Bribery Scandal - FBI Probe - Book Richardson Involved

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Macho Grande

Bribery Scandal - FBI Probe - Book Richardson Involved

Post by Macho Grande »

http://www.businessinsider.com/college- ... sts-2017-9" target="_blank

A college basketball bribery scandal is expected to lead to arrests of 10 people — including an apparel executive

The FBI arrested 10 people on charges of charges of fraud and corruption in college basketball on Tuesday.

The Department of Justice announced Tuesday that four college basketball coaches at Auburn and Oklahoma State University and had been arrested, as well as managers, financial advisors, and representatives of a major international sportswear company.

Jim Gatto, director of global sports marketing for basketball at Adidas, is also named a defendant.
Last edited by Macho Grande on Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:23 am, edited 5 times in total.
Macho Grande

Re: Bribery Scandal

Post by Macho Grande »

And now this...
Sidewinder

Re: Bribery Scandal

Post by Sidewinder »

Here's the complaint in which Book is named

https://www.justice.gov/usao-sdny/press ... 6/download" target="_blank
"Yeah, well, I always heard there were three kinds of suns in kansas: sunshine, sunflowers, and sons-of-bitches"
Main Event

Re: Bribery Scandal Involving Book Richardson

Post by Main Event »

I was good on Book years ago smh. This shit isn't gonna end well
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Well we all knew Miller being coach and Arizona being good would end sometime. Here's looking forward to an NCAA death penalty.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Count 10 - "...making and concealing bribe payments to current and prospective student athletes...." in 2016 through September 2017

Arizona basketball is over.
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Bear Down Vegas

Post by Bear Down Vegas »

Speechless.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Should have taken a clue when Book was hanging around Ace and passing him insider information.
UAtrue

Post by UAtrue »

Ohhh man.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Book has been a loose cannon the entire time at AZ, this is no secret to anyone.

the only baffeling part in any of this is the fact that Sean Miller didn't part ways with Richardson after his leave of absence.
Hank of sb

Post by Hank of sb »

pc in NM wrote:Count 10 - "...making and concealing bribe payments to current and prospective student athletes...." in 2016 through September 2017

Arizona basketball is over.
Indeed it is. The only question is whether Book acted alone, which is possible. That said, we knew Book was a 'weak' man--a man who had known character problems--so even if Book did act alone his continued hire rests on Miller.

One has to imagine a couple of players won't be on this year's team and all incoming players will have to be released and may be ineligible to play anywhere.

What Book did went beyond greed; his crime was ruinous to the kids, their families and all of us--a number that is so large it can't be counted.

The death penalty can't come soon enough. Even time won't heal this wound for those that are my age.

We're out of time.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Prediction: Miller resigns; Romar becomes (acting?) Head Coach
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
gumby

Post by gumby »

Jesus Christ. Sting operation. Took money in June and July. Steering players to school in exchange for future with them as agent and gear peddler.
Right where I want to be.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

So in essence money was given to kids by the shoe companies to wear there products in the future brokered by these coaches and there relationship with these kids? I mean we are a Nike program and the guy from addidas was charged.

Hard to imagine this is focused on just 4 coaches. One would think all the top programs funded by the shoe companies had some culpability

I would think the seedy underbelly of college bball and AAU bball is about to be exposed. Does this mean Basnight was right....gulp
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
gumby

Post by gumby »

pc in NM wrote:Prediction: Miller resigns; Romar becomes (acting?) Head Coach
Under the weight of penalties.
UAtrue

Post by UAtrue »

No current/future players named. Wonder when that list is going to come out?
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

All we have to do is look to Louisville. Book resigns, Miller puts it all on him, we cut one scholarship a year for two years preemptively, fight any consideration of this case (much less resolution of it) into next year, deny into oblivion that any of it ever occurred and threaten to sue anyone who even looks at our program with an askance eye (including the NCAA) for lost profits and punitive damages.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

If Miller has any knowledge if anything going on and wasn't immediately working hand in hand with FBI and NCAA investigators he needs to be fired tomorrow

Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

97cats wrote:Book has been a loose cannon the entire time at AZ, this is no secret to anyone.

the only baffeling part in any of this is the fact that Sean Miller didn't part ways with Richardson after his leave of absence.
Possibly because Sean is involved?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Floods, Fires, Hurricanes, Trump, Possible Nuclear War, and the end of Arizona Basketball.

The End of The World is here.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I'm speechless. There's really nothing left for me to cheer for in college sports.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Alieberman wrote:Floods, Fires, Hurricanes, Trump, Possible Nuclear War, and the end of Arizona Basketball.

There was a multi decade academic cheating scandal. What came of that?

