RR not fired

*END OF BROADCAST*
Source?
DeezNuts
RazorsEdgeAZ

Re: Fire RR

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Puerco wrote:
RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:Keep in mind how rare it has been for UA teams to improve their conference records year to year. Since start of UA Pac days, only two coaches have improved their conference wins by 3 games from prior year. It's only happened in three seasons. Tomey did it twice and RR once.

The great Larry Smith spent his entire time at UA improving his teams conference records in the years he did by 1 game at a time. Majority of Tomey years were staying flat with conference records or having be worse year-to-year, Stoops too.

Tomey, Stoops and RR have all had seasons where 1 or 2 conference wins was their starting point to improve upon.

RR needs 1 more win to be the 4th time since 1978 a UA team have improved by 3 conference wins from previous year (also his 2nd time to do it, ties Tomey)

2 more wins and RR does something no other UA coach has done since 1978.
Ahh... Just so we're clear, to improve on your previous season's win count by three games at mid-season? That means you had a really, really shitty previous season. But hey, congratulations!
Thanks. That's my point. Why it's so rarely accomplished (the really shitty previous season you point out). Why I added Tomey, Stoops and RR all had similar bad starting points.

(Probably shouldn't ask.... who or what the Hell is machina? It/They been reference 20+ times in this thread alone.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:
Puerco wrote:
RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:Keep in mind how rare it has been for UA teams to improve their conference records year to year. Since start of UA Pac days, only two coaches have improved their conference wins by 3 games from prior year. It's only happened in three seasons. Tomey did it twice and RR once.

The great Larry Smith spent his entire time at UA improving his teams conference records in the years he did by 1 game at a time. Majority of Tomey years were staying flat with conference records or having be worse year-to-year, Stoops too.

Tomey, Stoops and RR have all had seasons where 1 or 2 conference wins was their starting point to improve upon.

RR needs 1 more win to be the 4th time since 1978 a UA team have improved by 3 conference wins from previous year (also his 2nd time to do it, ties Tomey)

Ahh... Just so we're clear, to improve on your previous season's win count by three games at mid-season? That means you had a really, really shitty previous season. But hey, congratulations!
Thanks. That's my point. Why it's so rarely accomplished (the really shitty previous season you point out). Why I added Tomey, Stoops and RR all had similar bad starting points.

(Probably shouldn't ask.... who or what the Hell is machina? It/They been reference 20+ times in this thread alone.
machina was phxcats old name on TOS. he changed it when he came here so people wouldn't know it was him. but his obnoxious takes and sanctimonious attitude towards other "bad" uofa fans came right along with him
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

UALoco wrote:
btfd16 wrote:
UALoco wrote:*This just in!*

*NEWS BULLETIN*

RR not fired

*END OF BROADCAST*
Source?
DeezNuts
Ahhh they received votes in last years election. Checks out.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

EVCat wrote:
Puerco wrote:

absolutely true. But also fair to say the ability to do so after such a shitty season is pretty solid evidence the shitty season was an aberration, since you can't really improve a roster that much in one year in football. And, yes, Tate, but yes, the defense has been much improved (as shown above) and the line has been tremendous.

So if it is fair to note how bad a single year is, it is also fair to note when a team improves considerably off of it under the same coach. You would expect the trend to continue downward. Instead, it is a weird drop in an otherwise consistently higher level. And while 8-5 isn't the greatest record ever, you can pretty much take every lower half PAC 12 record and bump it by one win against the non Big-10 teams around the country playing that aren't playing that 9 game schedule. Yeah, 8-5 is pretty blah in modern football, but it is not the same in the PAC and Big 10 that it is in other conferences. That 4th OOC game is, in most years, for most P5 teams, a win. In 50% of the PAC, it is a loss. And, of course, the closer to the bottom half you get, the more likely that 9th game was a loss. In most conferences, you can schedule yourself to 4-0.
Agreed.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

CalStateTempe wrote:schedule easy conference style. Nice
As far as I'm concerned, it's just marketing.

Who would say you shouldn't try to market yourself better?

