Rotation

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Alieberman

Rotation

Post by Alieberman »

I know it won't last but I really like playing 9-10 guys.

Besides the big 6- PJC, Pitts and Ristic all are making solid contributions in limited minutes.
Alieberman

Re: Rotation

Post by Alieberman »

And Victor just made a great move and bucket!
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Miller said before his substitution pattern going forward would be pretty much what we've been seeing. Loving how deep we are so hopefully it sticks.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Victor would be great for some first halves this year where Zeus/Ashley are in early foul trouble. Dude just knows how to make a difference on the blocks.

Ristic still is getting outmuscled in loose ball situations more than he should. PJC is ahead of the game early, though.

Pitts and York just seem to be two sides of one coin, unfortunately--a and b.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Not kind of me to notice, but our scrubs these past two seasons are the worst garbage time players we've had in decades.
etank34

Post by etank34 »

AZCatGirl wrote:Miller said before his substitution pattern going forward would be pretty much what we've been seeing. Loving how deep we are so hopefully it sticks.
I will only believe that when I actually see it in a close game.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Miller really happy with Pitts, could expand his role on the team. PJC too.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Yeah, Miller was practically beaming when talking about PJC. We'll definitely be seeing a lot more of him.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
az91

Post by az91 »

Longhorned wrote:Not kind of me to notice, but our scrubs these past two seasons are the worst garbage time players we've had in decades.
Yeah, they are dreadful. The end of the game tonight was pure ugly.
Catstatic

Post by Catstatic »

I really hope Miller plays 10 every game. The last 8-12 minutes he can tighten it up and go with 7 or so. These guys are all very, very good and deserve to know they will get some floor time each game.

This would be a change from what we have seen from Coach in prior years. I see nothing but positives if he does, and more than a few negatives if he doesn't.

Here's hopin'!

Go Cats!!
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

I'm guessing that Coach M is tinkering with player combinations along with distributing playing minutes. Great for development of 7-9 or 10. As Cats get further into the season, I'd expect to see a shorten line up, 7-8 maybe? Sounds like practices are pretty damn competitive so playing time up for grabs.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Longhorned wrote:Not kind of me to notice, but our scrubs these past two seasons are the worst garbage time players we've had in decades.
There's a stat for this. TIRD. We're last in the nation.
Right where I want to be.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

TJ 26 / PJC 14
SJ 20 / York 15 / Pitts 5
RHJ 12 / Pitts 20 / SJ 8
Ashley 24 / RHJ 16
Tarc 28 / Ristic 8 / Ashley 4

TJ 26
PJC 14
SJ 28
York 15
RHJ 28
Pitts 25
Ashley 28
Tarc 28
Ristic 8
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I think we only played 6 guys in the 2nd half. In close games Miller is not going to be using his bench
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Alieberman wrote:I think we only played 6 guys in the 2nd half. In close games Miller is not going to be using his bench

York with a lot of second half minutes although he was not playing well.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Hasn't seen enough of PJC to trust him late I guess.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

I think tonight gave a much truer representation of how Miller views his players.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

UAEebs86 wrote:Hasn't seen enough of PJC to trust him late I guess.
Why does he trust York?
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Longhorned wrote:
Why does he trust York?
He must play better defense in practice. That's the only thing that would make sense.
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

Longhorned wrote:
Why does he trust York?
Agree, Pitts over York.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Bosy Billups wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
Why does he trust York?
Agree, Pitts over York.
This
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Olsondogg wrote:
Bosy Billups wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
Why does he trust York?
Agree, Pitts over York.
This
Only because Jordin Mayes graduated...
gumby

Post by gumby »

Tighten Up. Miller's theme song.
1stNGrant Frys

Post by 1stNGrant Frys »

Same style from every year....the B-squad always takes the last 5-6 minutes of the first half and only plays spotty minutes in the 2nd. Ristic, PJC and Pitts = Kyryl, Lavendar and Horne
Catstatic

Post by Catstatic »

This team will face more zones than any Arizona team, perhaps in history. This means Pitts needs more minutes. It was precisely what the announcers said last night. UCI started packing in the zone realizing Arizona was not much of a threat beyond the 3. Pitts is our best shooter. Here's hoping he gets more minutes in situations like last night.

