2016-2017 Arizona Basketball

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

rgdeuce

Re: 2016-2017 Arizona Basketball

Post by rgdeuce »

Chicat wrote:Something happened to Goodman when he was at UA. I'm guessing it was a combination of never getting laid and having to pretend he had to study constantly so that no one knew he had no friends.
I think you are right on with the first. And his girlfriend probably had a thing for one of the players.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

prh wrote: Regarding Commanche, I think he is much better suited when PJC is in the game. LM and Dusan are better at creating their own shots, and Chance is really helped by having a playmaker of PJC's style in with him. Chance paired w/ Kadeem/Rawle/Kobi seems like a bit of a drop-off to me.
Yep.
Longhorned wrote:
I agree with you fully but PJC needs to practice and play like he's going to beat out Allen. Last year he basically stopped trying. It would be absurd if it were a given that he isn't regaining his starting role.
Dont forget, last year PJC was our best 3 point shooter in the second half of the season (well over 40%) and he had a monster game (forgot the opponent) at McKale.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Irish27 wrote:
You know, we were flying under the radar and sort of underrated. We win one game and skyrocket.

I love our potential, but we were better than people realized for a while, and now we probably need to pump the brakes a little. We have the ability to make those predictions reality, but right now, UCLA was a big win, but it is only one game.

I think our homestand says a lot. If we continue advancing, we did good things. I could see a significant risk of a hangover and letdown.
The good news is, we have two bum squads at McKale next. While that still may happen, I think Trier was akin to a kilo of blow to this team and that quick rise is a bode of confidence, that when taken in with everything they have accomplished thus far, helps them more realize the end goal and how it can be achieved if they keep working. 4-8 is much different from #1. We played with such confidence against UCLA. They looked like they knew they were the baddest motherfuckers in the country and that was way before the clock hit 0:00. It was a completely different look that we haven't seen all year, and that look came in the lions den against what some considered the best team in college basketball. And dont underrate Trier in all of this. That dude sat there and watched more than half of the season from the sidelines. His mental game is start of the season fresh, and if there is any slacking, guess who is going to be the TJ McConnell to grab guys by their jerseys. With the added depth, slackers will also be taking a seat next to Miller.

This team has IT. We have talked about it all year. And the IT was infectious: it got Dusan, Chance, and PJC (will be fully realized when his shot comes back). Those guys dont have that lost boys look on their faces anymore. Kadeem was borderline IT, and the IT got him. Kadeem is out there with that Momo Jones/Kevin Parrom swag right now. The IT was brought in by Lauri, Rawle and Kobi, I am fully convinced of that. Special special group of guys.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

7 of our last 11 games are against the current bottom half of the conference. of the 4 games we do have against the top half, 3 are at home.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

rgdeuce wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Irish27 wrote:
You know, we were flying under the radar and sort of underrated. We win one game and skyrocket.

I love our potential, but we were better than people realized for a while, and now we probably need to pump the brakes a little. We have the ability to make those predictions reality, but right now, UCLA was a big win, but it is only one game.

I think our homestand says a lot. If we continue advancing, we did good things. I could see a significant risk of a hangover and letdown.
The good news is, we have two bum squads at McKale next. While that still may happen, I think Trier was akin to a kilo of blow to this team and that quick rise is a bode of confidence, that when taken in with everything they have accomplished thus far, helps them more realize the end goal and how it can be achieved if they keep working. 4-8 is much different from #1. We played with such confidence against UCLA. They looked like they knew they were the baddest motherfuckers in the country and that was way before the clock hit 0:00. It was a completely different look that we haven't seen all year, and that look came in the lions den against what some considered the best team in college basketball. And dont underrate Trier in all of this. That dude sat there and watched more than half of the season from the sidelines. His mental game is start of the season fresh, and if there is any slacking, guess who is going to be the TJ McConnell to grab guys by their jerseys. With the added depth, slackers will also be taking a seat next to Miller.

