Conference Realignment

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

dmjcat

Re: Conference Realignment

Post by dmjcat »

IMO, if the P12 money is not >B12 money we should move ASAP.

Streaming vs. traditional channels argument aside (although I agree with Choo) my biggest fear is staying put and getting left out in the cold. If the Big10 eventually tells Oregon/UW to pound sand (entirely possible) then UO/UW might bolt to the Big12 if the money is better. And spare me the crap about UO/UW would never move to the Big12........if they can make $1 more than staying in the P12 they will (money talks). If UO/UW make their move before us then we could very well get left out in the cold (watered down P12 remnants plus the MWC). The Big12 might not take more than 4 and we might not make the cut for the remaining 2 spots.

Standing pat has risks. The UA needs to recognize that.
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

Not even sure why whether Arizona fans will travel to away games matters.

I get being concerned that Oklahoma State fans won’t travel to Tucson and that hurting gameday revenues but it matters not at all if Arizona fans would be willing to travel to Oklahoma.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

dmjcat wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 10:16 am IMO, if the P12 money is not >B12 money we should move ASAP.

Streaming vs. traditional channels argument aside (although I agree with Choo) my biggest fear is staying put and getting left out in the cold. If the Big10 eventually tells Oregon/UW to pound sand (entirely possible) then UO/UW might bolt to the Big12 if the money is better. And spare me the crap about UO/UW would never move to the Big12........if they can make $1 more than staying in the P12 they will (money talks). If UO/UW make their move before us then we could very well get left out in the cold (watered down P12 remnants plus the MWC). The Big12 might not take more than 4 and we might not make the cut for the remaining 2 spots.

Standing pat has risks. The UA needs to recognize that.
There's a lot of different scenarios that are on the board where Arizona would get left out in the cold in regards to one of the Tier 2 conferences. Like you said standing pat holds a lot of risks. You want to grab your seat before the music stops.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

CardiacCats97 wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 10:24 am Not even sure why whether Arizona fans will travel to away games matters.

I get being concerned that Oklahoma State fans won’t travel to Tucson and that hurting gameday revenues but it matters not at all if Arizona fans would be willing to travel to Oklahoma.
Dude what away fans travel to Tucson in the Pac-12? Oregon maybe?

Big 12 fans, especially the small market fans, travel very well by comparison and it's not close.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Right on cue from Chip Kelly today.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

The shake up would be great. Opposing fans would want to make a road trip to see Tucson. I as a fan would love to visit some cities and stadiums that I have never been too.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azcat49 wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 9:58 am Big 12 BIG 12 Big 12 Big 12 Big 12. Get us out of this joke of a conference
I'm not sure what you're saying. can you give me another hint?
Basketcats

Post by Basketcats »

azgreg wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 11:39 am
azcat49 wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 9:58 am Big 12 BIG 12 Big 12 Big 12 Big 12. Get us out of this joke of a conference
I'm not sure what you're saying. can you give me another hint?
#beardownXII ;)
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

ChooChooCat wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 9:50 am
AzCatFan2 wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 9:44 am
ChooChooCat wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 9:29 am
AzCatFan2 wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 9:16 am All PAC-12 games are on traditional TV channels now. How much brand equity are we gaining from our ESPN/FOX contract?
Thanks for making my point that staying in the Pac-12 with the late night windows for basketball/football are bad for Arizona. Staying in the Pac-12 with the late night windows and Amazon is worse. I'm glad you see things my way.

Welcome to the "join the Big 12" train little buddy. I knew you would get there.
So, the late night window with the BIG 12 is significantly better? And games in Lubbock and Stillwater are more fun to travel to than Seattle and San Francisco?

ESPN doesn't care if the late night window games are flown under a PAC banner or BIG 12 banner. Regardless, we're still playing in them. And the PAC band of misfits > BIG 12 band of misfits as it stands come 2025. Assuming we get more money staying in the PAC with Amazon, having them promote the crap out of our games might actually give us a brand lift in the PAC as well. We certainly aren't getting any now with ESPN and FOX.
Yes, the late night window with the Big 12 is better, because we wouldn't be stuck solely on the late night window. We'd have games in that late night, but you go from literally every game at bedtime EST, to only a handful, I'd call that a stark improvement wouldn't you? I'll ignore your last paragraph since I literally cover it in two sentences.

