let's talk '21

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ChooChooCat

Re: let's talk '21

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 9:05 am
As I posted above, that's pretty much a function of splitting minutes with Koloko. Minute for minute, Brown was our most productive big scoring wise, even more than Tubelis.
Would you start him over Tubelis or next to him? Because if your answer is no then this was always going to be the final outcome.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

BeardownZonaZona wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 9:00 am Seeing a lot of speculation on Twitter and Kentucky boards that they're getting CJ Fredrick today. I would think that'd help us. Throw in them likely getting Mintz back because he's not an NBA level talent and ya got two lead guards at Kentucky with experience. I'm really hoping that them getting Fredrick helps us out a ton
Frederick has been going to Kentucky well before he even entered the portal. This is NBA free agency without the tampering rules.
BeardownZonaZona

Post by BeardownZonaZona »

Someone told me the euro prospect should be committing this week. Anyone else hear that? Will be a big get. Reminds me a lot of a Hachimura type prospect. A guy who probably won't play at all as a freshman but garbage time, but by year 2 or 3, he'll be a stud
I said what I said and I mean it.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

BeardownZonaZona wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 9:55 am Someone told me the euro prospect should be committing this week. Anyone else hear that? Will be a big get. Reminds me a lot of a Hachimura type prospect. A guy who probably won't play at all as a freshman but garbage time, but by year 2 or 3, he'll be a stud
I'm surprised he hasn't publicly committed already.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

BeardownZonaZona wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 9:55 am Someone told me the euro prospect should be committing this week. Anyone else hear that? Will be a big get. Reminds me a lot of a Hachimura type prospect. A guy who probably won't play at all as a freshman but garbage time, but by year 2 or 3, he'll be a stud
So a euro Alex Barcello?
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

ChooChooCat wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 7:06 am
TheCat wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 7:00 am
zonagrad wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 9:09 pm
ChooChooCat wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 5:29 pm Land Kaluma and you won’t give two shits about Jordan Brown.
Agree. Guys like Brown are a dime a dozen in college basketball. You certainly don't want him to be the focus of your roster -- he could be a good role player. And that's exactly what Miller figured out in a short amount of time as the season progressed. In October Brown was winning the coveted Gold Jersey. By December, Brown was coming off the bench. Any Arizona team where he was getting 20+ minutes is not an Arizona team that's going places.
Guys that score 10 a game in a major 5 conference are not a dime a dozen. Fouled way to much but was a good player.
In conference games he scored in double figures a total of 5 times out of 20 games. He scored in double figures 3 other times, which were against Grambling, NAU, and Montana.
This is most telling -- he struggled against really good teams. Tip of the hat for his game at USC. But that was outside his norm. He's the type of big man you'd see doing work on those crappy Wazzu teams coached by Ernie Kent. Yes, he'd fill the box score with respectable numbers. But you'd also beat Wazzu by 30 at McKale and 15 in the Paloose.
BeardownZonaZona

Once he develops a three point shot and adds a little bit of weight, he's going to be very good
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

RondaeShimmy wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 10:38 am
So a euro Alex Barcello?
Lol this guy isn't known as a 3 point shooter at all
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 9:25 am
As I posted above, that's pretty much a function of splitting minutes with Koloko. Minute for minute, Brown was our most productive big scoring wise, even more than Tubelis.
Would you start him over Tubelis or next to him? Because if your answer is no then this was always going to be the final outcome.
I'm not trying to duck the question, but I don't think it's the operative question with last year's lineup or this incoming year's lineup.

Miller initially played Koloko and Brown together. That stopped game 1 of Pac play where Stanford picked us apart by spreading the floor and exploiting the fact we had 2 players who had trouble covering large amounts of ground in recovery.

He could play alongside Tubelis, but Tubelis's help/recovery was one of his weaker points. So, I hesitate to put lineup limitations on Brown alone because I think he'd be fine paired with another big who was better at help/rotation than Koloko or Tubelis. Really, all three are limited in that area.

Going forward, Ballo is even more limited in terms of his ability to cover ground in help and recovery. So the calculus gets even tougher for Brown because Ballo eats some minutes, but poses even tougher problems for Brown to play alongside.

If I ruled the world, that's why my answer would be more like don't bring Ballo in, keep Brown and pursue Kaluma. Brown is a significantly better version of Ballo, IMO.

I am no insider and have no idea if that is possible from a team perspective, it's just the best lineup solution. Which is why I think Miller was on the right track keeping Brown and adding Aiken. Aiken was the sort of more agile guy that would pair well with Brown and Koloko.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 10:50 am
ChooChooCat wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 9:25 am
I'm not trying to duck the question, but I don't think it's the operative question with last year's lineup or this incoming year's lineup.

Miller initially played Koloko and Brown together. That stopped game 1 of Pac play where Stanford picked us apart by spreading the floor and exploiting the fact we had 2 players who had trouble covering large amounts of ground in recovery.

He could play alongside Tubelis, but Tubelis's help/recovery was one of his weaker points. So, I hesitate to put lineup limitations on Brown alone because I think he'd be fine paired with another big who was better at help/rotation than Koloko or Tubelis. Really, all three are limited in that area.

Going forward, Ballo is even more limited in terms of his ability to cover ground in help and recovery. So the calculus gets even tougher for Brown because Ballo eats some minutes, but poses even tougher problems for Brown to play alongside.

If I ruled the world, that's why my answer would be more like don't bring Ballo in, keep Brown and pursue Kaluma. Brown is a significantly better version of Ballo, IMO.

I am no insider and have no idea if that is possible from a team perspective, it's just the best lineup solution. Which is why I think Miller was on the right track keeping Brown and adding Aiken. Aiken was the sort of more agile guy that would pair well with Brown and Koloko.
If you bring Kaluma in you're forcing Brown out regardless. Your point of Ballo is completely null and void. He's not the problem in this scenario.

Would you rather have an athletic PF who can defend 3s, athletic 4s, and small ball 5s with an developing offensive game (both in and out) or would you prefer Jordan Brown's quite frankly limited offense and zero defense both for short term and long term? Tough call.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 10:58 am
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 10:50 am I'm not trying to duck the question, but I don't think it's the operative question with last year's lineup or this incoming year's lineup.

If you bring Kaluma in you're forcing Brown out regardless. Your point of Ballo is completely null and void. He's not the problem in this scenario.

Would you rather have an athletic PF who can defend 3s, athletic 4s, and small ball 5s with an developing offensive game (both in and out) or would you prefer Jordan Brown's quite frankly limited offense and zero defense both for short term and long term? Tough call.
I don't claim any insider status about how Kaluma forces Brown out.

That said, I don't feel like I get the question. Do I prefer an athletic 4 or a 5? Why not fill both positions? Kaluma is a 4 and frankly closer to a 3 than he is a 5. Brown's a 5.

You've posted insider info, and I fully admit I do not have that. From a pure lineup and fit perspective, Kaluma and Brown fill two substantially different roles. They don't cancel each other out and could easily play alongside each other.

That's my point. I disagree on zero D with Brown, but I won't rehash block %, win shares, etc. Mainly, I'm saying Brown plus Kaluma with no Ballo is the best combo of talent and scholarship space.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 11:11 am
ChooChooCat wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 10:58 am
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 10:50 am I'm not trying to duck the question, but I don't think it's the operative question with last year's lineup or this incoming year's lineup.

I don't claim any insider status about how Kaluma forces Brown out.

That said, I don't feel like I get the question. Do I prefer an athletic 4 or a 5? Why not fill both positions? Kaluma is a 4 and frankly closer to a 3 than he is a 5. Brown's a 5.

You've posted insider info, and I fully admit I do not have that. From a pure lineup and fit perspective, Kaluma and Brown fill two substantially different roles. They don't cancel each other out and could easily play alongside each other.

That's my point. I disagree on zero D with Brown, but I won't rehash block %, win shares, etc. Mainly, I'm saying Brown plus Kaluma with no Ballo is the best combo of talent and scholarship space.
Kaluma forces Brown out, because he prevents Brown from getting more minutes than he did last year, which is what he wants and is why he's transferring.

