Rondae Hollis-Jefferson

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

KaibabKat

Re: Rondae Hollis-Jefferson

Post by KaibabKat »

351 Division 1 basketball teams.

One of them has their unquestioned best player sitting on the bench for the first four minutes of games.

That team is notorious for getting off to slow starts.

Okey Dokey.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

UAdevil wrote:
Chicat wrote:
azcat34 wrote:Has Miller said why he isn't starting? It seems like a really strange thing to continue to bring him off the bench for York.

Looks healthy too.
Someone said something about him asking to come off the bench as a spark. Haven't seen come from a sportswriter who covers the team though.
They talked about this at length on the radio pregame show yesterday. They were all pretty much in agreement that,if RHJ has the right mental makeup to come off the bench, it's best to get that spark of energy. They also pointed out that York might need the starter mindset to be effective (i.e. confidence).
"Wait. What is this?"

"It's the boiled rabbit with green sauce."

"I ordered a steak."

"Everyone orders the steak, sir. When people go out to enjoy a restaurant, they want to say, 'Mmmmmm. Steak. I like steak.' Nobody wants to say, 'What the fuck is this?'"

"Well then why don't you bring me my steak?"

"Because that would hurt the cook's confidence in his boiled rabbit with green sauce, making him less effective at making steak."
97cats

Post by 97cats »

All-American
gumby

Post by gumby »

KaibabKat wrote:351 Division 1 basketball teams.

One of them has their unquestioned best player sitting on the bench for the first four minutes of games.

Okey Dokey.
Eh, we had our best player(s) start last year. Slow starts.

In Rondae's first start last year (against Oregon), team started slow. He got his first bucket with 4:55 left in the first half. Scored 12 in second half. Close to what happened last night.

He could start, and we still stumble at the beginning. Then who becomes the spark plug?

You seem sour this year. Just not liking this hire?
Right where I want to be.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

Chicat wrote:
azcat34 wrote:Has Miller said why he isn't starting? It seems like a really strange thing to continue to bring him off the bench for York.

Looks healthy too.
Someone said something about him asking to come off the bench as a spark. Haven't seen come from a sportswriter who covers the team though.
didn't CSM say it in his press conference, or was it the announcers who said it? Either way, it was framed this way: "Sean Miller asked Rondae if he wanted to start or come off the bench and Rondae told him it was best for the team if he comes off the bench"

That quote alone makes him arguably my favorite Cat of all-time, not that he wasn't already entering that status anyway
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Whatever works. Jury's still out on York starting hot, as even if he nails his first three, we haven't seen a second in a row in many, many games.

Great shooter--in practice. Can't wait to see Rondae show York what effective perimeter shooting in a game can really be.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

gumby wrote: He could start, and we still stumble at the beginning. Then who becomes the spark plug?
Not only that, who is going to be the 3 point shooter if RHJ starts over York? Every team will pack the paint with no shooter on the court for Arizona.

Even more guaranteed slow start.
Reydituto

Post by Reydituto »

Chicat wrote:
HiCat wrote:BIG DUNK

The crowd was never louder than when Hollis-Jefferson threw down a dunk over the Anteaters center.

''I just knew I had him once I saw him turned slow,'' Hollis-Jefferson said. ''I went up and jumped, and from there the rest was history. I definitely told my teammates I was going to dunk on him, too.''

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketb ... 2-wildcats
And Rondae was fouled, but for some reason the refs gave the Irvine big man a ton of breaks. I thought Ndiaye ended that game with 9+ fouls.

Rondae was right: the rest was history. Game irrevocably tilted to UA's favor and for all intents & purposes ended on that dunk, we just didn't know it yet.

Agree on the foul that wasn't called. I thought 2 of the ones they called on him were ticky-tack compared to what they let him get away with, including that dunk. Then again, Stanley breathes on someone and it's apparently a foul.
Merkin wrote:
Chicat wrote:Ndiaye gets him with the left forearm, left hip, and slaps him in the face with his right hand. Refs decide to play on because . . . well, Pac-12...
Were they even PAC-12 refs? I thought the visiting team brought the refs. Or is that only with major conferences?
Maybe, but there is a lot of regional overlap with refs for both the Pac-12 and the Big West. Regardless, they were poor yesterday, and Padilla is usually poor throughout the season.
But in my book, you gotta get to White Castle before the weirdos show up!
Tonight he gets Happy-Go-Jackie on the big white guy like a donkey eating a waffle!
Sweet Sassy Molassey, get out the checkbook and pay Grandma for the rubdown!
Reydituto

Post by Reydituto »

Merkin wrote:
gumby wrote: He could start, and we still stumble at the beginning. Then who becomes the spark plug?
Not only that, who is going to be the 3 point shooter if RHJ starts over York? Every team will pack the paint with no shooter on the court for Arizona.

