92 Jack Banda and Rob Waldrop

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ANGCatFan

92 Jack Banda and Rob Waldrop

Post by ANGCatFan »

Banda is a 6-3, 228, redshirt Sophomore defensive lineman from Grayson, GA. He played only in the ucla game last year while spending the year on the scout team. Hopefully, Banda can make a jump in production and at least become a special teams contributor this year.

This is as good as spot as any for my annual statement of mistrust for the posted weights on the online roster. Banda entered Arizona as a 230 lb Freshman and I find it hard to believe he hasn't gained any weight in 2 years. Now, the listed roster weight could be a year old, but my point is still the same. If I am supposed to "be the one" and "part of the movement" I would appreciate accurate information.

Eight Wildcat jerseys have been retired and I will include those players in the countdown starting with the best defensive tackle in the school's history - Rob Waldrop.

Image Image

Here is the release from the official site on Waldrop's Hall of Fame induction:
NEW YORK -- Former Arizona All-American Rob Waldrop has been selected to the 2011 College Football Hall of Fame Class, announced today by the National Football Foundation and its Board of Directors.

Waldrop was picked from the national ballot of 88 candidates and a pool of hundreds of eligible nominees, announced today in presenting the Football Bowl Subdivision HOF class.

Waldrop joins fellow Arizona College Football Hall of Fame inductees Chuck Cecil (2009), Ricky Hunley (1998), and Jim Young (1999) in this exclusive territory. With just over 1,000 individuals in the Hall of Fame, only one percent of those who have ever played college football have been deemed worthy of this distinction.

A two-time consensus All-American during his junior and senior seasons, Waldrop was the Pac-10 Defensive Player of the Year, received the Outland Trophy honoring the country's top interior lineman, was voted the Top Defensive Player of the Year by the Football Writers of America (now called the Bronko Nagurski award), and was one of four finalists for the Lombardi / Rotary award honoring the outstanding lineman of the year.

During his senior season, Waldrop recorded 53 total tackles, 14 for losses, including eight sacks --a remarkable feat for an interior lineman. His play, which helped spawn the Wildcats' "Desert Swarm" nickname, was evident in the 1994 Fiesta Bowl when he helped pin Miami with its back to the goal, guiding Arizona to a 29-0 victory.

Waldrop was drafted in `94 by the NFL's Kansas City Chiefs and later went on to have a successful stint with the Toronto Argonauts in the Canadian Football League.
ArizonaWildcats.com has gotten a new site makeover for anyone interested. Not sure of the major changes besides the site layout except that I could no longer find a search function for the site.
Chicat

Re: 92 Jack Banda and Rob Waldrop

Post by Chicat »

Nice article AG!

(Horrible headline though bro...)
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

Just connecting the dots here, but when I see opposing QBs having all day to find receivers, and now a guy who only made the team at the last minute due to a suspension and injuries become "The Sackmaster", I have to wonder if Chief's assertion that Kirelawich should be fired isn't, in fact, correct.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

What are you talking about? Banda has been on the team for 2 years
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

whatisee wrote:What are you talking about? Banda has been on the team for 2 years
According to AG's article going into camp Banda wasn't on the 105 man roster.
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

It's a legit question. Was he overlooked or did he just play out of his mind?

I'll tell you what, what Banda has done makes me want to see Ware out there just for the hell of it. Some people just aren't practice players. I wasn't.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

threenumberones wrote:It's a legit question. Was he overlooked or did he just play out of his mind?

I'll tell you what, what Banda has done makes me want to see Ware out there just for the hell of it. Some people just aren't practice players. I wasn't.
Some guys just play better than they practice.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

azgreg wrote:
threenumberones wrote:It's a legit question. Was he overlooked or did he just play out of his mind?

Some guys just play better than they practice.
Banda is part of the 2013 recruiting class

Nick Foles couldn't practice to save his life. Now look at him. Some people have different motors during game time
Last edited by whatisee on Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

azgreg wrote:
whatisee wrote:What are you talking about? Banda has been on the team for 2 years

No idea there, but he's not a new face to the program. Just hidden under a rock.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

whatisee wrote:
azgreg wrote:

No idea there, but he's not a new face to the program. Just hidden under a rock.
He never said he was a new face, he just said he barely made this years team.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

azgreg wrote:
whatisee wrote:
azgreg wrote:

Are you just here to just fucking argue? Go back and read what he said. Made it sound like we got the kid off a farm in Morenci
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

whatisee wrote:
azgreg wrote:
whatisee wrote:
azgreg wrote:

Are you just here to just fucking argue? Go back and read what he said. Made it sound like we got the kid off a farm in Morenci
Read my post again, what I (don't) see, and while you are at it read the one preceding mine, and then perhaps this morning's Tucson newspaper. Way too much for anyone half awake to miss.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

MrMeow wrote:and now a guy who only made the team at the last minute due to a suspension and injuries become "The Sackmaster", I have to wonder if Chief's assertion that Kirelawich should be fired isn't, in fact, correct.
That's pretty clear cut to me. Not reading the article.

