Let's talk '23

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

84Cat

Re: Let's talk '23

Post by 84Cat »

Are we looking at any of these other Euros?
Bordercat

Post by Bordercat »

so other than the couple of mysterious Euros nobody knows about we still have four open schollies next year? This is crazy.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Nobody knows anything domestic or foreign what we are doing. CTL keeps his cards close to the vest and while there is always speculation the guys that cover Arizona only have so much info and only that info that the staff would let slip out.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

TheCat wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 1:13 pm Nobody knows anything domestic or foreign what we are doing. CTL keeps his cards close to the vest and while there is always speculation the guys that cover Arizona only have so much info and only that info that the staff would let slip out.

You are correct, but from my understanding coaches are not allowed to comment on recruits until they are signed. If there is a leak in the AD, that is a problem. My guess would be the recruits talking more to pundits as their sources.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

TheCat wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 1:13 pm Nobody knows anything domestic or foreign what we are doing. CTL keeps his cards close to the vest and while there is always speculation the guys that cover Arizona only have so much info and only that info that the staff would let slip out.
Too bad there isn’t an assistant that would leak program info to local sports reporters.
What could go wrong there?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

PHXCATS wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 6:22 pm
Bordercat wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 6:12 pm
dmjcat wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 12:37 pm Scheers not doing so well with his Crystal Balls
this why people are pissed. Lloyd didn't do any homework because he was sure he had the ace in the hole with Nembhardt. And now we are scrambling and behind the 8 ball. Love Lloyd. But come on man do your homework. This fundamental shit.
You have zero clue that Lloyd was that confident in Nembhard. All you have is the awful daily podcaster, Scheer and 247 "crystal balls" none of which have direct quotes or conversations with Lloyd
Uhhh Lloyd was very confident in landing Nembhard and was given every reason to be. He was played. Either way his confidence is why he didn’t pursue anybody else in the portal. He was dealt pocket deuces when he was led to believe he had pocket Aces. God willing he learned a major lesson here.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Dave wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:59 pm It is pretty obvious our so called recruiting experts have very limited information.
They had the same information that Tommy Lloyd had.
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

Getting punked by your old boss has to be a sobering moment for any coach who truly wants to be great. So I guess we’re about to find out what Tommy’s made of.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

ChooChooCat wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 4:30 am
dmjcat wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 12:37 pm Scheers not doing so well with his Crystal Balls
this why people are pissed. Lloyd didn't do any homework because he was sure he had the ace in the hole with Nembhardt. And now we are scrambling and behind the 8 ball. Love Lloyd. But come on man do your homework. This fundamental shit.
You have zero clue that Lloyd was that confident in Nembhard. All you have is the awful daily podcaster, Scheer and 247 "crystal balls" none of which have direct quotes or conversations with Lloyd
Uhhh Lloyd was very confident in landing Nembhard and was given every reason to be. He was played. Either way his confidence is why he didn’t pursue anybody else in the portal. He was dealt pocket deuces when he was led to believe he had pocket Aces. God willing he learned a major lesson here.
How was he played then?
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

PHXCATS wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 6:36 am
How was he played then?
I played him like a fucking fiddle when I ran Nembhard off the recruiting list. Everybody knows that.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
CopaCat

Post by CopaCat »

It seems Lloyd has a tendency to allow players to leave campus without committing. Look at Nate Oats and Wrightsell. Wrightsell still had 2 visits but committed on the spot. Lloyd needs to use NIL to his advantage. Don't let them leave campus without a commit. Seems to nice and continues to get kicked in the nuts because of it.
Bordercat

Post by Bordercat »

CopaCat wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:43 am It seems Lloyd has a tendency to allow players to leave campus without committing. Look at Nate Oats and Wrightsell. Wrightsell still had 2 visits but committed on the spot. Lloyd needs to use NIL to his advantage. Don't let them leave campus without a commit. Seems to nice and continues to get kicked in the nuts because of it.
this is my impression. Close the deal.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

NIL is an issue for Arizona not a benefit based on comments by Scheer and others
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

How was he played then?
He was blatantly lied to by the Nembhards.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Did they lie or change their minds when Few landed the Timme money?
Either way, I guess he needs to learn to trust no one until he has the name on the line.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

ChooChooCat wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:13 am

How was he played then?
Do you think they were using CTL all along to get a better offer?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

That doesn’t reflect well on the family at all.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Dave

Post by Dave »

That is seriously messed up!
CopaCat

Post by CopaCat »

Not sure why anyone would be surprised about someone not keeping their word when they can get more money. It's part of the reason I believe NIL is going to turn out to be a disaster. We are basically turning these kids and families into a bunch of money grubbing assholes when they should be developing postive traits. You know, like commitment, teamwork, etc. Guess the NCAA is just getting them prepped for society though, lol.
Bordercat

Post by Bordercat »

Postmaster wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:30 am

How was he played then?
I would conclude from what we are hearing here that they leveraged the offer from Lloyd to get more money with the Zags. Regardless, if the family is lying to Lloyd after having a relationship with him, then that is messed up.