Kaluma - 3/4/small 5
Tubelis - 4/5
Brown - 4/5
Koloko - 5
Ballo - 5

The 5 is overfilled and it was even before Ballo ever committed. Kaluma takes the remaining minutes at the 4 spot that Brown could've possibly got. Kaluma is a 4 man, he can give you minutes at the 3, but his game at this point in time is best suited at the 4. From a pure lineup perspective Brown plays a position that 3 other guys on roster already can and would be frankly out of position at the other position he could possibly play if we're being honest (at least for modern basketball). Kaluma fills a hole we didn't have filled. Brown adds further to a clogging.

Brown is dog shit at D. There's a reason he was benched for a guy that provided zero offense and it had every thing to do with how bad at defense he was, especially god forbid at the 4 spot. Brown provided a spec of value, I don't deny that, but my god is his departure being so overblown by some people. Tubelis is so far superior to Brown and you don't want to have to play Brown at the 4. This is what it boils down to.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Choo, I'll leave it here.

I have no idea about Brown's desires, so I won't contest any points there or what would or would not be necessary to retain him.

If it was possible to retain Brown, I just wouldn't have added Ballo. I'm not high on Ballo at all from an eye test or metrics perspective. To me, he offers value only if we have no one else. Even if it didn't guarantee Brown's return, I still don't really see it in Ballo.

We'll have to agree to disagree on Brown's D. The most I'll say is I've invested time in watching Brown and in looking at available metrics to form an opinion. Feel free to disagree with my opinion, that's what message boards are for. The most I put out is my opinion represents my best judgment and that I've put enough research time I don't think I'm talking out of my ass.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Can we all admit that Miller's gold practice jersey didn't mean anything.

Brown won a bunch of them, totally useless.

Brown is like Jeter, if he's a main contributor on your team, you're in trouble.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 11:42 am Choo, I'll leave it here.

I have no idea about Brown's desires, so I won't contest any points there or what would or would not be necessary to retain him.

If it was possible to retain Brown, I just wouldn't have added Ballo. I'm not high on Ballo at all from an eye test or metrics perspective. To me, he offers value only if we have no one else. Even if it didn't guarantee Brown's return, I still don't really see it in Ballo.

We'll have to agree to disagree on Brown's D. The most I'll say is I've invested time in watching Brown and in looking at available metrics to form an opinion. Feel free to disagree with my opinion, that's what message boards are for. The most I put out is my opinion represents my best judgment and that I've put enough research time I don't think I'm talking out of my ass.
Like I said Ballo wasn't an impact here.

We'll agree to disagree about Brown's D, but that is Reason #1 through #83945832648326487326487932 that he was benched for Koloko come conference play.
NickyBCats

Post by NickyBCats »

ChooChooCat wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 10:24 am

This Pelle? Or another Euro?
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

NickyBCats wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 12:18 pm

I think they are discussing another Euro project who is not nearly as impactful as Pelle. Maybe even a redshirt candidate.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

https://247sports.com/player/adama-bal-46102507/
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

RondaeShimmy wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 11:44 am Can we all admit that Miller's gold practice jersey didn't mean anything.

Brown won a bunch of them, totally useless.

Brown is like Jeter, if he's a main contributor on your team, you're in trouble.
THIS^^^^^^^
BeardownZonaZona

Adama has gotten a lot better over the last year
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

We just officially offered yesterday?
BeardownZonaZona

IndianaZonaFan wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 12:36 pm We just officially offered yesterday?
Been done a while now. Scheer just went through and updated his profile yesterday cuz he knows we're getting him
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

ChooChooCat wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 7:26 am
TheCat wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 7:15 am
ChooChooCat wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 3:04 pm
RondaeShimmy wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 1:20 pm
NickyBCats wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 1:02 pm I’m hearing good things on TyTy.
Choo has said he hasn't heard anything on kaluma, have you been hearing good things on him?

Anything on him is non existent
We’re definitely on him, we’ve got a strong connection, and we likely have a starting spot open for him. We got a lot working in our favor here, but we’ll see. He keeps things very quiet.
If we have a "starting spot" for this guy we are a .500 team. Hope that was just a slip of the tongue.
Ok Hyperbole party of one. We started Azuolas and Koloko last year and were well over .500, but sure if we start Azuolas at the 5 and a superior defender/athlete with actual offensive upside in Kaluma at the 4, to go along with more experienced above average players surrounding him, we're a .500 team. If you say so.
Not sure why you are so high on this guy. First of all if you watch the clips he walked almost every time he was making a move. If you think he is a better defender in those clips than Koloko then we just disagree on what he currently brings to the table. His offensive upside is not next year and he will not average 10 a game unless he is playing 25+ minutes. Hope not.
You are looking at a team right now with no point guard that makes others better. In other words cannot drive the ball against other teams. Kerr does not have the strength. Love his scrappiness on defense and drawing charges but was nothing but a 3 point shooter on offense. What would this team be record wise with out our former point guard (even though I thought he shot to much)? I would guess at best .500.
Next year depends how we finish the recruiting season and how the head coach does in tight situations.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

TheCat wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 1:07 pm Not sure why you are so high on this guy. First of all if you watch the clips he walked almost every time he was making a move. If you think he is a better defender in those clips than Koloko then we just disagree on what he currently brings to the table. His offensive upside is not next year and he will not average 10 a game unless he is playing 25+ minutes. Hope not.
You are looking at a team right now with no point guard that makes others better. In other words cannot drive the ball against other teams. Kerr does not have the strength. Love his scrappiness on defense and drawing charges but was nothing but a 3 point shooter on offense. What would this team be record wise with out our former point guard (even though I thought he shot to much)? I would guess at best .500.
Next year depends how we finish the recruiting season and how the head coach does in tight situations.
I posted my game video breakdown on the previous page, and that's more in depth about my thoughts, but I agree with some of this.

His pump and go move is going to get called a travel a lot, so he needs to get outside of that. His jumper does look solid for a 4. His midrange moves towards the rim are solid, but that's a lot tougher to do in college.

He allows guys to cross his face off ball with no redirect way too much. He has defensive tools, but you can't let guys make straight line cuts like that. He has potential, but also obviously relies a bit more on physical tools than technique on D, so getting up to speed on technique is big for him on D.

I'm not as convinced on his impact, particularly immediately, as some here.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

TheCat wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 1:07 pm
RondaeShimmy wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 1:20 pm

Choo has said he hasn't heard anything on kaluma, have you been hearing good things on him?

Anything on him is non existent
We’re definitely on him, we’ve got a strong connection, and we likely have a starting spot open for him. We got a lot working in our favor here, but we’ll see. He keeps things very quiet.
If we have a "starting spot" for this guy we are a .500 team. Hope that was just a slip of the tongue.
Ok Hyperbole party of one. We started Azuolas and Koloko last year and were well over .500, but sure if we start Azuolas at the 5 and a superior defender/athlete with actual offensive upside in Kaluma at the 4, to go along with more experienced above average players surrounding him, we're a .500 team. If you say so.
Not sure why you are so high on this guy. First of all if you watch the clips he walked almost every time he was making a move. If you think he is a better defender in those clips than Koloko then we just disagree on what he currently brings to the table. His offensive upside is not next year and he will not average 10 a game unless he is playing 25+ minutes. Hope not.
Kerr will not be the only point guard on this roster. I also never compared Kaluma to Koloko defensively. I expect Kaluma to defend athletic 4s and 3s. Do you expect Christian Koloko to defend the same position? In a world where you’re starting Tyty, Kerr, Mathurin, and Azuolas you don’t need Kaluma to score over 10.

I don’t know how else to put this, but your entire post is the equivalent of dog shit. You truly made no worthwhile points. Hell Spiff and I disagree about Jordan Brown’s defense completely and at least he had academic reasons for believing what he does (because Spiff is the man). Your post, however, is just a bunch of “yeah but” and “what if” bullshit.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 1:20 pm
TheCat wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 1:07 pm Not sure why you are so high on this guy. First of all if you watch the clips he walked almost every time he was making a move. If you think he is a better defender in those clips than Koloko then we just disagree on what he currently brings to the table. His offensive upside is not next year and he will not average 10 a game unless he is playing 25+ minutes. Hope not.
I posted my game video breakdown on the previous page, and that's more in depth about my thoughts, but I agree with some of this.

His pump and go move is going to get called a travel a lot, so he needs to get outside of that. His jumper does look solid for a 4. His midrange moves towards the rim are solid, but that's a lot tougher to do in college.

He allows guys to cross his face off ball with no redirect way too much. He has defensive tools, but you can't let guys make straight line cuts like that. He has potential, but also obviously relies a bit more on physical tools than technique on D, so getting up to speed on technique is big for him on D.

