let's talk '21

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

RondaeShimmy

Re: let's talk '21

Post by RondaeShimmy »

YoDeFoe wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 8:48 pm
TheCat wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 6:04 pm I think Pelle is a good pickup as a shooter. My fear with Kerr is that he also has to play on the defensive side of the ball. I think he is a pest and will take charges and make some hustle plays but quite frankly I do not see him able to guard the guys that Oregon or UCLA will put out there. I don't think other teams will fear Kerr's ability to penetrate and finish because of his size and strength. That limits what I hope is a great weapon of penetrate and kick to Pelle and Ben for three. Pelle looks slight but he does have some height but he needs some muscle and weight. Hope I'm wrong but that is what Kerr has shown me to date (small sample).
Just gotta note here: Pelle Larsson is 6'5" 215lbs with a 6'9" wingspan :lol: - this kid is not at all slight. Compared to our guards/wings last season, he's got 30lbs on Akinjo or Terrell Brown, 20lbs on Baker and Mathurin and Terry. He's the most stout and physical guard at the point of arrival on campus that we've had since Rawle - who was only 5lbs heavier. Pelle is an athlete. The prime reason Larry K inserted him into the starting line-up was to have more physical guard play on both sides of the ball.

And again: Pelle had the lowest shot usage % of anyone on the Utah team last season. He may have been crazy efficient from deep, but Utah wasn't giving him PT for his buckets.

Quick edit: Larsson is the same size as Josh Green when Green was measured at the combine. Same height, wingspan, and weight.
Some crazy length on the wings with him and Bal (6'6 - 6'11 wingspan) in the future.

As an aside

I wonder if Bal is going to get ranked by 247 now that Gershon and Daniels are gone. Bossi didn't rank international kids when they committed to a US college at Rivals. An older article from Daniels said he'd be a 4*.

One of the major reasons Arizona is 11 out of 12 in the conference recruiting rankings right now.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

TheCat wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 6:04 pm I think Pelle is a good pickup as a shooter. My fear with Kerr is that he also has to play on the defensive side of the ball. I think he is a pest and will take charges and make some hustle plays but quite frankly I do not see him able to guard the guys that Oregon or UCLA will put out there. I don't think other teams will fear Kerr's ability to penetrate and finish because of his size and strength. That limits what I hope is a great weapon of penetrate and kick to Pelle and Ben for three. Pelle looks slight but he does have some height but he needs some muscle and weight. Hope I'm wrong but that is what Kerr has shown me to date (small sample).
To me, Terry and Mathurin (and now Pelle) being able to be solid matters most. They gave up too many straight line drives last year.

Kerr got put in a tough place by that by being forced to defend the opponent's better players. If he doesn't have to shoulder that load, he'll be fine vs pg's, IMO.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:35 am Watching a Kaluma game, my thoughts. First, the game is:

https://youtu.be/VclQvqsNHNQ

Offensively, he scores twice on basically the same move from a baseline out of bounds play. That quick face to the left won't be there nearly as well on the college level, but he shows he can be quick, decisive and get to the rim strong.

Not so much on a dump off. He takes one and double clutches, missing twice instead of srawing a foul. On the upside, he tips it in a third time and stays after it well.

He has a show and go move off the catch that will he called a travel by Pac refs 100% of the time. These refs don't and he draws a foul.

Tough to evaluate on D. He shows well off the pick and roll but never really gets challenged by the dribbler. His recovery is ok, but not as quick back to his man, which leads to at least one open 3.

He rotates late and doesn't rotate into a solid block out and gives up an offensive board at one point. This is small stuff, but just what needs to get sharper.

Above comments are through 18:25 on the video. I didn't time stamp for them, sorry.

Right after 18:25, he makes a good move for his first J of the day. Solid balance and release on the shot.

Around 19:55, a defensive possession begins I'm not hyped about. You see him relax off ball twice. Second time, he's easily screened for a layup. This has been recurring so far. He gets a lot of people crossing his face off ball.

Next possession down, he shuffles his feet off the catch. Again, this is 100% a travel in college. He does finish with strong work on the glass.

Next defensive trip, around 21:30, he gives ground too easily and requires help.

Ok. I've watched as much as life will permit. Overall, you can see his has good (I won't say elite) physical tools. Has a developing offensive game that looks strong, but he needs to clean up his feet off the catch. Defensively, he needs to be much more active on the weak side and when challenged so as not to require help.
I'm now realizing that excessively following recruiting cost me a solid 45 minutes on Kaluma alone.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 9:53 am
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:35 am Watching a Kaluma game, my thoughts. First, the game is:

Offensively, he scores twice on basically the same move from a baseline out of bounds play. That quick face to the left won't be there nearly as well on the college level, but he shows he can be quick, decisive and get to the rim strong.

Not so much on a dump off. He takes one and double clutches, missing twice instead of srawing a foul. On the upside, he tips it in a third time and stays after it well.

He has a show and go move off the catch that will he called a travel by Pac refs 100% of the time. These refs don't and he draws a foul.

Tough to evaluate on D. He shows well off the pick and roll but never really gets challenged by the dribbler. His recovery is ok, but not as quick back to his man, which leads to at least one open 3.

He rotates late and doesn't rotate into a solid block out and gives up an offensive board at one point. This is small stuff, but just what needs to get sharper.

Above comments are through 18:25 on the video. I didn't time stamp for them, sorry.

Right after 18:25, he makes a good move for his first J of the day. Solid balance and release on the shot.

Around 19:55, a defensive possession begins I'm not hyped about. You see him relax off ball twice. Second time, he's easily screened for a layup. This has been recurring so far. He gets a lot of people crossing his face off ball.

Next possession down, he shuffles his feet off the catch. Again, this is 100% a travel in college. He does finish with strong work on the glass.

Next defensive trip, around 21:30, he gives ground too easily and requires help.

Ok. I've watched as much as life will permit. Overall, you can see his has good (I won't say elite) physical tools. Has a developing offensive game that looks strong, but he needs to clean up his feet off the catch. Defensively, he needs to be much more active on the weak side and when challenged so as not to require help.
I'm now realizing that excessively following recruiting cost me a solid 45 minutes on Kaluma alone.
My wife would prefer I walk away from Arizona basketball and take up cocaine; it would disrupt our family less and it would be a lot easier to explain.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 10:17 am
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 9:53 am

My wife would prefer I walk away from Arizona basketball and take up cocaine; it would disrupt our family less and it would be a lot easier to explain.
Well, just don't do both like Kevin O'Neill.
BeardownZonaZona

Post by BeardownZonaZona »

Kerr had to guard opposing twos. Not exactly fair to him. Kerr guarding guys like Duarte is not ok. If Kerr plays his natural position he'll be fine
I said what I said and I mean it.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

BeardownZonaZona wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 10:27 am Kerr had to guard opposing twos. Not exactly fair to him. Kerr guarding guys like Duarte is not ok. If Kerr plays his natural position he'll be fine
Plus they had a whole half year of live action basketball on him.

Which is why now that Tyty is out of the picture, it would be bad to get someone to start over Kerr at the point because he'll be forced to defend 2s.

He came back to start.
Last edited by RondaeShimmy on Tue May 18, 2021 10:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

BeardownZonaZona wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 10:27 am Kerr had to guard opposing twos. Not exactly fair to him. Kerr guarding guys like Duarte is not ok. If Kerr plays his natural position he'll be fine
100%. He wound up probably our best perimeter defender and taking the toughest matchups, even those that didn't favor him at all.

Mathurin and Terry stepping up would be big.

Edit: Oregon's a great example. When Kerr's forced to guard Richardson, Duarte, Figueroa or Williams, he looks overmatched b/c he's giving up 4-5 inches to every one. If he'd guarded 6'2 Amauri Hardy all the time, things would look different. Letting him play his natural position on D is a big deal.
Last edited by Spaceman Spiff on Tue May 18, 2021 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

I liked his energy and effort more than Ankijo and Brown (two "defensive dogs" coming in), though I know that they had to use so much energy on offense that they had trouble matching that energy on D. Feels like Kerr should have it a little easier in that regard (conserving energy on O) as he's more of a "pass and shoot" PG than a "dribble and attack" guard like those two.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Guess we're going to be adding a couple kids in the next couple of weeks.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

It will be interesting to see how this team plays defense next year. I never thought the Zags defense was that stellar so not sure what CTL will be bringing to this team.

Kerr might be able to guard the 1 (I want to see it first) but it doesn't look like we have too many answers to guard those tough 2 match-ups.