Poor Lloyd I bet it hurts bad to be screwed over like this.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Seems like Few kinda screwed CTL
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I used to be a Niners fan when I lived in SF. I recall watching an interviewer asking Steve Young if he was friends with Joe Montana. Young said no, they were two highly competitive players seeking the same job.

I imagine college coaching friendships are that way too. It's one thing to share a beer after a game, but another to land elite recruits.
CopaCat

Post by CopaCat »

Postmaster wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 12:16 pm Seems like Few kinda screwed CTL
I don't think poaching a recruit means Few did anything wrong other than having the resources, know how, and energy to make it happen. Tommy knows this but "awe shucks" might be getting in the way.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Merkin wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 12:29 pm I used to be a Niners fan when I lived in SF. I recall watching an interviewer asking Steve Young if he was friends with Joe Montana. Young said no, they were two highly competitive players seeking the same job.

I imagine college coaching friendships are that way too. It's one thing to share a beer after a game, but another to land elite recruits.
I bet Young and Montana never shared a beer after a game. Maybe a Sprite, but not a beer. :D
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Bordercat

Post by Bordercat »

CopaCat wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 12:49 pm
I don't think poaching a recruit means Few did anything wrong other than having the resources, know how, and energy to make it happen. Tommy knows this but "awe shucks" might be getting in the way.
can't blame Few or the Nembhardts. At the end of the day, I'm thinking the schools more or less the same, they went where the money was best. As soon as the visit was set to go to Gonzaga, Lloyd should have started working on backup plans.
CopaCat

Post by CopaCat »

Bordercat wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 1:38 pm
can't blame Few or the Nembhardts. At the end of the day, I'm thinking the schools more or less the same, they went where the money was best. As soon as the visit was set to go to Gonzaga, Lloyd should have started working on backup plans.
Lloyd should have never let the Nembhardts ever get to Gonzaga. That is what he needs to learn from this. Be Sean Miller, never let them leave Tucson without becoming an Arizona Wildcat.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

CopaCat wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 2:08 pm
Lloyd should have never let the Nembhardts ever get to Gonzaga. That is what he needs to learn from this. Be Sean Miller, never let them leave Tucson without becoming an Arizona Wildcat.
Nembhard visited Gonzaga on Friday, and THEN Arizona on the weekend...

D'uh!!
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

If the family lied it is on them. Do what you want
Do what you think is best but don't lie. Terrible

Lots of people owe Lloyd an apology
arizonawildcats

Post by arizonawildcats »

TucsonCat

Post by TucsonCat »

Don’t let Few’s good ol’ boy routine fool you. He’s a bloodthirsty scumbag, who would literally run over his own mother in order to be canonized. There is a reason he’s never left Spokane, and if you think it’s because he loves the area, or that his family is close by, you couldn’t be more wrong. Few is an average coach at best, who has ridden the coattails of superior assistant coaches for years. They have established a mini-dynasty in the WCC, and he is terrified of taking on a job where the expectations are greater, but so is the talent pool he would have to compete against day in and day out. I can tell you this, if Gonzaga ever accepts an invitation to the Pac-12, or the Big-12, it is going to be over Few’s (kept hidden from the public) objections. He makes more money than he will ever need, but gets to couple that with the easy street path to a conference championship, and high seed, year after year with no stress on himself at all. He is generally awful with the public, rude to fans in the area, and doesn’t even show up to most of the camps that are “hosted” in his name. His goal in life is the same statue that Lute has, and he would stab anyone in the back to get there, as long as he can do it at Gonzaga, and not have to work too hard to make it happen. Not a fan, either as a coach, or more importantly, as a human being.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

A lot of Twitter chatter about AZ trying to get Jaden Bradley in for a visit
RaisingArizona

Post by RaisingArizona »

dmjcat wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 3:30 pm A lot of Twitter chatter about AZ trying to get Jaden Bradley in for a visit
That was immediately who I thought of since we recruited Bradley last year.
CopaCat

Post by CopaCat »

pc in NM wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 2:20 pm

D'uh!!
So he visited Gonzaga first and people are acting like Few stole him? Lol. Proves my point even more. We had the last visit and couldn't close.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

CopaCat wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 5:37 pm

D'uh!!
So he visited Gonzaga first and people are acting like Few stole him? Lol. Proves my point even more. We had the last visit and couldn't close.
You have no clue what “close” means in this context.