My god the travel. How many Arizona fans in this economy are fucking traveling to Seattle and San Francisco to see Arizona play now? Seriously. Why is this an argument? It's not. Stop acting like it is one.

The Big 12, its geography, and its TV contract with time windows is a better situation for Arizona in every single way than the Pac-12. The one argument you have is California recruiting will suffer. That's the one downside of a Big 12 move. Every else is a red herring.
I'm fucking traveling. I have family in N. Cal and lived in Seattle for 3 years before moving back to Arizona. Have a bunch of friends there. I'd never set fucking foot in Lubbock, Stillwater, Waco, or almost any other BIG 12 location. Was just in Seattle this summer and considering a return trip soon for a game. Will be in N. Cal over the break and will talk next trip to watch a UA game with my fellow Wildcat alum sibling who lives there.

As for the BIG 12 money contract versus the future PAC contract, money will likely be a wash. The BIG 12 tv contract is status quo with what we currently have. 60% ESPN and 40% FOX. How's that working out for Arizona and the PAC today? Think it would be any better if we gave up schools with the brand equity of a Washington, Oregon, and Stanford for the likes of Baylor, Texas Tech, and C. Florida?

So maybe our away games might have a few better time slots, but we're looking at ESPN+ for many of these. There are only so many BIG 12 games ESPN can broadcast over non-streaming venues at any given time, because they have only so many channels. And we'll be competing with the SEC and ACC for many of the earlier broadcasts. Not to mention, other pro sports ESPN has contracts with during the football season, such as MLB, which has a contract with ESPN that runs through 2028 at current.

Or, we can try something new with a service like Amazon. What do we have to lose? A future 9 AM start in Orlando on FS1 and 12:30 start in Waco on ESPN+?
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

ChooChooCat wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 10:34 am
CardiacCats97 wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 10:24 am Not even sure why whether Arizona fans will travel to away games matters.

Dude what away fans travel to Tucson in the Pac-12? Oregon maybe?

Big 12 fans, especially the small market fans, travel very well by comparison and it's not close.
Good point. Our best attended games by opposing fans are in the non-conference.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

I have family in Kansas, MO & Neb. They all love Arizona especially once it gets cold out
Basketcats

Post by Basketcats »

AzCatFan2 wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 12:07 pm
AzCatFan2 wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 9:16 am All PAC-12 games are on traditional TV channels now. How much brand equity are we gaining from our ESPN/FOX contract?
Thanks for making my point that staying in the Pac-12 with the late night windows for basketball/football are bad for Arizona. Staying in the Pac-12 with the late night windows and Amazon is worse. I'm glad you see things my way.

Welcome to the "join the Big 12" train little buddy. I knew you would get there.
So, the late night window with the BIG 12 is significantly better? And games in Lubbock and Stillwater are more fun to travel to than Seattle and San Francisco?

ESPN doesn't care if the late night window games are flown under a PAC banner or BIG 12 banner. Regardless, we're still playing in them. And the PAC band of misfits > BIG 12 band of misfits as it stands come 2025. Assuming we get more money staying in the PAC with Amazon, having them promote the crap out of our games might actually give us a brand lift in the PAC as well. We certainly aren't getting any now with ESPN and FOX.
Yes, the late night window with the Big 12 is better, because we wouldn't be stuck solely on the late night window. We'd have games in that late night, but you go from literally every game at bedtime EST, to only a handful, I'd call that a stark improvement wouldn't you? I'll ignore your last paragraph since I literally cover it in two sentences.

My god the travel. How many Arizona fans in this economy are fucking traveling to Seattle and San Francisco to see Arizona play now? Seriously. Why is this an argument? It's not. Stop acting like it is one.

The Big 12, its geography, and its TV contract with time windows is a better situation for Arizona in every single way than the Pac-12. The one argument you have is California recruiting will suffer. That's the one downside of a Big 12 move. Every else is a red herring.
I'm fucking traveling. I have family in N. Cal and lived in Seattle for 3 years before moving back to Arizona. Have a bunch of friends there. I'd never set fucking foot in Lubbock, Stillwater, Waco, or almost any other BIG 12 location. Was just in Seattle this summer and considering a return trip soon for a game. Will be in N. Cal over the break and will talk next trip to watch a UA game with my fellow Wildcat alum sibling who lives there.