Pending on us landing another guy I’d put down hard money Kaluma starts.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Let me help you out Choo. Brown or Akinjo were our leading scorer in 17 games last year. Our PAC-12 conference results were one game from being .500 and our out of conference schedule is much better with the tourney's we are playing. A lot less automatic wins against the likes of Grambling, CSU Bakersfield, UTEP and California Baptist. Not sure where the confidence comes from considering a new coach, POTENTIAL players, new system etc. I don't have as much confidence as you. I am always hopeful but sometimes realty gets in the way.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

TheCat wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 1:32 pm Let me help you out Choo. Brown or Akinjo were our leading scorer in 17 games last year. Our PAC-12 conference results were one game from being .500 and our out of conference schedule is much better with the tourney's we are playing. A lot less automatic wins against the likes of Grambling, CSU Bakersfield, UTEP and California Baptist. Not sure where the confidence comes from considering a new coach, POTENTIAL players, new system etc. I don't have as much confidence as you. I am always hopeful but sometimes realty gets in the way.
Ok we’re going to be filling 5-6 more scholarships still, but you know for sure we’ll be lucky to be .500 next year. I’ll be sure to go right to the sports book. Good day sir.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

A) You're paraphrasing Spiff's post on the game that he watched :lol:

B) He's a quickly developing combo forward known for his defense but who shows signs of passing ability and an outside shooting stroke - its the most desirable kind of player behind a talented point guard. The versatility that he could bring because of his ability to defend 3-5 and to stretch the floor or create off the dribble on offense... it's a game changer. He fits in any line-up. Tyler Bey is a good comp, I think, in terms of what he could become for us. Or like Rondae if he was only good on D instead of crazy good but could dribble, pass, and hit a jumpshot.

C) Kaluma vs Koloko is a weird argument that I'm not sure anyone is making since there's really no overlap in their positions and skills sets (besides what I think Kaluma could do as a small ball 5 / part of two small ball posts playing together).
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 1:20 pm His pump and go move is going to get called a travel a lot, so he needs to get outside of that. His jumper does look solid for a 4. His midrange moves towards the rim are solid, but that's a lot tougher to do in college.

The optimist in me speaking, but I think that the sloppiness of his game this past season (and there was plenty) was largely a factor of the coaches giving him room and a prerogative to grow. At Arizona, we could benefit from Kaluma's sloppy growth period without having to take too much of the slop onboard. Better coaching and structure in a reduced role will allow Kaluma to cut the fat and retain the muscle that he's gained (if you'll accept the metaphor).

Or maybe he's a sloppy player who can't control himself for the rest of eternity - I don't know, it's always a crapshoot. He does seem like a very good kid with plenty of ambition. Mitigating factors, as they say.
Last edited by YoDeFoe on Wed May 05, 2021 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

ChooChooCat wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 1:24 pm

Kerr will not be the only point guard on this roster. I also never compared Kaluma to Koloko defensively. I expect Kaluma to defend athletic 4s and 3s. Do you expect Christian Koloko to defend the same position? In a world where you’re starting Tyty, Kerr, Mathurin, and Azuolas you don’t need Kaluma to score over 10.

I don’t know how else to put this, but your entire post is the equivalent of dog shit. You truly made no worthwhile points. Hell Spiff and I disagree about Jordan Brown’s defense completely and at least he had academic reasons for believing what he does (because Spiff is the man). Your post, however, is just a bunch of “yeah but” and “what if” bullshit.
WOW I missed Tyty commitment. If you allow me to create a team out of player we don't have I can get us above .500 also. Well let me put this in terms you might understand. Without the scoring of Akinjo we were far less than a .500 team last year. If you are saying that a unnamed freshman point guard or transfer will be better than all pac-12 and previously named freshman of the year in the big EAST bring him on. The naming of players we don't have and then speculating how good they will be on Arizona is the definition of Dog SHIT. When those guys sign as my previous posts says will define where we are, not you making shit up.
I agree the one thing you said is true is that we will have more than one pg. Who that is is a question mark at this time.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 1:29 pm

I mean, it wouldn't stun me. Koloko is the other option to flank Tubelis, and Koloko obviously has rough edges too.

