Conference Realignment

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

TheCatInTheHat

For Bill Walton

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

I figure, what the hell; we might as we embrace it...

RondaeShimmy

Re: Conference Realignment

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Alieberman wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 1:00 pm They really need to get that Wall built between California and AZ quick!

How did we just land a California recruit today?????
"Plus they're going to the Big 12 now and I'm very excited about that. Arizona is definitely on the come up right now."

Cal kids don't give a fuck about the pac 12.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

I'm at my granddaughter's birthday party and my daughter's father in law is a WSU alum. He is completely pissed off about the whole thing. WSU is screwed
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

CalStateTempe wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 1:56 pm
Dude is old as fuck, there's nothing groundbreaking or innovative about apple TV
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

To be fair, the Harrison kid was previously committed to BYU so he was already in the Big 12
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

RondaeShimmy wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 2:12 pm
CalStateTempe wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 1:56 pm
Dude is old as fuck, there's nothing groundbreaking or innovative about apple TV
The way he was talking about it in this interview is like he was still trying to sell it. So inept.
Mike Luke's burner account.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

It's amazing how Tempe hasn't run Crow out of town yet. Dude just doesn't get it. Meanwhile we're feeling like this:

“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Just covering up the tracks of ineptitude.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

So much innovation...
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Capital Tiger

Post by Capital Tiger »

Hey guys,

I'm an LSU Tiger fan and have been watching this thread all week for y'all's perspective on the pac-12 death march. It has been enjoyable to be a "part" of your group. Congrats on having survived and setting up your football team for the future. It was the right move and that was clear the moment the foggy details of the Apple+ TV deal was revealed.

Also, it seems like y'all really hate asu. It should be fun to have them with you in the Big XII.

I've been an secondary Arizona supporter since the halcyon days of Ortege Jenkins! https://youtu.be/SIwiYG1DSM8
Geaux Tigers
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Welcome!
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

I don't know if cal and Stanford's academic requirements would let them join the mountain west. They may just become independents if they don't get in the big 10
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Capital Tiger

Post by Capital Tiger »

Oh yeah, PHXCATS was definitely wrong on his stance - "guys, let's stay in the Pac-X conference... Just see how it works out..."

And this is my first time learning about Michael Crow. OMG he really is the worst. So glad our dude is nothing like him. "guys, Apple+ TV would have been just the best..."
Geaux Tigers
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Hey Pac-12, it’s been real. We had some good times — really good times — and some not-so-good times.

Banners have been hung, tournaments were taken over by our fans. The scent of roses was never picked up, but we’d rather not talk about that.

There were big games and crazy finishes, with #Pac12AfterDark being a rather terrifying thing. Unless you had DirecTV, in which case you were not affected by the late-night shenanigans. Or those that happened in the daytime, either.

But I digress.

All good things must come to an end, and so too must Arizona’s relationship with you.

We’ll miss you. Not really. OK, maybe a little. But not too much.

After all, being disappointed in your collapse is fair, but it’s kinda your own fault that things even got to this point. You made many mistakes, and now you’re paying the price.

Of course, we understand you were hoping this wouldn’t happen. You probably banked on the idea of keeping established rivalries, but unlucky for you ASU, Utah and Colorado are also heading for the Big 12 and UCLA was already off to the Big 10. So do you really expect us to lament the loss of Arizona vs. Oregon State, or the Wildcats vs. Cal? Maybe there is some sick person who enjoyed making the trip to Pullman, but that’s hardly the norm.

Nah, as your ship continued to sink it became clear the best course of action was to seek out a life raft, and one was thrown by the Big 12.

Maybe you see this as a safety conference, but you’re wrong. The Big 12 offers a solid media rights deal and stability. It also features excellent college towns and programs across various sports, some obvious.

I mean, Arizona vs. Kansas in men’s basketball? How about games against Houston or Baylor? Please and thank you.

Football has some excellent matchups too, and no doubt other sports will find healthy competition and in time will develop new rivalries. This will be fun!

Now, we understand there will be challenges with travel and perhaps even different styles of play within individual sports, and recruiting may have to adapt now without guaranteed games in the California, Oregon or Washington. But progress always comes at a cost, and if Arizona plays things right this one should be minimal.

Besides, that is no longer your problem to worry about and I’m betting Arizona’s leadership has considered all of this.