This team has IT. We have talked about it all year. And the IT was infectious: it got Dusan, Chance, and PJC (will be fully realized when his shot comes back). Those guys dont have that lost boys look on their faces anymore. Kadeem was borderline IT, and the IT got him. Kadeem is out there with that Momo Jones/Kevin Parrom swag right now. The IT was brought in by Lauri, Rawle and Kobi, I am fully convinced of that. Special special group of guys.
Couldn't agree more Duece. They had the focus and the confidence and displayed it all for 40 minutes. That chip on there collective shoulder has been growing ll season.

I would love to see them hold a team in the high 40's this weekend. That would be another sign to me. Honor the process men!
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Hey, if an Oregon win over Arizona at Eugene is the difference between first and second in the conference, more power to Oregon. Either they'd be near undefeated, or we'll have lost a home game or at Colorado or at Pullman. The only respectable losses in our future would be at Oregon, at Utah, and home against UCLA. In the parlance of the 1950s, anything else would be a boner.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

ASUHATER! wrote:7 of our last 11 games are against the current bottom half of the conference. of the 4 games we do have against the top half, 3 are at home.
Not bad and tons of tune ups for this team to completely mesh together.

@Oregon and last home game against UCLA will decide this conference. Rooting for Utah to handle Oregon at home this week.
prh

Post by prh »

Longhorned wrote:Hey, if an Oregon win over Arizona at Eugene is the difference between first and second in the conference, more power to Oregon. Either they'd be near undefeated, or we'll have lost a home game or at Colorado or at Pullman. The only respectable losses in our future would be at Oregon, at Utah, and home against UCLA. In the parlance of the 1950s, anything else would be a boner.
No Utah trip this year
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Longhorned wrote:Hey, if an Oregon win over Arizona at Eugene is the difference between first and second in the conference, more power to Oregon. Either they'd be near undefeated, or we'll have lost a home game or at Colorado or at Pullman. The only respectable losses in our future would be at Oregon, at Utah, and home against UCLA. In the parlance of the 1950s, anything else would be a boner.
We don't play @Colorado or @Utah this year.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Then I rest my case.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

For reference here's the remaining schedules for the 3 actual contenders:

Arizona:

Wazzu, UW, @Oregon State, @Oregon, Stanford, Cal, @Wazzu, @UW, USC, UCLA, @ASU

Oregon:

@Utah, @Colorado, ASU, Arizona, @UCLA, @USC, Utah, Colorado, @Cal, @Stanford, @OSU

UCLA:

@USC, @Wazzu, @UW, Oregon, OSU, USC, @ASU, @Arizona, UW, Wazzu
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

i'd definitely say we have the easiest of that. oregon still having 7 road games is big, especially @utah, @usc, @ucla and @cal.

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Colorado is going to have a surprising win before this season is done.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Longhorned wrote:Colorado is going to have a surprising win before this season is done.
I'm still shocked they don't have a conference win.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Longhorned wrote:Colorado is going to have a surprising win before this season is done.
I keep forgetting they beat Xavier. They really might win their home game against Oregon.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Longhorned wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
I keep forgetting they beat Xavier. They really might win their home game against Oregon.
Wouldn't surprise me at all.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Oregon has a tough schedule

If we don't win the PAC I'll be shocked
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Alieberman wrote:Oregon has a tough schedule

it'll all come down to the ucla and @oregon games. win at least one of those and take care of business elsewhere and i think we win it. especially with those 4 tough road games oregon still has to play. they'll lose at least one of those.

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

We just have to handle our business. We're in the driver's seat, but need to finish on the upswing. Oregon will be getting better, and we need to match that.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Was really impressed with Trier's leadership compared to last year.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

ASUHATER! wrote:

it'll all come down to the ucla and @oregon games. win at least one of those and take care of business elsewhere and i think we win it. especially with those 4 tough road games oregon still has to play. they'll lose at least one of those.
it's sounding like brooks will be all right and, i'm guessing, back in time for our game. they probably won't need him for this week's trip, but i wouldn't be surprised to see him suited up and ready to go before O runs the gauntlet starting late next week.
DiehardDave37

Post by DiehardDave37 »

