Dinner Tonight

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Longhorned

Re: Dinner Tonight

Post by Longhorned »

CalStateTempe wrote:Smoked turkey enchiladas!
When I was eating my Thanksgiving meal, I was thinking how much better it would be if the turkey on my plate was in a pool of red chili sauce and covered with melted jack cheese and roasted green chiles.
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

Longhorned wrote:
When I was eating my Thanksgiving meal, I was thinking how much better it would be if the turkey on my plate was in a pool of red chili sauce and covered with melted jack cheese and roasted green chiles.
That sounds fantastic.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Smoked turkey pot pies tomorrow
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

scumdevils86 wrote:Smoked turkey pot pies tomorrow
Is Turkey a new vape flavor?
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Catintheheat wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
That sounds fantastic.
They were! My wife has really been “bringing it” in the kitchen lately!
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

CalStateTempe wrote:
Catintheheat wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
That sounds fantastic.
They were! My wife has really been “bringing it” in the kitchen lately!
Does your wife ever cook Persian? I was in a 5+ year relationship with a Iranian woman and as time has passed I find I miss that more than anything. :|

Albaloo polo. Yummm.

https://medium.com/@parssocial89/irania ... 19e1c94761
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

There are possibly some things as good as Iranian food, but there’s nothing better than Iranian food.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Just made a quesadilla to go with left over store-bought stuffing. On the stovetop, not even in the microwave this time. Was feeling ambitious. I’m reminded why I don’t cook. Did I burn the butter? Probably. We’ll never know. The cats were not impressed by any of it.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:Just made a quesadilla to go with left over store-bought stuffing. On the stovetop, not even in the microwave this time. Was feeling ambitious. I’m reminded why I don’t cook. Did I burn the butter? Probably. We’ll never know. The cats were not impressed by any of it.
Honestly, you have no excuses. This isn’t architectural design.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Longhorned wrote:
ByJoveByJingle wrote:Just made a quesadilla to go with left over store-bought stuffing. On the stovetop, not even in the microwave this time. Was feeling ambitious. I’m reminded why I don’t cook. Did I burn the butter? Probably. We’ll never know. The cats were not impressed by any of it.
Honestly, you have no excuses. This isn’t architectural design.
It’s truly pathetic. And yet some people are auteurs, while others just wanna watch a good movie. Nothing but respect for all you gourmet chefs. Signed, an unsophisticated gourmand.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

legallykenny

Post by legallykenny »

I found quesadilla this weekend to be a pretty good way to use dried out leftover turkey.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

legallykenny wrote:
I found quesadilla this weekend to be a pretty good way to use dried out leftover turkey.
You probably didn’t burn the butter.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Pressure cooker split pea and ham soup.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Leftover Thanksgiving mashed potato shepherds pie
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Porcini chicken broth couscous stuffed artichokes, french green beans and garlic, with a Margaret River SBS.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

The driver side door of some dude running a stop sign while I’m making a left.

Wrong thread?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I may be the last to the party on this but I just discovered those amazing La Noria corn tortillas from their carneceria on Prince, though I bought them at El Herradero on 22nd St.

http://riverviewfarmtucson.com/product/ ... tortillas/" target="_blank

The ingredients are "water, corn, salt" but the corn is clearly nixtamalized, so I don't know why lime isn't listed, unless I'm wrong and they aren't nixtamalized.

They're moist and clay-like, but somehow aren't stuck together. So it's like when you buy the masa from the tortilliera and press and cook and the tortillas, but fail-proof.

They're chewy, sweet, and taste like corn. I'm imagining some people saying they don't like them because they don't pack a wallop of earthy, mineralized, spider dust, blow-a-hole-in-your-throat complexity hidden in an underground tomb since before Cortés conquered Tenochtitlán. I'm not one of those people.

And as they cook in the hot pan, they make your house smell amazing.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

That sounds great! When you say carniceria on Prince do you mean Prince and 1st? Because I live a half mile from there and have never been. (Did read they had some severe health violations for spraying some kind of preservative on their meat that's outlawed)

I made pressure cooker mushroom risotto tonight finished with a splash of cream and fresh tarragon. It was better than anything I've had in a restaurant.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

scumdevils86 wrote:That sounds great! When you say carniceria on Prince do you mean Prince and 1st? Because I live a half mile from there and have never been. (Did read they had some severe health violations for spraying some kind of preservative on their meat that's outlawed)

I made pressure cooker mushroom risotto tonight finished with a splash of cream and fresh tarragon. It was better than anything I've had in a restaurant.
That's the one but I've never been there.

