Stoudamire leaving

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

pc in NM

Re: Stoudamire leaving

Post by pc in NM »

I think that if there is any "negative" to this change, it could be the loss of Stoudamire's coaching of PJC....
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
gumby

Post by gumby »

Good morning, Mr. Phelps ....
Right where I want to be.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

RichardCranium wrote: Um, Brian Snow: how many flights a day between Memphis and Atlanta? Tucson and Atlanta?

Anyway, Memphis to Atlanta is what a 7 or 8 hour drive? Tucson to Atlanta is a 3.5 day drive.

So, yes, Memphis is closer and much more convenient to Damon's family in Atlanta.
Forget driving, a non stop flight is under an hour and a half. Even with the hassle of checking in/security, that's still a quick way to go see your kids.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

ChooChooCat wrote:
dirtbags wrote:
no regrets about the phelps hire, i guess, but it would've been nice to see someone from the UofA NBA tree fill the spot -- maybe someone like loren woods or ben davis? khalid? hotsauce? oh well, it's moot.
Personally I don't get why fans are so goo goo gah gah over former players coming back to coach. If the guy is qualified like Damon Stoudamire was, then absolutely bring him on if he wants to come, but the whole angle of we need an Arizona guy here is just overblown IMO. Get the best coaches period. Our AD is from ASU, our head coach is from Pittsburgh, our top recruiter went to some small school in New York. Who cares? Best coaches and best recruiters regardless of alumnus background = Success

I know you're saying you have no regrets about Phelps, so I'm not talking about you, but just many fans in general hold that sentiment and it's just silly. Take a look at Kentucky or Duke or Louisville or etc., etc. coaching staffs and tell me how many NBA guys they have coaching on their teams. The NBA guy isn't important in this sport, it's just not.
Alumni coming back to coach has not always gone well for schools and sometimes it's just gone downright badly (a football example would be Neuheisel at UCLA.) You get the best guy, period.

That said, if Arizona is ever looking for a head coach, and Steve Kerr is willing to take the call...
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Steve Kerr said that when he was a GM for the Suns that he would never coach college ball. Just too much recruiting, and too many rules. Maybe now that his kids are older that may change.

Someone said that Damon's assigned recruiting area will include Atlanta, so that is a good reason in itself.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

pc in NM wrote:I think that if there is any "negative" to this change, it could be the loss of Stoudamire's coaching of PJC....
It depends. Playing ability does not always walk hand in hand with coaching ability. I'm not criticizing Damon, but just because our replacement won't be as good a player as Damon was, it doesn't mean coaching will suffer.

There are a lot of great players who haven't burned the world up as coaches.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

pc in NM wrote:I think that if there is any "negative" to this change, it could be the loss of Stoudamire's coaching of PJC....

Well then it figures to still benefit PJC that Miller was a pretty good PG.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Puerco

Stoudamire Leaving Memphis for Pacific HC

Post by Puerco »

http://www.si.com/college-basketball/20 ... head-coach
Former NBA star Damon Stoudamire will likely accept the head coach job at Pacific, reports ESPN’s Jeff Goodman.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Good for him, apparently he has been wanting to be a HC for a long time. Too bad it's in such a shithole but have to start somewhere.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Nice just down the street!
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Good for Damon. Even though I think Memphis learned their lesson with a first-time HC in Pastner, part of me assumed Damon went there knowing he had a strong shot to take over once Pastner got the boot. Wondering if there was anything to that and if anything changed since.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

So do we consider guys like Stoudamire and Kerr part of the Lute Olson coaching tree?
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Puerco wrote:So do we consider guys like Stoudamire and Kerr part of the Lute Olson coaching tree?
Definitely.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Cool. I was figuring that they almost certainly consider themselves a part.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

For a long time the Olson coaching tree was just awful. But showed the power of the man himself to win with not very good coaches.

KO, Jessie Evans, Phil Johnson, Ken Burmeister, Ricky Byrdson (RIP), Jay John, Rodney Tention, etc...

Miller doing much better, his bro is doing well, James Whitford really turned around Ball State.