Puerco wrote:Was really impressed with Trier's leadership compared to last year.
The leadership mantle passed from Allen to Trier in Westwood. He has been the leader on the bench all year. That gave me hope that he expected to be back this season.
We all knew that he would be the "go to" guy when he got back.
Tell me that was NOT hero ball I saw a couple of times from him Saturday.
Last edited by DiehardDave37 on Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
Chicat wrote:
PieceOfMeat wrote:
prh wrote:Guys I'm pretty sure Chi already took care of that. Let's get back to important things like whether or not we get to smack Gonzaga in the tourney
I can confirm, Chi did in fact take care of that.
Banned user for reason “”
» Beachcat97
Although he sure was lazy with not putting any reason in. Sheesh Chi! ;)
All of the reasons wouldn't fit in the little space they allow you.
:shock: :lol: :lol:
aw, i'm probably in the minority here but am in the #freebeachcat camp. while i won't miss his constant wavering between hating & fellating ucla (and compensating with fake trolling), every board needs a BC and he is light years ahead of JW, vajayjay thakore, enflamo, etc. and a loyal contributor. plus, i post a lot of stupid things but am not banned, so that's weird too. i hope the admins will at least reconsider once the season is over.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Hating & Fellating, and often Master ...

(There's a rap there somewhere)
Right where I want to be.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

dirtbags wrote:
PieceOfMeat wrote:
Chicat wrote:
PieceOfMeat wrote:
prh wrote:Guys I'm pretty sure Chi already took care of that. Let's get back to important things like whether or not we get to smack Gonzaga in the tourney
» Beachcat97
aw, i'm probably in the minority here but am in the #freebeachcat camp. while i won't miss his constant wavering between hating & fellating ucla (and compensating with fake trolling), every board needs a BC and he is light years ahead of JW, vajayjay thakore, enflamo, etc. and a loyal contributor. plus, i post a lot of stupid things but am not banned, so that's weird too. i hope the admins will at least reconsider once the season is over.
DItto to DG's thoughts. Not seriously annoyed by BC's posts..free speech boys...just a minority view guys, so cool your jets...only some boomer ramblings. :P
prh

Post by prh »

We're up to 7 in the AP poll, with UCLA at 8 and Oregon at 10. Gonzaga up to 3.
1 Villanova
2 Kansas
3 Gonzaga
4 Kentucky
5 Baylor
6 Florida State
7 Arizona
8 UCLA
9 North Carolina
10 Oregon
11 Butler
12 Virginia
13 Louisville
14 Notre Dame
15 Wisconsin
16 Creighton
17 Duke
18 West Virginia
19 Cincinnati
20 Purdue
21 Saint Mary's
22 Maryland
23 South Carolina
24 Xavier
25 Florida
gumby

Post by gumby »

A lot of West in that poll. Awesome.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Done all of our heavy lifting away from McKale.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

take care of business this weekend and beat oregon and we're the 1 seed out west.

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

dirtbags wrote:
PieceOfMeat wrote:
Chicat wrote:
PieceOfMeat wrote:
» Beachcat97
I'm pretty tolerant, but he's been spam/trolling for a while. His posting used to be different, but this season it has just been hard to avoid.

When visitors have to see troll posts dominating a thread, it decreases the participation. Heck, I got sick of even trying to have a reasonable conversation when it was all dotted with that bs.

If he dialed it back, fine. It was not going that way, though.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ASUHATER! wrote:take care of business this weekend and beat oregon and we're the 1 seed out west.
I was led to believe we played the Washington schools this weekend.
gumby

Post by gumby »

There is something go on there that always made me feel a little bad about belittling his posts. Then again, I'm no doctor.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:take care of business this weekend and beat oregon and we're the 1 seed out west.
that's what i said. take care of business this weekend and then beat oregon.

threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

I seriously doubt we leap a Zags team that beat us easily and is still undefeated...despite RPI/SOS/whatever metric you want to throw out there.

And I can't imagine them giving out more than one #1 to west coast teams, so...go St Marys/BYU if you want a #1.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

As Corso would say, "not so fast". Still have no worse then a 1 loss Zag team that beat us. Would still have to beat either Oregon or UCLA in the PAC tourney. I just want to stay our west so a 2 seed is fine by me
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

threenumberones wrote:
I seriously doubt we leap a Zags team that beat us easily and is still undefeated...despite RPI/SOS/whatever metric you want to throw out there.