There was a multi decade institutional kiddie rape scandal. What came of that? Last I checked that team was ranked in the top 5.

We need to have some patience.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Here's the actual wording from Count 10
....EVANS, RICHARDSON, BLAND, DAWKINS, and SOOD, and others known and unknown, participated in a scheme to defraud University-2, University-3, University-4, and University-5 by facilitating and concealing bribe payments to prospective and current student-athletes at those universities, and/or their families, including by telephone, email, and wire transfers of funds, among other means, thereby causing University-2, University-3, University-4, and University-5 to provide athletic scholarships to student­ athletes who, in truth and in fact, were ineligible to compete as a result of the bribe payments.
"student­ athletes who, in truth and in fact, were ineligible to compete as a result of the bribe payments."

― Kinky Friedman
Hank of sb

Post by Hank of sb »

SCCats wrote:All we have to do is look to Louisville. Book resigns, Miller puts it all on him, we cut one scholarship a year for two years preemptively, fight any consideration of this case (much less resolution of it) into next year, deny into oblivion that any of it ever occurred and threaten to sue anyone who even looks at our program with an askance eye (including the NCAA) for lost profits and punitive damages.
What good is this going to do? This is about $ changing hands with proof as clear as day.

I mean what's the point?

Yes, I'd rather think this is ALL Book....and, I suppose, it could be.

Still.....this is ruinous, regardless.
gumby

Post by gumby »

SCCats wrote:All we have to do is look to Louisville. Book resigns, Miller puts it all on him, we cut one scholarship a year for two years preemptively, fight any consideration of this case (much less resolution of it) into next year, deny into oblivion that any of it ever occurred and threaten to sue anyone who even looks at our program with an askance eye (including the NCAA) for lost profits and punitive damages.
This best-case scenario sounds like fun!
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

If this stuff is true we're looking at a mini death penalty type situation.

prh

Post by prh »

Oh this isn't good
https://www.reddit.com/r/CollegeBasketb ... n/dnj54fu/" target="_blank
I turned to my co-worker and said “I’m going to wait to make fun of these guys” and then I opened the complaint from DOJ and one of our coaches was named

EDIT: Reading the complaint now and it looks like Richardson is also accused of giving money to a high school recruit to play for Arizona

EDIT2: Page 46 of this complaint is where the real juicy stuff is, all recorded via wiretap
"DAWKINS made reference to one basketball player at [Arizona] who already had recieved payments "so we got no expenses there," and told RICHARDSON that "you use that money that you get from him to help you recruit, do whatever or fucking just go on vacation with it."
And it's hard to read this next paragraph, from a June 20 wiretap, without thinking it's about DeAndre Ayton. If someone can track down if Ayton visited campus in late June, that would all but confirm it. see latest edit

DAWKINS and RICHARDSON then discussed a high school basketball player, Player-5, that RICHARDSON was paying to recruit to [Arizona]. DAWKINS told RICHARDSON he could "use that shit towards that" – i.e., funnel part of the bribe money to Player-5 – adding "it's multiple ways to skin a cat, you basically tell them how you need your shit structured and I think they'll come through for you." RICHARDSON then told DAWKINS that Player-5 would be "on campus" that weekend and was likely to commit to play basketball at [Arizona], "so, you know what I'm saying, like, now, would I be out of bounds to try to get five from him?" DAWKINS replied, "I told them to have some money for you to make you feel good about yourself . . . but if not, five for [Player-5], is done."
EDIT3: Jahvon Quinerley visited Tucson from June 24-26
Last edited by prh on Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

I'm assuming Quinnerly is the guy in question?
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

Omfg.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

SCCats wrote:
Alieberman wrote:Floods, Fires, Hurricanes, Trump, Possible Nuclear War, and the end of Arizona Basketball.

There was a multi decade academic cheating scandal. What came of that?

There was a multi decade institutional kiddie rape scandal. What came of that? Last I checked that team was ranked in the top 5.

We need to have some patience.
No shit; I hate UNC and their fluffing of the NCAA even more right now.

This just took a huge poop on my day.