I think we need to score a lot of points.
BeardownZonaZona

RondaeShimmy wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 10:55 am Guess we're going to be adding a couple kids in the next couple of weeks.
Yup. Decent pickups if they fall through
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

All I care about in regards to the defense is 1. Effort and 2. Flexibility. No more do what we do. Adjustments need to be made, throw some 1-3-1 or whatever into the mix when required. Keep the other team on its toes. If one defense isn't working then switch and make them think.
BeardownZonaZona

We're still waiting on a kid or two to potentially jump into the portal
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

RondaeShimmy wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 10:55 am Guess we're going to be adding a couple kids in the next couple of weeks.
I like Mike Luke. I also like to stay rock hard with Rockauto.com.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

ChooChooCat wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 11:22 am
Then you should get you some built bars
BeardownZonaZona

Mike is a good dude. Very good at what he does. Sad he's pretty much nonexistent at 1290 anymore. Met him a handful of times. Very good dude
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

BeardownZonaZona wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 11:24 am
Mike is a good dude. Very good at what he does. Sad he's pretty much nonexistent at 1290 anymore. Met him a handful of times. Very good dude
I enjoy the podcast though. 1290 has screwed themselves and that doesn't hurt my feelings one bit. The podcast is just Mike with a sliver of inside info shooting the shit about current Arizona events with some history sprinkled in with his buddies. I mean if I had a podcast it'd be something similar and I love listening to other people do it. Excuse me while I go get a built bar to get jacked like Tommy Lloyd and making some bets on next season at betonline.ag.
BeardownZonaZona

ChooChooCat wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 11:30 am
I enjoy the podcast though. 1290 has screwed themselves and that doesn't hurt my feelings one bit. The podcast is just Mike with a sliver of inside info shooting the shit about current Arizona events with some history sprinkled in with his buddies. I mean if I had a podcast it'd be something similar and I love listening to other people do it. Excuse me while I go get a built bar to get jacked like Tommy Lloyd and making some bets on next season at betonline.ag.
I agree. His podcast is really good. I listen to a couple locked on podcasts. I've heard too much Built Bar advertising
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Arizona made the list i guess
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

It's unlikely CBB will ever adopt an OT rule where the outcome is determined by the respective coaches oiling up and having a posedown at midcourt, but it's nice to know we're in a good place if that happens.
BeardownZonaZona

Highly doubt we get Kier. There are, and will be, better options
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

ChooChooCat wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 11:20 am Adjustments need to be made, throw some 1-3-1 or whatever into the mix when required. Keep the other team on its toes. If one defense isn't working then switch and make them think.
My attitude was always that Sean got the players, generally had good regular seasons, was an underdog with all the FBI/NCAA crap, and eventually the dominoes would fall the right way and he'd have more post-season runs. As an old-timer going back to Snowden and seeing plenty of administration F-ups, I was pretty risk-averse, saw the value in program consistency, and didn't think fans were in any position to demand ultimate supremacy. BUT...his refusal to change things up more also made me crazy. Even if you don't have a Kenny Lofton to run the baseline on an effective 1-3-1, you can still throw in SOME kind of zone occasionally. At most levels of basketball, you can see the slow recognition and attempts to get organized while the clock ticks down. It's almost better the first time down if it's an absolutely lousy zone with the players standing there with their arms up in the air, just so the other team gets what you're doing in no uncertain terms. Lots of teams have a whole psych-out thing about playing against a zone. Even if you only do it for about three or four possessions, if you get the other team out of rhythm and they take and miss a few bad shots, it helps. Then, switch back to your base man D and go to a different zone later. And like most things in sports, if you can't or don't play any decent zone yourself in practice scrimmages, you don't tend to be very good against it on offense in a real game. But, stubborn coaches are all about defensive accountability and not taking plays off, and they tend to be proponents of strict man-to-man. Bobby Knight, meet Sean Miller. I'd hate to be a Syracuse, but unless you're the world's biggest powerhouse, you also need to be versatile and use everything in the tool kit in every sport.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Who would have thought the demise of Miller would come partly due to Dana Altman who helped expose Miller’s lack of X’s and O’s. Seemed like a benign hire at the time
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

BeardownZonaZona wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 12:38 pm Highly doubt we get Kier. There are, and will be, better options
Cook, and then who are the other potential options? Can't be discussed publicly yet? Should we be happy with them?
Ned Zissou

Post by Ned Zissou »

Excuse me while I go get a built bar to get jacked like Tommy Lloyd and making some bets on next season at betonline.ag.
Tommy Lloyd, not Tommy Floyd?
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

azcat49 wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 1:16 pm Who would have thought the demise of Miller would come partly due to Dana Altman who helped expose Miller’s lack of X’s and O’s. Seemed like a benign hire at the time
Pac 12 as a conference plus it's coaching was so weak that it also helped.
BeardownZonaZona

goslingswagg wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 1:19 pm
BeardownZonaZona wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 12:38 pm Highly doubt we get Kier. There are, and will be, better options
Cook, and then who are the other potential options? Can't be discussed publicly yet? Should we be happy with them?
Cook for sure. Not sure on the other ones if I'm being honest. I'm going to assume that they're kids at other schools that aren't in the portal yet. There are more and more grad transfers each passing day. Also will be more transfers once summer practices begin and kids realize their team is going to suck or they may not play as much or the role they want. In all honestly having a core of Benn, Azuolas, Kerr, And Terry is pretty solid. We added Pelle who'll be a great addition right away and Nowell could be a good bench piece. We got a great core. Just need some guys who can play roles. Need another point guard with some experience, need an athletic 4 or a stretch 4 (either works), and save that last scholly for a summer transfer that blows the staff away. Ya never know. A stud may jump into the portal if their team is going to suck and just fall into our laps because we're one of the few teams with a roster spot open and will be pretty good
BeardownZonaZona

And yes. Cook is 100% better than Kier. Better defender, shooter, scorer, defender, and facilitator. Good guy for the locker room too. Cook would be a great addition if they lock it up
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

BeardownZonaZona wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 1:59 pm
goslingswagg wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 1:19 pm
Cook for sure. Not sure on the other ones if I'm being honest. I'm going to assume that they're kids at other schools that aren't in the portal yet. There are more and more grad transfers each passing day. Also will be more transfers once summer practices begin and kids realize their team is going to suck or they may not play as much or the role they want. In all honestly having a core of Benn, Azuolas, Kerr, And Terry is pretty solid. We added Pelle who'll be a great addition right away and Nowell could be a good bench piece. We got a great core. Just need some guys who can play roles. Need another point guard with some experience, need an athletic 4 or a stretch 4 (either works), and save that last scholly for a summer transfer that blows the staff away. Ya never know. A stud may jump into the portal if their team is going to suck and just fall into our laps because we're one of the few teams with a roster spot open and will be pretty good
yeah I totally agree on that plan, the 4 spot def feels like the biggest need once we (hopefully) lock up Cook, and then save that last spot for a high upside kid at any position that may transfer later or come available via the international route.

And yes agreed on Cook being the perfect rotational addition - the kind of guy that can play 15 mins for us if need be, or can get squeezed out of the rotation if Nowell/Pelle are good enough, but would still will be a valuable locker room guy. He makes a lot of sense.
BeardownZonaZona

Or a guy pulls out of the draft and throws his name into the portal. Could definitely see a dude like Pippen Jr. pull out of the draft and throw his name in the portal looking for a better team. Not saying him specifically but players in the same boat, really good college players, but not likely nba players
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

azgreg wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 3:27 pm
Take a player like Kaluma, for instance

As good as he was as a prospect, we should have recognized that Arizona was working from behind from the beginning.

Creighton was able to offer Kaluma a starting position at the three. Whether or not he is actually a small forward (he’s not) is irrelevant because Creighton was in a position to at least lie to him and present it that way.

Arizona couldn’t even come close to explaining to Kaluma that he was a three, so it never tried and that is likely where the recruitment was lost.

Kaluma wasn’t able to come in and play over Dalen Terry and Bennedict Mathurin and even at the four, he was never going to start over Azuolas Tubelis.

That left a complete lineup shift where Tubelis plays the five and Kaluma could play the four, but that situation wasn’t what Kaluma wanted to hear considering he thought he was a three.
There was a recruit that Miller lost not that long ago that was the same as Kaluma, big who thought he was a wing. Can't remember his name.
BeardownZonaZona

That would be DaRon Holmes. He went to Dayton
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

EastCoastCat wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 11:17 am It will be interesting to see how this team plays defense next year. I never thought the Zags defense was that stellar so not sure what CTL will be bringing to this team.

Kerr might be able to guard the 1 (I want to see it first) but it doesn't look like we have too many answers to guard those tough 2 match-ups.

Zags had a top 50 defense every season over the last ten years (that’s as far back as I looked), and top 25 most of those seasons (including a #1).

If Kerr can’t defend point guards then he can’t defend anyone at all - so let’s assume he can at least do a serviceable job defending 1s.

And we have the personnel on the wings to be a tough defensive team - Mathurin, Terry, and Pelle all have incredible wingspans and are gifted athletes. Just need them to take a sophomore leap.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I actually agree with Scheer on most of that. Mathurin returning is a bigger deal than losing Tyty, at least imo. Would've preferred to keep Akinjo, but he must've had one foot out the door the day Miller was fired.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

RondaeShimmy wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 3:35 pm There was a recruit that Miller lost not that long ago that was the same as Kaluma, big who thought he was a wing. Can't remember his name.
This describes an unfortunate number of young players.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Obviously we have been focused on offense snd the increased movement but what kind of defense does Lloyd place to play base wise? It’s not packline right?
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

YoDeFoe wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 3:53 pm
EastCoastCat wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 11:17 am It will be interesting to see how this team plays defense next year. I never thought the Zags defense was that stellar so not sure what CTL will be bringing to this team.

Zags had a top 50 defense every season over the last ten years (that’s as far back as I looked), and top 25 most of those seasons (including a #1).

If Kerr can’t defend point guards then he can’t defend anyone at all - so let’s assume he can at least do a serviceable job defending 1s.

And we have the personnel on the wings to be a tough defensive team - Mathurin, Terry, and Pelle all have incredible wingspans and are gifted athletes. Just need them to take a sophomore leap.
I always take the Zag stats with a grain of salt considering who they play in their league.

When I watch them against decent teams I don’t see a Top 25 defensive team at all.
BeardownZonaZona

Haven't seen it yet but Kerr did impress scouts at the NBA Basketball Across Borders All Star Weekend event for his defense against Killian Hayes, who went in the lottery this past draft. Hayes is about 6'5" or so. We shall see if that performance was a one-off or is legitimate
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

I remember us getting a big who thought he was a big and performed like a big and still got drafted number 2 in the NBA as a wing. Its amazing how if you are put in a position to succeed in college it gets you drafted. Maybe you could argue that he would have stuck longer if he played more as a wing in college, but regardless he got paid and got many opportunities to prove himself.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

BeardownZonaZona wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 4:03 pm Haven't seen it yet but Kerr did impress scouts at the NBA Basketball Across Borders All Star Weekend event for his defense against Killian Hayes, who went in the lottery this past draft. Hayes is about 6'5" or so. We shall see if that performance was a one-off or is legitimate
Think he's better on ball defender than off ball, which is why he's better off at the point rather than as a combo guarding bigger SGs off ball.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

gronk4heisman wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 4:05 pm I remember us getting a big who thought he was a big and performed like a big and still got drafted number 2 in the NBA as a wing. Its amazing how if you are put in a position to succeed in college it gets you drafted. Maybe you could argue that he would have stuck longer if he played more as a wing in college, but regardless he got paid and got many opportunities to prove himself.
Dusan?
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Terry was getting time at the 4 late in season. Do you all think that will continue?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Postmaster wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 5:32 pm
gronk4heisman wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 4:05 pm I remember us getting a big who thought he was a big and performed like a big and still got drafted number 2 in the NBA as a wing. Its amazing how if you are put in a position to succeed in college it gets you drafted. Maybe you could argue that he would have stuck longer if he played more as a wing in college, but regardless he got paid and got many opportunities to prove himself.
Dusan?
DWill
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Yeah, I was kidding.

It’s so sad that he didn’t have a nice NBA run.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Postmaster wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 5:33 pm Terry was getting time at the 4 late in season. Do you all think that will continue?
I'd love to have a 6'7" dude with a 7' wingspan and great vision and some ball handling available to play some at the four. I'd also love that dude to have more than 195lbs on his body. Kid needs to eat a couple hamburgers a day and do some olympic lifts.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Kerr / Larsson / Terry / Mathurin / Tubelis

That COULD BE a really dangerous line-up if those guys can take the sophomore leap (and put on some gd weight). Lot of switchable defenders, lot of passing, lot of shooting.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

YoDeFoe wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 5:54 pm Kerr / Larsson / Terry / Mathurin / Tubelis

That COULD BE a really dangerous line-up if those guys can take the sophomore leap (and put on some gd weight). Lot of switchable defenders, lot of passing, lot of shooting.
Shoot 'em up with Trier's stuff tbh

I hope we see that small lineup a lot, even if it's not a matchup lineup. Put our best on the floor and make teams adjust to you.
joint

Post by joint »

BBQ wildcat wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 3:52 pm
goslingswagg wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 1:52 pm this one definitely hurts but I really think we need to stay patient here and see how this off-season finishes. at the end of the day, it’s clear to me that this is a developmentally focused staff that doesn’t necessarily need to bring in top top tier talent to win games.
Rationalize much?

Lloyd showed that he could successfully recruit prospects to play for Mrk Few. So far he hasn't shown - at all - that he can recruit prospect to play for Tommy Lloyd. Any smart prospect really should see if Lloyd can be even a moderately successful head coach before committing to play for him. JMO
your negative attitude and username reminds me a lot of bayoucatfan or whatever his name is.