Credit checks and travel awards cards

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

waysouthcat

Credit checks and travel awards cards

Post by waysouthcat »

I was recently searching for a good travel awards credit card, and I was anyway needing to pick up a US credit card for various purchases. I have been out of country for over 11 years now, so I am not even sure what my credit score might be. I need some help from knowledgeable folks about:

1. Best way to check my credit score for free, and ways to improve it of needed.
2. Any personal insight into travel awards cards. Note that we travel a lot, family of three, averaging maybe $30k per year in travel expenses.

I have a Bank of America checking account since forever that gets minimal usage.

Thoughts appreciated!
RichardCranium

Re: Credit checks and travel awards cards

Post by RichardCranium »

My first thought is an Airlines Frequent Flyer card with a 'travel cash' Visa or Mastercard association to get you started. The model I have in my mind is the Qantas Cash card.

This is a prepaid debit card, not a credit card, of course, and I don't know what frequent flyer memberships you have or what 'perks' they may have.

I have absolutely no idea whether it would actually do you any good in reestablishing your USA credit history either. Its just a thought.

I've kinda thought of that problem too. I've been gone 35 years, what if I decide to go back some day? Hmmmmm.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Credit Sesame and Credit Karma are both free and seem real good.

You also get a free annual credit report from the major agencies.

Last time I was at the dentist, he was talking about the Hawaiian airlines credit card. He said the annual rate is less than $100, so he has 2, one personal, and one for his business, since with Hawaiian you get a free ticket each year.

Which works out real well if you go to Hawaii a lot.

But I imagine other airline cards are similar.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

The only source you will ever need.

https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/

Might want to read this first to help out:

https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/wiki/index
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
waysouthcat

Post by waysouthcat »

Thanks all for the suggestions. Good info on the reddit link, but don't really want to go with the churning games. I'm really just looking for a good solid rewards card to get once and keep.

Having said that, after some research it seems like most travel pundits recommend Amex Platinum and the Chase Sapphire preferred or reserve cards for purely travel reward stuff. If anybody uses one of these, I'd be happy to hear your experiences.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

I've been happy with my Amex Hilton Hhonors card.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
prh

Post by prh »

Couple things--
Don't carry a balance on travel/rewards cards, they always have much higher interest rates.

Some of the airline/hotel cards only make sense if you frequently use that company (i.e. Delta Amex cards). Some have yearly benefits (i.e. Hawaiian/Alaska companion flights, Hilton free nights) which can still be useful.

Otherwise, there are some generic rewards cards that are well suited for travelers. You could look into the new Chase Sapphire Reserve card, it's one of them.