People that don't know business.
Rick Kane

Re: General Malaise and Complaining about the Football Progr

Post by Rick Kane »

First time poster but long time lerker. Nice to see this thread name has changed.

Kind of hard to fire the coach who is going to get the PAC 12 Coach of the year award.

To all those who wanted to fire Rich Rod - You were wrong. You should have had more patience.

This is shaping up as potentially one of the greatest seasons in the history of our program.

I hope Rich Rod is here for a long time.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I have no problem admitting I was wrong.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

They should give the COY award to Khalil Tate. Or maybe to the guy who hurt Dawkins.

Nothing else at all has changed from the beginning of the season.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Well he is doing what he is paid to do, win games and he gets paid handsomely.

I hope he stays and keeps us at this level every year and he will be great the next two years with Tate. He needs to find that next special guy and make us QB U
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
prh

Post by prh »

Yeah I wouldn't go so far as to say everything is great. We just gave up 500+ yards passing to a backup quarterback who played 1 half + 3 minutes. Chi is right, COY belongs more to Tate than RR.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Chicat wrote:They should give the COY award to Khalil Tate. Or maybe to the guy who hurt Dawkins.

Double amen
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Rick Kane wrote:First time poster but long time lerker. Nice to see this thread name has changed.

Kind of hard to fire the coach who is going to get the PAC 12 Coach of the year award.

To all those who wanted to fire Rich Rod - You were wrong. You should have had more patience.

This is shaping up as potentially one of the greatest seasons in the history of our program.

No one that wanted RR fired was remotely wrong. Still wouldn't be wrong now for wanting it. 1 player doing amazing things doesn't make up for the dump truck of garbage that was RRs coaching and recruiting jobs the previous 2 seasons.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

azcat49 wrote:Well he is doing what he is paid to do, win games and he gets paid handsomely.

I hope he stays and keeps us at this level every year and he will be great the next two years with Tate. He needs to find that next special guy and make us QB U
Exactly. OK, we've won six games. Khalil Tate has been revealed, albeit inadvertently, as the college football Newcomer of the Year in 2017.

But I love Arizona fans' overreactions, already handing RichRod an extension. This resurgence is not about him. We need to keep this whole staff and whole program together. So let's keep the premature ejaculations to ourselves until at least after the SC game, OK?
Last edited by catgrad97 on Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

I hear that Florida Job might be open soon. :D
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
Rick Kane

Post by Rick Kane »

Chicat wrote:They should give the COY award to Khalil Tate. Or maybe to the guy who hurt Dawkins.

Seriously?

Does Tate coach himself? Because he came in last year and looked like a total stud...oh wait

I am at a loss for words with the hate for Rich Rod and the lack of credit he gets for the success our program is having this year.

After a winning season in 2015, Rich Rod turned down a much better job in South Carolina and fired his long time defensive assistant coaches to revamp our program.

Two years later, with an extremely young team, we are playing for 1st place in November for the PAC 12 South race. Just let those words sink in

Its a borderline miracle and Rich Rod deserves a ton of credit for it
Rick Kane

Post by Rick Kane »

ASUHATER! wrote:
Rick Kane wrote:First time poster but long time lerker. Nice to see this thread name has changed.

No one that wanted RR fired was remotely wrong. Still wouldn't be wrong now for wanting it. 1 player doing amazing things doesn't make up for the dump truck of garbage that was RRs coaching and recruiting jobs the previous 2 seasons.
Yes you were wrong. 10000% wrong. Anyone who wanted Rich Rod fired either is a fake fan of the University of Arizona or does not understand the history behind Arizona football. We are not a great program, never have been. What Rich Rod is doing this year is literally the impossible.

If you still want Rich Rod fired my advice is find another program to cheer for.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Rick, irs hard to give RR credit. RR shouldn’t have held on to the DC so long, the Overall recruiting has been miserable for years, outside of Tate no QB Recruit has worked out for RR, and he still choose Dawkins over Tate. Also, The South Carolina Job was his second attempt at leaving in two years, and (from our understanding) his wife said no, not that he wanted to be at Arizona for life.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

The hate for RR has been seen in the attendance. Tonight for homecoming, 43k(so a lot of fans have chosen to root for someone else). This after 3 great wins. Rick, as much as you love the cats and support RR, He would be gone in a second if he had a chance in the last two years.

We will take what we can get from him and right now its great. He keeps us at this level and he gets extended but he better find a QB after Tate because we have seen what happens when we get mediocre play at that position
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Rick Kane wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:

Yes you were wrong. 10000% wrong. Anyone who wanted Rich Rod fired either is a fake fan of the University of Arizona or does not understand the history behind Arizona football. We are not a great program, never have been. What Rich Rod is doing this year is literally the impossible.

If you still want Rich Rod fired my advice is find another program to cheer for.
Sorry but no. Fans like you have no sense of reality and what is actually good for the program. You're the worst type of fan that lets a couple great games by 1 great player wildly sway your emotions. Time to step away for a while and come back and look at things objectively.

catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

azcat49 wrote:The hate for RR has been seen in the attendance. Tonight for homecoming, 43k(so a lot of fans have chosen to root for someone else). This after 3 great wins. Rick, as much as you love the cats and support RR, He would be gone in a second if he had a chance in the last two years.

We will take what we can get from him and right now its great. He keeps us at this level and he gets extended but he better find a QB after Tate because we have seen what happens when we get mediocre play at that position
You gotta say though, J, that Braxton Burmeister must be kicking himself right about now.
Rick Kane

Post by Rick Kane »

Matt Scott didnt work out?
Pat White didnt work out?
Denard Robinson didnt work out?
BJ Denker didnt work out (That guy was the worst QB prospect I have ever seen and Rich and Rod turned him into a serviceable QB)

Other coaches at Arizona have recruited really well?
Rich Rod was stupid for recruiting Tate as a QB when all the big programs wouldn't?
Rich Rod was stupid for not playing Tate against Houston?

Basically the mistake Rich Rod made was starting Dawkins against Colorado when Tate was healthy again. Rich Rod had showed against Houston he was not afraid to put Tate in.

Arizona is not a good job at all and Rita did not say no. I know a couple parents with kids on the team and thats not what they think at all or have been told.

The parents I know love Rich Rod and his staff and are fired up. The team did feel like Tate was better then Dawkins going into the year because Tate was more of a gamer, however Dawkins works hard and is a no BS guy.

Things have worked out well for us which again usually never happens. Yet some still want to complain.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Yep G and I can't wait to go up to Oregon and kick the living shit out of him and all those other turncoats. Hope they will like us playing for a championship
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

ASUHATER! wrote:

Hatter, did Tate get all the ints tonight?

Like I said a few weeks ago, go cuddle with Chef jag off.
prh

Post by prh »

It's like cordera fixed his written english and got a new name
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

azcat49 wrote:The hate for RR has been seen in the attendance. Tonight for homecoming, 43k(so a lot of fans have chosen to root for someone else). This after 3 great wins. Rick, as much as you love the cats and support RR, He would be gone in a second if he had a chance in the last two years.

Good point about the attendance. 3 game win streak with Tate going wild and homecoming and there was 13000 empty seats tonight. 5000 less sold seats then there was for UCLA 2 weeks ago. Has to be one of the least attended homecomings in years and years. Under Stoops they were almost always sellouts.

Rick Kane

Post by Rick Kane »

Of course he would be gone, look at the Attendance. We are not a football school. We are a very difficult job. All of us would leave this job in a heart beat for a job like South Carolina.

Our fan support is pathetic especially the student section but that is pretty typical of whats going on in college football across the country except at the big time programs.

When any program gets medicore play at QB not named Alabama, they usually struggle. This is college football.

Just enjoy the ride

I do not think Rich Rod is the greatest coach ever, but it looks really f*cking stupid in hindsight for Arizona fans to have said he should have been fired after his first losing season.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

wyo-cat wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:

No thank you. That same defense that got ints did give up 37 points and 600 yards so...

Rick Kane

Post by Rick Kane »

prh wrote:It's like cordera fixed his written english and got a new name
I remember reading posts by the Cordera person thinking he could not write english at all...but he was 1000% right.

How sad is that for so many here
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

ASUHATER! wrote:

Good point about the attendance. 3 game win streak with Tate going wild and homecoming and there was 13000 empty seats tonight. 5000 less sold seats then there was for UCLA 2 weeks ago. Has to be one of the least attended homecomings in years and years. Under Stoops they were almost always sellouts.
The metric changes again. Please stop acting like an Arizona fan and fuck off.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Matt Scott wasn't a Rodriguez recruit.

Rick, nobody's disputing the results. What everybody needs to be sold on is the recruiting and player development.

These are the areas that have, to put it politely, not been kind to RichRod in his tenure here.

Tate is boosting the level of every single player around him, and that's great. Now the overall recruiting needs to step up, because just grabbing some OKGs and praying Tate won't get hurt isn't going to be enough for things to "work out" this time.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

ASUHATER! wrote:
wyo-cat wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:

No thank you. That same defense that got ints did give up 37 points and 600 yards so...
Just so you know, Hatter, it's the scoreboard that counts. Not yards given up.

Are you seriously ripping the D?

Go somewhere else and be a fan of them.
prh

Post by prh »

catgrad97 wrote:Matt Scott wasn't a Rodriguez recruit.

Rick, nobody's disputing the results. What everybody needs to be sold on is the recruiting and player development.

These are the areas that have, to put it politely, not been kind to RichRod in his tenure here.

Tate is boosting the level of every single player around him, and that's great. Now the overall recruiting needs to step up, because just grabbing some OKGs and praying Tate won't get hurt isn't going to be enough for things to "work out" this time.
Quick flashback-- how did we feel going into 2015? Replace Tate with Anu and you just said it. Look how that turned out.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

How did Matt Scott do before RR? Oh, that's right he got beat out by Foles.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Rick Kane wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:

Machina sock alert
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Rick Kane wrote:
I remember reading posts by the Cordera person thinking he could not write english at all...but he was 1000% right.

Yep cordera
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

scumdevils86 wrote:
Rick Kane wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:

Machina sock alert
That's your defense of your *sshat brother?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Agreed on your points above Rick and keep posting. Don't let us get you down. RR will be retained and we are riding the wave and its great. Still mistakes were made and even RR said that.

If he had not found lightning in a bottle with Tate he might not have made it but he did. Good for us and good for him. You like him and don't feel jilted while many others don't like him and dont trust him. It is what it is.

One thing, you said we are not a great football program and I agree. But we are a program that gives great loyalty and patience to its coaches. Unfortunately RR didn't hive us the same in return
Last edited by azcat49 on Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rick Kane

Post by Rick Kane »

I know he was not a Rich Rod recruit. He was a guy who was not very good under Stoops, and Rich Rod turned him into a pretty good QB

How can people not be sold on recruiting or player development right now?

Did you watch Tate last year and see him this year. I would say he has developed. What about a guy like Nunley or JJ Taylor or Shun Brown or Wolma or Alsadek or Eldridge or Zach Green or Colin Schooler or Tony Fields or Tony Ellison or JJ Whitiker or Kylan Wilborn (This is a very long list)

Basically our entire team comes back next year (and the year after that).
Rick Kane

Post by Rick Kane »

scumdevils86 wrote:
Rick Kane wrote:

Yep cordera
First off, how about you actually come up with something smart to say. I have seen you bash Rich Rod throughout this thread and how stupid do you look now.

Literally Rich Rod is going to be named PAC 12 coach of the year. I would think if voting was this week he would get 100% of the votes for it.

We just won 4 conference games in a row for the first time since 1998

Yet, Rich Rod still sucks right.....WRONG
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

RR is a lock for P12 COY and in the running for national.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

prh wrote:

Quick flashback-- how did we feel going into 2015? Replace Tate with Anu and you just said it. Look how that turned out.
Exactly the opposite of expectations, yes. And I've been out on an island indifferent to Arizona football since the UCLA loss that season, in which I've never seen the program look worse, in every aspect, in my 35 years of fandom.

Khalil Tate has slowly warmed me back up, but for this program to avoid cratering again like it did last season, he's going to need help. And a lot of it.

And RichRod needs to start showing he can hold a winning record over ASU. And start beating the LA schools. More than once.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Rick Kane wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:
Rick Kane wrote:

Yep cordera
First off, how about you actually come up with something smart to say. I have seen you bash Rich Rod throughout this thread and how stupid do you look now.

Literally Rich Rod is going to be named PAC 12 coach of the year. I would think if voting was this week he would get 100% of the votes for it.

We just won 4 conference games in a row for the first time since 1998

Yet, Rich Rod still sucks right.....WRONG
I'll need to reread and translate this later
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

If you would have asked anyone here before the season started if Rich Rod had this team bowl eligible by the end of October and was going to play in a huge game vs USC the 1st weekend of November... how would you view him?

Most would have just laughed and said if he does that with this garbage team, sign him to 5 year extension
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

scumdevils86 wrote:

Double amen
Was Tate really hurt for Houston and Utah? That is the only reason I can fathom not playing him other than RR's stubbornness.

And don't start making plans for RR retirement into Tucsons version of the villages, you all know he's gone the minute the next lateral move ponies up more money. This year is all about rehabbing his rep for the final years of his coaching career.

That being said when he bolts the cats will be in a very good place with all the youth and talent around.

This special season is all Tate.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

catgrad97 wrote:
prh wrote:

Exactly the opposite of expectations, yes. And I've been out on an island indifferent to Arizona football since the UCLA loss that season, in which I've never seen the program look worse, in every aspect, in my 35 years of fandom.

Khalil Tate has slowly warmed me back up, but for this program to avoid cratering again like it did last season, he's going to need help. And a lot of it.

And RichRod needs to start showing he can hold a winning record over ASU. And start beating the LA schools. More than once.
Triple amen
Rick Kane

Post by Rick Kane »

azcat49 wrote:Agreed on your points above Rick and keep posting. Don't let us get you down. RR will be retained and we are riding the wave and its great. Still mistakes were made and even RR said that.

If he had not found lightning in a bottle with Tate he might not have made it but he did. Good for us and good for him. You like him and don't feel jilted while many others don't like him and dont trust him. It is what it is.

One thing, you said we are not a great football program and I agree. But we are a program that gives great loyalty and patience to its coaches. Unfortunately RR didn't hive us the same in return
Neither did Sean Miller and you do not see people continuing to bring that up

From the parents I talk to, people would be very surprised to see Rich Rod leave anytime soon especially after we got improved for the Indoor facility which is badly needed and a potential game changer for us. One thing which could hinder that is the still poor fan support. Because that leads to a lack of income into the program which affects his assistant salaries.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

CalStateTempe wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:

Double amen
Was Tate really hurt for Houston and Utah? That is the only reason I can fathom not playing him other than RR's stubbornness.

And don't start making plans for RR retirement into Tucsons version of the villages, you all know he's gone the minute the next lateral move ponies up more money. This year is all about rehabbing his rep for the final years of his coaching career.

That being said when he bolts the cats will be in a very good place with all the youth and talent around.

This special season is all Tate.
Dunno why the slack jawed homers don't get this
Rick Kane

Post by Rick Kane »

Alieberman wrote:If you would have asked anyone here before the season started if Rich Rod had this team bowl eligible by the end of October and was going to play in a huge game vs USC the 1st weekend of November... how would you view him?

Most would have just laughed and said if he does that with this garbage team, sign him to 5 year extension
Exactly!
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

I'd like to see more sustained success, but it is difficult even for traditional powerhouses. Arizona has never been a destination for four and five star recruits, but RR has done well developing diamond in the rough types. I give him a lot of credit for that. I was never on the fire RR bandwagon because we won't be able to hire anyone better. You think a younger unknown guy would be able to recruit better, win more games, and fill the stadium? Sounds delusional if you understand CFB and this program's history.