Even more guaranteed slow start.
I still think UA's best lineup is

TJMC
Stan
RHJ
BAsh
Zeus

but I'm coming around to the idea that as long as we see that lineup 20+ minutes a game, I don't really care if York starts.

Having said that, York needs to shoot well from outside and midrange to justify starting him. His defense is decent, as his system knowledge, desire to get better and repetitions are all showing up, but if he doesn't shoot well the alleged advantage of starting him over RHJ is moot (which I don't really buy into, there are 30+ other skills and talents required from a wing in CBB, and RHJ is better than York at almost all of the rest of them, but whatever).

I'd start RHJ if it were up to me, and endure a few slow starts in preseason if necessary for that 5 to find it's groove and for RHJ to become comfortable shooting from outside under game pressures. I also think York and Pitts could eventually be effective off the bench and provide additional outside shooting, but really, it's imcumbent on the other starters (TJ, Stan, BAsh) to stretch the floor as well.
But in my book, you gotta get to White Castle before the weirdos show up!
Tonight he gets Happy-Go-Jackie on the big white guy like a donkey eating a waffle!
Sweet Sassy Molassey, get out the checkbook and pay Grandma for the rubdown!
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

To me Rondae is one of those really special, and rare, players. It is agreeably very early in the year but just for kicks I took a look at the last three years and our star players "Bird" numbers through the first three games (pretty similar level of competition over those periods):

2012-13 - 20 - Solomon Hill
2013-14 - 25 - Aaron Gordon
2014-15 - 29 - Rondae Hollis-Jefferson

Derrick Williams was an extremely efficient scorer at 1.95 PPA his last year - probably one of the main reason he got drafted so high. After the first three games Rondae is at 2.09 PPA.

All American - you betcha
Lottery Pick - not much of a doubt
#1 Overall Pick - could possibly be if he keeps up this level of production

I just would like to see our very best player playing early - and playing a lot.

Gabe York (WS/40 = .143) starting and playing 26.0 mpg. I don't think that his torrid (4/13) three point shooting is keeping opposing coaches awake at night.

Stanley Johnson (WS/40 = .116) starting and playing 25.3 mpg. Leads the team in TO's and PF's.

Rondae Hollis-Jefferson (WS/40 = .373) coming off the bench and playing 24.0 mpg.

I'm sorry if it is not politically correct but something just does not compute.

What the heck, Maui should be lots of fun. Very good vs. possibly great Wildcat team will likely be determined on 12/6 in McKale.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

KaibabKat wrote:To me Rondae is one of those really special, and rare, players. It is agreeably very early in the year but just for kicks I took a look at the last three years and our star players "Bird" numbers through the first three games (pretty similar level of competition over those periods):

Derrick Williams was an extremely efficient scorer at 1.95 PPA his last year - probably one of the main reason he got drafted so high. After the first three games Rondae is at 2.09 PPA.

I just would like to see our very best player playing early - and playing a lot.

Gabe York (WS/40 = .143) starting and playing 26.0 mpg. I don't think that his torrid (4/13) three point shooting is keeping opposing coaches awake at night.

Stanley Johnson (WS/40 = .116) starting and playing 25.3 mpg. Leads the team in TO's and PF's.

Rondae Hollis-Jefferson (WS/40 = .373) coming off the bench and playing 24.0 mpg.

What the heck, Maui should be lots of fun. Very good vs. possibly great Wildcat team will likely be determined on 12/6 in McKale.
Why does any of that matter if RHJ gets the same amount of minutes he would if he started?
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Miller has alluded to RHJ being really unselfish and that's why he can come off the bench. UADevil says the radio guys mentioned that York needs to start in order to be most effective. It rings true, and as a fan, I admit to being a lit put off by a less impactful player's personal need to be a starter. The same player who, as a freshman, tweeted his displeasure at not playing a big role on the team before he earned it, and the same player who, as a sophomore given a starter's role after Ashley went down, blew everyone's trust in the final minute of the Elite Eight game by deciding to shoot a midrange shot that he was hitting at 5 % (!) throughout the season instead of running the play that Miller called. I'm not seeing it, and it's by biggest challenge to understand from my couch. He's a polarizing player, so it's no surprise that I feel this uncharacteristically distrustful of a player who has such a big role on the team I live and die by in my living and dying room.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