If you read the quotes from Nembhard above, you’d understand that the decision was made by the player, NOT a coach…
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
TucsonCat

Post by TucsonCat »

You may not like my description of Few, PC, but it’s true. I’ve met the man numerous times, both in private circles as well as professional, and he has, without fail, proven himself to be an arrogant, conceited, selfish, self-absorbed, prick. But he is very well aware of when the cameras are on him, believe me. His Jekyll & Hyde routine seriously rubs a lot Gonzaga followers in Spokane the wrong way, and many folks up here are counting the days until he’s gone. It’s why they were so upset when they lost Tommy to Arizona. But to each their own, my friend. I wont begrudge anyone liking him, based on the persona that the cameras pick up, and display, from afar.
CopaCat

Post by CopaCat »

pc in NM wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 6:21 pm
CopaCat wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 5:37 pm

D'uh!!
You have no clue what “close” means in this context.

If you read the quotes from Nembhard above, you’d understand that the decision was made by the player, NOT a coach…

Yeah I don't personally know what close means here, but deductive reasoning tells me it's a money issue. Lloyd isn't completely responsible there, but I do find it odd that Miller pretty much always closed in situations like these. That was before NIL though, so maybe I am giving Lloyd a little to much grief due to the drastic change in the recruiting landscape.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Merkin wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 12:29 pm I used to be a Niners fan when I lived in SF. I recall watching an interviewer asking Steve Young if he was friends with Joe Montana. Young said no, they were two highly competitive players seeking the same job.

But young was brought in to replace Joe.
I think it’s different, or should be, when you employed someone for 20 years.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Postmaster wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:30 am

How was he played then?
They could've been, but my issue is they could've used a litany of other college coaches that they didn't have a previous good relationship with, so why use Lloyd? I mean if that was their goal then needless to say the Nembhards are not good people.
CopaCat

Post by CopaCat »

Their goal was definitely to leverage money. The crazy thing is that Gonzaga apparently outbid us. That is concerning to me.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

CopaCat wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:15 am Their goal was definitely to leverage money. The crazy thing is that Gonzaga apparently outbid us. That is concerning to me.
Please cite one single piece of valid and credible evidence to support this - lacking that, this is no more than piece of bs.

― Kinky Friedman
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

CopaCat

Post by CopaCat »

pc in NM wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:42 am
CopaCat wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:15 am Their goal was definitely to leverage money. The crazy thing is that Gonzaga apparently outbid us. That is concerning to me.
Please cite one single piece of valid and credible evidence to support this - lacking that, this is no more than piece of bs.
Common fucking sense hombre, which I assume you don't have. It's as if you forgot how college ball works now or something. You think Nembhard just left Creighton for shits and giggles or what?
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

84Cat wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:13 am Are we looking at any of these other Euros?
Yes there is one there.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

gronk4heisman wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:26 am
84Cat wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:13 am Are we looking at any of these other Euros?
Yes there is one there.
It's pretty dumb that it's out there in the open now. Wonder how long the second one remains under wraps.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

CopaCat wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:25 am
Common fucking sense hombre, which I assume you don't have. It's as if you forgot how college ball works now or something. You think Nembhard just left Creighton for shits and giggles or what?
Common sense would say that if Gonzaga is signing people left and right and we are not we have more money left to spend, mixed with the fact that Arizona basketball has had better boosters for years. It was not about the money in this case and if by chance it was, then that is 100% on Lloyd and Heeke because there is no world where Gonzaga has more resources than Arizona, let alone 4 times the resources needed to land 3 top thirty transfers and a top recruit.
CopaCat

Post by CopaCat »

gronk4heisman wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:37 am
CopaCat wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:25 am
Common sense would say that if Gonzaga is signing people left and right and we are not we have more money left to spend, mixed with the fact that Arizona basketball has had better boosters for years. It was not about the money in this case and if by chance it was, then that is 100% on Lloyd and Heeke because there is no world where Gonzaga has more resources than Arizona, let alone 4 times the resources needed to land 3 top thirty transfers and a top recruit.
If your brother has a relationship with both coaches and originally you were seemingly all in on Zona and then somehow end up at Gonzaga because of "Trust". Then I have to assume this was a money issue. Either we offered the same and Nembhart really did trust Few more(which is not a good look for Tommy) or they outbid us. Or maybe there is a 3rd reason where Few's Alien army came down and abducted Nembhart and forced him to commit to Gonzaga. Yes, I will go with that explanation.

Edit: An actual option other than the above could be that the early leaks of Nemby going to Arizona spooked Nembhart(thus the trust issue)
Dave

Post by Dave »

When was the last time we switched a recruit when all signs we pointing away from us?
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

You can tell that we aren’t used to losing recruiting battles.

Personally, I don’t need to know why we lost them. I need Tommy Lloyd & Co to know why we lost them and to make sure they do everything in their power not to lose them again.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Dave wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 10:14 am When was the last time we switched a recruit when all signs we pointing away from us?
Tolbert?
Othick?
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

ChooChooCat wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 4:44 am
Dave wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:59 pm It is pretty obvious our so called recruiting experts have very limited information.
They had the same information that Tommy Lloyd had.
Doubt that. Hope Tommy is more informed than a couple of guys trying to make a living off of program/player connections.