Dinner Tonight

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

scumdevils86

Re: Dinner Tonight

Post by scumdevils86 »

Back in the day I'd take ramen and add stuff like soy sauce, eggs (think fried rice eggs) lime juice, sriracha, sesame oil, rice wine vinegar, ginger and garlic to it. Made a cheap and poor meal on minimum wage feel like some much more.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Catatonic wrote:Heat water to just before boiling while cooking bacon.

When bacon is done move it to plate and allow to cool until you can break it into bite sized pieces like big bacon bits.

When water is ready cook a chicken flavor cup of noodles with it.

Fry eggs until done with runny yolks.

Place bacon pieces on plate, top with strained cup of noodle. Just the noodle and the bits of veggie/chicken, not the water. Top with fried eggs and then season with Tabasco. Tits.
scumdevils86 wrote:Back in the day I'd take ramen and add stuff like soy sauce, eggs (think fried rice eggs) lime juice, sriracha, sesame oil, rice wine vinegar, ginger and garlic to it. Made a cheap and poor meal on minimum wage feel like some much more.
If you guys haven't seen Auntie Fee's cooking videos yet, you're in for a treat.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Here's Auntie Fee's Youtube page.

https://www.youtube.com/user/auntyfee

It all started with the "baked chicken." Best recipe presentation ever. Ever.

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Merkin wrote:
gumby wrote: By the way, whatever happened to Steak-umm?

Well, never gonna guess what I am making for dinner with Steak-Umms.

Although 99% of the time I despise processed meat, some things actually don't turn out so bad.

My son asked for jalapenos on his in addition to the pablanos.

gumby

Post by gumby »

That's so sinful. Almost NSFW.
Right where I want to be.
gumby

Post by gumby »

BearDown89 wrote:Here's Auntie Fee's Youtube page.

That was motherfuckin awesome. Hope she has a really clean sink.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

eh it's frozen chicken and she's gonna bake it or refreeze it. ain't no one gonna die.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

scumdevils86 wrote:eh it's frozen chicken and she's gonna bake it or refreeze it. ain't no one gonna die.
I'm not afraid of dying. I'm afraid of people holding onto the handle while standing on the bus, coming home and washing collective hand guck into their sink, and me consuming it in any kind of baked or refrozen form. Forget dying. Ingesting it is punishment enough.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Longhorned wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:eh it's frozen chicken and she's gonna bake it or refreeze it. ain't no one gonna die.
I'm not afraid of dying. I'm afraid of people holding onto the handle while standing on the bus, coming home and washing collective hand guck into their sink, and me consuming it in any kind of baked or refrozen form. Forget dying. Ingesting it is punishment enough.
What were you, raised in a barn? No self respecting person washes their hands in the kitchen sink.

That was my mother in law, constantly harping on me since I wash my hands in the kitchen sink almost daily.

But it's my house, so my kitchen sink. My kids ignored her too since I did.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Merkin wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
What were you, raised in a barn? No self respecting person washes their hands in the kitchen sink.

That was my mother in law, constantly harping on me since I wash my hands in the kitchen sink almost daily.

There would be no end to my regulating behavior in my house for sanitary purposes. For one thing, my wife would have to leave. I don't see a lot of other women lining up for Longhorned action. So I best keep my mouth shut.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Merkin wrote:
Longhorned wrote:

I peed in the sink the third day I lived here.

My house, my sink, my drunk self who really had to piss.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

How the motherfuck does she not have a show on the motherfucking food network?
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

I want the gravy!
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

wyo-cat wrote:I want the motherfucking gravy!
fyp
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Leftovers from July 6, frozen in the freezer.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Omelette with garden fresh tomatoes, basil, locally sourced cheddar, and 2 honey baked ham slices. Tortilla and Chalupa sauce.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Red chili beef tamales from the lady in the Safeway parking lot
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

scumdevils86 wrote:Red chili beef tamales from the lady in the Safeway parking lot
I gotta get me one them ladies in the Safeway parking lot. I love parking lot tamales.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

scumdevils86 wrote:Red chili beef tamales from the lady in the Safeway parking lot
Nice. I've bought many a dozen tamales in that Safeway parking lot.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Mmhmmm always hits the spot
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Going to make fish tacos tonight. Never made them but it looks simple enough.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

The expected high temperature where I live won't make it out of the 60s over the next four days.

Time to start up again my usual Thursday night pea soup and pancakes. For which I bought a supply of beautiful pork hocks from the the best pork farm in the region. And plentiful bottles of maple syrup and jars of cloudberry jam.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

what's your pea soup recipe? that's one of my favorite things to make because it is so simple and cheap to do. i haven't made it in a while though because pea soup doesn't really hit the spot when it is 105 and humid outside.

i know it has peas, pork hocks, carrots, onion, bay leaf, salt, pepper, garlic, chicken stock...but i can't remember what else i did.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Must be a regional thing, can't find beef chili tamales. Most available where I live are either pork, chicken, and chili relleno, which is just the queso and green chilies which is my favorite and really good. Sure miss the Sonoran green corn tamales.

Just grilled some very boring chicken breasts last night (which I do like), and only wanted to comment than I have a new favorite seasoning. Have been using Suzie Q's for the last 20 years or so which I still like, but that's $8.79 at Costco, and this is $3.45 and I like it just as much. Believe the sodium is less too.

When I lived in SF I had quite a few friend who were ABCs (American Born Chinese) and had them over for a BBQ one time. They said that Chinese don't eat chicken breasts since breasts are so dry compared to thigh meat.

I find chicken breasts very moist if don' grill them too long.

BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Merkin wrote:Must be a regional thing, can't find beef chili tamales. Most available where I live are either pork, chicken, and chili relleno, which is just the queso and green chilies which is my favorite and really good. Sure miss the Sonoran green corn tamales.

Just grilled some very boring chicken breasts last night (which I do like), and only wanted to comment than I have a new favorite seasoning. Have been using Suzie Q's for the last 20 years or so which I still like, but that's $8.79 at Costco, and this is $3.45 and I like it just as much. Believe the sodium is less too.

When I lived in SF I had quite a few friend who were ABCs (American Born Chinese) and had them over for a BBQ one time. They said that Chinese don't eat chicken breasts since breasts are so dry compared to thigh meat.

I find chicken breasts very moist if don' grill them too long.

Yeah Merk, I slice 'em up just like that too. I bulk freeze them in ziplocs marinated with cheap Lawry's brand marinades - Mesquite, Chile Lime, Garlic Herb, whatever you like. Thaw 'em out day of in the sink. I find that the freeze/thaw cycle with the marinade works great. I've just always had the touch on the grill with the chicken breasts. After I take them off I always cover them in foil and let them rest just like a steak. Plate up everything else and then slice them on the bias kind of like you did there. They're always juicy and there's juice in the resting pan to drizzle over. My family and friends always rave about them. Never dry.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

once I get a new grill (buddy has a nice weber he will no longer be able to use at his new apartment in phoenix) I will be a grilling machine again. I would buy crap tons of chicken from sams club or albertsons and freeze them in a couple different marinades and then just take out a pack here and there and grill them up.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Going to try to get me some of this over the weekend.

Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

scumdevils86 wrote:what's your pea soup recipe? that's one of my favorite things to make because it is so simple and cheap to do. i haven't made it in a while though because pea soup doesn't really hit the spot when it is 105 and humid outside.

i know it has peas, pork hocks, carrots, onion, bay leaf, salt, pepper, garlic, chicken stock...but i can't remember what else i did.
I agree with Mark Bittman that all you need is peas and water. But then I lived on a Greek island with a family while I worked in their olive fields, and when Lent came we kept eating peas cooked in water until my soul shrank to the size of a split pea. They'd complain about this German guy who worked with me, who back in December made a "German pea soup" that was "too heavy" with sausages and bacon in it, and I thought that sounded pretty good.

My favorite way is to make a stock from the ham hock and onion, carrot, celery, and bay leaf. Then I remove the vegetables and add the peas and cook them until they're soft. Then I remove the bone and set the pieces of meat that fell off it aside, add salt and pepper, and stick in an emersion blender and puree it all, and then add the pieces of meat.

