Dinner Tonight

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Longhorned

Re: Dinner Tonight

Post by Longhorned »

CalStateTempe wrote:So I'm doing some work in Eastern NC this weekend and have BBQ tour of Eastern NC Legends on the way back to Durham this evening.

The rules: Standardizing my tour to pulled pork/chopped pork BBQ sandwiches WITH coleslaw on top only. Must eat with hushpuppies. Will eat the first half without bbq sauce, will divy up the second half with sauces that are available. preference for vinegar based sauces due the where I will be traveling.

The Line-up
1. King's BBQ in Kinston NC
2. Wilbur's BBQ in Goldsboro NC
3. Parker's BBQ in Wilson NC

(due to travel route, will have to omit B's in Greenville for now, but this is on the NC bucket list)

Should break up the 2.5hr trip home nicely, Yes, my belt has notches to expand. :)
Quite frankly, WOW! There are few meat-eating humans in the world -- no matter what their circumstances -- who wouldn't trade trade places with you over the course of those meals.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Having a bunch of friends over. Were gonna watch Red Dragon and then Silence Of The Lambs. Thought it'd be fun to have a carnivorous menu of:

Seared Liver & Onions with Fatty Beef Tips
AppleJack Bacon BBQ Baby Back Ribs
Bleeding Tomato Sirloin Kabobs.

Basically, trim sirloin for kabobs, keeping the fatty tips.

Make my Ribeye marinade, and mix in the fatty tips. Cook over medium in marinade for 15 minutes, then remove, putting marinade on the kabobs, ribs, and liver.

I'll slice up the liver into small pieces, sear in marinade with onions, then add the fatty tips towards the end to add flavor and added texture.

Add cherry tomatoes between ever meat cube on kabob, cooking over 350-F heat on the grill. Eventually the tomatoes "bleed" and look all grim.

I'm slow-cooking the ribs in a crock pot for 6 hours today, with a base of spices/seasonings, apple cider vinegar, honey Jack Daniels, sliced apples, onions, and filet'd bacon. After about 5 hours check the meat. If nearing falling off bone, turn to low, prepare high heat grill, mix BBQ sauce with a bit of beef broth/Jack Daniels and sear until carmalized.

Lots of finger licking, lip smacking, texture-terrific tastes for a night watching everyone's favorite cannibal.
Zero

Post by Zero »

Damn, that sounds good. Take some pics!
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Zero wrote:Damn, that sounds good. Take some pics!
Me or CST?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

You, JMJ. That sounds like an awesome feast.

I did a swordfish, which I seared in the pan and then spread on it a compound butter with fresh thyme and lemon, and had that with roasted Brussels sprouts with balsamic glaze.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

JMarkJohns wrote:Having a bunch of friends over. Were gonna watch Red Dragon and then Silence Of The Lambs. Thought it'd be fun to have a carnivorous menu of:

Seared Liver & Onions with Fatty Beef Tips
AppleJack Bacon BBQ Baby Back Ribs
Bleeding Tomato Sirloin Kabobs.

Basically, trim sirloin for kabobs, keeping the fatty tips.

Make my Ribeye marinade, and mix in the fatty tips. Cook over medium in marinade for 15 minutes, then remove, putting marinade on the kabobs, ribs, and liver.

I'll slice up the liver into small pieces, sear in marinade with onions, then add the fatty tips towards the end to add flavor and added texture.

Add cherry tomatoes between ever meat cube on kabob, cooking over 350-F heat on the grill. Eventually the tomatoes "bleed" and look all grim.

I'm slow-cooking the ribs in a crock pot for 6 hours today, with a base of spices/seasonings, apple cider vinegar, honey Jack Daniels, sliced apples, onions, and filet'd bacon. After about 5 hours check the meat. If nearing falling off bone, turn to low, prepare high heat grill, mix BBQ sauce with a bit of beef broth/Jack Daniels and sear until carmalized.

Lots of finger licking, lip smacking, texture-terrific tastes for a night watching everyone's favorite cannibal.
No fava beans?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Nope.

I didn't take any pictures, mostly because it all got gone very fast.

Recipe'd are about as simple as I made it sound.

A couple of the rib slabs over cooked and fell off the bone prior to grilling, but the rest was great. That'll make good pulled pork tomorrow, I'm sure.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Barley and mushroom porridge
Giant bag of Trader Joe's Tuscan Kale, steamed and seasoned with salt and pepper and Trader Joe's little red-lable bottle of balsamic vinegar
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chili and cornbread.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Hoppin' John with ham hock
Cornbread
Collard greens
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Taco Tuesday bitches
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Last night made chicken fajitas.

Only thing special about them is the green peppers came from garden, where I started a second season of veggies due to the long summer here this year.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Blind Boudin taste test of 8 different boudin's, locally sources from purveyors in and around Lafayette LA, with 8 different california zinfandels. oh an open bar wine tasting style...

I have died and gone to culinary heaven over the past several days...and I will be in Louisiana for another 10.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Chicat wrote:Taco Tuesday bitches
Feel a lot better it there were a comma.
Right where I want to be.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Thursday night pea soup and pancakes
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

hot dogs, and a salad
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Tuesday night: blind boudin tasting with 8 different boudin locally sourced. Rated on spice meat to rice ratio and texture. Joined with 8 different Zinfandels and petite syriahs.

Last night:
Farmers market greens with fig balsamic pecan vinegarette
Porcini mushroom risotto with roasted garlic and forest mushrooms
Brown butter creme sauce with seared scallops over pasta
Broccolini with light sugercane syrup drizzle.
Pralines

Today we are taking off work early to drink to the sticks for Cochin bucharie and gumbo

I love Louisiana, it's a wonder I'm getting any work done here in between food comas
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Pot stickers with stir fry veggies.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

CalStateTempe wrote:Tuesday night: blind boudin tasting with 8 different boudin locally sourced. Rated on spice meat to rice ratio and texture. Joined with 8 different Zinfandels and petite syriahs.

Last night:
Pralines

Today we are taking off work early to drink to the sticks for Cochin bucharie and gumbo

I love Louisiana, it's a wonder I'm getting any work done here in between food comas
Is all this food and wine provided to you as part of this work?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

gumby wrote:
They were Korean tacos.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Longhorned wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:Tuesday night: blind boudin tasting with 8 different boudin locally sourced. Rated on spice meat to rice ratio and texture. Joined with 8 different Zinfandels and petite syriahs.

Last night:
Pralines

Is all this food and wine provided to you as part of this work?
My attending here is lafayette is also a trained chef from CIA Napa. His father apparently was a well know French chef in the area back in the day. He also runs a wine a food appreciation club, hence the wine and boudin night the other night.

Short answer, I'm eating well for free while staying at his house for two weeks of work in his clinic and at various places in southern Lousiana. And I'm picking up some killer skills in the process.

Saturday we are cooking crocodile courtbolllion. And he's going to teach me his roux. :)
gumby

Post by gumby »

Chicat wrote:
gumby wrote:
They were Korean tacos.
:D

What meal would be the best antidote to candy? Need to plan tonight's dinner. Who am I kidding? It's going to be pizza.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I'm having roast veggie lasagna (trader joes ftw) and roast acorn squash tonight.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Tonight I'm taking the Dutch oven and roasting a potage of acorn squash, maple syrup, sage, millet, and pumpkin seeds, with lingonberry jam on the side. Based on Mark Bittman's "autumn millet bake" recipe.

I'll wish I did pizza when the doorbell starts ringing. I might dress as a salt shaker.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

gumby wrote:
Chicat wrote:
gumby wrote:
They were Korean tacos.
:D

What meal would be the best antidote to candy? Need to plan tonight's dinner. Who am I kidding? It's going to be pizza.
I was planning on letting my kids gorge on candy until they puke as a substitute to making dinner but with this weather they might not be able to go to too many houses. So I guess it'll be pizza here too.

In fact, I would be willing to bet that outside of Super Bowl Sunday, Halloween is the busiest night of the year for pizza places.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

think about that poor pizza guy risking his life to deliver you your pizza in the shitty weather and tip him generously.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

scumdevils86 wrote:think about that poor pizza guy risking his life to deliver you your pizza in the shitty weather and tip him generously.
I'm the pizza guy. Only place that delivers to me is Papa John's and I wouldn't feed that shit to Bruins01.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

How does this dish sound?

Pizzoccheri, from the Italian and Swiss Alps and found all over Lombardy. I love the stuff but I've never made it myself.

It's buckwheat noodles, potatoes, butter infused with sage and garlic, Swiss chard, soft cheese (I'll use Raclette) and parmigiano regiano.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

nice. looks good.

when are we all invited to dinner at your place?
Coop Cat

Post by Coop Cat »

Going to a Chili Cook-Off tomorrow so tomorrow night will be Chili!!
Sidewinder

Post by Sidewinder »

Stopped by the Black Dog Smoke & Ale House in Urbana, IL for lunch today. Was disappointed that they were out of burnt ends, but the brisket was definitely solid.
"Yeah, well, I always heard there were three kinds of suns in kansas: sunshine, sunflowers, and sons-of-bitches"
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Longhorned wrote: Pizzoccheri, from the Italian and Swiss Alps and found all over Lombardy.
That's because winners never quit and quitters never win.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Friday night: Chicken and Amanda Sausage Gumbo, from scratch. with rice

last night: Fresh greens with pecan oil vingarette with royal red shrimp and butter, alligator and gulf shrimp coubilllion, pistachio semifreddo and hazelnut creme crepe with Frangelico reduction sauce.

Savigion Blanc -> Champange rose -> Rombauer Chardoney -> Peter Foley Charbono -> some delcious dessert resiling from Austria that I don't remember.

Tonight: baby back ribs and sweet potato with caramelized mushrooms. probably more wine.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

spaghetti alla carbonara
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Stew made of chickpeas, veggie stock, tomato puree, peanut butter, kale, onion, carrot, garlic, coriander, smoked paprika, cumin and cayenne. Vegan meal...but astoundingly good and filling. Very rich.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Got a pot of chili going on the stove. Made with Santa Cruz chile powder from Tumacacori, AZ (the stuff Gordo's used in their red sauce, "if you reeaallly love chimichangas . . . ") I typically eat with tortillas, but I just threw a pan of cornbread in the oven - mixed in a couple cans of diced green chiles and topped with grated cheddar.

Will be accompanied by Ninkasi Sleighr dark double alt ale - my favorite seasonal brew.

First rainy cold fall weekend here in Boise. Thought it would hit the spot.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

First I'll bake an apple streusel and let it cool.

Then I'm going to roast squash, potatoes, leeks, carrots, celery, and onions, then add it to a chicken stock I'll have simmering and add a had of white Russian kale. That's the plan. A kind of autumn soup and apple streusel.
gumby

Post by gumby »

"First, take a leek ..."
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Pork chile verde bubbling away in my le creuset right now.

Took forever to broil the tomatillos, green chiles and garlic and to butcher the bone in pork butt (in contrast to buying pre cut pork stew meat and using jarred or canned salsa verde) but oh damn is it worth it.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Rotisserie chicken burritos washed down with a New Castle Brown Ale.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Kentucky Legend Ham, scalloped potatoes, brussell sprouts with bacon
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Chicat wrote:Kentucky Legend Ham, scalloped potatoes, brussell sprouts with bacon
Is that better than Honeybaked?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Longhorned wrote:
Chicat wrote:Kentucky Legend Ham, scalloped potatoes, brussell sprouts with bacon
Is that better than Honeybaked?
It is in my book.
TheBlackLodge

Post by TheBlackLodge »

Roasted butternut squash soup, Alton Brown edition. I will never buy the carton soup kind from Trader Joe's ever again.
Formerly McLurvin
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I never liked the TJ squash soup. It tasted fake to me. Like they used stevia or something to sweeten it.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I just get sad when my dinner is poured out of a carton. I kind of like picking it up from a drive-through, though.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

that pork chile verde I made last night was incredible. i am definitely patting myself on the back heartily for that one.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Green chile makes everything better.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Spaghetti with a hot Italian sausage/tomato/chunky vegetable sauce.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Roasted cajun chicken, deboned whole while remaining intact and stuffed with crab shrimp and rice.

I am so scared to step on the scale when I return home next week.