Fuck man...I'm about to shed a tear here. Seriously...just speechless.
gumby

Post by gumby »

UAtrue wrote:No current/future players named. Wonder when that list is going to come out?
Investigation started in 2015. Going to be some current and/or future players.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

pc in NM wrote:Here's the actual wording from Count 10
....EVANS, RICHARDSON, BLAND, DAWKINS, and SOOD, and others known and unknown, participated in a scheme to defraud University-2, University-3, University-4, and University-5 by facilitating and concealing bribe payments to prospective and current student-athletes at those universities, and/or their families, including by telephone, email, and wire transfers of funds, among other means, thereby causing University-2, University-3, University-4, and University-5 to provide athletic scholarships to student­ athletes who, in truth and in fact, were ineligible to compete as a result of the bribe payments.
"student­ athletes who, in truth and in fact, were ineligible to compete as a result of the bribe payments."
This reads almost as if the case would be the University of Arizona vs. Book Richardson. Or the state vs. Book with UofA as the victim.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

gumby wrote:
This best-case scenario sounds like fun!
Gotta look on the bright side. right?? :lol:
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

We know the NCAA frowns more on paying players than it does on rape and pedophilia, so this program is done being a factor for a food decade. Congrats to Oregon and UCLA for now being the top programs in the league.

CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I hope uofa throw book under the bus and denies denies denies.
CalStateTempe

Re: Huge Bribery Scandal. Book Richardson Involved

Post by CalStateTempe »

Welp, looks like I'm getting shit done at work today.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I always said that I knew we bent rules here or there but that I'd be downright shocked if we were out and out cheating such as by paying players.

I am beyond shocked. I am literally sick to my stomach.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Hank of sb

Post by Hank of sb »

Puerco wrote:
pc in NM wrote:Here's the actual wording from Count 10
This reads almost as if the case would be the University of Arizona vs. Book Richardson. Or the state vs. Book with UofA as the victim.
Forget about Book's alcohol issues, he was the guy who was giving information to PGU....now we can surmise that was for money. I mean really. What was Sean thinking?

Think about this. If Sean is clean no one will ever really know.....and for the rest of his life. To boot, his home, his wealth, his kids and wife might be considered purloined goods.

This is astonishing as Sean Miller, if anything, doesn't appear to be a man that would get caught up in something like this.

Quinerly, BTW, is the Addidas recruit that many believe was involved.

I remember thinking, at the time, why Addidas. It didn't make sense.

And so it didn't.
Dosia

Post by Dosia »

Chicat wrote:I always said that I knew we bent rules here or there but that I'd be downright shocked if we were out and out cheating such as by paying players.

Im pretty sure all of the big schools pay players. I would be shocked if they didnt.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

Wow, this day is the worst
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Hank of sb wrote: Forget about Book's alcohol issues, he was the guy who was giving information to PGU....now we can surmise that was for money. I mean really. What was Sean thinking?
20-20 hindsight is a great thing, but should have fired his ass right then instead of forcing him to take a leave of absence.

Wonder how this all ties in with Ace's death? Rumors about of Ace and LV mob ties, although just speculating out loud.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I know this is mainly about the big picture, but any ideas how this may impact the current season? Could we be tourney-ineligible immediately?
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

OMFG

*stares blankly into the oblivion*
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Chicat wrote:I always said that I knew we bent rules here or there but that I'd be downright shocked if we were out and out cheating such as by paying players.

Likewise
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Miller to the NBA is probably more of a reality then ever before.

And we will become unlv at best.

Like for me forget about going to Hawaii to watching them in 18, forget about all the tourney weekend roadies I'll never take over the next several years, think about mckale magic. All gone.

And hank great post on miller. Even if he is innocent this will taint him the rest of career. What a shitty shity hand to be dealt.

God dammit I am just crushed right now.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Merkin wrote:
Hank of sb wrote: Forget about Book's alcohol issues, he was the guy who was giving information to PGU....now we can surmise that was for money. I mean really. What was Sean thinking?
20-20 hindsight is a great thing, but should have fired his ass right then instead of forcing him to take a leave of absence.

Wonder how this all ties in with Ace's death? Rumors about of Ace and LV mob ties, although just speculating out loud.
Did ace really die? I thought that was a hoax.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

The FBI wiretapped conversations. There will be no ambiguity, it’s the FBI.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

This is going to be worst then the lute retire meltdown thread.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Given our clean record under this coaching staff, unless this ties back to Miller directly, the NCAA won't come crushing us. Even if Book diverted money to players, as long as it was not done with Miller's knowledge. Yes, something will come of it, but unless that extra tie is there, history suggests a first time offended in a world of UNCs and Kentucky's and Louisvilles will not be crushed.

But we need to know the whole story. And we've all seen this before...be careful of the "some are saying" or "reportedly..." stuff, because the twitterverse is not big on solid sources. By the end of today, Book might be funding death squads meant to eli.inate competition for recruits with Miller and co drinking the blood of the vanquished.

Just let it play out. This is bad enough without adding hysterical leaps to form conclusions
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Olsondogg wrote:The FBI wiretapped conversations. There will be no ambiguity, it’s the FBI.
The Eye is involved?

Oh.