As for the BIG 12 money contract versus the future PAC contract, money will likely be a wash. The BIG 12 tv contract is status quo with what we currently have. 60% ESPN and 40% FOX. How's that working out for Arizona and the PAC today? Think it would be any better if we gave up schools with the brand equity of a Washington, Oregon, and Stanford for the likes of Baylor, Texas Tech, and C. Florida?

So maybe our away games might have a few better time slots, but we're looking at ESPN+ for many of these. There are only so many BIG 12 games ESPN can broadcast over non-streaming venues at any given time, because they have only so many channels. And we'll be competing with the SEC and ACC for many of the earlier broadcasts. Not to mention, other pro sports ESPN has contracts with during the football season, such as MLB, which has a contract with ESPN that runs through 2028 at current.

Or, we can try something new with a service like Amazon. What do we have to lose? A future 9 AM start in Orlando on FS1 and 12:30 start in Waco on ESPN+?
WOW....Someone just got bent. There is nothing wrong with Lubbock, Stillwater, Waco, Manhattan, etc...all of those are fantastic college towns just like Tucson, Corvallis, Eugene, Boulder, etc.. The fact that you have something against them sheds some light on why you advocate so hard to stay in a dead conference. College football doesn't revolve around where you and your family/friends want to tailgate.

Not gonna even bother addressing the rest of what was in your post as I think you just let slip the real reason why you want the PAC to stay together.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

Basketcats wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 12:49 pm
AzCatFan2 wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 12:07 pm

WOW....Someone just got bent. There is nothing wrong with Lubbock, Stillwater, Waco, Manhattan, etc...all of those are fantastic college towns just like Tucson, Corvallis, Eugene, Boulder, etc.. The fact that you have something against them sheds some light on why you advocate so hard to stay in a dead conference. College football doesn't revolve around where you and your family/friends want to tailgate.

Not gonna even bother addressing the rest of what was in your post as I think you just let slip the real reason why you want the PAC to stay together.
It was asked who travels. The answer is I do. Others do too. Arizona has more alumni living in current PAC cities than we do BIG 12 cities too.

As for the rest, money wise, the BIG 12 isn't going to better than the PAC. TV wise, the BIG 12 contract is exactly like the current PAC contract we have now. How's that working out for us? In fact, it might be worse if we end up playing 9:am start AZ time on FS1 in Orlando, or ESPN+ at 1:00 PM Arizona time in Lubbock. How's that better for us?

The PAC with marquee schools like Oregon and UW is better than anything the BIG 12 has to offer. If UO and UW leave, then the PAC crumbles. Until then, it's a better situation for us.
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

UO and UW are leaving. It’s just a matter of when.

Not sure why some people are determined to have Arizona left in the lurch hoping that after the PAC is completely dead that some conference not named the Mountain West will scoop us up with the rest of the dorks who couldn’t get a date to the dance. Instead of your Seattle road-trip it will be Pullman, Fresno, Albuquerque, etc…
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

UO and UW aren't going to the BIG 12. If they were, they'd be gone already. If UO and UW go B1G, then we go BIG 12. But until UO and UW leave, the PAC is a better conference then the BIG 12.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

The asset that is the PAC-12 Network maybe far more valued and desired than we previously thought
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

You would think it would, at least to Amazon. I saw Scheer say at the meetings GK estimate between 35-40 per team but no one ever said what that was from or from whom.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

One thing about George Kliavkoff, he talks the talk. Not that I even remotely believe what he has to say.

And on streaming v. OTA/cable/satellite, although I wouldn't call the PAC-12 broadcasts good:
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

AzCatFan2 wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 5:03 pm UO and UW aren't going to the BIG 12. If they were, they'd be gone already. If UO and UW go B1G, then we go BIG 12. But until UO and UW leave, the PAC is a better conference then the BIG 12.
You truly have the tiniest of brains, it's sad to see you try to function in this conversation.