Your opinion and Chief's on Wild Bill are pretty out there. Keep the hate strong
ghostwhitehorse

Post by ghostwhitehorse »

Chicat wrote:Nice article AG!

(Horrible headline though bro...)
Cracked's headline guy gets around. . .

(though, frankly. . . it's kinda Bill Kirelawich's fault. . . and maybe Jim Rome's. . .)
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

So coaching up a scout team guy into a contributor is a sign of bad coaching?

FFS (For Fuck's Sake), I don't get some of you guys.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

wyo-cat wrote:FFS (For Fuck's Sake), I don't get some of you guys.
Some people aren't happy unless they aren't happy.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

azpenguin wrote:
wyo-cat wrote:FFS (For Fuck's Sake), I don't get some of you guys.
Some people aren't happy unless they aren't happy.
which would imply you are happy with the DL? You seem like a knowledgeable football guy, but this is the best you can do?
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Doesn't imply that at all. The coaches get a kid who didn't make the roster at first, get him to work his butt off to get back in, coach him up, and people are looking at THAT to gripe about? When you're looking for stuff to complain about you'll find it without fail. There are issues everywhere on defense but Banda playing well is not an indictment of anyone.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

azpenguin wrote:Doesn't imply that at all. The coaches get a kid who didn't make the roster at first, get him to work his butt off to get back in, coach him up, and people are looking at THAT to gripe about? When you're looking for stuff to complain about you'll find it without fail. There are issues everywhere on defense but Banda playing well is not an indictment of anyone.
Total mischaracterization:

1. Banda got back in because Timmy Hamilton quit and opened a roster spot, not because coaches got him to work his butt off
2. People are griping about Banda doing well? Where did you read that? Totally bogus. Indictment of the coaches because Banda is playing well? Where did you see that? Due to how bad the defense plays, there is room for suspicion it is poorly coached, and that poor coaching could include sloppy player evaluations. There is room to suspect Banda could have contributed long before game seven. Totally valid.
3. "When you're looking for stuff to complain about you'll find it without fail". Doh. Find someone (other than yourself) who can't find a boatload of stuff to complain about when it comes to this defense. This isn't nit picking, Penquino. That defense is so bad it's difficult to say anything good about it.

A swing and a miss, by you. Put down that KoolAid, brah. Off with the rose colored glasses. This defense is really bad. Everyone, save you, complains about it. It's totally natural to question coaching ability when things get this bad. Ask every fired coach in America, and ask his HC or AD.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

MrMeow wrote:
azpenguin wrote:Doesn't imply that at all. The coaches get a kid who didn't make the roster at first, get him to work his butt off to get back in, coach him up, and people are looking at THAT to gripe about? When you're looking for stuff to complain about you'll find it without fail. There are issues everywhere on defense but Banda playing well is not an indictment of anyone.

1. Banda got back in because Timmy Hamilton quit and opened a roster spot, not because coaches got him to work his butt off
2. People are griping about Banda doing well? Where did you read that? Totally bogus. Indictment of the coaches because Banda is playing well? Where did you see that? Due to how bad the defense plays, there is room for suspicion it is poorly coached, and that poor coaching could include sloppy player evaluations. There is room to suspect Banda could have contributed long before game seven. Totally valid.
3. "When you're looking for stuff to complain about you'll find it without fail". Doh. Find someone (other than yourself) who can't find a boatload of stuff to complain about when it comes to this defense. This isn't nit picking, Penquino. That defense is so bad it's difficult to say anything good about it.

A swing and a miss, by you. Put down that KoolAid, brah. Off with the rose colored glasses. This defense is really bad. Everyone, save you, complains about it. It's totally natural to question coaching ability when things get this bad. Ask every fired coach in America, and ask his HC or AD.
THIS!!!!!!!
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

MrMeow wrote:

Eh, whatever. I'm not gonna get into one of those silly slap fights that keep happening all over the board.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Great comeback Penguin!!!

2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS