Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

gumby

Re: Net Neutrality

Post by gumby »

Salty wrote:
gumby wrote:
Salty wrote:
gumby wrote:
Salty wrote: But most of the Internet infrastructure in this country was built before the dot com bubble burst. At that time, the United States was unquestionably the global leader in Internet speeds and access.
And Spain once had the most powerful navy.
Are you suggesting that the United States will lose its place as the only unquestioned superpower in the world because of... Internet speeds?

Yikes.
No.
Right where I want to be.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Salty wrote:
gumby wrote:
Salty wrote:
gumby wrote:
Salty wrote: But most of the Internet infrastructure in this country was built before the dot com bubble burst. At that time, the United States was unquestionably the global leader in Internet speeds and access.
And Spain once had the most powerful navy.
Are you suggesting that the United States will lose its place as the only unquestioned superpower in the world because of... Internet speeds?

Yikes.
No. That if you start out in the lead, you have to do things to stay there.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
84Cat wrote: Gives Google time to make Google fiber a reality for everyone and then big cable is screwed anyway.
They're way too slow to be of much impact. They're not even hitting phoenix like was originally rumored. For them to get to most major cities would take decades.
We might not need Google, by 2020 we will have 5g phones which will have download speeds of 10 gb.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Verizon FiOS is also not coming into your neighborhood: http://arstechnica.com/business/2015/01 ... os-builds/
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Say goodbye to net neutrality. Hello to restricted censored Internet that costs far more than it does now.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
gumby

Post by gumby »

It's gonna beautiful. One big, beautiful internet. And we're gonna get you suckers to pay for it.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

http://www.gofccyourself.com" target="_blank

Direct link to express with a filing with the FCC about how important it is to preserve net neutrality under Title II of the Communications Act of 1934. Courtesy of John Oliver. Just select the option "express" at the link above.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Time for the internet as we've known it for 25 years to go away. FCC plans to vote to overturn net neutrality rules in December per sources. They've got the votes to do it.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... SKBN1DG00H" target="_blank

PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

such fucking bull shit
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Say hello to paying 25 bucks a month (on top of your subscription to the actual service cost) to get access to the "streaming pack" on your internet service so you can actually use Netflix/hulu/Amazon/ps Vue/sling etc. Without it they'll throttle those services to crappy DSL speeds. And it'll probably be on top of whatever your full internet package probably costs. I wouldn't be surprised if free public WiFi dies since businesses can't afford it any more and that just basic 50 mbps internet in your home almost doubled in cost.

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Oh and if your internet provider doesn't work out a plan with the streaming service (like the DirecTV/PAC 12 feud) you could not even be able to access sling or Hulu on your home network

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/21/tech ... ality.html" target="_blank

F.C.C. Announces Plan to Repeal Net Neutrality

If you don't want to pay double for your internet, it's time for every person in America to call/email your congressperson and the FCC.

scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

And it is done. Repealed by a vote of 3-2. The internet as we know it will soon be dead.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Can't wait to pay the extra $44.99 a month in top of my $93 a month internet bill to have my streaming website package

pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

Republican voters are so dumb. Make everyone’s life worse, including their own, because they are scared of some boogeymen on Fox News. This is fucked. Nobody, and I mean nobody, likes cable companies or wants them to have more power. Everyone needs to call and write their reps and senators asking to undo the FCC vote.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

What we need is boycotts and million person marches and sit ins in every Republicans office by hundreds of people to even start to get the point across to them

PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

I dont see any benefit in this decision but all the reports/articles I am reading say that most likely nothing different will be noticed by anyone. I know things could potentially happen that would totally suck but it sounds like this is not a huge deal. If a ISP provided all content for a decent price, everyone will move to that ISP. It would be risky for ISP to do things if there are other providers.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

Of course nothing drastic is going to happen immediately but that’s a pretty naive takeaway. Exactly what that corrupt idiot FCC chairman wants people to think. Everyone likes the internet as is - why change it?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

PHXCATS wrote:I dont see any benefit in this decision but all the reports/articles I am reading say that most likely nothing different will be noticed by anyone. I know things could potentially happen that would totally suck but it sounds like this is not a huge deal. If a ISP provided all content for a decent price, everyone will move to that ISP. It would be risky for ISP to do things if there are other providers.
What you are saying is that you trust all these telecommunications companies to treat us all fairly. Am I understanding you correctly? Because that could be the most naive comment I have ever heard
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

pokinmik wrote:Of course nothing drastic is going to happen immediately but that’s a pretty naive takeaway. Exactly what that corrupt idiot FCC chairman wants people to think. Everyone likes the internet as is - why change it?
I agree no need to change. But the outcry that will come if ISPs start blocking or slowing certain sites will be heard loud by the public through their voices, wallets and available social media.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Alieberman wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:I dont see any benefit in this decision but all the reports/articles I am reading say that most likely nothing different will be noticed by anyone. I know things could potentially happen that would totally suck but it sounds like this is not a huge deal. If a ISP provided all content for a decent price, everyone will move to that ISP. It would be risky for ISP to do things if there are other providers.
What you are saying is that you trust all these telecommunications companies to treat us all fairly. Am I understanding you correctly? Because that could be the most naive comment I have ever heard
I expect there to be a lot of fall out financially if the telecommunication companies to do not treat people fairly.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

PHXCATS wrote:
Alieberman wrote:
I expect there to be a lot of fall out financially if the telecommunication companies to do not treat people fairly.
Nobody wants this other than these companies.... why do you think they pushed for this?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

babe in the woods :lol:
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Alieberman wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
Alieberman wrote:
Nobody wants this other than these companies.... why do you think they pushed for this?
Do you not think people will change their ISP if their ISP is slowing things down or blocking certain sites?

I agree it isn't good, but I don't think it will be the end of the world or information as we know it
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

I don't think machina realizes that a shit ton of people in this country have 1 option for a cable internet provider.. they can't just move to the provider with the best price when only 1 company serves where they live.

scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

most people have access to one or maybe 2 providers. it isn't like chain restaurants. if you don't like what they are serving you can't just go down the road.

it is more akin to the MVD. if you want a license or a car you have to put up with their bullshit or go without. but again some posters are incredibly simple and naive.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I have Comcast/Xfinity cable internet at 100mbps now, and my only alternative is telephone DSL, which I think is 7mbps at best, probably closer to 3.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Merkin wrote:I have Comcast/Xfinity cable internet at 100mbps now, and my only alternative is telephone DSL, which I think is 7mbps at best, probably closer to 3.
I am in the same boat and the wife works from home. There is no choice.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

I can get Century Link and their price seems reasonable. I can get speeds of 100 mbps download. No contracts If you were to promise in writing that they would keep net neutrality I would change in an instant away from Cox Communications.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

ASUHATER! wrote:I don't think machina realizes that a shit ton of people in this country have 1 option for a cable internet provider.. they can't just move to the provider with the best price when only 1 company serves where they live.
Or even neighborhoods in large cities.

Att Comcast and direct tv wanted to tear the shit out my front yard and blow through a concrete walkway just get access to the neighborhood cable box.

So we went with dish.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

My choices are Cox or Century Link. I have Cox and would love to change but I don't trust Century Link. Wish we had true free markets but we don't.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Yea my choice is only cox or CenturyLink
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Misspelled Net Neutrality.
His dad appointed the FCC Chairman.

Other than that, top notch work. Which Trump kid is the dumb one again?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Trumpsters fuck themselves over again but love paying to see liberal tears.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

PHXCATS wrote:
Alieberman wrote:
One of the entire points about this is the possibility of ISP's utilizing decreased choice to eliminate options. There's no financial fallout without choice.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

C'mon Moonbeam! Make it happen here.

Hilarious!!!
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Sweet merkin, Oregon and washington and ny nj should follow suit and then the big companies have to play by our rules to get into the market.

It's the same with osha and consumer protection laws. Ca has higher standards which the companies have to meet to play ball which is good for the rest of the nation.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

We are heading toward a break up
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Fucking Arizona sides with the corporations over consumers, no surprise there.

Last edited by Merkin on Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

That s pretty bipartisan list.

All those state should keep the regulations in place
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Merkin wrote:Fucking Arizona sides with the corporations over consumers, no surprise there.

1) What are corporations to you?
2) The market (stocks to date) and articles are all saying this isnt a big deal. I am glad Arizona is not wasting money and time at this point. If things change I hope Arizona gets involved but right now I am glad they are not.
TheBlackLodge

Post by TheBlackLodge »

Jesus Machina you're like a turd in the punch bowl, but the turd doesn't have a clue how anything works ever.
Last edited by TheBlackLodge on Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly McLurvin
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

For Machina:
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

The stock market is not the canary in the coal mine and it’s time conservatives stopped treating it as such.

I understand that “up vs. down” is a concept just simple enough for them to grasp, but just because the Dow doesn’t lose 20% in a day doesn’t mean these decisions don’t have terrible consequences.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

the derp is strong at Arcadia Tavern.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Yeah how did we survive before 6/12/15 without net neutrality? Since everything is going to change so much.

I wish the FCC did not repeal it but I am confident things will not change dramatically if at all, and I am sure the Democrats will put it back in place in 2021.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

PHXCATS wrote:Yeah how did we survive before 6/12/15 without net neutrality? Since everything is going to change so much.
Well, its basically common sense. But Fox News would lead you to believe Net Neutrality is too complicated to understand, and they simply want to "de-regulaize" it.

From Reddit and the article below, here are examples of what did/will happen:

MADISON RIVER: In 2005, North Carolina ISP Madison River Communications blocked the voice-over-internet protocol (VOIP) service Vonage. Vonage filed a complaint with the FCC after receiving a slew of customer complaints. The FCC stepped in to sanction Madison River and prevent further blocking, but it lacks the authority to stop this kind of abuse today.

COMCAST: In 2005, the nation’s largest ISP, Comcast, began secretly blocking peer-to-peer technologies that its customers were using over its network. Users of services like BitTorrent and Gnutella were unable to connect to these services. 2007 investigations from the Associated Press, the Electronic Frontier Foundation and others confirmed that Comcast was indeed blocking or slowing file-sharing applications without disclosing this fact to its customers.

TELUS: In 2005, Canada’s second-largest telecommunications company, Telus, began blocking access to a server that hosted a website supporting a labor strike against the company. Researchers at Harvard and the University of Toronto found that this action resulted in Telus blocking an additional 766 unrelated sites.

AT&T: From 2007–2009, AT&T forced Apple to block Skype and other competing VOIP phone services on the iPhone. The wireless provider wanted to prevent iPhone users from using any application that would allow them to make calls on such “over-the-top” voice services. The Google Voice app received similar treatment from carriers like AT&T when it came on the scene in 2009.

WINDSTREAM: In 2010, Windstream Communications, a DSL provider with more than 1 million customers at the time, copped to hijacking user-search queries made using the Google toolbar within Firefox. Users who believed they had set the browser to the search engine of their choice were redirected to Windstream’s own search portal and results.

MetroPCS: In 2011, MetroPCS, at the time one of the top-five U.S. wireless carriers, announced plans to block streaming video over its 4G network from all sources except YouTube. MetroPCS then threw its weight behind Verizon’s court challenge against the FCC’s 2010 open internet ruling, hoping that rejection of the agency’s authority would allow the company to continue its anti-consumer practices.

PAXFIRE: In 2011, the Electronic Frontier Foundation found that several small ISPs were redirecting search queries via the vendor Paxfire. The ISPs identified in the initial Electronic Frontier Foundation report included Cavalier, Cogent, Frontier, Fuse, DirecPC, RCN and Wide Open West. Paxfire would intercept a person’s search request at Bing and Yahoo and redirect it to another page. By skipping over the search service’s results, the participating ISPs would collect referral fees for delivering users to select websites.

AT&T, SPRINT and VERIZON: From 2011–2013, AT&T, Sprint and Verizon blocked Google Wallet, a mobile-payment system that competed with a similar service called Isis, which all three companies had a stake in developing.

EUROPE: A 2012 report from the Body of European Regulators for Electronic Communications found that violations of Net Neutrality affected at least one in five users in Europe. The report found that blocked or slowed connections to services like VOIP, peer-to-peer technologies, gaming applications and email were commonplace.

VERIZON: In 2012, the FCC caught Verizon Wireless blocking people from using tethering applications on their phones. Verizon had asked Google to remove 11 free tethering applications from the Android marketplace. These applications allowed users to circumvent Verizon’s $20 tethering fee and turn their smartphones into Wi-Fi hot spots. By blocking those applications, Verizon violated a Net Neutrality pledge it made to the FCC as a condition of the 2008 airwaves auction.

AT&T: In 2012, AT&T announced that it would disable the FaceTime video-calling app on its customers’ iPhones unless they subscribed to a more expensive text-and-voice plan. AT&T had one goal in mind: separating customers from more of their money by blocking alternatives to AT&T’s own products.

VERIZON: During oral arguments in Verizon v. FCC in 2013, judges asked whether the phone giant would favor some preferred services, content or sites over others if the court overruled the agency’s existing open internet rules. Verizon counsel Helgi Walker had this to say: “I’m authorized to state from my client today that but for these rules we would be exploring those types of arrangements.” Walker’s admission might have gone unnoticed had she not repeated it on at least five separate occasions during arguments.

Source has links to each case where you can read the legal documents about it: https://www.freepress.net/blog/2017/04/ ... ef-history
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

ahh reading and critical thought, a lost skill...
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Up to 2 million comments were faked.

You can lookup your name here. Found my sister in law, who has her old street address listed, and completely wrong city. Doing a search on my somewhat rare last name, found a punch of duplicate comments, and others with escape characters like a script would write.

https://ag.ny.gov/fakecomments" target="_blank