Oh and to your line of what do we have to lose by switching all our games to Amazon? How about every thing? We have literally every thing to lose including recruiting, good coaches, hell the list goes on and on and you're too stupid to see it and see why all those things are at risk from an Amazon deal.

I can't say this enough, but screw your road trips. What you are doing in this whole debate is putting your own needs over Arizona's needs. I can't tell you to screw off from existence enough based on that alone.
Last edited by ChooChooCat on Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:00 am, edited 4 times in total.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

PHXCATS wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 5:05 pm The asset that is the PAC-12 Network maybe far more valued and desired than we previously thought
Its equipment is valued. Amazon can buy the equipment from anywhere. They're Amazon.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

CardiacCats97 wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 4:22 pm UO and UW are leaving. It’s just a matter of when.

Not sure why some people are determined to have Arizona left in the lurch hoping that after the PAC is completely dead that some conference not named the Mountain West will scoop us up with the rest of the dorks who couldn’t get a date to the dance. Instead of your Seattle road-trip it will be Pullman, Fresno, Albuquerque, etc…
Oh yeah, get ready for your trips to Albuquerque and Fresno. The Big 12 won't always be there and saying as much is asinine. We're Arizona, we're not a football power, we're not located in a massive metropolitan area. We don't have sunshine and rainbows coming out of our asses. Today the Big 12 wants us, tomorrow the Big 12 could easily be much more picky, especially when the ACC schools are up for grabs, and pass on U of A easily.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

ChooChooCat wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:02 am
CardiacCats97 wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 4:22 pm UO and UW are leaving. It’s just a matter of when.

Oh yeah, get ready for your trips to Albuquerque and Fresno. The Big 12 won't always be there and saying as much is asinine. We're Arizona, we're not a football power, we're not located in a massive metropolitan area. We don't have sunshine and rainbows coming out of our asses. Today the Big 12 wants us, tomorrow the Big 12 could easily be much more picky, especially when the ACC schools are up for grabs, and pass on U of A easily.
No reason to resort to personal attacks. Attack my argument, not me. Ad hominem attacks makes you sound like you're 13 years old.

ACC schools are under contract until 2034. Looks like they can't break it without a mass penalty either. Why today, in 2022, should we worry about the BIG 12 taking ACC schools? There's a reason why the BIG 12 didn't sign a long term deal. Their deal ends in 2030. Our deal will likely end in 29 or 30 too; still 4 years before any ACC school can bolt.

If Oregon and UW thought the BIG 12 had value for v them, they'd be gone already. But any BIG 12 deal would likely be enough additional money to cover the extra travel expenses for a year. Phil Knight had back channel conversations with the B1G and the SEC. If Oregon leaves, it will be for one of these conferences.

Meanwhile, the PAC TV contract will likely be worth more than the BIG 12. And yes, being the first college conference to go the streaming route has risk, how much brand equity has Arizona built being on ESPN and FOX under a PAC banner? Why would being on these two networks under a BIG 12 banner be any different? It won't. Especially since the BIG 12 has no schools with the brand equity like Oregon, UW, or even Stanford.

Sign a short term deal through no lawyer than 2030. By then, if the streaming experiment is a complete failure, Oregon and UW leave for the B1G, and it's so 4 years before the BIG 12 can add a single ACC team. Think they wait? Or do they pick up the most valuable PAC pieces waiting, that also happen to be a decent geo fit?

If streaming works, over the deal, we would have made more money than if we moved to the BIG 12, have less travel expenses, and gone to locations where we have larger alumni bases that many of our fans enjoy traveling to.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Choo - this is my only contribution I could come up with.

ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

EastCoastCat wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:04 am Choo - this is my only contribution I could come up with.

