Best PG under Lute

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Harvey Specter

Re: Best PG under Lute

Post by Harvey Specter »

Merkin wrote:
Bruins01 wrote: Anyway, this is my vote for Damon Stoudamire. He was ridiculously good at Arizona
If you listened to Lute's interview with Matt Muehlbach the other night, Lute might agree with you.

But they were talking about 50/40/90 guys. Looking up Damon's college stats, he was 51% 2PT, 40% 3PT, and 80% FT.

Maybe they were talking 50/40/80.

Kerr was 52/57/82, only 1 year with the 3 point line.

Bibby 51/39/73.

Of course those are all shooting stats, assists and turnovers are for PGs.

Not sure any of those guys topped Shakur's 6.9 APG as a senior.

Speaking of stats... how do these look?

22.3ppg... 0.48 FG... 0.50 3FG... 0.84 FT%... 7.2 RPG... 4.0 APG... 0.7 SPG
19.6ppg... 0.57 FG... 0.47 3FG... 0.79 FT%... 5.8 RPG... 3.6 APG... 1.0 SPG

But Not a Point Guard.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

1)Bibby
2)Kerr-his assist to turnover ratio was great.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
gumby

Post by gumby »

KaibabKat wrote:IOWA CITY, Iowa — Lute Olson coached some of college basketball’s best players at Arizona, especially at point guard.

But the Hall of Fame coach was emphatic about who was the best point guard he ever coached, and he played during his nine years at Iowa.

“At Arizona, we were known as Point Guard U,” Olson said. “But this guy (Ronnie Lester) is the best point guard that I’ve ever had the honor to coach and we had some great ones at Arizona...."

https://www.landof10.com/iowa/iowa-lute ... d-ive-ever
Check the OP. That's what got this thread going.
Right where I want to be.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Puerco wrote:
Bibby is clearly not the only answer to this question.

I understand Bibby won it all for us, but he never had a season like Stoudamire did. 23/7/4 and 47% from 3. I can't really even comprehend how you have the time to average 7 assists if you're scoring 23 a game. Add that to the fact the Damon stayed all four years, and he gets my vote. Bibby, Kerr, Jet, Gardner... That a nice 2-5 for any program. TJ's in there somewhere -- but for me his performances are still to fresh to really place them with the other greats.
Dominate the ball on offense and playing in a higher paced offense are two ways. You gotta remember, scoring wise, Bibby as a sophomore averaged 17.2ppg, Dickerson averaged 18, Simon averaged 17.2, and Terry averaged 10.2. Those are four all-american level GUARDS/WINGS you are sharing shots with. Assists wise, Bibby averaged 5.7, but you gotta remember, Miles was not a catch and shoot guy, he had the ball in his hands quite a bit and averaged 4.7 assists himself, and Terry was getting significant minutes and had the ball in his hands quite a bit and he averaged 4.3 assists.

With Stoudamire on the other hand, Ray Owes (15 ppg) and Joseph Blair (12) were #2 and #3 in scoring, one was a center and the other was a slashing/interior playing 4. Big difference. In terms of assists, the closest guys were Reggie Geary (3.6) and Freshman Miles Simon (2.6).
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Yup, I understand all that, but having a less talented supporting cast just made Stoudamire's performance more impactful. I'm not saying that Damon was necessarily the most talented PG we've ever had, but IMO he's had the most impact. And yes, that takes four seasons into account.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

84Cat wrote:Loved the 94 team. That back court was pretty much unstoppable.
Yes it was, except during the semi-final in the Final Four.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Puerco wrote:Yup, I understand all that, but having a less talented supporting cast just made Stoudamire's performance more impactful. I'm not saying that Damon was necessarily the most talented PG we've ever had, but IMO he's had the most impact. And yes, that takes four seasons into account.
I was ready to whip up a Jason Terry post before I read that last sentence :lol:
gumby

Post by gumby »

One thing is for sure: Bibby better out of the gate. Damon had his struggles the first two years, and was present for three first-round losses (all upsets).

Blossomed the final two years. Senior year was a mess at tourney time. Not his fault. J. Blair and B. Davis absent.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

gumby wrote:One thing is for sure: Bibby better out of the gate. Damon had his struggles the first two years, and was present for three first-round losses (all upsets).

Blossomed the final two years. Senior year was a mess at tourney time. Not his fault. J. Blair and B. Davis absent.
And he was suspended and then reinstated just a day or so before the game.

The irony is I was in Vegas the previous weekend and woke up to turn the TV on and it was on the Miami (OH) MAC Championship. In the corner of the screen, they teased the halftime show with "Arizona in Trouble" and a pic of Damon. I called home, got the scoop, then went to the book. We were playing ASU that day, and we dropped from a 16 point favorite to game off the board. It came back on -2. I walked into the sports book with an Arizona sweatshirt and was immediately hounded by all of these desperate bettors asking what was going on. I literally got up on a table and gave a press briefing...Damon Stoudamire and Ben Davis would not be available for the ASU game due to suspension. That was the game that went 2 OT and we lost, but was the arrival of Mike D.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

I must be forgetting the whole "Mike D"/Miles Simon thing.
gumby

Post by gumby »

EVCat wrote:
gumby wrote:One thing is for sure: Bibby better out of the gate. Damon had his struggles the first two years, and was present for three first-round losses (all upsets).

And he was suspended and then reinstated just a day or so before the game.

The irony is I was in Vegas the previous weekend and woke up to turn the TV on and it was on the Miami (OH) MAC Championship. In the corner of the screen, they teased the halftime show with "Arizona in Trouble" and a pic of Damon. I called home, got the scoop, then went to the book. We were playing ASU that day, and we dropped from a 16 point favorite to game off the board. It came back on -2. I walked into the sports book with an Arizona sweatshirt and was immediately hounded by all of these desperate bettors asking what was going on. I literally got up on a table and gave a press briefing...Damon Stoudamire and Ben Davis would not be available for the ASU game due to suspension. That was the game that went 2 OT and we lost, but was the arrival of Mike D.
Yeah, that was a great effort by the Cats. Devils had a Sweet 16 team that year (Mario Bennett was legit). Dickerson played behind Joe McLean and Corey Williams, but really emerged that game.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

rgdeuce wrote:I must be forgetting the whole "Mike D"/Miles Simon thing.
Not sure the connection there.

Just that when Damon was suspended along with Ben Davis for impermissible benefits right before the 1995 game vs ASU, Michael Dickerson, a freshman getting spotty PT to that point, balled out, scored like 30, but we lost to them in double OT.

Damon got reinstated hours before the game vs Miami (OH) in the 1995 tournament, but Ben Davis remained suspended and with no Joseph Blair (academics) and a hurt Ray Owes, we got our asses handed to us by Dexter St. Jock
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Ahh, I got you. Someone called Miles Simon Mike D in another thread a while back, threw me off.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

We talking about the Beastie Boys?
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Bibby was the most remarkable freshman we've ever had. Not statistically, but seeing a frosh handle the point so well and under such pressure was absolutely amazing.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

rgdeuce wrote:
Puerco wrote:Yup, I understand all that, but having a less talented supporting cast just made Stoudamire's performance more impactful. I'm not saying that Damon was necessarily the most talented PG we've ever had, but IMO he's had the most impact. And yes, that takes four seasons into account.
I was ready to whip up a Jason Terry post before I read that last sentence :lol:
JET did 22/5.5/3 and shot 40% from three his senior year. Impressive, but not quite the same...
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

You cant look solely at numbers. That team was expected to not do well after losing Simon, Bibby, Dickerson, and Davison, and they finished 22-7 and 2nd in the conference in a year where both Stanford and UCLA were top 10 teams for multiple weeks. He too was a consensus 1st team All American and Pac 12 POY
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

I remember that season very well. It was fantastic watching JET get rewarded for being so patient. He was pretty much the ideal recruit. I wish we had more examples like him these days.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Puerco wrote:I remember that season very well. It was fantastic watching JET get rewarded for being so patient. He was pretty much the ideal recruit. I wish we had more examples like him these days.
Except for that one thing ...
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Olsen? Really?

Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Although it is UNLV. ;)

and Liberal Arts! But if you need a 4 year degree to coach, it counts!