2018-2019 Arizona Basketball

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

goslingswagg

Re: 2018-2019 Arizona Basketball

Post by goslingswagg »

Longhorned wrote:If Arizona doesn't win the conference tourney, I think it's best to fully enjoy March Madness like the vast majority of America -- without all that investment of worrying about my team meeting my hopes for a deep run. And really savor it, because it's probably my last chance to have this experience in a long time.
preach....the March Madness pregame jitters will be back next year when we're the 2 seed in the West, as it seems like we have been a lot these past 10 years with Miller.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I’m going to be making my bracket picks this year based on mascots matchups.

I’m so excited to act like a normal American for once
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
RiseAndFire wrote:
azgreg wrote:First time in 36 years we didn't get a player on the PAC-12 all conference team.
Another record low

The reality is most of Millers players who won awards started out as 5-stars and would have made it if a labrador was their head coach.
Hey, let's leave your wife out of this, we all agreed no personal stuff shared on this forum ok?
We named the dog Indiana.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

My bracket is gonna be based on most wins and fewest losses.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

that abortion of a season is now over - thank you, Jesus
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

If Jesus was responsible for this, then I'm not thanking him.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Olsondogg wrote:If Jesus was responsible for this, then I'm not thanking him.
and if hes in anyway responsible for it being over? will you then give thanks?
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

97cats wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:If Jesus was responsible for this, then I'm not thanking him.
and if hes in anyway responsible for it being over? will you then give thanks?
I'm never happy when a season is over...
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
97cats

Post by 97cats »

well said, however this time im saying thx
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

97cats wrote:well said, however this time im saying thx

I getcha. I'm just being a dick.

I'm glad that I won't (hopefully) have to read the same shit over and over again.

"Wait....what did Miller say? What did ESPN report? 97, your thoughts?"

(no offense)
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

At least I am saving money on putting my SlingTV on pause until football season! I am thankful for that.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Olsondogg wrote:
I getcha. I'm just being a dick.

I'm glad that I won't (hopefully) have to read the same shit over and over again.

"Wait....what did Miller say? What did ESPN report? 97, your thoughts?"

(no offense)
none taken ...thats pretty damn funny

:lol:
Last edited by 97cats on Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

All I want is to move forward with retaining Miller, a recruiting class and start shifting to focus to on court instead of off court issues.

I could have taken the shakiness on court. The off court stuff was exhausting.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Season over.

Muerto.

Bury it in the desert in an unmarked grave.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:All I want is to move forward with retaining Miller, a recruiting class and start shifting to focus to on court instead of off court issues.

Had this convo with friends over this year and last. BBall was much more entertaining when it was about BBall. No board, no social media, no in game stats/comments. Just watched the fucking game and hoped to win.

I'm exhausted with the overanalyziation and the constant barrage of news/rumor/opinion. Thus, I didn't spend much time on here this year but alas I'm fucking addicted to Twitter.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Olsondogg wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:All I want is to move forward with retaining Miller, a recruiting class and start shifting to focus to on court instead of off court issues.

Had this convo with friends over this year and last. BBall was much more entertaining when it was about BBall. No board, no social media, no in game stats/comments. Just watched the fucking game and hoped to win.

I'm exhausted with the overanalyziation and the constant barrage of news/rumor/opinion. Thus, I didn't spend much time on here this year but alas I'm fucking addicted to Twitter.
When it's about basketball, I love it. That's my most sincere hope, that next year brings as exclusively basketball as possible.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Mercy
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

Wah waah waaaahhhhhhh. Abortion is right.

Hadn't watched a full game since January. Didn't watch a minute today. My fandom needs a kick in the nuts..Nico, please kick my fandom in the nuts - thanks in advance.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Hate to admit it, but when Akot left--everything changed.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Olsondogg wrote:Hate to admit it, but when Akot left--everything changed.
You mean when Akot QUIT on his team...everything changed
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Truth.

Hard to preach "All-in" after that...
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

That plus the Jeter/BWill issues right after death spiraled us. We needed a lot of things to go right with this group of players and a lot didn't.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Well, thanks to the team for their fight and their effort. The losses this year never gave me disturbing dreams or the kind of torment of years past. We were just like an injured Terrier trying to keep up with a Border Collie on an obstacle course. Once Akot bailed and we got banged up we had a negative margin of error. With 2 and a half ding dongs on the court most of the time the outcome of any pass, dribble, fast break, shot, was worse than a coin toss.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

.764 with Akot .266 without per https://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildca ... d=201408#6" target="_blank
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Akot may not have looked good statistically, but he was probably our most valuable reserve.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

It's a team sport, and he obviously had an effect. We don't know the details and we should give the kid the benefit of the doubt, but in the meantime Fuck You Akot, Fuck You You Fucking Fuck.