And it's beautiful.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

Can't attack the message, get called out for ad hominem attacks, what's left? Stupid memes. Thanks for confirming you have nothing left to combat my logic.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

AzCatFan2 wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:18 am Can't attack the message, get called out for ad hominem attacks, what's left? Stupid memes. Thanks for confirming you have nothing left to combat my logic.
I've combatted all your bullshit for months with better logic and it's been pointless. Literally the only question needed to combat your entire logic is "why?" Why waste the time and effort when nothing is to be gained except you get to keep your precious Seattle/Bay Area road trips for another 6 years. How does Arizona Athletics benefit from any of this? It doesn't. Either way all that's left for you at this point is memes. You suck. Wahhhh my road trips, wahhhhh.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Time for a simple poll. We are a microcosm of the entire fan base. I would love to see where the fans want to be.
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

AzCatFan2 wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:18 am Can't attack the message, get called out for ad hominem attacks, what's left? Stupid memes. Thanks for confirming you have nothing left to combat my logic.
Your message seems to boil down to wanting to stay in a dying conference because you’re scared of change. I’d say you’re lucky anyone is responding at all.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

First, my memes are not stupid. They are creative and well thought out so watch yourself. :P

To your other point, there are 32 pages of "combat" going on. Everyone's opinion and position has been posted ad nauseum.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

azcat49 wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 8:15 am Time for a simple poll. We are a microcosm of the entire fan base. I would love to see where the fans want to be.
I think it is close to 50 50 among the fan base overall. 50% want to leave today for the Big 12. 50% want more information before deciding. I am in the wanting more information camp. The fall of the PAC-12 is not a done deal like some suggest. If Oregon and Washington could bring value to the Big Ten it would be,
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

PHXCATS wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:06 am
azcat49 wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 8:15 am Time for a simple poll. We are a microcosm of the entire fan base. I would love to see where the fans want to be.
I think it is close to 50 50 among the fan base overall. 50% want to leave today for the Big 12. 50% want more information before deciding. I am in the wanting more information camp. The fall of the PAC-12 is not a done deal like some suggest. If Oregon and Washington could bring value to the Big Ten it would be,
It's not 50/50.

The fanbase doesn't want endless late night games and a lack of visibility. That's literally been the main complaint for the past decade. Staying in the Pac-12 with this upcoming TV deal ensures that will continue. You're fooling yourself if you think 50% of the fanbase is cool with that.

Also the B1G may be ok with having the LA schools on an absolute island for awhile, but that won't last for long. Oregon, UW, and some others will be added. There's a timeline on the Pac-12 and everybody knows it.
Last edited by ChooChooCat on Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

I think it is close to 50 50 among the fan base overall. 50% want to leave today for the Big 12. 50% want more information before deciding. I am in the wanting more information camp. The fall of the PAC-12 is not a done deal like some suggest. If Oregon and Washington could bring value to the Big Ten it would be, but those schools cant come close to making it worth it for the Big Ten at this time.........Unless Nike really really really wants Oregon in the Big Ten and is willing to pay hundreds of millions to get them there. No sign Nike wants it that bad at this time
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

AzCatFan2 wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:31 am
ChooChooCat wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:02 am

No reason to resort to personal attacks. Attack my argument, not me. Ad hominem attacks makes you sound like you're 13 years old.

ACC schools are under contract until 2034. Looks like they can't break it without a mass penalty either. Why today, in 2022, should we worry about the BIG 12 taking ACC schools? There's a reason why the BIG 12 didn't sign a long term deal. Their deal ends in 2030. Our deal will likely end in 29 or 30 too; still 4 years before any ACC school can bolt.

If Oregon and UW thought the BIG 12 had value for v them, they'd be gone already. But any BIG 12 deal would likely be enough additional money to cover the extra travel expenses for a year. Phil Knight had back channel conversations with the B1G and the SEC. If Oregon leaves, it will be for one of these conferences.

Meanwhile, the PAC TV contract will likely be worth more than the BIG 12. And yes, being the first college conference to go the streaming route has risk, how much brand equity has Arizona built being on ESPN and FOX under a PAC banner? Why would being on these two networks under a BIG 12 banner be any different? It won't. Especially since the BIG 12 has no schools with the brand equity like Oregon, UW, or even Stanford.

Sign a short term deal through no lawyer than 2030. By then, if the streaming experiment is a complete failure, Oregon and UW leave for the B1G, and it's so 4 years before the BIG 12 can add a single ACC team. Think they wait? Or do they pick up the most valuable PAC pieces waiting, that also happen to be a decent geo fit?

If streaming works, over the deal, we would have made more money than if we moved to the BIG 12, have less travel expenses, and gone to locations where we have larger alumni bases that many of our fans enjoy traveling to.
"If Oregon and UW thought the BIG 12 had value for v them, they'd be gone already"

Wrong.