I don't disagree with thecat in that Kaluma's catch on the move, pump and go will 100% get called a travel by Pac refs and it's one of his go to's on offense. He has a base on offense to work with, but he'll need to refine it.

Defensively, being off the ball and guys straight line cutting his face...well, it's a pet peeve of mine, so maybe I'm being harsh. He clearly has decent tools to be a plus defender and rebounder. It's just technical things like that he needs. He gets away with it in HS because he has the physical skill to erase, but in college, guys are going to eat him up if he's not cleaner on those things.

That's just my take on him, though. Some people are talking like he's a lights out guy, and I don't really see it. I don't see him as Zeke Nnaji or Aaron Gordon, where he is a monster day 1. Maybe a trajectory of a guy like Brandon Ashley, who was a rotation guy as a frosh, but not a mainstay, then grew into a rock as a starter from there.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 1:48 pm
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 1:20 pm His pump and go move is going to get called a travel a lot, so he needs to get outside of that. His jumper does look solid for a 4. His midrange moves towards the rim are solid, but that's a lot tougher to do in college.

The optimist in me speaking, but I think that the sloppiness of his game this past season (and there was plenty) was largely a factor of the coaches giving him room and a prerogative to grow. At Arizona, we could benefit from Kaluma's sloppy growth period without having to take too much of the slop onboard. Better coaching and structure in a reduced role will allow Kaluma to cut the fat and retain the muscle that he's gained (if you'll accept the metaphor).

Or maybe he's a sloppy player who can't control himself for the rest of eternity - I don't know, it's always a crapshoot. He does seem like a very good kid with plenty of ambition. Mitigating factors, as they say.
I'm not trying to be overly negative on the kid. He has tools, that's clear. A lot of high schoolers have his faults and have to learn they don't have the room to get away with stuff in college like they do in HS.

It's why I compared him to a guy like Brandon Ashley. I don't see that as insulting at all. Just that he doesn't strike me as a day 1 killer, but a guy who needs that refining to let his tools shine like they should.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 1:53 pm

I mean, it wouldn't stun me. Koloko is the other option to flank Tubelis, and Koloko obviously has rough edges too.

I don't disagree with thecat in that Kaluma's catch on the move, pump and go will 100% get called a travel by Pac refs and it's one of his go to's on offense. He has a base on offense to work with, but he'll need to refine it.

Defensively, being off the ball and guys straight line cutting his face...well, it's a pet peeve of mine, so maybe I'm being harsh. He clearly has decent tools to be a plus defender and rebounder. It's just technical things like that he needs. He gets away with it in HS because he has the physical skill to erase, but in college, guys are going to eat him up if he's not cleaner on those things.

That's just my take on him, though. Some people are talking like he's a lights out guy, and I don't really see it. I don't see him as Zeke Nnaji or Aaron Gordon, where he is a monster day 1. Maybe a trajectory of a guy like Brandon Ashley, who was a rotation guy as a frosh, but not a mainstay, then grew into a rock as a starter from there.
Much love Spiff, but you admittedly due to a lack of available time (and who can blame you) watched one game lol. He’s most definitely not Zeke or AG, but he doesn’t have to be. He fits a role that we don’t have. That’s where he matters. With Lloyd and Fois getting their hands on him though, I’ll bet hard money before it’s all said and done he will absolutely be a killer here.
Last edited by ChooChooCat on Wed May 05, 2021 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

TheCat wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 1:50 pm

WOW I missed Tyty commitment. If you allow me to create a team out of player we don't have I can get us above .500 also. Well let me put this in terms you might understand. Without the scoring of Akinjo we were far less than a .500 team last year. If you are saying that a unnamed freshman point guard or transfer will be better than all pac-12 and previously named freshman of the year in the big EAST bring him on. The naming of players we don't have and then speculating how good they will be on Arizona is the definition of Dog SHIT. When those guys sign as my previous posts says will define where we are, not you making shit up.
I agree the one thing you said is true is that we will have more than one pg. Who that is is a question mark at this time.
Not going to pretend like I read anything beyond your first line about Tyty, so I’ll just say cool story bro and move on with my life.

.500 here we come.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 1:20 pm I'm not as convinced on his impact, particularly immediately, as some here.

He's not at all a lights out guy and I don't think he would start day one (FWIW). I think he has a very useful profile and as the program is able to iron out those technical aspects that he's lacking now (totally correct there), he'll move into the starting line-up. He's never struck me as a one and done.

Here's a nice interview with him: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lskVYL8D-9c

Good kid
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

YoDeFoe wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 2:00 pm
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 1:20 pm I'm not as convinced on his impact, particularly immediately, as some here.

He's not at all a lights out guy and I don't think he would start day one (FWIW). I think he has a very useful profile and as the program is able to iron out those technical aspects that he's lacking now (totally correct there), he'll move into the starting line-up. He's never struck me as a one and done.

Good kid
Kaluma is also a very smart kid. Very academically focused.

I’ll give it to you guys that maybe with some further added development I could see Terry starting at the 4 if Lloyd wanted to go that route. I do not foresee a Tubelis/Another big starting lineup, which is why I see Kaluma winning that spot.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... ting-help/

Sorry if posted already, but UK just landed another guard for next year. Getting crowded in that backcourt yet? Maybe helps our chances with Tyty.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Beachcat97 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 2:22 pm https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... ting-help/

Sorry if posted already, but UK just landed another guard for next year. Getting crowded in that backcourt yet? Maybe helps our chances with Tyty.
Not a ball handler, just a shooter. Potentially helps UK by adding another offensive weapon, but no impact to their rotation that would give TyTy pause.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

YoDeFoe wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 1:39 pm

B) He's a quickly developing combo forward known for his defense but who shows signs of passing ability and an outside shooting stroke - its the most desirable kind of player behind a talented point guard. The versatility that he could bring because of his ability to defend 3-5 and to stretch the floor or create off the dribble on offense... it's a game changer. He fits in any line-up. Tyler Bey is a good comp, I think, in terms of what he could become for us. Or like Rondae if he was only good on D instead of crazy good but could dribble, pass, and hit a jumpshot.

C) Kaluma vs Koloko is a weird argument that I'm not sure anyone is making since there's really no overlap in their positions and skills sets (besides what I think Kaluma could do as a small ball 5 / part of two small ball posts playing together).
I actually have a paid subscription from a site that has followed Kaluma since 2018-2019 when he played for the Houston Hoops (sounds very familiar to most here). I watched the video also to verify what Spiff said and it was pretty clear. I also read what the national analysts (including the dreaded ESPN) have said about his game. Developing offense (not good now) and a good defensive player because of his athletic ability. I hope he is all world if he comes here.
I like the optimism that we have so many scholarships and will get the absolute best players but Kaluma previously committed to UNLV and I didn't hear one word of disappointment that an Arizona player went elsewhere. He is rated in the mid 40's as a player and top 15 as a PF which is great considering where we are today with committed players.
I am not down on the kid but I think we are fooling ourselves if we think he can start. He has the size that will help us against UCLA's guards and that is a huge plus.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

ChooChooCat wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 12:31 pm

https://247sports.com/player/adama-bal-46102507/
From the video I have seen of this guy, he is in love with taking contested mid range shots which are the worst shot in basketball.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

TheCat wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 2:32 pm

I like the optimism that we have so many scholarships and will get the absolute best players but Kaluma previously committed to UNLV and I didn't hear one word of disappointment that an Arizona player went elsewhere.
Probably because he’s not from Arizona and Sean Miller didn’t recruit him prior because he had zero shot to land him. You knew that though cause you have a paid subscription to some scouting site or….something….I guess? I’m sure that subscription has gotten you far in your life.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

ChooChooCat wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 2:49 pm

I like the optimism that we have so many scholarships and will get the absolute best players but Kaluma previously committed to UNLV and I didn't hear one word of disappointment that an Arizona player went elsewhere.
Probably because he’s not from Arizona and Sean Miller didn’t recruit him prior because he had zero shot to land him. You knew that though cause you have a paid subscription to some scouting site or….something….I guess? I’m sure that subscription has gotten you far in your life.
Is that the same scouting site that had Tubelis, Mathurin and Kerr all ranked lower than Kaluma in their respective class? Three freshman who started on an above .500 team? Three freshman still on the team next year now as sophmores?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

gronk4heisman wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 3:07 pm
ChooChooCat wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 2:49 pm

Is that the same scouting site that had Tubelis, Mathurin and Kerr all ranked lower than Kaluma in their respective class? Three freshman who started on an above .500 team? Three freshman still on the team next year now as sophmores?
.500 is written in stone my man, don’t fight it.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 2:00 pm

Good kid
Nothing I really disagree with in that. We don't have a faceup, agile 4 on the roster unless we push Terry or Mathurin, so he brings a unique positional fit.

I think he can contribute, as he's athletic without giving up much size. He is going to have to sand down rough edges, but even a lot of one and done top guys have that same critique.

It is nice to see people vouching for him as a solid kid. Tyty has me a bit concerned in terms of chemistry, and I like high character guys always.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

The **** did I just scroll through? Gimme a break Brown wasn't a liability. Yeah he had some good games but if Miller benched him and Lloyd said goobye, clearly there is something he can't develop that a freshman already has. We are over .500 with the roster we have today. Sheesh
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

ChooChooCat wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 1:34 pm
TheCat wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 1:32 pm Let me help you out Choo. Brown or Akinjo were our leading scorer in 17 games last year. Our PAC-12 conference results were one game from being .500 and our out of conference schedule is much better with the tourney's we are playing. A lot less automatic wins against the likes of Grambling, CSU Bakersfield, UTEP and California Baptist. Not sure where the confidence comes from considering a new coach, POTENTIAL players, new system etc. I don't have as much confidence as you. I am always hopeful but sometimes realty gets in the way.
Ok we’re going to be filling 5-6 more scholarships still, but you know for sure we’ll be lucky to be .500 next year. I’ll be sure to go right to the sports book. Good day sir.
Not my opinion Choo.
No team in the conference has taken as many hits from the transfer portal as the Wildcats since the regular season ended.

That’s not entirely surprising given the coaching change and the fact that so many players were nomads in the first place.

But goodness, the exodus is substantial: The Wildcats have lost three key guards, Jemarl Baker, James Akinjo and Terrell Brown, plus big men Ira Lee and Jordan Brown.

That’s more than 40 points per game … gone.

Akinjo was a first-team all-conference selection.

Brown was the Pac-12’s Sixth Man of the Year. (Better known as dog shit by Choo).

What remains is a collection of underclassmen with promise but much to prove.

New coach Tommy Lloyd has secured the services of one newcomer already, Gonzaga transfer Oumar Ballo, but his recruiting skills are being tested immediately.

Because of the criticism that hounded every aspect of Arizona’s coaching change, initial momentum is important for the new regime.

As of this moment, Lloyd doesn’t have a roster capable of finishing in the top half of the conference next season.
BeardownZonaZona

TheCat wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 3:46 pm
Not my opinion Choo.
No team in the conference has taken as many hits from the transfer portal as the Wildcats since the regular season ended.

That’s not entirely surprising given the coaching change and the fact that so many players were nomads in the first place.

But goodness, the exodus is substantial: The Wildcats have lost three key guards, Jemarl Baker, James Akinjo and Terrell Brown, plus big men Ira Lee and Jordan Brown.

Brown was the Pac-12’s Sixth Man of the Year. (Better known as dog shit by Choo).

New coach Tommy Lloyd has secured the services of one newcomer already, Gonzaga transfer Oumar Ballo, but his recruiting skills are being tested immediately.

Because of the criticism that hounded every aspect of Arizona’s coaching change, initial momentum is important for the new regime.

As of this moment, Lloyd doesn’t have a roster capable of finishing in the top half of the conference next season.
You're an idiot. No other way to put it. When you're losing dudes to Fresno St. and Brown is likely going to St. Mary's from what I've heard, ya ain't losing all that much. If they were so good why wasn't Kentucky and schools like that after them? Akinjo dribbled the ball too much and really wouldn't fit this system at all. T. Brown went to Washington, a team that's terrible. Did I dumb it down enough for you
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

TheCat wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 3:46 pm
Not my opinion Choo.

As of this moment....when we have 5 scholarships open, that's a real important measuring point. (sarcasm)
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

ChooChooCat wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 1:59 pm
TheCat wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 1:50 pm

Not going to pretend like I read anything beyond your first line about Tyty, so I’ll just say cool story bro and move on with my life.

.500 here we come.
Good........you know what players we are going to get before they even announce. I'm so happy.