No, despite your last-ditch efforts to salvage things it became clear in recent days that your best ones were in the past. You may be the Conference of Champions, but today’s college athletics requires more than that. It requires more than history, traditions and Bill Walton.

If Arizona was to not only survive, but thrive it needed at least what the Big 12 had to offer. Maybe school president Dr. Robert C. Robbins said it best in a statement.

“Our move to the Big 12 Conference will continue to raise the University’s profile by increasing visibility, growing our reach across the country and around the globe, expanding our pool of prospective students, providing more resources to support our student-athletes, and presenting them with greater NIL prospects,” he said. “We look forward to beginning a new era next year with fresh opportunities for athletics to fulfill its Wildcat Way mission to develop academic, athletic, and life champions.”

Profile ... Visibility ... Reach ... Globe ... NIL ...

All of these are important, and all would have been made more difficult due to the Pac-12’s collapse whereas now the school now gets to be a part of something that is quite literally growing.

Come on, you know it’s true.

So yeah, we had a good run. But at the end of the day we both know it was time for a change. We’re sorry that means leaving you behind, but it was what’s best for Arizona.

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/2023/8/5/ ... criticisms
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Capital Tiger wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 7:14 pm Oh yeah, PHXCATS was definitely wrong on his stance - "guys, let's stay in the Pac-X conference... Just see how it works out..."

And this is my first time learning about Michael Crow. OMG he really is the worst. So glad our dude is nothing like him. "guys, Apple+ TV would have been just the best..."
All good man. I really just don't want UA to be way behind in the next round. But after all the dust settled and a day to reflect, I miss the PAC-12 but I am relieved we are where we are

Hope to be in the B1G or SEC if they go super conferences in the future but that is years down the line. Just gotta live today and prepare for tomorrow
Last edited by PHXCATS on Sat Aug 05, 2023 8:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

I will fully admit I was wrong if the ACC blows up. I just don't see why espn wouldn't fight to the death to keep it with how profitable it is for them.

But if it blows up I would much rather have ACC schools join us in the Big 12 than UConn or Gonzaga

Figure if it blows up Florida St Miami Clemson and North Carolina go to the B1G or SEC. Take the next best ones. NC State. Pitt. Wake. Virginia. Virginia Tech
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Capital Tiger wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 7:14 pm Oh yeah, PHXCATS was definitely wrong on his stance - "guys, let's stay in the Pac-X conference... Just see how it works out..."

Do us all a favor and go punch Jay Johnson in the dick.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

PHXCATS wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 8:33 pm

All good man. I really just don't want UA to be way behind in the next round. But after all the dust settled and a day to reflect, I miss the PAC-12 but I am relieved we are where we are

Hope to be in the B1G or SEC if they go super conferences in the future but that is years down the line. Just gotta live today and prepare for tomorrow
Yes. Arizona is going to play far more competitive teams in the Big 12. Arizona stadium should have far more fans a game, even if it is the visiting fans. Arizona is going to have more money and exposure. Will we have an opportunity to start building a brand in football when the next media deals are signed?
Capital Tiger

Post by Capital Tiger »

azgreg wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 8:44 pm

Do us all a favor and go punch Jay Johnson in the dick.
No way sir! We all LOVE Jay Johnson on the bayou!
Geaux Tigers
Capital Tiger

Post by Capital Tiger »

PHXCATS wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 8:33 pm All good man. I really just don't want UA to be way behind in the next round. But after all the dust settled and a day to reflect, I miss the PAC-12 but I am relieved we are where we are

In all seriousness, I don't ever see the SEC expanding further west than we already are. We are a great league now, and truly don't need anyone else. The only moves that make sense are regional "protect our turf" moves: Taking Florida State, North Carolina, etc., so that the B1G doesn't get a foothold in the south. I would be shocked if anything happens with the ACC for minimum 10 years, however.

Arizona has much work to be seen as worthy of a B1G invite in the future, should they look to expand. Think about Oregon before Rich Brooks/Mike Bellioti. They broke through and won the Rose Bowl in 1994, and have been a consistent pac power for the last 30 years. Arizona needs to replicate that type of run to earn their way to the very top leagues. Good news is that there are no Goliaths in the Big XII. Go win there; build the brand; win the league; win a playoff game or two.