Go Cats!!
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Catstatic wrote:This team will face more zones than any Arizona team, perhaps in history. This means Pitts needs more minutes. It was precisely what the announcers said last night. UCI started packing in the zone realizing Arizona was not much of a threat beyond the 3. Pitts is our best shooter. Here's hoping he gets more minutes in situations like last night.

Go Cats!!
Forget about the shooting, which is indeed "wet" in the hands of Pitts in contrast to York's consistently dry clanker. Pitts is the better defender. Normally that matters to Miller. There's something else we haven't put our finger on yet.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

What puzzled me was not seeing PJC in the second half. When TJ needed a rest, York played the point.

If God forbid TJ gets hurt, Miller is going to wish he had played PJC more in tight games earlier in the season.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Chicat wrote:What puzzled me was not seeing PJC in the second half. When TJ needed a rest, York played the point.

If God forbid TJ gets hurt, Miller is going to wish he had played PJC more in tight games earlier in the season.
He will play PJC plenty enough to instill confidence later in the year. Miller went with experience when game was tight.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Olsondogg wrote:
Chicat wrote:What puzzled me was not seeing PJC in the second half. When TJ needed a rest, York played the point.

He will play PJC plenty enough to instill confidence later in the year. Miller went with experience when game was tight.
Yeah, but you can't get that tight game experience if you don't play when the game is tight.

I mean, I get it. We were down in the 2nd half and a loss would have been a confidence crusher this early in the season, so as Coach's sphincter contracted so did the rotation. But for as much talk as there was after the game about this being a learning experience, you'd think you'd want it to be a learning experience for your freshman backup point guard as well.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Chicat wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:

Yeah, but you can't get that tight game experience if you don't play when the game is tight.

I mean, I get it. We were down in the 2nd half and a loss would have been a confidence crusher this early in the season, so as Coach's sphincter contracted so did the rotation. But for as much talk as there was after the game about this being a learning experience, you'd think you'd want it to be a learning experience for your freshman backup point guard as well.

Hey Chi, I hear ya. You gotta remember though, this game last night is the equivalent of the game at SDSU that we played last year. Alot can, and will change as the year goes along. Miller isn't completely comfortable playing unproven players in clutch situations...but I do believe last year opened his eyes on getting players meaningful minutes, and I think that will happen as we move on throughout the year.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Olsondogg wrote:
Chicat wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:

Hey Chi, I hear ya. You gotta remember though, this game last night is the equivalent of the game at SDSU that we played last year. Alot can, and will change as the year goes along. Miller isn't completely comfortable playing unproven players in clutch situations...but I do believe last year opened his eyes on getting players meaningful minutes, and I think that will happen as we move on throughout the year.
From your keyboard to Coach Miller's ears my friend. I just want the team to be as deep as possible by the time we get to conference play. If he wants to shorten the rotation then, by all means do so. But against the UC Irvine's of the world, I say play everyone. Even if the game is tight. But then again, I am not paid to coach any basketball team, so In Miller I Trust.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I think anytime you hear "This is gonna be a tough game" in a pregame interview, we can expect the shortened rotations...
gumby

Post by gumby »

You get some new jammies. Look good. But in times of sorrow and stress, you need comfort. So you haul out the old ones. The ones you're used to.
Last edited by gumby on Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

I mean I hear ya Chi, but I'm pretty sure Sean knows that if TJ gets seriously hurt we are not gonig to win a championship. There is no scenario where we can recover from that, so I think it's the wrong reason to be calling for PJC.

I certainly want him to be able to come in during a tight spot late in the year and provide meaningful minutes, too. But if he ever ended up being our starting PG this season we are screwed.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

It was York over PJC for the defensive assignment.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Catstatic wrote:This team will face more zones than any Arizona team, perhaps in history. This means Pitts needs more minutes. It was precisely what the announcers said last night. UCI started packing in the zone realizing Arizona was not much of a threat beyond the 3. Pitts is our best shooter. Here's hoping he gets more minutes in situations like last night.

Go Cats!!
Heard this last year, too. But Miller is not the only "do what we do" coach. If zone is a team's base defense, Ok. And it is for Irvine. To play it well, you play it a lot. Plus, Irvine had a rare size advantage. But to bring it out for a particular game? Doesn't happen all that often. Still, teams can sag without zone, so we need to sharpen the shooting.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

dcZONAfan wrote:

I mean I hear ya Chi, but I'm pretty sure Sean knows that if TJ gets seriously hurt we are not gonig to win a championship. There is no scenario where we can recover from that, so I think it's the wrong reason to be calling for PJC.