97cats

Post by 97cats »

KaibabKat wrote:To me Rondae is one of those really special, and rare, players. It is agreeably very early in the year but just for kicks I took a look at the last three years and our star players "Bird" numbers through the first three games (pretty similar level of competition over those periods):

thank you for this post -- i will be front and center on 12/6 to see with my own two eyes in person
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Longhorned wrote:Miller has alluded to RHJ being really unselfish and that's why he can come off the bench. UADevil says the radio guys mentioned that York needs to start in order to be most effective. It rings true, and as a fan, I admit to being a lit put off by a less impactful player's personal need to be a starter. The same player who, as a freshman, tweeted his displeasure at not playing a big role on the team before he earned it, and the same player who, as a sophomore given a starter's role after Ashley went down, blew everyone's trust in the final minute of the Elite Eight game by deciding to shoot a midrange shot that he was hitting at 5 % (!) throughout the season instead of running the play that Miller called. I'm not seeing it, and it's by biggest challenge to understand from my couch. He's a polarizing player, so it's no surprise that I feel this uncharacteristically distrustful of a player who has such a big role on the team I live and die by in my living and dying room.
RHJ should be starting. If York is too flat coming off the bench, then give his minutes to Pitts. With RHJ starting, perhaps there will be less "slow" starts. RHJ may be the best player on this team and possible lottery pick; it is absurd that he is coming off the bench. I get the reasons (better for York, RHJ is unselfish and a true team player, he brings instant energy and presence the moment substitutions occur, etc), but he should on the floor right from the start.
gumby

Post by gumby »

If he starts, we'd have to argue about something else.

If you're going to repeal this, what do we replace it with? And would it be better?
Catstatic

Post by Catstatic »

RHJ starting is fine if Ashley becomes more of a focus on the offensive end. I am convinced the Cats would become very efficient if the offense flowed through him. As the offense is now, we need a shooter out there in the starting 5. York or Pitts.

Go Cats!!
azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

midnightx wrote:
Longhorned wrote:Miller has alluded to RHJ being really unselfish and that's why he can come off the bench. UADevil says the radio guys mentioned that York needs to start in order to be most effective. It rings true, and as a fan, I admit to being a lit put off by a less impactful player's personal need to be a starter. The same player who, as a freshman, tweeted his displeasure at not playing a big role on the team before he earned it, and the same player who, as a sophomore given a starter's role after Ashley went down, blew everyone's trust in the final minute of the Elite Eight game by deciding to shoot a midrange shot that he was hitting at 5 % (!) throughout the season instead of running the play that Miller called. I'm not seeing it, and it's by biggest challenge to understand from my couch. He's a polarizing player, so it's no surprise that I feel this uncharacteristically distrustful of a player who has such a big role on the team I live and die by in my living and dying room.
RHJ should be starting. If York is too flat coming off the bench, then give his minutes to Pitts. With RHJ starting, perhaps there will be less "slow" starts. RHJ may be the best player on this team and possible lottery pick; it is absurd that he is coming off the bench. I get the reasons (better for York, RHJ is unselfish and a true team player, he brings instant energy and presence the moment substitutions occur, etc), but he should on the floor right from the start.
This 100%.

York should be making concessions for RHJ and the better of the team, not the other way around.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Rondae needs more minutes. Spark off the bench okay, but keep him on the floor longer.
RiseAndFire

Post by RiseAndFire »

HiCat wrote:Rondae needs more minutes. Spark off the bench okay, but keep him on the floor longer.
Spark off the bench - not OK

I realize we have more 3pt shooting (ostensibly) with York but this is madness starting him over RHJ! I thought Rondae shot 15,000 jumpers this offseason? We start slow every damn game! There will be plenty of teams that will start out shooting hot against us, and those games will probably end up as losses, with these slow ass starts

:idea: Start RHJ
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

RiseAndFire wrote:
HiCat wrote:Rondae needs more minutes. Spark off the bench okay, but keep him on the floor longer.
Spark off the bench - not OK

I realize we have more 3pt shooting (ostensibly) with York but this is madness starting him over RHJ! I thought Rondae shot 15,000 jumpers this offseason? We start slow every damn game! There will be plenty of teams that will start out shooting hot against us, and those games will probably end up as losses, with these slow ass starts

:idea: Start RHJ
Thought I heard during the telecast last night that RHJ asked to come off the bench for the betterment of the team. Not sure if that is true or not but it might explain what's going on.

BTW, Rondae's 3 pt stroke looked pretty good to start the second half. :D
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

This could start a whole new trend. Maybe the Warriors would be better if Curry came off the bench. LeBron for sixth man of the year!
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

I don't see anything wrong with RHJ being our Terry or Ginobili. I like the heavy artillery off the bench concept. As long as he's getting his minutes and playing at the end of games and we're winning (which we are) then who gives a fuck..I don't, Miller doesn't. And if Miller decides to start RHJ later in he season that's cool too. It's really not a big deal.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I am going to seriously shed a tear the moment Rondae declares.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Replace York w/ Pitts
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

Alieberman wrote:I am going to seriously shed a tear the moment Rondae declares.
Me too. He's awesome. Already one of my favorite Cats ever. He'll be a top-5 pick this year and AA I think. He's gonna make plays throughout the season that'll really garner him some widespread national attention.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

KaibabKat wrote:351 Division 1 basketball teams.

Okey Dokey.

He did start the second half over York at 97Cats suggestion to Miller, and look how well they came out playing.

Until York came back in.

No idea why York gets so many minutes. It's not his defense.
WildcatLouis

Post by WildcatLouis »

Main Event wrote:Replace York w/ Pitts
I am really starting to feel the same way. I trust Miller and I don't doubt that York has shown progress in practice, but at some point that needs to translate to real games. He cannot be a "sharpshooter" that cannot shoot. He serves no purpose unless he is consistently knocking down threes. That is he sole job and yet he is currently shooting 29% from beyond the arc! If that continues much longer I would be love to see Pitts and PJC take more of York's minutes.
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

If what we really, really need is a spark plug off the bench then why not start Parker and let TJ be the sixth man?
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

KaibabKat wrote:If what we really, really need is a spark plug off the bench then why not start Parker and let TJ be the sixth man?
I think the question we need to be asking is "WWJPD?"

He's paid more than Miller... maybe Sean could call and ask him for some advice.
Catstatic

Post by Catstatic »

Pitts is our best shooter. Ristic is our best low post option ... and it's not really close. If Victor becomes the beast on the boards I think he can be it would really help this team. PJC is solid for a first year player. And RHJ coming off the bench? I'll bet it is close to a toss-up when 1st team takes on 2nd team.

We lose almost nothing going to the bench. Here's hoping Miller lets these guys play all year long.

Go Cats!!
gumby

Post by gumby »

As long as it's the same minutes, this is a technicality. He gives us the same dimension regardless. Far more concerned with the overall shooting on a team that isn't taking bad shots. Beginning to think we may need to run some PJC and McConnell at the same time. Gives us two guys who can break down the defense on the perimeter. And PJC shows an ability to hit open shots.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

gumby wrote:As long as it's the same minutes, this is a technicality. He gives us the same dimension regardless. Far more concerned with the overall shooting on a team that isn't taking bad shots. Beginning to think we may need to run some PJC and McConnell at the same time. Gives us two guys who can break down the defense on the perimeter. And PJC shows an ability to hit open shots.

Exactly this. For those so adamant that RHJ starts it seems to be a symbolic thing I guess. He'll get the minutes. I don't give a shit who starts.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

#truth
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Did I just read that Ritic is out best low post option?!??

Guys, let's not post when drunk.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

http://allsportstucson.com/2014/11/24/a ... er-ranked/
“You can ask me the same question every game and you can ask me at halftime and after the game, tomorrow you can ask me it again, I’m going to give you the same answer,” Miller said. “If you want to make a huge deal of who starts, you can keep doing it. But it’s more about who plays well.

“I’ve already gone on record once, five, ten, fifteen times that the reason we’re not starting Rondae Hollis‑Jefferson has nothing to do with anything he does. He’s clearly a very, very talented player. We just feel that him entering the game at the 17‑minute mark helps us be the best team we can be. Now having answered that, I’ll answer it again tomorrow, if you want. But I would say that we’ll probably start the same lineup tomorrow that we started today.”
I think the "why isn't RHJ starting" horse has been beaten to death.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Katzenfreund

Post by Katzenfreund »

Last edited by Katzenfreund on Thu May 07, 2015 4:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Catstatic

Post by Catstatic »

Olsondogg wrote:Did I just read that Ritic is out best low post option?!??

Ristic is almost automatic in the low post. People were amazed how easily he scored on Zeus in the Red/Blue game. That was no fluke, and Zeus is one hell of a defender in the post. Watch how easily Ristic scores when teams cover him man-to-man. He will continue to improve as will his passing out of the low post when guys drop to help. Then we will get wide open 3's or guys cutting to the rim.

Next best post option is Ashley. Zeus is 3rd for now, though we are all hoping he becomes a greater threat on the block.

Go Cats!!
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

3goggles wrote:
#truth
Don't think he can. Like Mayes, he will give York every benefit of the doubt for sticking with the program. Even if it hurts. There's that faith it will get better.

Pitts has to really force the issue for that to happen. We'd see Rondae starting before Pitts replaced York in the starting rot.
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

Katzenfreund wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:Did I just read that Ristic is out̶r best low post option?!??

Sure, you first.
Ristic is making a case. He just looks more confident out there. Zeus looks unsure so far, like he's either pressing or he can't feel his role yet.
WildcatLouis

Post by WildcatLouis »

Bosy Billups wrote:
3goggles wrote:
#truth
Don't think he can. Like Mayes, he will give York every benefit of the doubt for sticking with the program. Even if it hurts. There's that faith it will get better.

Pitts has to really force the issue for that to happen. We'd see Rondae starting before Pitts replaced York in the starting rot.
Miller only went to Mayes out of absolute necessity to spell someone for a couple of minutes before a media timeout. By his senior season he was playing very few minutes, and mostly in games that were under control. I'd be willing to bet that NJ played more minutes at the point than Mayes the last couple of years.

I am really hoping that Pitts starts to assert himself more on the offensive side so as to force Miller's hand. I'm not sure how much longer we can just hope that it suddenly clicks for York. He is getting wide open looks and is still not knocking anything down. He has been given a great opportunity - starting in place of someone who is waaayyy more talented - but so far he is not rising to the occasion.
Coop Cat

Post by Coop Cat »

Chad Ford:
Arizona is the main attraction here in Maui. There are four players on the Wildcats who are potential first-round prospects. How have they fared?

Rondae Hollis-Jefferson was mentioned as a possible late lottery to mid-first round pick last year before deciding to return for his sophomore season. He's coming off the bench for Arizona this year, but his impact has been felt all over the court, especially on the defensive end. Against Kansas State on Tuesday, Hollis-Jefferson completely locked down Marcus Foster in the second half. He's a terrific athlete and versatile. The only issue, and it's a major one, is the lack of a credible jump shot. He's shooting a crazy 94 percent at the rim this year, but only 34 percent from everywhere else on the floor. He does enough to get him drafted as a defensive stopper, but unless that jumper starts falling it will be tough for him to crack the lottery.
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft201 ... tockWatch_
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Jay Williams and Seth Greenburg left RHJ off there top-5 Dunkers in the NCAA! Yum I'll take RHJ over anybody!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

3goggles wrote:Jay Williams and Seth Greenburg left RHJ off there top-5 Dunkers in the NCAA! Yum I'll take RHJ over anybody!
No one takes either of those idiots seriously. If Jay Will was smart enough to wear a motorcycle helmet and Seth could coach his teams into the top 40, both of them would probably have different careers right now.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azpatnca

Post by azpatnca »

RHJ reminds me of Arenas. I keep saying pass it to Arenas. Those 2-1s are way to often 1-1s. Some Cat's looking like Jahii Carson's on the fast breaks. Pass it to Gil, I mean Rondae!
They'll get it sooner or later.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Starting games might not be in the cards for Hollis-Jefferson right now, but Arizona might have found a solution to its slow-starting offense this season as York continues to improve within the starting lineup. Some lineups and rotations that Miller is using now could be used to help Arizona win games in Pac-12 play and deep into March. All because a future NBA first-round pick is okay with giving up minutes and the spotlight for the good of the team — particularly during one of the season’s marquee events.

It remains to be seen how this Arizona lineup change will unfold throughout the season, but rest assured, if Hollis-Jefferson isn’t starting the game on the floor, he’ll be seeing minutes at the end when the game really counts.

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports. ... -long-run/
gumby

Post by gumby »

It's a scandal. So I guess the football stadium did the Rondae shimmy.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Rondae!

"He's such a great defensive player" CSM

http://tucson.com/online/video/more-spo ... 966c3.html
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

My wife watching Rondae play: "He should be on the floor for every minute of every game"
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong