lets talk '16

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

DiehardDave37

Re: lets talk '16

Post by DiehardDave37 »

Longhorned wrote:My understanding is that Jones's dad really likes Arizona. But he is in a wheelchair and travel is a big challenge for him. The fact that he made it out to Tucson for the visit was a really big deal.

A December decision would favor Arizona but the fact that he has no more visits to Arizona could mean he's moving on faster than we'd hoped. Even if he had committed to Arizona on his visit in late summer, I wouldn't have been shocked if he'd decomit later.
I will do for AJ what I did for JJ.

Do I make it easy for my dad to see me play for a charismatic new coach who did wonders with 3 * talent or go to the more proven program and coach who knows how to develop 5 stars?

This time I'll state what my choice would be. I'd choose family, be Smart and play for Shaka. If Alford can't ruin his players' NBA future, neither will SS.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

DiehardDave37 wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:It's AZ or MSU.

Hmmm! His buddies are pulling him to MSU, but he got close to Miller on the USA team and likes him as a person and a coach.

If you were 2 or 3 years away from millions of dollars and a rock star lifestyle, which would you pick?
"Pool Parties"

- Gronk
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

not too surprising.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Bummers. Oh well...
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

I get to turn in my betting ticket earlier than I thought I would...
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

JJ or bust.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Either add an assistant with strong Texas ties or just don't even bother with the damn state. It's beyond stupid at this point.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

ChooChooCat wrote:Either add an assistant with strong Texas ties or just don't even bother with the damn state. It's beyond stupid at this point.
I really think it's don't bother unless the player really reaches out to you.
az91

Post by az91 »

SCCats wrote:I get to turn in my betting ticket earlier than I thought I would...
When he didn't commit right after his Tucson trip, I pretty much decided it was no chance he was coming here.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

So Josh Jackson sets a date for a KU visit, and on that same day Corey Evans flips his prediction on 247 from (Maryland I think?) to KU. :? Is the Crystal Ball really that simple, or is there insider premium information that these guys have which we should be paying for? I mean, for which we should be paying (for you, Dill)...

Maryland is now down to zero predictions -- so much for the flavor of the month. Hopefully MSU experiences a similar fate.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Corey is at less than 70% correct on his predictions: http://247sports.com/User/Corey%20Evans ... .Year=2014" target="_blank

I've really actually come to hate the crystal ball. Very few of these guys actually have talked to the players or their coaches/parents/mentors/etc. They see the same reports we do and then make a guess. Then about a week before the player announces his decision, they stick their finger in the air, see which way the wind is blowing based on the latest insider info from the fansites of the final schools in the running, and switch their prediction if need-be. Kind of stupid if you ask me.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Agree, but it's entertainment value at work. I wouldn't mind at all if 247 somehow vetted the people allowed to predict on their site, or if they weighed the results of the predictions based on a predictor's historical accuracy.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Does Nick know what he is talking about or just guessing?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I seriously doubt that. Grad transfers are looking for immediate playing time and that will be in very short supply.

I think this Nick guy is either joking or pulling that out of his b-hole.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Chicat wrote: that will be in very short supply.
Well, yes and no. Without JJ, we're looking at:

KA/PJC
Trier/Simon
RS
LM
DR/CC

I see a lot of minutes at the 3 and 4 spots for players who can make an impact.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

84Cat wrote:Does Nick know what he is talking about or just guessing?
Well, his twitter handle says he knows. That said, it seems crazy unless we have unexpected departures. The wing is stacked with talent. We might be able to add one wing and one big guy without JJ, but that would be a max. Even if Trier leaves for the L (pure speculation at this point) we still have Smith, Simon, half of Allen and Pitts for 2 positions. Inside, Ristic, Markannen and Comanche should all get time. Really, we're looking at two transfers to go 2 deep at all positions if we get 2 and Trier leaves. 3? Nah.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Beachcat97 wrote:

KA/PJC
Trier/Simon
RS
LM
DR/CC

Pitts will be a senior too if he is still around.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Even if we miss on Jackson there's no way we bring in 3 grad transfers. Two seems much more likely and if we land Jackson or if Trier returns then probably just 1 grad transfer and a normal transfer. Three is just too many guys who would expect immediate playing time on a team with plenty of talent already on the roster. The guy in that tweet is over exaggerating to say the least.

I got my eye on a guy from Boise State as a grad transfer, especially if we miss out on Jackson.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I need to hear we're exactly where we need to be with JJ.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Another problem with the Crystal Ball is it that plays into the myth of these recruits who make their own decisions, waking up one day feeling one way, and then going to bed with a different idea as their emotions swing, pulling at the emotions of the fans who follow the recruitment in the process. The way this Jackson recruitment is presented, you'd think there's this player from Michigan who is impressed by Maryland's campus, is strongly tempted to stay home and play for Michigan State (even though he doesn't even live in Michigan by his own choice), and now is getting his mind blown by the traditions of Kansas. These narratives are really silly.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Longhorned wrote:Another problem with the Crystal Ball is it that plays into the myth of these recruits who make their own decisions, waking up one day feeling one way, and then going to bed with a different idea as their emotions swing, pulling at the emotions of the fans who follow the recruitment in the process. The way this Jackson recruitment is presented, you'd think there's this player from Michigan who is impressed by Maryland's campus, is strongly tempted to stay home and play for Michigan State (even though he doesn't even live in Michigan by his own choice), and now is getting his mind blown by the traditions of Kansas. These narratives are really silly.
They certainly go with the wind don't they? We were an overwhelming favorite for Andrew Jones on that crystal ball deal simply due to the fact he was taking an official visit out here. That worked out real well for the guys who made that prediction didn't it?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

JJ to Kansas would be pretty surprising at this point, especially given JJ's relationship with Miller.

I'm sure he respects the hell out of KU and admires that program, but I really doubt he ends up there.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Merkin wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:

KA/PJC
Trier/Simon
RS
LM
DR/CC

Pitts will be a senior too if he is still around.
KA will be a senior next year too. We need a banger, that line-up is lacking some serious muscle.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Longhorned wrote:Another problem with the Crystal Ball is it that plays into the myth of these recruits who make their own decisions, waking up one day feeling one way, and then going to bed with a different idea as their emotions swing, pulling at the emotions of the fans who follow the recruitment in the process. The way this Jackson recruitment is presented, you'd think there's this player from Michigan who is impressed by Maryland's campus, is strongly tempted to stay home and play for Michigan State (even though he doesn't even live in Michigan by his own choice), and now is getting his mind blown by the traditions of Kansas. These narratives are really silly.
But he tweeted positive things during/after each visit!
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

84Cat wrote: We need a banger, that line-up is lacking some serious muscle.
Yep. JJ doesn't exactly fix the "muscle" problem, but he's such a transcendent talent that it may not matter. He'll be one of the toughest players to guard in the nation next year.

Lauri is big, and we still have DR. I'd love to see a couple 6'9 senior transfers in the mix, especially guys who can board and defend.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Craig Victor, uh, never mind.
Right where I want to be.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Yep. JJ doesn't exactly fix the "muscle" problem, but he's such a transcendent talent that it may not matter. He'll be one of the toughest players to guard in the nation next year.

Lauri is big, and we still have DR. I'd love to see a couple 6'9 senior transfers in the mix, especially guys who can board and defend.
6'9 senior transfer you say?

http://www.broncosports.com/sports/m-ba ... 62117.html" target="_blank

Bangers are overrated. They're nice to have, but who was the banger on Wisconsin or Duke last year?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:

Bangers are overrated. They're nice to have, but who was the banger on Wisconsin or Duke last year?
Okafor? Kaminsky?
gumby

Post by gumby »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:

Are you saying Webb is headed here?
Right where I want to be.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:

For the most part, I agree with you but I would like to have at least one guy on the bench who could slow opposing bangers. Call it the Jesse Perry syndrome.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:

The British enjoy bangers in the mouth.

Tobias Funke Banger in the Mouth: http://youtu.be/FtW7eaSvd6A" target="_blank
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

gumby wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:

Hmmm, UA or the NBA, tough call.

Love to have him though but I imagine his thoughts are elsewhere.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

gumby wrote:Craig Victor, uh, never mind.
Makes his debut in a couple weeks
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

gumby wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:

No, but he's a guy who would be eligible to grad transfer at the end of this season.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Merkin wrote:
gumby wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:

Hmmm, UA or the NBA, tough call.

Love to have him though but I imagine his thoughts are elsewhere.

He's likely at best a 2nd rounder after this season, so it's up to what he's looking for I suppose. He needs a strength and conditioning program that'll add good weight to him for sure to help boost his stock.
Last edited by ChooChooCat on Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:

Okafor? Kaminsky?
If those guys are your definition of bangers then we're good to go.
DiehardDave37

Post by DiehardDave37 »

Beachcat97 wrote:

KA/PJC
Trier/Simon
RS
LM
DR/CC

I see no EP on your list. What do you know that I don't know?
Last edited by DiehardDave37 on Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

DiehardDave37 wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:

KA/PJC
Trier/Simon
RS
LM
DR/CC

In see no EP on your list. What do you know that I don't know?
I should've included EP. I haven't heard any credible info about a possible transfer. I like EP and hope he pulls through whatever's going on. We could use him.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

AZ possibly getting back into the mix for Simmons:

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/index.ssf/ ... andst.html" target="_blank
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

dmjcat wrote:AZ possibly getting back into the mix for Simmons:

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/index.ssf/ ... andst.html" target="_blank
They're going off old news that turned out not to be news at all. AZ isn't doing a damn thing with Simmons.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

JJ picked a great weekend to come. Its has been downright cold lately but we're in the 70s today and tomorrow. Hopefully someone planned a pool party...
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Too bad there won't be any parties or students or zona zoo for JJ to see. Finals ended yesterday and the dorms close today.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I grew up in MI, and when I left when I was 18 after my family moved to CA, I said I was never going back, and never have.

Sparty has no answer for this.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

lets get it
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Can we throw some prostitues his way?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

3goggles wrote:Can we throw some prostitues his way?
We're not Louisville. We probably expect our ladies to be a little more classy and do the same basic thing without being paid to do it.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Trevon Duvall and Billy Preston top 10 class of 17 both at Unlv game too? Possible package deal? See Arizona is doin well w Preston
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

rgdeuce wrote:Trevon Duvall and Billy Preston top 10 class of 17 both at Unlv game too? Possible package deal? See Arizona is doin well w Preston
Neither of them were at the UNLV game, they were playing in a tourney up in PHX. Only Preston made it down to Tucson after the tourney.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Man can we just get some good JJ news before much longer? I wanna see that kid in an AZ hat.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I think this will be the most immediately impactful recruiting class since I've followed Arizona basketball.