UO/UW want a B1G invite. If they don't get it (entirely possible), they will look to maximize their value elsewhere. If the Big12 has a better TV contract they will have NO issue moving there in a heartbeat............in which case the poor old UA may end up in a watered down P12/MWC leftover conference.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Unless the Big 12 is at 20 members, UA will always be welcomed into the Big 12 with open arms. The idea that UA needs to move now or risk going to the MW is wrong
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

ChooChooCat wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:07 am
It's not 50/50.

The fanbase doesn't want endless late night games and a lack of visibility. That's literally been the main complaint for the past decade. Staying in the Pac-12 with this upcoming TV deal ensures that will continue. You're fooling yourself if you think 50% of the fanbase is cool with that.

Also the B1G may be ok with having the LA schools on an absolute island for awhile, but that won't last for long. Oregon, UW, and some others will be added. There's a timeline on the Pac-12 and everybody knows it.
You always seem to confuse wanting more information and wanting to stay in the PAC no matter what
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

PHXCATS wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:18 am
ChooChooCat wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:07 am
It's not 50/50.

You always seem to confuse wanting more information and wanting to stay in the PAC no matter what
Ok so you admit there's 3 camps then. You can't have a 50/50 split with 3 camps man.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

PHXCATS wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:17 am Unless the Big 12 is at 20 members, UA will always be welcomed into the Big 12 with open arms. The idea that UA needs to move now or risk going to the MW is wrong
This is a dumb post. You are grossly overestimating Arizona Athletics, especially in regards for a conference that currently isn't west of Texas in any way. Motivations change with time along with more options to choose from. Arizona doesn't have a for sure home in the Big 12 in the future. It just doesn't.
Last edited by ChooChooCat on Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

PHXCATS wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:17 am Unless the Big 12 is at 20 members, UA will always be welcomed into the Big 12 with open arms. The idea that UA needs to move now or risk going to the MW is wrong
Also Wrong. You have no idea how many additions the Big12 is willing to take.
SabinoDrifter

Post by SabinoDrifter »

It should also be noted 109,000 people attended this game in the middle of fucking nowhere Pennsylvania, but yeah, let's go Amazon Prime for Washington-Arizona!
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Botched the conference network
Put a bounty on our coach
Late, late games that last until Sunday
Limited national networks
Top 2 teams gone
Next 2 will bolt
No stability
Decreased future visibility
Dreadful basketball competition
Inept football officiating

Or we can

Big two networks plus a conference network
Nearly equal revenue
Passionate fans
Stability
Mega conference with P5 teams
Great start times
Killer basketball league

This is such a no brainer. Why does anyone need more information?
Last edited by azcat49 on Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

The BIG 12 TV contract is worth $31.8 million per school. By all media leaks, the PAC will land somewhere between $34 and $36 million per school. There is an elevator clause in the BIG 12, and if Oregon and UW goes, it would likely be enacted. But even if that's an additional $5 million per school, that's only $2 to $3 million more for UO and UW. Does this even cover the additional travel costs for these schools? Remember, it's not just football, but all sports that would have to travel more. If the B1G offer UW and OU $40 million more a year, travel costs are moot. But $3 million more a year, travel costs are pertinent.

By staying in the PAC this round, we will make more money. It's unlikely we'd enact the elevator clause by going to the BIG 12, and I'd rather make a few million more a year by staying in the PAC through this round of contract negotiations. And it's not just for personal reasons. More money is more money. We also have more alumni and get more students from other PAC areas versus BIG 12 areas, which leads to more alumni donations and more out of state student enrollments. Which also means more money for the school overall.

As far as TV eyeballs, Arizona football is a Tier 3 property most weeks. Does anyone honestly think an Arizona football game is getting prime TV spots on ESPN competing against the SEC, ACC, and other BIG 12 schools? How about FOX, with the B1G and BIG 12? And let's remember, these large networks also have pro sports contracts, so they are obligated to show things like MLB playoff games which happen during football season. Tier 3 BIG 12 will be no better than what we have today, which is Tier 3 PAC, which is the PAC-12 Network. At least with Amazon, most households will have PAC-12 Network access. And hopefully Amazon adds to their DirecTv agreement and puts PAC sports on the same feed as TNF, which means PAC-12 Network games in sports bars.

As for men's basketball, once UCLA is gone, we will be the PAC flagbearers along with Oregon. Put is in the BIG 12, yes, there are more big match-ups. But that means more BIG 12 games ESPN can choose from for their Tier 1 games on ABC and on the family of networks. Stay in the PAC, and ESPN will be contractually obligated to show a number of PAC men's basketball games on ABC, ESPN, and ESPN 2. Once UCLA is gone, who draws more TV eyeballs during basketball season in the PAC than Arizona?

A short term contract with ESPN holding T1 rights, and a streaming service like Amazon with the rest that makes more money than the BIG 12 TV contract is in our best interest right now. We make more money, stay with schools that are a better geo fit for our alumni and students, and don't lose much, if any brand equity from tv appearances. In fact, gambling with Amazon, we might actually gain some? Only time will tell.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

I couldn't ignore the post above me fast enough. Man this ignore list thing is nice.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Late night kicks will increase in the Big 12 most likely for home football games
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I would take 3m less a year to move out of this two bit joke of a conference. I say this as a football first guy who understands we might not get the best times but we will be on a network more times than this dilly conference.

Speaking to basketball, the power in that league has raised all the programs. There is a reason they have won two out of the last three tournaments. They are battle tested when they get there. Our league is paper soft and it works against us.

You can shout to the moon about the PAC but the reality is they moving is a far superior decision, at least for this fan. I hope our leaders are asking the fan base
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

PHXCATS wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:37 am Late night kicks will increase in the Big 12 most likely for home football games
Are you saying with the 4 corners or regardless?
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

ChooChooCat wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:39 am
PHXCATS wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:37 am Late night kicks will increase in the Big 12 most likely for home football games
If at least 2 others current PAC-12 schools or SDSU move with us
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

PHXCATS wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:40 am
Well yeah, they would like the late night window as it would lead to more money for them. Once again though a handful of late night games is better than ALL late night games, especially for our basketball program, which let's be honest is what matters.

Are you seriously trying to argue that the Big 12 getting some late night games if we join is a reason to stay in the Pac-12, which is all late night games though? I just don't get the motivation of your post.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

Less money hurts all sports. We've lost coaches to SEC schools like when JJ left us for to coach LSU Baseball because LSU can pay more. $3 million a year less to go to the BIG 12 would hurt the smaller sports.

As for being battle tested in basketball, does it hurt Gonzaga to be in the WCC? Are they complaining their conference competition is subpar? We did just fine last year, and I think our Sweet 16 exit was due to having almost zero Big Dance experience on the roster. Only Ballo had played in a NCAA tournament game. This year, a lot more experience.

Last, we're talking short term only. No contract we sign should go past 2030. In 2030, ACC teams would still be under contract for four years and unable to move. And we would have 5 years of the Amazon experiment under our belt. Plus, USC and UCLA and the B1G will know if they need to add more west coast teams by then. If they do, and we're not invited as expected, then the BIG 12 becomes our best option. Until then, the BIG 12 is less money for locations that have less alumni and future students for us.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

ChooChooCat wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:42 am
Well yeah, they would like the late night window as it would lead to more money for them. Once again though a handful of late night games is better than ALL late night games, especially for our basketball program, which let's be honest is what matters.

Are you seriously trying to argue that the Big 12 getting some late night games if we join is a reason to stay in the Pac-12, which is all late night games though? I just don't get the motivation of your post.
I am seeing a lot of people saying the current amount of late night kickoffs are a reason to move to the Big 12. That won't improve most likely in football by moving.

Yes the number of late night tipoff will go down. But kickoff times for home games and some road games will actually get worse.

I am correcting the false narrative
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

PHXCATS wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:49 am
ChooChooCat wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:42 am

I am seeing a lot of people saying the current amount of late night kickoffs are a reason to move to the Big 12. That won't improve most likely in football by moving.

Yes the number of late night tipoff will go down. But kickoff times for home games and some road games will actually get worse.

I am correcting the false narrative
Your entire post is literally a false narrative. I can't believe you typed that and expect anyone to take you seriously.