For most of the year when I can't get good ham hocks, I make a chicken stock, and to the soup I add a thickly cut sausage patty, some cut up breakfast sausage links, or bacon or both.

But always with pancakes.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Pancakes? With pea soup? You're going to have explain the genesis of that combo LH . . .

I make my pea soup without the ham and hocks. I know, probably sacrilege to the pea soup connoisseur, but I don't care for the smoky ham flavor in this instance. Start with chicken broth, lots of onions, garlic, celery carrots, split peas, salt pepper, etc. Nothing fancy. Simmer until the peas break down. It has texture. Eat with more fresh cracked black pepper and Tabasco.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

BearDown89 wrote:Pancakes? With pea soup? You're going to have explain the genesis of that combo LH . . .

I make my pea soup without the ham and hocks. I know, probably sacrilege to the pea soup connoisseur, but I don't care for the smoky ham flavor in this instance. Start with chicken broth, lots of onions, garlic, celery carrots, split peas, salt pepper, etc. Nothing fancy. Simmer until the peas break down. It has texture. Eat with more fresh cracked black pepper and Tabasco.
That sounds delish. And I love Tabasco, and agree with residents of the island where it's made: "Good on everything but cake."

Pea soup and pancakes is the standard Thursday night supper in Sweden and Finland. Back when I first learned about it and asked why this was so, a Swedish girl told me, "Because everybody likes pea soup and pancakes." Well, okay then.
cats101

Post by cats101 »

Love Aunt Fee :D

Her some sweet shit for the kids video is funny too.

Had a protein smoothie for dinner. Whey protein, silk milk, water, blueberries, peanut butter, half banana. Lazy and boring, I know, but taste like a reesee.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

cats101 wrote: Had a protein smoothie for dinner. Whey protein, silk milk, water, blueberries, peanut butter, half banana. Lazy and boring, I know, but taste like a reesee.
I refuse to believe that those ingredients combine to make something that tastes like this: Image
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Tonight: sardines on toast
gumby

Post by gumby »

Longhorned wrote:
BearDown89 wrote:Pancakes? With pea soup? You're going to have explain the genesis of that combo LH . . .

That sounds delish. And I love Tabasco, and agree with residents of the island where it's made: "Good on everything but cake."

Pea soup and pancakes is the standard Thursday night supper in Sweden and Finland. Back when I first learned about it and asked why this was so, a Swedish girl told me, "Because everybody likes pea soup and pancakes." Well, okay then.
Catholic in origin. More of the crepes-style on the cakes, according to this.

http://www.thelocal.se/blogs/snuggling/ ... -pancakes/

So it's pea soup for dinner and pancakes for dessert. I'd sub this for Thanksgiving dinner, if it were up to me. Few things are.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Why don't people just eat their favorite foods for Thanksgiving? How does flavorless turkey make the cut?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

You aint never lived til you've had sardines on toast.

Here's my recipe, modified from something I pulled off the BBC:

Get some parsley ready by cleaning it and putting it in a little glass with some scissors.

Cut up some grape tomatoes like you do for bruschetta.

Slice half a baguette into thirds, and then sandwich slice each third.

Mix 2 teaspoons (tea spoons) Dijon mustard with 50 grams soft butter.

Mix together 2 tablespoons (table spoons) vinegar, 1 tablespoon disolvable sugar, 1 tablespoon capers

Put some flour on a plate with a reasonable amount of salt and paper.

Take 2 tins of sardines and open up each sardine flat to remove the spine. Try to keep the fillets integral, but let’s not go nuts about this. Dredge the sardine pieces in the flour.

Slice an onion so that it won’t melt. Heat a pan over medium heat and put in a couple tablespoon olive oil and add the onions and cook until nicely softened but not changing color, so it’s like spaghetti. Heat the broiler. Add the mixture of vinegar, sugar, and capers. Turn off the heat and chop up the parsley and add it.

Heat a pan over medium high heat. Add about 2 tablespoons olive oil.

Toast the bread in the broiler. Butter it with the mustard butter while you fry each side of the fillets of sardines for a minute or so.

Spoon the grape tomatoes over the buttered bread, put the sardines over that, and the pickled onion mix over that. That’s it.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Impressed myself with baked parmesan chicken breasts.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Last night the wife made chili. On a whim, I used some leftover coconut rice as the base.

Honestly one of the tastier combinations I've ever had. I want to pitch the recipe to a chain restaurant like Chili's or TGIFridays.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Coconut rice is totally what chili needs.

Tonight I'm making a pasta with bluefish. I'll get to see what the big deal with bluefish is. People love it or hate it. Hard to obtain because it can't be frozen, and it goes from fresh to strongly fishy very quickly. Unless it's somebody's typo, I'm getting it today for $1.99 a pound.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Longhorned wrote:Coconut rice is totally what chili needs.

Tonight I'm making a pasta with bluefish. I'll get to see what the big deal with bluefish is. People love it or hate it. Hard to obtain because it can't be frozen, and it goes from fresh to strongly fishy very quickly. Unless it's somebody's typo, I'm getting it today for $1.99 a pound.
I'd take a big ol' whiff of that fish before plopping down your credit card. $1.99 a pound makes me think someone found a couple that had fallen underneath the sorting table at the processing plant and decided to send them along anyway.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Chicat wrote:
Longhorned wrote:Coconut rice is totally what chili needs.

I'd take a big ol' whiff of that fish before plopping down your credit card. $1.99 a pound makes me think someone found a couple that had fallen underneath the sorting table at the processing plant and decided to send them along anyway.
I'm pretty sure it's $7.99 a pound, and that they're in for long day of assholes who insist on the $1.99 price because of the typo in the email. My dad would certainly do that. I'll gladly pay the fair price.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Leftover parmesan chicken (didn't see that coming). Chopped that up, laid it across a bed of lemon basmati rice and topped it with Trader Joe's red curry sauce.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Not dinner, but having Pete's Fish and Chips for lunch today. yummy.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

azgreg wrote:Not dinner, but having Pete's Fish and Chips for lunch today. yummy.
If Pete's is anything like the last time I had it (1989 I'd guess), that's a damn good lunch.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicken and rice with peas and carrots.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

mahi mahi fish burgers with the Trader Joe's jalapeño tartar sauce and a side salad
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Christmas beans in a buttery tomato and onion sauce over farro, covered in parmigiano reggiano.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Longhorned wrote:You aint never lived til you've had sardines on toast.

Here's my recipe, modified from something I pulled off the BBC:

Get some parsley ready by cleaning it and putting it in a little glass with some scissors.

Cut up some grape tomatoes like you do for bruschetta.

Slice half a baguette into thirds, and then sandwich slice each third.

Mix 2 teaspoons (tea spoons) Dijon mustard with 50 grams soft butter.

Mix together 2 tablespoons (table spoons) vinegar, 1 tablespoon disolvable sugar, 1 tablespoon capers

Put some flour on a plate with a reasonable amount of salt and paper.

Take 2 tins of sardines and open up each sardine flat to remove the spine. Try to keep the fillets integral, but let’s not go nuts about this. Dredge the sardine pieces in the flour.

Slice an onion so that it won’t melt. Heat a pan over medium heat and put in a couple tablespoon olive oil and add the onions and cook until nicely softened but not changing color, so it’s like spaghetti. Heat the broiler. Add the mixture of vinegar, sugar, and capers. Turn off the heat and chop up the parsley and add it.

Heat a pan over medium high heat. Add about 2 tablespoons olive oil.

Toast the bread in the broiler. Butter it with the mustard butter while you fry each side of the fillets of sardines for a minute or so.

Spoon the grape tomatoes over the buttered bread, put the sardines over that, and the pickled onion mix over that. That’s it.
??
http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/fresh ... oast_31826
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

That's the one! Next time I'm ordering some fresh, whole sardines and de-boning and spreading them like in that recipe.
gumby

Post by gumby »

scumdevils86 wrote:mahi mahi fish burgers with the Trader Joe's jalapeño tartar sauce and a side salad
I'm loving that tartar sauce ... thanks for the head's up.