He will be! Dude can ball
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Spaceman Spiff

Re: Zeke Nnaji

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

97cats wrote:just might be the best of the bunch
Yeah, but then I remember Nico. Then I remember Green. Then I remember Nnaji again.

It's a nice problem to have. It just makes me feel bad for Christian Koloko, though.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

if that's the case, this team is gonna be goooooooooood
NickyBCats

Post by NickyBCats »

This makes me very excited because you’ve said how high you are on Nico! If Zeke is the best if the bunch than that makes this team much better in my opinion.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

One name up front receiving rave reviews early is Zeke Nnaji; he could start right away next to Chase Jeter.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... 25-2019-20
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

97cats wrote:One name up front receiving rave reviews early is Zeke Nnaji; he could start right away next to Chase Jeter.

very strong correlation, imo, with how good zeke is to how good our team is.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Doutrive is gonna be a nightmare for opponents this season. So happy he’s coming back. His length and athleticism will do wonders for a team that has threats at all five positions. Green, Nnaji and Doutrive will be such a pain to opponents on the offensive glass.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

97cats wrote:One name up front receiving rave reviews early is Zeke Nnaji; he could start right away next to Chase Jeter.

I went from thinking Nico/BWill in the backcourt was out strength to wondering if Jeter, Nnaji, Lee and Gettings is the strength of our team.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

I went from thinking Nico/BWill in the backcourt was out strength to wondering if Jeter, Nnaji, Lee and Gettings is the strength of our team.
There's pretty good frontcourt/backcourt balance. And even without BW, there's decent depth. Excited to see Zeke play.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

There's pretty good frontcourt/backcourt balance. And even without BW, there's decent depth. Excited to see Zeke play.
Yea and nay. With BWill, I felt like we could just have him, Nico and Green play tons of perimeter minutes in big games. Now we need Smith, Hazzard or DD to step up to fill that third spot.

That's potentially the big loss. I was ready to count on BWill, Nico and Green in big games. Now, we need a third guy to step up and deliver in the tourney.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Now, we need a third guy to step up and deliver in the tourney.
Every year in the tourney, there are guys who step up and make big plays who weren't expected to. Happens every, single, year. One of these years, AZ is gonna have one or two of these guys. We have plenty of candidates: Stone, Hazzard, DD.

I love our roster and have a good feeling about this team. Of course it would've been better to have BW, but he's out and may not be back. This team can do big things.
StickItInTheyFace

Post by StickItInTheyFace »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Now, we need a third guy to step up and deliver in the tourney.
Every year in the tourney, there are guys who step up and make big plays who weren't expected to. Happens every, single, year. One of these years, AZ is gonna have one or two of these guys. We have plenty of candidates: Stone, Hazzard, DD.

I love our roster and have a good feeling about this team. Of course it would've been better to have BW, but he's out and may not be back. This team can do big things.
Me too, and I have in-explainable confidence that Max Hazzard is going to be much better than we think. Just feels like he fits the mold for a guy that really puts it together in March. He did it last year.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

StickItInTheyFace wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:

Me too, and I have in-explainable confidence that Max Hazzard is going to be much better than we think. Just feels like he fits the mold for a guy that really puts it together in March. He did it last year.
Tourney history is loaded with examples of unheralded seniors who turned into superheroes in March. Not trying to put it all on Hazzard, but he's going to have a great opportunity this year to give us good minutes.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Not sure what kind of defensive player Zeke is, but with he, CJ and IL roaming the paint, our interior defense is looking quite good.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

he's ok imo
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

He looks ready to go pro already.

Damn. What a debut.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Seems good I guess.

/s
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Arizona-good enough.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
97cats

Post by 97cats »

game 1 - 11/6/19

21mins - 9-12fg - 2-2ft - 4rb - 1ast - 1st - 1blk - 1to - 20pts
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

First thing that struck me was how he ran the floor in transition from D to O. It was beautiful.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat wrote:First thing that struck me was how he ran the floor in transition from D to O. It was beautiful.
Nothing like a 6'11" center who can run the floor like a guard.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I know it's just 1 game... but holy hell he was light years better than anyone else on the court.... game 1 freshman year.... he is special.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

This is the first time I've heard Sean compare someone to Derrick Williams. Trying not to get too excited, but I'm excited.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I guess it's our periodic reminder that player rankings are of very limited usefulness. According to the rankings, you'd expect this player to be somewhere notably south of Tarc.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Longhorned wrote:I guess it's our periodic reminder that player rankings are of very limited usefulness. According to the rankings, you'd expect this player to be somewhere notably south of Tarc.
Zeus was the 2nd highest rated center in his class, just as Shakur was the 2nd ranked PG in his class.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I am more excited after game one for zeke compared to how I felt about Ayton.

And I was excited for Ayton.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

game 2 - 11/10/19

34mins - 9-12fg - 1-2ft - 5rb - 2asst - 1blk - 19pts
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

CalStateTempe wrote:I am more excited after game one for zeke compared to how I felt about Ayton.

The issue is Zeke can get his own and is more fluid around the paint than Ayton was. Plus that money baseline jumper. It does help that he has guards who can feed him in the right positions. But in the end, who cares—I’m just excited to have players who produce and are effective at this level. I never want to see another comment about how much better X player will be in the NBA.
terryarms

Post by terryarms »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:It does help that he has guards who can feed him in the right positions.
Imagine Mannion feeding Ayton.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:I am more excited after game one for zeke compared to how I felt about Ayton.