Is that Kenji's pressure cooker mushroom risotto? I made Kenji's green chili with those tortillas.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Longhorned wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:That sounds great! When you say carniceria on Prince do you mean Prince and 1st? Because I live a half mile from there and have never been. (Did read they had some severe health violations for spraying some kind of preservative on their meat that's outlawed)

Is that Kenji's pressure cooker mushroom risotto? I made Kenji's green chili with those tortillas.
Yup. Ride or die with Kenji. It was so damn good and I used cheap white wine and scraps of parm. Did you make his green chile chicken or pork? I've made both recently.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

scumdevils86 wrote:
Longhorned wrote:

Yup. Ride or die with Kenji. It was so damn good and I used cheap white wine and scraps of parm. Did you make his green chile chicken or pork? I've made both recently.
I made the chicken this time. Both are awesome. But next time I'm going to experiment with a Sonoran beef green chili. I'm thinking I'd do everything but the meat in the pressure cooker, and then use the meatless green chili sauce to do what he otherwise does with his amazing red chili:

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/201 ... carne.html" target="_blank

There was a time when I would have used the chicken anyway to do something like that, but I'm deciding that all that wisdom about cooking everything with chicken stock is misplaced.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I hate dinner parties at the homes of people who think Kraft Mac & Cheese is fine dining.

My palate is offended and my stomach hurts.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Longhorned wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:
Longhorned wrote:

I made the chicken this time. Both are awesome. But next time I'm going to experiment with a Sonoran beef green chili. I'm thinking I'd do everything but the meat in the pressure cooker, and then use the meatless green chili sauce to do what he otherwise does with his amazing red chili:

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/201 ... carne.html" target="_blank

There was a time when I would have used the chicken anyway to do something like that, but I'm deciding that all that wisdom about cooking everything with chicken stock is misplaced.
Lemme know how it is.

I made Kenji's barbacoa yesterday for a friend's gift exchange nacho party today. Chuck roast braised for 5+ hours, 3 kinds of chiles (negra, pasilla, guajillo). Turned out a dark mole, chocolatey brown after I let it sit overnight and shredded today. It was so good.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Spinach enchiladas. Talk all you want, and dream of sex, but if you really want to please a woman, make spinach enchiladas. It's all they want. Even more than salad.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

If your lady prefers your spinach enchiladas to your chimichangas, you may be doing it wrong.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Longhorned wrote:Spinach enchiladas. Talk all you want, and dream of sex, but if you really want to please a woman, make spinach enchiladas. It's all they want. Even more than salad.
This explains so much. Thanks.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I may be doing my chimichangas wrong (I've never shook the suspicion), but to clarify: If you really deliver on the spinach enchiladas, there's still no sex forthcoming. It's a generous, one-way gesture that ends with a remote control in your hand and the glow of the Discovery Channel.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Heck, ya know, Norm, we're doing pretty good.
I love ya, Margie.

~ Wilhoit's Law
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

What's you favorite boneless chicken breast recipe?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

azgreg wrote:What's you favorite boneless chicken breast recipe?
Cooked in a pan in olive oil (if skin is still on it renders some nice fat) then take out of the pan and slice. Deglaze the pan in a little lemon juice, then sauté diced shallots in the fat, then add a bunch of kale and cook it crisp, and then add a drained can of beans (flageolets are best, or any white beans). And grated lemon rind, and finish with grape tomatoes until they start to give a little from the heat. Put the chicken and it’s juices back and stir it in to reheat.

A little fish sauce at the end raises all the flavors.

I don’t remember where that evolved from.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

I bought a whole, primal NY Strip from Safeway today. 14.58# for $57 - I'm going to cut some 2" steaks and make a monster roast for XMas.

The dry brine starts Monday.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Of all the packages to steal, somebody got my Danish rye bread from Copenhagen Pastry.

So instead of my Christmas Eve tradition of Danish sandwiches (which continue into the next day while making the Christmas Day meal, I'm going to have to work for it: lasagne with all-day simmering ragu alla bolognese and bechamel.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Hmmm, the plot thickens. Drunk Longhorned stole Danish rye from himself . . . or Madeira-drunk Longhorned dryly Kafka-esquely recounts the crime told first-person through the eyes of the actual criminal. Either is possible. But now I’m leaning toward the latter.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Restaurant osso bucco, rissotto and asparagus, crab arancini, Syrah.

The odd elbows of small American towns have damn good food and drink these days. Twenty years ago it would have been swill and bilge. It has been an effort in aggregate well done by all generations.

~ Wilhoit's Law
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Longhorned wrote:Of all the packages to steal, somebody got my Danish rye bread from Copenhagen Pastry.

So instead of my Christmas Eve tradition of Danish sandwiches (which continue into the next day while making the Christmas Day meal, I'm going to have to work for it: lasagne with all-day simmering ragu alla bolognese and bechamel.

If you are stealing Danish baked goods and it's not kringle, you are doing it wrong.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Well my Kringle from Racine I got at Trader Joe’s is amaze balls, so there’s that.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Longhorned wrote:Well my Kringle from Racine I got at Trader Joe’s is amaze balls, so there’s that.

That's the one. My dad was born and raised in Racine and got me hooked on it. And the O&H that Trader Joe's carries is the best one.

Did you get Pecan? That's one of the best. If you are ever in Racine they have a bunch of flavors.

https://www.ohdanishbakery.com/everyday ... -favorites
-JB
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Pecan is on offer starting in January, right? Right now is almond, which is perfect because I love marzipan. The only one I’ve never tried is the pumpkin one in fall.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Longhorned wrote:Pecan is on offer starting in January, right? Right now is almond, which is perfect because I love marzipan. The only one I’ve never tried is the pumpkin one in fall.

Almond is awesome too. Pumpkin not so much.
-JB
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Danish roast duck with apples and prunes

Potato chips

Caramelized Brussels sprouts

Cookies and whiskey
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Smashed garlic potatoes, rolls, coffee California rub eye if round roast smoked with mesquite, green beans, German Bier, champagne cocktails
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Ham, stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy, mixed veggies, and potato rolls.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Pork chops with cherry peppers

Calabrian cauliflower
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

My in-laws invited people to my home to eat dinner without once asking if it was ok. Now none of them will leave.

Oh, dinner was ham, mac&cheese from scratch, green beans, and salad.

But seriously, what the fuck?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Chicat wrote:My in-laws invited people to my home to eat dinner without once asking if it was ok. Now none of them will leave.

Oh, dinner was ham, mac&cheese from scratch, green beans, and salad.

But seriously, what the fuck?
You could have solved this with forgoing that perfect dinner in favor of hair soup.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I took some stale Danish rye bread and soaked it overnight in beer, and then made a porridge of it with onions, apples, and homemade chicken stock. I cooked it thick, and added butter right at the end. Then I served it in wide, shallow bowls, capped with pork sausage patties and dressed with apple slices and preserved lingonberries.

I don't know of any recipes, but there's no way millions of people haven't eaten that in some Nordic country.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Damn you. I've had a horrible week of food filled with pizza and subs. But I did make some rather delightful green chile turkey burgers.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

scumdevils86 wrote:Damn you. I've had a horrible week of food filled with pizza and subs. But I did make some rather delightful green chile turkey burgers.
You had me at green chile.

I picked up a whole Branzino from Yuri at Rincon Market. Set me back $30. Marinated it in olive oil, lemon juice, and bread crumbs, and grilled it. So fresh and delicate. Even my parrot couldn't get enough of it.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Longhorned wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:Damn you. I've had a horrible week of food filled with pizza and subs. But I did make some rather delightful green chile turkey burgers.
You had me at green chile.

I picked up a whole Branzino from Yuri at Rincon Market. Set me back $30. Marinated it in olive oil, lemon juice, and bread crumbs, and grilled it. So fresh and delicate. Even my parrot couldn't get enough of it.
How many lbs?