them, and when they didn't work, he turned to a glorified decoy with limited targets. Then he goes to the Jets (lol) and pretty much doubles his production.

People will blame other things: it's early, the lack of time in the pocket for Wilson and the slow start for Lynch, which do contribute. But this has been an ongoing issue for years now with Bevell. The dude is one of the most predictable play callers I have seen, and he gets away with it under the guise of "well thats Seattle's style, win with defense and play conservative on offense to keep your defenses legs fresh and until you wear the opponent's D down with Lynch and open things up late," and "well, hes gotten them to two straight super bowls." Nevermind the depth Seattle has on defense (sans secondary, largely thanks to Chancellor's holdout).
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

LMFAO!!
Coop Cat

Post by Coop Cat »

Kam Chancellor is back although I am not sure who he is "forgiving":
"Ima go help my teammates that are understanding of my position and the ones who aren't," Chancellor said in a text message to Smith. "God forgives all, why can't i? Time to help us get back to the big dance. I can address business after the season. Me and Marshawn started a mission 2 years ago. I can't let my Dawg down....Real talk."
If he forgiving the Seahawks for not redoing his deal with 3 years left on it? Heard this talked about a lil bit today and no one is quite sure what to make of it.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Kam is one of my favorite players on the team, and I ain't going to hold this against him. But really dumb move on his part. Obviously his dumbass agent was the one putting the bug in his ear, and I can see his frustration, but that's a part of the game and a part of the business of the game. His decisions and the timing of them directly lead to what he is dealing with right now. And Kam's a good guy, always heard him being humble. He's liked by everyone except for receivers running inside routes or running backs getting to the second layer of the defense. It's shocking he would be the guy on the defense who did this.

The Seahawks played it the right way, this would have set a horrible precedent for that organization. They are already getting themselves close to the breaking point with all of these huge contracts and extensions. It's hard to draft really well and be loaded with megastars that you will have to pay, but at some point you have to do what the Steelers and Patriots have done for the last decade plus. It's easy to let a Byron Maxwell slide, but there's going to have to be a time when a Bobby Wagner/Sherman/Chancellor/Thomas type of player has to go.

As for his "God forgives all" line, I don't know. Carroll and the coaching staff have played the whole situation perfectly. We want him here and need him here badly, but this is a business and he's making a business decision. I'm sure the front office hasn't been afforded the luxury of being able to do that, and I'm sure his agent is twisting things to make them look like the bad guy. I know there are some unnamed teammates who aren't happy with him, but thats the extent of my knowledge of all that. He's obviously looking out for his best interests rather than his clients, as do most agents, but he cost him a lot of money for this year and when he signed on the dotted line for his current contract. Teams in the future are going to be cautious dealing with Kam in the future, especially if he retains the agent. Who wants to pay a dude when he has already shown he wont even honor 1/3 of the contract and will hold out?

Marshawn is the rebel, so I dont know why Kam is linking up w him on this mission, presumably to change the league. Those guys are good friends but polar opposites personality wise. And of course many of his teammates are going to ride with him, but he let them down. He certainly was the difference in the week 1 loss to the Rams (his backup, a practice squad guy in 2014 tripped and fell and allowed Foles to tie the game on a wide open deep ball). I wont say the same for the Packers game, but, the secondary made a few big mistakes and looked lost at times, definitely a product of having two new (and weaker) faces in the system and added responsibilities for Sherman and Thomas. Good chance a few things go different and they are 2-0 rather than 0-2 and in an early hole behind the Cardinals for the division with the Cards having a slightly easier schedule.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

Austin Hill was signed to the Practice squad of the Patriots today
Coop Cat

Post by Coop Cat »

rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Completely hilarious. I'm obviously biased being a Seahawks fan. My take is, the refs blew the call and the seahawks dodged a huge bullet, BUT, people need to stop treating it like the Lions were completely robbed in that game. One field goal and nothing but punts the entire game. A fumble recovery for a TD. Another Wilson fumble. A Lockett fumble deep in Seattle territory. Absolutely nothing. They somehow have a chance to win and a great player makes an unbelievable play. Nobody else in the vicinity, Wright can catch it and fall down, try to catch it and roll out of the back of the endzone, muff the catch, or let it keep bouncing. In any case, it's a touch back. And to be clear, if the Lions got in there, there was NO WAY IN HELL the Seahawks are marching down the field and putting up a touchdown to win the game. I can say that with 100 percent confidence. Their only chance was to snuff the Lions at the goal line and go to OT. They dont do that, they lose, so yeah, huge bullet dodged and thank you. And if we are really going to talk about calls that game, I saw a holding in the lions own endzone that shoulda been a safety and the lions were holding pass rushers the entire game. Obviously the plays that late hold the hugest weight, but those holds took away points and gave a huge swing in field position in a defensive struggle of a game.

It's obvious why the batting rules are in the rule books and common sense tells you the intent was not to penalize what Wright did, but rather penalize a defensive player with the offense around him and going for the ball. Regardless, a rule is a rule and it would have been a gut punch to the Seahawks on a "brain fart," and one of those "oh my God, really? thats a rule? well damn about time we got lucky" feelings for a Lions fan. It's the equivalent of a murderer getting off due to a small legal loophole.

What's funny is, two hall of famers, a super bowl winning quarterback, a former NFL head coach, and countless other ex players and most of the seahawks and lions had absolutely no idea that rule existed. What is even funnier is the NFL's explanation of why a penalty is not called when a punter or quarterback muffs a snap or has a ball snapped over their heads, and they proceed to bat or kick the ball out of the back of the end zone to avoid it turning into 7 points rather than the 2 for a safety. That is not uncommon, you see it several times in an NFL and College football season, depending on how much football you watch. The league and the officials say, 'there is no flag thrown because the penalty is the safety." Ok, cool, but tell me on what other score in the game of football is there a penalty and no flag thrown? You throw the flag, you rule whatever the score is, and then you address it on the mic or the penalty is accepted or decline. Maybe on a PI call where a ref "chooses" to hold his flag until he sees the receiver caught the touchdown, but even then that is wrong and their judgment. Here's my second take on it: why should the end all be "well the safety is the penalty?" Two points is nice, its better than 10 yards, or half the distance to the goal. But still, here, you are purposefully committing an act two take two points rather than 7. The pros clearly outweigh the cons. And in KJ Wrights example, there are no cons and three other options to make the inevitable happen.

In case you were wondering, this happened in 2011. Only reason I know is because my good friend is a Steelers fan. He said there was an article about it, but absolutely no stink from the media over it. It was acknowledged and forgotten. No Sportscenter dedicating 50 minutes out of 60 on it after the game.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Apparently the Colts DBs play defense against Jaelen Strong on a Hail Mary the same way U$C DBs do - poorly.
-JB