Overall, everyone would have preferred seeing the Pac stay together. But with the events that came to pass, you made the very best choice for your university that you could have. (Despite Mr. Crow's best efforts to sabotage.)
Geaux Tigers
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Hi guys.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

ChooChooCat wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 6:22 amHi guys.
Give us something pithy Choo…
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

The PAC is going to sue Fox and ESPIN for collusion
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

azcat49 wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 6:30 am The PAC is going to sue Fox and ESPIN for collusion
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

The PAC should. They absolutely have a strong case.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Alieberman wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 12:02 pm
My guess is Stanford went begging to the B1G first. They should feel pretty insulted by B1G instead pursuing Oregon, a state school far below the academic reputation of Stanford. Nevertheless, I won't miss sharing a conference with Stanford or Cal. And I never want to share a conference with Oregon or Washington again. Duck and Huskies fans are the worst.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

Uhh...made the mistake of reading Hansen this morning before my two cups of Pike. Trashes Tucson, the place he's lived for 40 years. Calls it Death Valley; the neighbors must love that. But he only did it for the money. (Yeah, those big-money medium market newspaper guys.) And of course, the Big XII is going to suck. Because watching TCU, Baylor, Houston, Texas Tech, Kansas St, and yes, West Virginia, is so much worse than watching Oregon St with their rabid rodent helmet or always-mighty Cal. What must really suck is going through life with Eeyore's attitude. If your life's so crappy, change it; otherwise, look in the mirror at the cause of it all. And once his buddy Wilner finishes up his persuasive essays on what caused the demise of the Pac-12, what's left? The entire west coast worrying about poor Stanford and Cal? Not me; I'm into schadenfreude.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

PHXCATS wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 7:50 am The PAC should. They absolutely have a strong case.
Lol what's their case exactly?
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

So now we really gotta get in the weeds of all this

What will scheduling look like?

1 protected 8 rotating
1 protected 8 random
4 4team pods with 6 rotating

Basketball I hope it is two protected home and homes and our two are Kansas and asu
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Canzano and Mandell being the primary sources for this story that the remaining 9 were ready to sign the GOR to stay in the PAC makes me think it’s bullshit. There’s no way Arizona was signing that deal. And if they were, why didn't anyone indicate the deal was good enough to keep the conference together?

I think writers are trying to cover their ass after putting out obvious disinformation from their sources with agendas.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

ASSU are such punk ass bitches
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

At least the big 12 members all know to hate asu from the start

Utah too
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Arizona will be the darling of the new members.

Arizona State will assume their typical place as being the assholes who track dogshit in on your new carpet after refusing to take off their shoes.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

These guys will really get a first hand look at a hated rivalry. They will be floored when they see us root for basically 2 teams - us and whoever is playing ASSU.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Our Big 12 friends are going to know why we call ASSU the scum really fast. Usually fans just hate one player of a non rival, now they will hate the whole school
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

ASU hated from coast to coast and it's not even because their good. Sad!
Mike Luke's burner account.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Way to make a first impression asu.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

This is a pretty spot on epic rant.

“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

I wonder if any of the athletes from Stanford, Cal, Oregon State and Washington State will look to transfer to the UofA in the next year? The non-revenue sports could definitely benefit from a transfer or two.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

Irish27 wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 4:11 pm I wonder if any of the athletes from Stanford, Cal, Oregon State and Washington State will look to transfer to the UofA in the next year? The non-revenue sports could definitely benefit from a transfer or two.
That is a great point. Maybe the Cats can get football players from OSU or Wazzu. There won't be much available for basketball.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

I’m not sure why anyone thinks asu is out “rival” anymore. The bands and the pep squads did joint routines at halftime last game. The PA guy gave some speech about unity and sportsmanship.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

azgreg wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 2:33 pm
Does he not know Utah and Colorado have been in the same conference for the last decade?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

EastCoastCat wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 1:38 pm These guys will really get a first hand look at a hated rivalry. They will be floored when they see us root for basically 2 teams - us and whoever is playing ASSU.
Because honestly outside of Utah/BYU there aren't any real intense rivalries in this new big 12 now that Texas and Oklahoma are going to be gone. I mean Kansas and KSU are rivals and Texas Tech/TCU/Baylor/Houston are all old big 8 or whatever rivals but none of them really consider each other their main rivals. Our rivalry with ASU is absolutely the biggest and most intense in this new conference.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

AZCatGirl wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 4:01 pm This is a pretty spot on epic rant.

That was great!!
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.