The issue is Zeke can get his own and is more fluid around the paint than Ayton was. Plus that money baseline jumper. It does help that he has guards who can feed him in the right positions. But in the end, who cares—I’m just excited to have players who produce and are effective at this level. I never want to see another comment about how much better X player will be in the NBA.
Your last sentence is interesting because the conversation around Zeke’s NBA prospects seems to be focused on the possibility he will be a defensive tweener at the next level much like Jordan Hill.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
billk78

Post by billk78 »

terryarms wrote:
ByJoveByJingle wrote:It does help that he has guards who can feed him in the right positions.
Imagine Mannion feeding Ayton.
I thought about this several times as I was watching Mannion feed the inside last night.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Ayton was an absolute monster. You wouldn't trade him for any big man in all of college basketball this year. But his November Arizona team would have lost that home game to Illinois last night.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Nnaji looks great. He has good feet on D, can discourage people in the lane, and offensively looks to have a lot of tools and fluidity.

My picky note is that his rebounding has not been good for a guy his size. He has a total rebound rate of 10.1. Comparing him to Ayton, well, Ayton was literally over twice that at 21.4.

I do think Nnaji could be a better defender than Ayton. Offensively, Nnaji benefots a lot from Nico setting him up, but he could produce a similar impact there. I'd like to see him kick up his production on the glass.
terryarms

Post by terryarms »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:My picky note is that his rebounding has not been good for a guy his size. He has a total rebound rate of 10.1. Comparing him to Ayton, well, Ayton was literally over twice that at 21.4.
Im not worried about this at all, you're right though that the rebounding numbers have been lower than what we might expect. Part of it is that we've emphasized sending our guards to the defensive glass so that takes away some opportunities for Zeke to grab boards.

Nnaji is a great natural rebounder with really good instincts and mobility, that alone will allow him to have some impressive rebounding games.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

That's just because he's unstoppable.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

Completely off topic, but I want a gold practice jersey
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Completely off off topic...I want a 2019-2020 National Championship Shirt
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Frybry02 wrote:Completely off topic, but I want a gold practice jersey
If you can somehow get your hands on a regular practice jersey, you'll have it. Just have to turn it inside-out.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Here's at look at where Nnaji's scoring output in his first two games ranks among other UA standouts from the past 20 years:
Chase Budinger: 49 points
Hassan Adams: 43 points
Zeke Nnaji: 39 points
Lauri Markkanen: 39 points
Jerryd Bayless: 39 points
Deandre Ayton: 38 points
Mike Bibby: 35 points
Kobi Simmons: 31 points
Allonzo Trier: 30 points
Solomon Hill: 29 points
Aaron Gordon: 27 points
Mustafa Shakur: 27 points
Jason Gardner: 26 points
Stanley Johnson: 25 points
Gilbert Arenas: 24 points
Derrick Williams: 18 points
Richard Jefferson: 11 points

https://arizonawildcats.com/news/2019/1 ... night.aspx" target="_blank
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Nico Mannion: 32 points
Josh Green: 30 points
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

It's a great start for Zeke. As long as his season ends the same way Bibby's freshman year did, I'm good.
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

84Cat wrote:Here's at look at where Nnaji's scoring output in his first two games ranks among other UA standouts from the past 20 years:

Money and Norman would both be somewhere around the 30 point mark - and there was no 3 point line. In 1972 Norman was top scorer with 37 in the exhibition against Cal State Bakersfield. Then Money was top with 20 in a loss against San Francisco and Norman was top with 20 in a loss against Stanford. I can't see what they got when they were not top, but I'm sure they had to have gotten 10 or more.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/sc ... edule.html" target="_blank

Norman always got most of his points from a million miles out - oh for a three point line back then.

Edit: I don't know how that sports-reference site figures we got 13,000 people into Bear Down Gym. I think the 3,200 they list at the start of the season was a stretch.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
enfuego

Post by enfuego »

RichardCranium wrote:
84Cat wrote:Here's at look at where Nnaji's scoring output in his first two games ranks among other UA standouts from the past 20 years:

Money and Norman would both be somewhere around the 30 point mark - and there was no 3 point line. In 1972 Norman was top scorer with 37 in the exhibition against Cal State Bakersfield. Then Money was top with 20 in a loss against San Francisco and Norman was top with 20 in a loss against Stanford. I can't see what they got when they were not top, but I'm sure they had to have gotten 10 or more.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/sc ... edule.html" target="_blank

Norman always got most of his points from a million miles out - oh for a three point line back then.

Edit: I don't know how that sports-reference site figures we got 13,000 people into Bear Down Gym. I think the 3,200 they list at the start of the season was a stretch.
Since you brought up money, can you explain the following to me?

Tarczewski - Kansas lean, picks Arizona.
Ayton - Kansas lean, picks Arizona.
Nnaji - Kansas lean, picks Arizona.
"Arizona got uppercutted out of the 2018 tournament by No. 13 Buffalo, which delivered one of the most overwhelming, lopsided upsets by a double-digit seed in tournament history (89-68). "
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Averaging almost 22 a game
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I never watch the NBA, but is he a real prospect for a one and done?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Merkin wrote:I never watch the NBA, but is he a real prospect for a one and done?

Yep
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion