Tommy Lloyd

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Beachcat97

Re: Arizona Head Coach Tommy Lloyd

Post by Beachcat97 »

Anyone heard anything about Lloyd's introductory press conference? Maybe not till tomorrow?
RawleArenas

Post by RawleArenas »

Best case scenario Nate Oats: calm, steady, upward trajectory.

Worst case, Mike Hopkins. Burns bright for a couple of years, but doesn't show the grit or savvy to run a high major program.

I hope it's the former.
FWIW, Miller would have had this team rockin' and rollin. We would be looking at a deep run in the tourney as well as a strong class for next year. I wish the best for Lloyd, but am still shell shocked about how Miller's job was handled.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

I was not ok with how the whole thing went down, but I am excited for a more up tempo style of ball.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

BBQ wildcat wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:29 pm I have never before been less enthused about UA's two major sports. Two coaches without a single win as a head coach. And, just for the shitty way that Sean Miller was treated, I hope both of Robbins's hand picked coaches fail miserably. Then maybe UA can start anew with a new prez and new AD who will be able to build us back better.
This is a strange take. Hope we lose so we can be in a position to get somebody who will win? Ok.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
UAEebs86

Re: Tommy Lloyd

Post by UAEebs86 »

Olsondogg wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:56 pm You join that board just to read winger and SHB cause they didn’t come here.
I like Winger and SHB, but they both signed up here and then decided we weren't worth their time.

Not paying money for their takes.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

UAEebs86 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:40 pm
Olsondogg wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:56 pm You join that board just to read winger and SHB cause they didn’t come here.
I like Winger and SHB, but they both signed up here and then decided we weren't worth their time.

Not paying money for their takes.
And both of them have commented on these boards about the general IQ of posters being so much higher here... and yet they have transitioned fully over there.... not sure what that says about them
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Hahaha showing those true colors! Wishing players transfer. Hoping the coach fails.

Well, for those fans that said they're leaving the Arizona family if (and then when) Miller was fired I'd like to take a moment to say we had a good ride. We all understand the only constant in this world is change and we wish you luck in your future college sports fan endeavors, for whichever teams you might end up transferring your allegiance to.

You will be missed.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Beachcat97 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:32 pm Anyone heard anything about Lloyd's introductory press conference? Maybe not till tomorrow?
Heard he’s flying in on Sunday for a presser.
TheGreatCatsby

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

I just like the open to the public nature of this board without any overlords. And agree that old board goazcats was awesome, losing that hurt.

Think Lloyd can put together a real incredible assistant coaching staff, looks like he'll pull that assistant from Baylor and also fill out with former players/coaches. Gonzaga played beautiful offensive basketball this year, looking forward to us potentially implementing some of that.

No reason for anybody to leave with this hire. He's known as a developmental coach, and Tubelis, Kriisa and Mathurin will have lots to gain by returning getting them more potentially NBA ready. Their spots in the starting lineup on a P5 team are theirs to lose, why give that up.
Last edited by TheGreatCatsby on Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

SCCats wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:43 pm Hahaha showing those true colors! Wishing players transfer. Hoping the coach fails.

Well, for those fans that said they're leaving the Arizona family if (and then when) Miller was fired I'd like to take a moment to say we had a good ride. We all understand the only constant in this world is change and we wish you luck in your future college sports fan endeavors, for whichever teams you might end up transferring your allegiance to.

You will be missed.
There he is!

Thought you might have forgotten where to find this particular forum after you got your wish and then Robbins turned it into an embarrassing clusterfuck.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azpatnca

Post by azpatnca »

This place definitely reminds me of a neighborhood pub. we don't all have to agree or even like eachother, but we can drink and talk our shit. I never lived in London or Dublin, but I imagine it's something like this. The old "public house" style pubs, anyway.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Here is hoping that all the kids stay and develop.

Here is hoping CTL can keep these kids around and win some games!!! I wish them all the best and am looking forward to watching these games and hearing what you all have to say about it.

Welcome to arizona coach!!!
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

SCCats wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:43 pm Hahaha showing those true colors! Wishing players transfer. Hoping the coach fails.

You will be missed.
Who are you talking to?

And you've been openly rooting against Miller for years, so I wouldn't cast a ton of first stones.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Beachcat97 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:32 pm Anyone heard anything about Lloyd's introductory press conference? Maybe not till tomorrow?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

azpatnca wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:54 pm This place definitely reminds me of a neighborhood pub. we don't all have to agree or even like eachother, but we can drink and talk our shit. I never lived in London or Dublin, but I imagine it's something like this. The old "public house" style pubs, anyway.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Heroin would have made the last four years more bearable
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

YoDeFoe wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:58 pm
He didn’t misspell Tucson so he’s off to a good start.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Well finally here we are. Hated to see Miller go but it is what it is.

Ready for the new chapter so I am going to sit back and let it unfold. Hopefully Kerr stays as I want to see what this group can do together. Selfishly I hope they stay and go deep and it’s Lloyd that took Miller’s players and made a run.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

His son is plays at GCU, so in the end this made too much sense tbh
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Dear Students and Colleagues,
I am honored to announce to you all that Tommy Lloyd will be our next head men’s basketball coach. Tommy has spent two decades helping build Gonzaga into one of the nation’s elite programs and has established himself as an extraordinary leader in all facets of coaching. He is a dynamic recruiter, a skillful tactician on the court and an exceptional mentor in developing student-athletes on and off the court.

In his 20 seasons as a member of Mark Few’s coaching staff at Gonzaga, Tommy helped guide the Zags to unprecedented heights while developing numerous NBA Draft picks. Gonzaga has posted a winning percentage of 84.1 percent since the 2001-02 seasons, won a total of 34 conference championships and qualified for the NCAA Tournament in each of those years, including four Sweet 16’s, two Elite Eights and a pair of National Championship appearances.

During Coach Lloyd’s tenure in Spokane, Gonzaga produced 19 All-Americans, 15 WCC Players of the Year and a dozen NBA Draft picks, which include four first-round selections since 2016.

As I spoke with Tommy during this process, it became clear to me that he has the drive, experience, and championship pedigree to guide our program to its future as a prominent national program. His passion for developing student-athletes for success on and off the court as well as life beyond basketball rivals his appreciation for the legacy of Arizona Basketball and the role it plays in our Southern Arizona community.

“I am extremely grateful to President Robbins and Dave Heeke for the incredible opportunity to lead one of the country’s most storied men’s basketball programs,” said Lloyd. “While there are certainly potential obstacles ahead for our program, I embrace the challenge as we will build on the foundation in place to compete for PAC-12 and national championships. I know how much Arizona Basketball means to the institution, its fans, its community and the state, and I cannot wait to get started. That works begin now. My family and I are excited to settle in Tucson and begin a new chapter.”

We will hold a press conference for Coach Lloyd at 1:30 p.m. (MST) on Thursday, April 15 and will stream the ceremony on Arizona Athletics’ Facebook page.

Please join me in welcoming to the Wildcat Family Coach Lloyd, his wife, Chanelle, and their three children, Liam, Sophia Marie and Maria Alexis.

Bear Down and Go Cats!

Dave Heeke

Vice President and Director of Athletics
The University of Arizona
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

azpatnca wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:54 pm This place definitely reminds me of a neighborhood pub. we don't all have to agree or even like eachother, but we can drink and talk our shit. I never lived in London or Dublin, but I imagine it's something like this. The old "public house" style pubs, anyway.
The average night out after the pub

EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Fuck you Heeke.

Welcome to Tucson Coach Lloyd.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Five year deal.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Who did he have to borrow that hat from?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Longhorned wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:06 pm Dave Heeke

Vice President and Director of Athletics
The University of Arizona
Suck it. BTW, still zero response from Heeke to the email I sent a week ago, so maybe I'll take this personally.
NickyBCats

Post by NickyBCats »

Kerr in the portal and Ben M and Koloko are likely to join him here soon. Tommy already has his work cut out.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

NickyBCats wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:15 pm Kerr in the portal and Ben M and Koloko are likely to join him here soon. Tommy already has his work cut out.
Is this just careless speculation or do you have a source?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

gronk4heisman wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:18 pm
NickyBCats wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:15 pm Kerr in the portal and Ben M and Koloko are likely to join him here soon. Tommy already has his work cut out.
Is this just careless speculation or do you have a source?
Benn's name has been out there for a while with UCLA as a likely target. Koloko seemed fairly team Miller and so was Kerr.

None are that surprising. Tubelis was very pro-Miller, so I wouldn't be sure he's not on the way too.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:57 pm

You will be missed.
Who are you talking to?
Hahaha.

Those people who said all that bullshit damn well know who they are.
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

It wouldn’t surprise me as these guys signed on to play for Miller. This is a particularly tough situation to come into with players not having to sit out to transfer. Lloyd has his work cut out for him but he has a good reputation as a recruiter so we will see what happens.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

YoDeFoe wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:59 pm Heroin would have made the last four years more bearable
Word.
azpatnca

Post by azpatnca »

Well this to me is a very big chapter in UA history. One time is a fluke. Hey, you were just lucky to have Lute. Arizona isn't a basketball powerhouse without him. He should have been at UCLA or Kentucky or Kansas, but for whatever reason the crazy old man stayed there and put you on the map. Enjoy it, because soon you'll be history.

Two times is a coincidence. Okay, you did alright with Miller, and annoyingly your still around, but you don't deserve it. We're going to pay our refs in vacations to cheat against you because you don't belong and to prove it we're going to destroy Sean Miller over something he didn't do.

But if we can win big with the next guy, three times is a trend. It becomes just a historic fact that Arizona is always in the mix. They're a program that hires winners and commands attention. We'll be going on 50 years of tradition etc. Etc.

If in 2030 were still what I think we are, I'll be pretty damn happy. So here's hoping all the best of luck to the new guy. No pressure. ;)
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

azpatnca wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:28 pm Well this to me is a very big chapter in UA history. One time is a fluke. Hey, you were just lucky to have Lute. Arizona isn't a basketball powerhouse without him. He should have been at UCLA or Kentucky or Kansas, but for whatever reason the crazy old man stayed there and put you on the map. Enjoy it, because soon you'll be history.

Two times is a coincidence. Okay, you did alright with Miller, and annoyingly your still around, but you don't deserve it. We're going to pay our refs in vacations to cheat against you because you don't belong and to prove it we're going to destroy Sean Miller over something he didn't do.

But if we can win big with the next guy, three times is a trend. It becomes just a historic fact that Arizona is always in the mix. They're a program that hires winners and commands attention. We'll be going on 50 years of tradition etc. Etc.

If in 2030 were still what I think we are, I'll be pretty damn happy. So here's hoping all the best of luck to the new guy. No pressure. ;)
Stop giving me sunshine when all I can remember is darkness.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Cactus logo hat is a good start.

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
BeardownZonaZona

Post by BeardownZonaZona »

Mathurin lookout time
I said what I said and I mean it.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

UAEebs86 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:32 pm Cactus logo hat is a good start.

There are quite a few things wrong with that photo. But I want to start by saying I hope to hell that isn’t the “dream house” he built for his wife . . . because if it is, I have even more questions about this guy than I did before we were given that little insight into his dream world.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I don’t like that logo. Never have.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Who let that creepy Mr Noodle looking mother fucker in the left into his house. That shows bad judgement already.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

ByJoveByJingle wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:42 pm

There are quite a few things wrong with that photo. But I want to start by saying I hope to hell that isn’t the “dream house” he built for his wife . . . because if it is, I have even more questions about this guy than I did before we were given that little insight into his dream world.
$ goes a long way in the Spokane Valley housing market, and I know firsthand as we had a house in Liberty Lake facing two golf courses and the mountains. The problem is that for half the fucking year the wind blows over gray snow and when that isn't happening the air smells like rancid chicken fat simmering in a reduction sauce of ambient racism. If "the house" is any factor in the Lloyd family quality of life Tucson will render that Eastern Washington abode a feeble flaccid memory. Welcome to the New World coach; breathe free the good air, go forth and do your best.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
azpatnca

Post by azpatnca »

I appreciate you posting the twits so I don't have to go into the twitter hole.
SandwichGuy

Post by SandwichGuy »

azgreg wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:31 pm What are we going to call him? CTL doesn't sound near as good as CSM.
TMFL!
JW_in_Boston

Post by JW_in_Boston »

I'm good with the hire and hope he has great success, like FFs and a natty. BUT, I'm worried for a silly reason. Dude just has that look of a good ol boy that uses connections to make up for hard work. He has a really punchable face, like the most annoying frat boy 20 years later. But I wouldn't have thought that Miller would have brought scandal our way (without much to show for it) and he looks like the good boy that works harder than everyone to succeed. So who knows. But if Tommy really is Tommy boy, oh sh!t!
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

F*** the whole the team is looking to bounce. This was my biggest fear. Good job Robbins!
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

azgreg wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:31 pm What are we going to call him? CTL doesn't sound near as good as CSM.
Tommy two-names

Because he has two first names
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

If this is a bad team next year you 100% have to fire Robbins and Heeke. They had a top 15 team ready to return and they blew it up.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

UofAlum05 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:09 pm If this is a bad team next year you 100% have to fire Robbins and Heeke. They had a top 15 team ready to return and they blew it up.
100%, except I'd do it now. They hired two 0-0 coaches and Kevin Sumlin. Ain't nothing to hang on to.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Welcome Coach Lloyd and Bear Down!

No thanks to Heeke and Robbins they gotta go.

looking forward to some uptempo creative play.

That should keep some of our firepower...let the players play.