UCLA Basketball in trouble!

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

84Cat

Re: UCLA Basketball in trouble!

Post by 84Cat »

How often is Holiday double or triple teamed?
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

PHXCATS wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:What is the criteria that this being based on?
Stats and eye test of who the clear three best players are this year.
Eye test? You would have to be blind to think Holiday is the better player. Holiday doesn't have better stats either.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

PHXCATS wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:Take a guess at who Jon Wilner has pegged for conference POY...

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/02/21/ ... las-vegas/" target="_blank

Everyone is out to get UA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You continue to be terrible at this.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

DrWildcat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
Eye test? You would have to be blind to think Holiday is the better player. Holiday doesn't have better stats either.
There is no world in which Holiday beats Ayton in eye test or stats. Ayton is beating out Holiday in stats despite having to share with a very strong option in Trier.

The only way Holiday is POY is if you feel compelled to give it to a non-Wildcat. I could see him winning that battle.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

DrWildcat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
I dont think that. I think Holiday is a top 3 player in the league for sure but not better than Ayton.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

PHXCATS wrote:
DrWildcat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
I dont think that. I think Holiday is a top 3 player in the league for sure but not better than Ayton.
So it would be a crime if Holiday won POTY then? If you don't think so then you are ok with the best player in the league not winning the award. That doesn't make sense.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

I think the way Ayton is going he's in the running for the damn Wooden.

With all the press and notoriety he has received it would be a shock to everyone if he didn't receive Pac12 POY.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

DrWildcat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
DrWildcat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
So it would be a crime if Holiday won POTY then? If you don't think so then you are ok with the best player in the league not winning the award. That doesn't make sense.
I have him on ignore, and it's basically for this. Ayton is for sure better than Holiday, but he's ok with Holiday getting POY.

It's like saying yeah, 3 is more than 2, but I'm ok if you say they're the same number because it's close.

One is quantifiably better.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

DrWildcat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
DrWildcat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
I would not think it is a huge crime but I would certainly disagree with it.

Ayton is not just the best player in the PAC-12 but probably best in the NCAA
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
cats101

Post by cats101 »

Ayton is currently on the front page of ESPN and being discussed as national player of the year. No one is talking or cares about Holiday. Of course it would be a crime at this point if he didn't win POY in his own conference.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Pac 12 coaches once picked the Butkus award winner and an all American as second team all Pac 12.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Still play bad defense
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Alford on the road in Pac-12 play:

2013-14: 5-4
2014-15: 2-7
2015-16: 2-7
2016-17: 7-2
2017-18: 2-5
TOTAL: 18-25

Note that without Lonzo, Alford is just 11-23 on the road. Alford has also lost 20 of his last 26 conference road games without Lonzo.

And for road sweeps, Alford has now completed FOUR full seasons of his five without a single road sweep (0 for 16), with his only three road sweeps accomplished with Lonzo last season.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

MrBug708 wrote:Alford on the road in Pac-12 play:

Note that without Lonzo, Alford is just 11-23 on the road. Alford has also lost 20 of his last 26 conference road games without Lonzo.

And for road sweeps, Alford has now completed FOUR full seasons of his five without a single road sweep (0 for 16), with his only three road sweeps accomplished with Lonzo last season.
To summarize, he's a shitty coach.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

It's amusing watching ASU vs. Oregon. Guys like Kodi Justice & Shannon Evans are posing when they hit a three pointer like they've accomplished something despite their team being down to Oregon.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

MrBug708 wrote:Alford on the road in Pac-12 play:

But he did beat Arizona on the road this year so I’m starting a petition to get him a lifetime contract.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

There is a lot of talk with Etop of Compton Magic about stuff with the FBI. David Grave was going to be fired before he started landing Compton Magic guys.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Alford certainly had the team ready to go this week.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Aaron Holiday scored 21 points on 19 shots. 5 turnovers. Anyone still on the bandwagon for Holiday for POY?
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

zonagrad wrote:Aaron Holiday scored 21 points on 19 shots. 5 turnovers. Anyone still on the bandwagon for Holiday for POY?
Bad weekend for us, for sure. Can't think of too many programs who had a worse weekend.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

zonagrad wrote:Aaron Holiday scored 21 points on 19 shots. 5 turnovers. Anyone still on the bandwagon for Holiday for POY?

Only if Ayton is ruled ineligible.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
prh

Post by prh »

Isn't it a media and coaches vote? I could easily see them avoiding Ayton and Zo for anything
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

prh wrote:Isn't it a media and coaches vote? I could easily see them avoiding Ayton and Zo for anything
Just the media.
prh

Post by prh »

Chicat wrote:
prh wrote:Isn't it a media and coaches vote? I could easily see them avoiding Ayton and Zo for anything
Just the media.
Thanks, although that doesn't make me feel any better about it
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

prh wrote:
Chicat wrote:
Just the media.
Thanks, although that doesn't make me feel any better about it
Actually makes me feel worse.

These are the same morons who voted Joseph Young POY over TJ and left Aaron Gordon off the All-Defense team for reasons that are still unexplainable.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

I wouldn't be surprised if they give poy to holiday and leave ayton and Trier off the all conference teams
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

ASUHATER! wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if they give poy to holiday and leave ayton and Trier off the all conference teams
Holiday is going to look pretty silly accepting an award with media asking him if he's looking forward to playing in the NIT.

And at this point with all this shit going down, it just increases the chip on the shoulder of Ayton and Arizona.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

lol
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

There is a crazy rumor out there that Ethan Happ is going to transfer to UCLA. I find it pretty far fetched, but the fact that it's a rumor is curious
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

We are playing a walk on right now after Hands was scratched
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

MrBug708 wrote:We are playing a walk on right now after Hands was scratched
Sprained ankle
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

4-1 against top three teams in conference. 7-6 against rest. That is usually the result of bad coaching and really good talent. Really good coaches prepare a team to play the same way no matter who they have to play.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

MrBug708 wrote:4-1 against top three teams in conference. 7-6 against rest. That is usually the result of bad coaching and really good talent. Really good coaches prepare a team to play the same way no matter who they have to play.
All of Wildcat Nation is praying for an impressive Pac-12 tourney run for the Bruins that punches their ticket to the Big Dance where they somehow make the Elite 8 and lock in an extension for Alford.

The basketball gods owe us at least that much...
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

A run that lasts one game is good for me
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Chicat wrote:
MrBug708 wrote:4-1 against top three teams in conference. 7-6 against rest. That is usually the result of bad coaching and really good talent. Really good coaches prepare a team to play the same way no matter who they have to play.
All of Wildcat Nation is praying for an impressive Pac-12 tourney run for the Bruins that punches their ticket to the Big Dance where they somehow make the Elite 8 and lock in an extension for Alford.

I think Bug is exactly right. UCLA has the talent to make some noise in the tourney... it will be interesting to see if their bad coaching prevents them from even getting in though.

Big win last night
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Olsondogg wrote:A run that lasts one game is good for me
Yes as the quarters would pit us against the Bruins so that will be extra tough as UCLA may need that game to cement a Tourney bid I would think.

Beating SC last night on the road might have moved them back in to First Four in but nothing is a lock.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Chicat wrote:

An Elite 8? Phsst
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Aaron Holiday has to be my favorite player over the past decade, since probably DC. I dont think I've seen a better conditioned player in college basketball, ever. So I'd be willing to guess he has his second foul in the first two minutes of the game and we roll out our walkon guard for about 10 minutes
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

now now, that will be happening to Ayton or Trier tomorrow, not any of Larry's darlings.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

What a high level and quality basketball game. I hope this type of game ends up benefiting both teams.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Did anyone see how hard Alford had them playing? He definitely deserves a long extension.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

The best game I've ever seen Welsh play. And he always seems to play well against us
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Chicat wrote:Did anyone see how hard Alford had them playing? He definitely deserves a long extension.
The fact that he can't get them doing that for a quarter of the year, is a travesty
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

MrBug708 wrote:
Chicat wrote:Did anyone see how hard Alford had them playing? He definitely deserves a long extension.
The fact that he can't get them doing that for a quarter of the year, is a travesty
UCLA just needs to schedule Arizona for every game and then the problem is solved.

Bruins can make the Sweet 16 if Alford doesn't screw it up. The rest of the country is gonna learn how good Holiday is.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

Wow, UCLA is really good and that game should have been for the ship! How on earth did they end up a 4 seed???
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:Wow, UCLA is really good and that game should have been for the ship! How on earth did they end up a 4 seed???
They have a coach named Steve Alford.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

zonagrad wrote:
Bangkok Wildcat wrote:Wow, UCLA is really good and that game should have been for the ship! How on earth did they end up a 4 seed???
They have a coach named Steve Alford.
Really talented team that exploits its strengths only against Arizona and Kentucky. That way, Arizona’s losses to them get amplified, and the value of beating the Bruins gets diminished. I think UCLA takes satisfaction in that.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Talent gets up for good teams, usually. Carelessness vs teams like Stanford, Colorado, Oregon State.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

MrBug708 wrote:Talent gets up for good teams, usually. Carelessness vs teams like Stanford, Colorado, Oregon State.
Yes, and that’s common among teams, Arizona included. It’s just that it’s worse with Alford-coached teams.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

I don't think so, I can distinctly remember scoring 9 points in a half vs a good Kentucky team. I think it is a trait with bad coaches on good teams. Lavin wasn't a stranger to it, more so than Alford