Student Section

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

PHXCATS

Student Section

Post by PHXCATS »

Is Heeke or anyone else in the Athletic Department gonna do something about the student chanting fuck all the time(
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
UAEebs86

Re: Student Section

Post by UAEebs86 »

PHXCATS wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:02 am Is Heeke or anyone else in the Athletic Department gonna do something about the student chanting fuck all the time(
He talked to them before the game yesterday.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Good
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Tommy Lloyd addresses postgame incident between Arizona student section, UCLA player

By Brian J. Pedersen Feb 5, 2022, 5:09pm PST

Arizona’s student section has showed up and showed out the last few games, with players regularly citing their energy as helping in recent wins. But in the last two men’s basketball contests at McKale Center, the Zona Zoo has found itself getting involved in controversy.

A postgame incident Thursday night between some students and UCLA freshman Mac Etienne, which resulted in Etienne being arrested and cited for misdemeanor assault after allegedly spitting at fans, was followed up by several expletive-laden chants toward USC players during Saturday’s 72-63 victory.

The first of those, aimed at USC guard Boogie Ellis, came less than a minute into the game after he and Arizona’s Dalen Terry knocked heads going for a loose ball and resulted in both players going to their respective locker rooms to be evaluated before returning. UA athletic director Dave Heeke could be seen strolling through the Zona Zoo shortly after that, but the chants continued throughout the game.

UA coach Tommy Lloyd called the post-UCLA incident “disappointing, probably on both sides” but also said he didn’t know what led to it happening.

“I think we could all come to this deal, and we could be rowdy, have a damn good time, but I don’t think we need to get personal with student athletes, and I don’t I don’t even know if it was,” Lloyd said. “At Arizona, our goal should be to be the rowdiest, classiest fan base in the country.”

The Wildcats won’t play again at McKale until Feb. 17 against Oregon State, their next three games being on the road. The first of those is Monday at ASU, where the 942 Crew student section is known for its “Curtain of Distraction” gimmick behind the opponent’s basket during the second half.

“I hope their gym will be packed,” said UA’s Azuolas Tubelis, who hit the game-winning basket to beat the Sun Devils in Tempe last January.
https://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketbal ... ommy-lloyd
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
97cats

Post by 97cats »

f*ck ASU
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Curtain of shit

USC shot better than their season average vs the curtain of shit last week
97cats

Post by 97cats »

PHXCATS wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:13 am Curtain of shit

USC shot better than their season average vs the curtain of shit last week
well ill tell ya this, i was laughing my ass off at the curtain of distraction last night cause face it, it is funny...but the funniest thing to me is only the morons at f*ck ASU would think of and actually do such a ridiculous and embarrassing thing, thus making the laughter flow from a deeper and more enjoyable place for me.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Not to show my old age but it really is out of hand and does not promote a very family friendly environment. Not to mention the lack of all creatively
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Alieberman wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:19 am Not to show my old age but it really is out of hand and does not promote a very family friendly environment. Not to mention the lack of all creatively
and yet they live and die by the thing, promote it and love it, talk about it and invest in it - its that part that makes it so god dang funny to me.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

97cats wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:21 am
Alieberman wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:19 am Not to show my old age but it really is out of hand and does not promote a very family friendly environment. Not to mention the lack of all creatively
and yet they live and die by the thing, promote it and love it, talk about it and invest in it - its that part that makes it so god dang funny to me.
I was actually talking about the Zona zoo! But yes fuck ASU
97cats

Post by 97cats »

sorry - now im the old one :lol:

yes no vulgarity at the games, not cool...just like the curtain of distraction which f*ck ASU thinks is cool, its not.

have some class and do not stoop to the level of ugly and distasteful fanbase, its not productive or fun for anyone.

leave that shit to Utah.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Ari hits the nail on the head as far as creativity. Are their brains so mushy from all the adderall and molly they consume that they can’t come up with anything but the lowest gutteral chant possible.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Just yesterday a poster said "Nice shot buddy" was low class LOL.
-JB
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

UAEebs86 wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:57 am Just yesterday a poster said "Nice shot buddy" was low class LOL.
To be clear it was my father who said it wasn’t classy many years ago about UCLA fans who used to do something similar so that has stuck with me.