And I can't imagine them giving out more than one #1 to west coast teams, so...go St Marys/BYU if you want a #1.
We aren't going to go undefeated in the PAC but if we did there is no way we wouldn't get the #1 seed in the west, irregardless of what Gonzaga does or has done
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ASUHATER! wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
that's what i said. take care of business this weekend and then beat oregon.
Sticking in the "then" really helped me understand that better.
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

dirtbags wrote:
PieceOfMeat wrote:
Chicat wrote:
PieceOfMeat wrote:
» Beachcat97
This is why we need Rep. It was the feature from goazcats that allowed the board to be self-policing. What you post matters..otherwise you end up like the scout board, and no one wants that.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

threenumberones wrote:

They would give two #1s to west coast teams if the metrics dictated it as much. Only one gets to be the 1 in the West though, while the other would be #1 in the Midwest.

Fwiw the committee aren't robots, they would absolutely take into consideration the fact that we did not have Trier or PJC for that Gonzaga game.
Last edited by ChooChooCat on Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

threenumberones wrote:

i mentioned this in the bracketology thread, but i was under the impression that the selection committee was going to factor in advanced analytics and player / personnel absences in the seedings starting this year. i just have no idea how much benefit the committee will give us, but single-digit losses at neutral sites to the zags and butler (also without PJC for the butler game) is not too shabby.

a byu bracket assist would be great, but if we win out and gonzaga wins out (a couple of huge ifs, yes), i'm hopeful that the selection folks give us the benefit of the doubt. that's assuming our offensive & defensive metrics improve now that allonzo's back. which they will.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

dirtbags wrote:
threenumberones wrote:

i mentioned this in the bracketology thread, but i was under the impression that the selection committee was going to factor in advanced analytics and player / personnel absences in the seedings starting this year. i just have no idea how much benefit the committee will give us, but single-digit losses at neutral sites to the zags and butler (also without PJC for the butler game) is not too shabby.

a byu bracket assist would be great, but if we win out and gonzaga wins out (a couple of huge ifs, yes), i'm hopeful that the selection folks gives us the benefit of the doubt. that's assuming our offensive & defensive metrics improve now that allonzo's back. which they will.
Has the committee changed its policy? In the past, they've said that committee members could consider and discuss anything they feel is appropriate (KenPom, injuries, etc.), but they weren't under any obligation to do so. (This counters the public myth that the committee only considers RPI, record, signature wins, and how well teams finish the season)
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

threenumberones wrote:
dirtbags wrote:aw, i'm probably in the minority here but am in the #freebeachcat camp. while i won't miss his constant wavering between hating & fellating ucla (and compensating with fake trolling), every board needs a BC and he is light years ahead of JW, vajayjay thakore, enflamo, etc. and a loyal contributor. plus, i post a lot of stupid things but am not banned, so that's weird too. i hope the admins will at least reconsider once the season is over.
This is why we need Rep. It was the feature from goazcats that allowed the board to be self-policing. What you post matters..otherwise you end up like the scout board, and no one wants that.
We can vote. I'm not against that.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Why? We have to play at Oregon, which we always have issues with, and there is no return game to Mckale. If we lose in Eugene we would have to run the table and hope that Oregon gets knocked off twice in order for us to win the PAC12. I would feel much better about our chances if Utah knocks off Oregon (without Dillon Brooks) this weekend.

I really hate the unbalanced schedule.
DiehardDave37

Post by DiehardDave37 »

AP # 7!
prh

Post by prh »

dmjcat wrote:

Why? We have to play at Oregon, which we always have issues with, and there is no return game to Mckale. If we lose in Eugene we would have to run the table and hope that Oregon gets knocked off twice in order for us to win the PAC12. I would feel much better about our chances if Utah knocks off Oregon (without Dillon Brooks) this weekend.

Remember that Oregon has to visit UCLA (and should lose), making our Oregon game becomes the de facto P12 championship game. However, even if we lose that game, it's tough to see Oregon not losing another game at some point (likely @ Utah). It's weird to expect us to go 17-1 in league play, but looking at our remaining schedule (and current team focus), it's very possible I believe.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

Longhorned wrote:
dirtbags wrote:
threenumberones wrote:

a byu bracket assist would be great, but if we win out and gonzaga wins out (a couple of huge ifs, yes), i'm hopeful that the selection folks gives us the benefit of the doubt. that's assuming our offensive & defensive metrics improve now that allonzo's back. which they will.
Has the committee changed its policy? In the past, they've said that committee members could consider and discuss anything they feel is appropriate (KenPom, injuries, etc.), but they weren't under any obligation to do so. (This counters the public myth that the committee only considers RPI, record, signature wins, and how well teams finish the season)

there was a blurb after last year's tourney about the selection committee looking beyond the current criteria and developing a more holistic seeding methodology that includes strengths & weaknesses revealed in kenpom, bpi, sagarin, injury, etc. -- and that the committee would look at analytics and absence, as you mentioned, as a stepping stone measure starting this year. i was reminded of it when duke fans commented on getting a little bit of a pass from the committee for grayson's suspension and k's surgery under the more "considered" seeding process (besides the usual duke seeding bump, that is).

after doing some quick googling, the closest thing i could find was a story about a new composite ranking & analytics system that could be implemented as soon as next season, as well as tidbits about the selection committee meeting with the analytics services last week to discuss updating their eval criteria. kind of opaque on details for this year, though.

btw - the first link also mentions another change to bracket placement, that the overall #1 seed will get to choose where they want to play the first two rounds of the tourney. no idea if it'll actually shake things up all that much, tho.
cats101

Post by cats101 »

I'll gladly take a 2 seed in the West with Gonzaga as the 1 seed.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

dirtbags wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
dirtbags wrote:
threenumberones wrote:

there was a blurb after last year's tourney about the selection committee looking beyond the current criteria and developing a more holistic seeding methodology that includes strengths & weaknesses revealed in kenpom, bpi, sagarin, injury, etc. -- and that the committee would look at analytics and absence, as you mentioned, as a stepping stone measure starting this year. i was reminded of it when duke fans commented on getting a little bit of a pass from the committee for grayson's suspension and k's surgery under the more "considered" seeding process (besides the usual duke seeding bump, that is).

after doing some quick googling, the closest thing i could find was a story about a new composite ranking & analytics system that could be implemented as soon as next season, as well as tidbits about the selection committee meeting with the analytics services last week to discuss updating their eval criteria. kind of opaque on details for this year, though.

btw - the first link also mentions another change to bracket placement, that the overall #1 seed will get to choose where they want to play the first two rounds of the tourney. no idea if it'll actually shake things up all that much, tho.
Thanks. I'm interested to see how it works. People like the committee at ESPN Bracketology (it's a real committee now where Lundardi is just a figurehead) must have all the rules as well.
gumby

Post by gumby »

cats101 wrote:I'll gladly take a 2 seed in the West with Gonzaga as the 1 seed.
Agree, though I might get thrown out of town after we vanquish them from the tourney for the third time.

However, I do believe we would leapfrog them if we beat Oregon or win Pac-12 tourney.
We lost by 7, with 7 players. We're much stronger now.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

prh wrote:
dmjcat wrote:

Remember that Oregon has to visit UCLA (and should lose), making our Oregon game becomes the de facto P12 championship game. However, even if we lose that game, it's tough to see Oregon not losing another game at some point (likely @ Utah). It's weird to expect us to go 17-1 in league play, but looking at our remaining schedule (and current team focus), it's very possible I believe.
It is weird to say, but I'm kind of expecting it because of how our schedule plays out and how little I think of anyone beyond UCLA and Oregon. I think we win one of our remaining two games (I could see it being either, honestly) and finish 17-1. I think I believe that because we can beat you every possible way on offense. We haven't had that in so long. Our defense will always be there. We finally can sustain even if there is foul trouble. And we are so hungry with Trier leading the way. Kind of feels like the way Tom Brady has been on such a mission that I don't think he can be stopped....which is good, as I am a Pats fan....which I know is not popular, well, anywhere.