I'm gonna order an Akot voodoo doll from http://www.fuckyouvoodoodoll.com" target="_blank and with the Schlabach doll, shit on them both and feed them to my neighbor's dog.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

One of several reasons things went south, but I would agree that his departure had a bigger impact than most think.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I'm with all of you on this. Just relieved it's over.

We knew it was going to be bad. And it could have been worse.

Time to enjoy the tourney with no skin in the game.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

I’m just praying we’ve seen the last pass bounced off a teammate’s face or doinked off their hands or just straight up thrown out of bounds. This is the least fundamentally sound group of players since Shakur stepped out of bounds every time he was within three feet of a sideline in possession of the ball. I’ve taken a more fundamentally sound dump after a night out drinking and wolfing down Taco Bell on the way home.
Last edited by ByJoveByJingle on Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:I’m just praying we’ve seen the last pass bounced off a teammate’s face or doinked off their hands or just straight up thrown out of bounds. This is the least fundamentally sound group of players since Shakur stepped out of bounds every time he was within three feet of a sideline in possession of the ball. I’ve take a more fundamentally sound dump after a night out drinking and wolfing down Taco Bell on the way home.
Just take that dump in the Taco Bell before going home:

I have it on good authority that "mahalo" means "shitter" in Taco Bell Hawaiian.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Looks like somebody already wiped up on the ‘h’. Hmmm . . . if mahalo means shitter, I wonder what wiki wiki means? I think I was doing it wrong the whole time I lived there!
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:I’m just praying we’ve seen the last pass bounced off a teammate’s face or doinked off their hands or just straight up thrown out of bounds. This is the least fundamentally sound group of players since Shakur stepped out of bounds every time he was within three feet of a sideline in possession of the ball. I’ve taken a more fundamentally sound dump after a night out drinking and wolfing down Taco Bell on the way home.
Not the analogy I was expecting but....it works. :lol:
RiseAndFire

Post by RiseAndFire »

azcat49 wrote:
You mean “when Akot got sick of Millers bullcrap, like many previous players”!

Why do players opt to flee Tucson the first chance they get, transferring or going pro too early?
Akot, Simon, Comanche, Jarrett, Simmons. Could it be they dislike playing for a coach that never takes responsibility for failure and without fail blames “effort”?
RawleArenas

Post by RawleArenas »

Or maybe he's an old school coach dealing with new school, immature goofballs?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

RiseAndFire wrote:
azcat49 wrote:

Why do players opt to flee Tucson the first chance they get, transferring or going pro too early?
Akot, Simon, Comanche, Jarrett, Simmons. Could it be they dislike playing for a coach that never takes responsibility for failure and without fail blames “effort”?
Yea, too bad other schools don't have players transfer out. Especially those with many NCs.

zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

RiseAndFire wrote:
azcat49 wrote:

You're really not very good at this.

Akot listened to some idiot AAU coach over anyone and everyone with a mediocre basketball IQ.

Try listening to the quotes from Ira Lee, Ryan Luther, and Jeter about playing for Miller. Better yet, why don't you hit up Nick Johnson and Rondae Hollis-Jefferson (two players who departed early) and ask them their thoughts on Sean Miller. I doubt they were sick of Miller's "bullcrap."

You're throwing any shit against the wall and hope it sticks to bash Miller, which is really no surprise considering your track record on this board. But you're so off the mark here it's laughable. Grant Jerrett and Chance Comanche each torpedoed their careers because of leaving school early. And this is Sean Miller's fault? Funny, Solomon Hill stayed four years and look at the dividends it payed.

More than anything, Emmanuel Akot let his teammates down by quitting early. Arizona surely would've won a few more games based on depth alone had he stuck around. If I'm a Boise State player and know that Akot is coming into my program, I wouldn't be happy. How can you trust a guy that quits on his teammates in the middle of January? That's a character issue.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote:
RiseAndFire wrote:
azcat49 wrote:

Yea, too bad other schools don't have players transfer out. Especially those with many NCs.

Yep. The average is 40% of freshmen will wind up at a different college than the one they begin at. Our ratio isn't odd at all vs other programs or the national average.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I like that RiseAndFail is still trying to paint Miller as a coach who never takes responsibility for his mistakes when right after the Sweet Sixteen loss to Xavier a reporter asked why Lauri didn’t get the ball down the stretch and Miller replied “bad coaching”.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

IIRC he said we were "outplayed and outcoached" after the loss to UNLV in '14.

~ Wilhoit's Law
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

dovecanyoncat wrote:IIRC he said we were "outplayed and outcoached" after the loss to UNLV in '14.
It's trenchant analysis like that that I love with him. When you lose, you ordinarily got either outplayed or outcoached. It's really hard to outplay and outcoach an opponent and lose by 20.

Half his game analysis is nuggets like "Miller just doesn't realize you should tell players to score more points than the other team. He just doesn't understand it's hard to win when you score fewer points than UCLA."