I think spitting, swearing or chanting something related to a players fathers assassination is low class.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

EastCoastCat wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:06 pm
UAEebs86 wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:57 am Just yesterday a poster said "Nice shot buddy" was low class LOL.
To be clear it was my father who said it wasn’t classy many years ago about UCLA fans who used to do something similar so that has stuck with me.

I think spitting, swearing or chanting something related to a players fathers assassination is low class.
Sorry I misrembered a bit (I know, search is your friend)

And Merkin said he didn't like it.

I just find it funny that things like that were ever considered low class compared to what students yell nowadays.

We used to hold up newspapers, turn our backs, and say "Who's he?" and "Not him!" during intros of the other team. I suppose old folks at the time thought we were classless.
-JB
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Exactly. We are better than that in terms of class and smarts
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

My problem with the crowd was them chanting overrated at UCLA after winning, like UCLA didn't smoke Arizona a week ago.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

RondaeShimmy wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:38 pm My problem with the crowd was them chanting overrated at UCLA after winning, like UCLA didn't smoke Arizona a week ago.
I don't like the overrated chant, but UCLA did it to us, so they were just giving it back.
-JB
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

97cats wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:26 am yes no vulgarity at the games, not cool...just like the curtain of distraction which f*ck ASU thinks is cool, its not.
Kriisa gets T'd up when he was clapping during an opponents FT attempt, yep the ASU student section can do all kind of malarkey and get away with it? I know fans can get called for technical, but usually for throwing something on the court.

UAEebs86 wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:20 pm And Merkin said he didn't like it.
I just think "AIIIIRRRRR BALLLLLL" just rolls off the tongue better and reminds the player that he just shot an airball! I still smirk when I remember the UCLA player airballing a FT during the UA loss.

On the same note, never did care for the ratting the keys before the opening kickoff at Wildcat Stadium. Not like the UA was the first team to do it.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Scheer and his wife supporting the students chanting fuck you.

The students can be fun and loud and make the visitors miserable without chanting fuck you
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

My other mother told me to cheer when our team does something well, and stay quiet when the opponent misses a shot or commits a turnover.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

I hope Heeke takes action if this happens again. No reason to be cussing at the players.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

Take that student on the road and have him yell at bobby all game.
Mike Luke's burner account.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I get that we want the student section to behave better without the language.

But I took my boys to a suns game and it was way worse. And don’t get me started on what happens at every nfl game.

If you take families anywhere nowadays, this is part of leaving the house.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

The thing that bothers me most is some guy on the opposing team does a deplorable act and now we are the ones that have to self-reflect, whilst all fanbases in every other sport say worse, much like what ODogg just said. To my knowledge the guy hasn't even apologized for his actions, yet we're the ones that need to feel bad. It's just ridiculous.

Also after beating UCLA, ASU fans were chanting "Fuck U of A," but there's nothing wrong with that apparently.
Last edited by ChooChooCat on Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

I dont really mind swearing and I feel like a lot of people these days don't necessarily care either. I didn't see any families at the game fainting from hearing the word fuck
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ChooChooCat wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:00 am The thing that bothers me most is some guy on the opposing team does a deplorable act and now we are the ones that have to self-reflect, whilst all fanbases in every other sport say worse, much like what ODogg just said. To my knowledge the guy hasn't even apologized for his actions, yet we're the ones that need to feel bad. It's just ridiculous.

Also after beating UCLA, ASU fans were chanting "Fuck U of A," but there's nothing wrong with that apparently.
According to Ben Bolch, LA Times beat writer who covers the Bruins, the guy that was arrested for spitting on people is the real victim and every UA fan is the real criminal.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Olsondogg wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:57 am I get that we want the student section to behave better without the language.

But I took my boys to a suns game and it was way worse. And don’t get me started on what happens at every nfl game.

More than that, maybe I'm the only one, but I've joined a "Bullshit" chant after a bad call.

Point being, I think there's a way to move forward with encouraging less profanity without getting overheated about it. The Zoo isn't doing anything shocking or unique vs other events and you want to encourage engagement and passion, but you can try to rein it in without being overly self-righteous.

Like I remember when Sean Miller offered chants for the crowd. I think that's a better tack than simple criticism.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

ChooChooCat wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:00 am The thing that bothers me most is some guy on the opposing team does a deplorable act and now we are the ones that have to self-reflect, whilst all fanbases in every other sport say worse, much like what ODogg just said. To my knowledge the guy hasn't even apologized for his actions, yet we're the ones that need to feel bad. It's just ridiculous.

The Zoo was chanting Fuck asu all game last Saturday

Yes at pro sports you will have a guy or two here and there say worse but that is one or two overserved people not a whole section

And the Students were saying Fuck Tyger before anyone knew of the spitting incident. Two totally separate things and yeah fuck ucla and this player for not apologizing yet. But those two things are totally separate

asu is trash.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Fishclamps wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:01 am I dont really mind swearing and I feel like a lot of people these days don't necessarily care either. I didn't see any families at the game fainting from hearing the word fuck
Just because no one is fainting means the students are okay doing it. It is stupid and lazy and this is from someone who says fuck asu all day
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Chicat wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:05 am

According to Ben Bolch, LA Times beat writer who covers the Bruins, the guy that was arrested for spitting on people is the real victim and every UA fan is the real criminal.
Fuck Ben Bolch
Fuck spitting on people

Double fuck asu
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:12 am
Olsondogg wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:57 am I get that we want the student section to behave better without the language.

More than that, maybe I'm the only one, but I've joined a "Bullshit" chant after a bad call.

Point being, I think there's a way to move forward with encouraging less profanity without getting overheated about it. The Zoo isn't doing anything shocking or unique vs other events and you want to encourage engagement and passion, but you can try to rein it in without being overly self-righteous.

Like I remember when Sean Miller offered chants for the crowd. I think that's a better tack than simple criticism.
There is a major difference in my opinion between chanting bullshit for 15 seconds after a bad call and chanting fuck asu the entire game

Back in the day there would be Zona Zoo fliers and Zona Zoo leaders. Now would be a good time to bring those back
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

You all need to have your mouths washed out with soap...
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

PHXCATS wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:31 am
Fishclamps wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:01 am I dont really mind swearing and I feel like a lot of people these days don't necessarily care either. I didn't see any families at the game fainting from hearing the word fuck
Just because no one is fainting means the students are okay doing it. It is stupid and lazy and this is from someone who says fuck asu all day
I understand what you're saying, I'm just trying to say I don't think the majority of people really care what the zoo is doing as long as it's not something illegal. They're kids, let them have their fun before their souls are crushed by the real world
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

The irony is that the comment that sent Etienne off wasn't an expletive at all, but rather calling him Britney Griner. So we're making a mountain out of a molehill here about the bad words naturally.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

The fine line we all have to walk is encouraging fans to show up, be loud, be rowdy, intimidate the other team, and make a road trip to Tucson the hardest thing a team has to do all season…

… and then to turn around and say, “Wait, not like that…”

I’m torn between being happy the students are coming out and supporting the team and cringing when I hear a sustained “fuck you ref!” chant after a very typical foul call that goes against us. How do you tell 19 year olds to turn it up but also to dial it back?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

And I was in no way meaning to suggest that #loogiegate was to be blamed on the zoo. My point was that every time some little thing happens that doesn't go our way... it doesn't have to go to the Fuck this, fuck that chant.

I'm all for a good bullshit chant once in a while when a ref has REALLY fucked up... but not for every foul called against us.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Maybe it is just some pandemic thing

asu chanting Fuck UA after they beat ucla

UNC chanting fuck coach k
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

^^^^^ +1 As soon as you move from the individual to the aggregate all bets are off on human behavior. And the entertainment/gladiatorial arena nature of sports makes the difference even worse than politics. 14,400 people enclosed in a moment modeled on the psychology of trench warfare .... what could possibly result? I'm a vulgar man and even I'm appalled at some McKale behaviors, but it's more about hogging space around me, or certain body odors. If people won't even put on deodorant before spending more than 2 hours in a sardine can how can you expect them to rein in their mouths?
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Seems like maybe there's a reason the last say 5 or 6 years that people feel like they can say whatever they want and never be shamed for it, have to apologize for it, or face any consequences? Mmmmmmm..... Can't quite put my finger on it...
Last edited by UAEebs86 on Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
-JB
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:13 am

^^^^^ +1 As soon as you move from the individual to the aggregate all bets are off on human behavior. And the entertainment/gladiatorial arena nature of sports makes the difference even worse than politics. 14,400 people enclosed in a moment modeled on the psychology of trench warfare .... what could possibly result? I'm a vulgar man and even I'm appalled at some McKale behaviors, but it's more about hogging space around me, or certain body odors. If people won't even put on deodorant before spending more than 2 hours in a sardine can how can you expect them to rein in their mouths?
Damn I feel that. The UCLA game I was stuck next to a smelly old man who kept his legs as wide as possible and using my leg as an armrest
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

PHXCATS wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:39 am
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:12 am

There is a major difference in my opinion between chanting bullshit for 15 seconds after a bad call and chanting fuck asu the entire game

Back in the day there would be Zona Zoo fliers and Zona Zoo leaders. Now would be a good time to bring those back
Is the difference we know ASU deserves it, but it's more of a situational assessment with the refs?

I just don't think it's a gigantic deal that we need to flip out about. Just propose other chants that are more creative and less profane and guide without getting too outraged.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

I guess "Die! Die! Fucking Die!" is never gonna happen.

Sob
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Fishclamps wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:22 am
dovecanyoncat wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:13 am

Damn I feel that. The UCLA game I was stuck next to a smelly old man who kept his legs as wide as possible and using my leg as an armrest
There was a couple who sat directly in front of us and ruined an entire season ticket year. He was a big big guy and she was no ballerina herself, but what made things unbearable is that she insisted on draping her arm around him all. game. long. In McKale there's damn precious room between my knees and the seat in front of me, and her arm was there, always there. Excuse me Ma'am, but that's effectively my space you're occupying. I called them the Pork Family (in honor of the Pork Brothers from Justified). I bit my tongue (yes! really!) but my wife dumped a glass of water on her arm. Ah memories of McKale.

~ Wilhoit's Law
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I really don't care what the student section chants as long as it's not racist, etc.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I care what the student section chants. If they ever do the overrated chant again, that’s unacceptable
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

azgreg wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:45 am I really don't care what the student section chants as long as it's not racist, etc.
This reminded me of Missouri's "Antlers."

That's the sort of thing I'd actually really be ashamed of as opposed to just sort of trying to work with kids to be better.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Holy shit…
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

ChooChooCat wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:01 am The irony is that the comment that sent Etienne off wasn't an expletive at all, but rather calling him Britney Griner. So we're making a mountain out of a molehill here about the bad words naturally.
He isn't that good so bad comparison.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Personally, I don't think todays kids are shouting anything more vulgar than they did when I sat in the student section circa 1980.

I distinctly remember the asu game that year. The students (myself included) were screaming all sorts of vulgarities at the asu team......and we were right behind the visitors bench in that time period.

There were also copious amounts of racist statements hurled at them (a large number of them by black UA football players). Alton Lister, asu's very large center, was a particular target that game.

The single biggest difference between 1980/today is that the students today are yelling the insults in tandem. Maybe thats a result of the technology era (The facebook phenomena)..............everyone has to conform and do the same thing. Our insults were generally individual in nature.