I certainly want him to be able to come in during a tight spot late in the year and provide meaningful minutes, too. But if he ever ended up being our starting PG this season we are screwed.
I honestly don't think we would be screwed if TJ was to go down like Ashley did last year. For one, PJC seems to have a lot of confidence and is most definitely skilled. We'd lose a lot on the defensive end, but I don't think there would be a drop off offensively. I would look for the team to press more and trap in the backcourt, not just in rare spurts like we do now, but in 4-5 minute stretches.

Is this a Final Four caliber team without TJ? Maybe not. But I could still see them getting to the second weekend and from there who knows what could happen. I guess my overall point is that let's find out now how good PJC can be in tight games down the stretch instead of having to guess later in the year because something catastrophic happened.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

Chicat wrote:
dcZONAfan wrote:

I honestly don't think we would be screwed if TJ was to go down like Ashley did last year. For one, PJC seems to have a lot of confidence and is most definitely skilled. We'd lose a lot on the defensive end, but I don't think there would be a drop off offensively. I would look for the team to press more and trap in the backcourt, not just in rare spurts like we do now, but in 4-5 minute stretches.

Is this a Final Four caliber team without TJ? Maybe not. But I could still see them getting to the second weekend and from there who knows what could happen. I guess my overall point is that let's find out now how good PJC can be in tight games down the stretch instead of having to guess later in the year because something catastrophic happened.
Fair enough, I definitely love what we have seen from PJC thus far and honestly didn't expect him to be able to contribute very much this year until he had a full season of Rounds's weight training.

He seems like a better shooter than TJ but for this team nothing is more important than the expert facilitating that TJ is able to achieve, and that's what I don't think PJC could make up for.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Chicat wrote:...so as Coach's sphincter contracted so did the rotation.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I'll take freaking hilarious things I didn't think I'd read today, for $200, Alex.

Awesome, Chi. :D :D

That's new thread worthy. "Another ****** Sphincter Contraction"
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

gumby wrote:Tighten Up. Miller's theme song.
Should be Josh Pastner's, for those that get that reference.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

PJC was pulled when he in-bounded the ball to Rondae as Rondae was stepping out of bounds to in-bound it. PGs dont inbound the ball.
Reydituto

Post by Reydituto »

I basically said the following on another board, but I'll say it here in condensed & edited fashion:

I find it interesting that, at least with public comments, there is a disconnect between how deep the fans here think UA is, and how deep Miller says UA is. I think some of what Miller has said so far is coachspeak, getting players to buy in to his defensive philosophy, but I don't expect UA to roll a true 9-10 deep by conference season like some of you want to see. Last night's 2nd half bore that out, as others have already suggested.

Miller has historically gone 7-8 deep, and the best I can see Miller doing this year is going "8+" deep, having 6 players he trusts pay every game, and then rotating the 7th/8th players between 3 others from game to game, based on need due to potential matchups, foul trouble and injuries. So that a 9th player is getting time here and there, but not as much time as if he were the undisputed 8th man/3rd guy off the bench or in a true 9-man rotation. In conference play, and otherwise in tight games, Miller likely plays no more than 8 while it is in doubt (even less right now if the UCI 2nd half is an indication), even if it's not the same 8 players every game.

After the "starting 6", I'm guessing Pitts gets first crack at that 7th man, interchanging with York and Stan on the wing, and then PJC/Ristic being that rotating 8th for sure as warranted/needed. I think Ristic gets more burn as the season (and his defense) progresses, as I could see York giving TJMC the rest at PG (even though that's not my preferred option), as happened against CSN and UCI for short stretches due to having 2 more years in this defense.

I appreciate all the arguments for a deeper bench, and share belief in many of them to various extents; While I think a case can be made for "9 deep" with Pitts, PJC and Ristic getting appreciable minutes, history tells me otherwise. I could see the potential for a full-court press here and there, which to me is the only real argument for going 9-10 deep on any team, but only a handful of teams do that any more, and that's never been Miller's strategy either.
But in my book, you gotta get to White Castle before the weirdos show up!
Tonight he gets Happy-Go-Jackie on the big white guy like a donkey eating a waffle!
Sweet Sassy Molassey, get out the checkbook and pay Grandma for the rubdown!