The Big 12 Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Merkin

Re: The Big 12 Thread

Post by Merkin »

Obviously don't have any sources, but thought I read where WSU/OSU to the B12 only if the PAC-2 gives up all PAC assets and all future PAC moneys (e.g. past NCAA tourney money paid in a future date) to the B12. Considerable amount of money, and like Oregon and UDub in the B1G, probably only get half shares to start.
Winger

Post by Winger »

ChooChooCat wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2024 7:38 am
Winger wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2024 12:36 pm Anyone else heard, or is it otherwise out there, that the B12 is adding WSU and OSU?

I heard this past week that that was going down and to expect an announcement within the next couple months.

Sourcing is difficult for me to attest to however.
If it happens I don't think it happens until 2026. Reason being that they own all the rights to the Pac-12 at this point and if they leave before Summer 2026 then everything gets split up between all 12 Pac members. I doubt OSU/Wazzu or the Big 12 wants any of that money or rights to the television network equipment going to the remaining 6 old Pac 12 schools.

Where have you heard that noise from Winger? If you're getting it from your sources then I'm willing to take the thought of it more seriously.
Not my usual peeps.

TCU dude who said 1) TCU was trying everything to get in to the B1G (wished him luck, told him Robbins tried the same) and 2) a very good sourse iho said that OSU and WSU to the B12 was a done deal.

Most of my peeps are still trying to get their tish together after our new AD put the kaibash on Learfield (or have left the AD lol).
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

I don’t see the value add.

Two schools in the middle of nowhere will just add travel expenses to the rest of the conf without a big brand to help the conf profile.

Yay, we just added the scraps of the P12!

I could be wrong, but that’s how I see it.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

The contingency is that certain schools wont have to travel there.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Winger

Post by Winger »

wyo-cat wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2024 6:09 pm I don’t see the value add.

Two schools in the middle of nowhere will just add travel expenses to the rest of the conf without a big brand to help the conf profile.

Agree with you on the travel piece. But the B12 already added the scraps of the Pac when it brought on Arizona et al.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Winger wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2024 9:17 pm

Agree with you on the travel piece. But the B12 already added the scraps of the Pac when it brought on Arizona et al.
True, but AZ, CO and UT are pretty easy to get to.

We’ll see. I’m no Nostradamus.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I’d rather have to travel to OSU and WSU than West Virginia or Central Florida.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Truth be told the value is short term via the remaining Pac-12 assets, although maybe kinda long term if there's value with the network equipment and such that could be used for a good while. My guess is the motivation is the Big12 would have more funds to add Clemson/FSU.

Honestly I only see their fit as football only members (maybe throw in baseball for the Beavs as well). Yormark is trying to grow the basketball revenue pot as well and obviously those two schools don't do jack shit in that regard. I could envision a world where we add the Beavs/Cougs in football only, they join the WCC for everything else outside of baseball for the Beavs, and we take on UCONN, Gonzaga, or whatever basketball school you can think of.
Last edited by ChooChooCat on Sun Aug 18, 2024 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Alieberman wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2024 6:02 am I’d rather have to travel to OSU and WSU than West Virginia or Central Florida.
OSU is only a short trip from Portland so it's not bad. Wazzu though, blah screw that. Would rather travel to Orlando over that road trip any day.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

ChooChooCat wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2024 6:54 am
Alieberman wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2024 6:02 am I’d rather have to travel to OSU and WSU than West Virginia or Central Florida.
OSU is only a short trip from Portland so it's not bad. Wazzu though, blah screw that. Would rather travel to Orlando over that road trip any day.
I'll admit... I'm certainly biased based on my hatred of all things Orlando
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Alieberman wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2024 7:08 am
ChooChooCat wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2024 6:54 am
I'll admit... I'm certainly biased based on my hatred of all things Orlando
I’ve never been to Orlando. I feel the same about Florida in general.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Orlando sucks
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

First game for FCU is August 29th at 4pm.

What is the weather like in Orlando in late August?

The average daily temperature in Orlando in August ranges from 23°C (73°F) to 33°C (91°F). Daytime temperatures often reach the mid to high 30s Celsius (90s Fahrenheit), while nighttime temperatures rarely drop below 23°C (73°F).
Winger

Post by Winger »

wyo-cat wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2024 10:34 pm
Winger wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2024 9:17 pm

True, but AZ, CO and UT are pretty easy to get to.

We’ll see. I’m no Nostradamus.
Agree with that as well, and don't take me the wrong way; though the "4 corners" were scraps of the Pac all add significant value in multiple ways to the B12. WSU and OSU are more scrappy and would come in about even with the rest of the B12 conference. This is part of why I am bummed those traitorous bitches SC and UCLA killed off the Pac and Arizona got relegated. Hopefully Robbins is/was right and this all blows up by 2028 and Arizona finds a better solution/home.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Winger-domus…where do we land?

We’re not football enough for the sec and not “smart blue blood moneyed” enough for the B1G. So where does Arizona go?
Winger

Post by Winger »

CalStateTempe wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2024 12:06 pm Winger-domus…where do we land?

We’re not football enough for the sec and not “smart blue blood moneyed” enough for the B1G. So where does Arizona go?
Dunno.

Maybe football gets sectioned off on its own and we go back to regional conferences for everything else and we end up in a Pac 10-12-14.

That is what some of the smart money was saying shortly after we went B12.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Personally, I think the whole superconference idea is going to fall apart much like it did in Europe.

No one for a big name brand team wants to see them go six and six over season when they’re playing other big namebrand teams only
Winger

Post by Winger »

CalStateTempe wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2024 4:15 pm Personally, I think the whole superconference idea is going to fall apart much like it did in Europe.

No one for a big name brand team wants to see them go six and six over season when they’re playing other big namebrand teams only
I hope youre right. Imv so much of what makes college sports special is the regionality.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Contrary to what a couple of delusional posters believe, we are not going to get an invite from either the SEC or the B1G.

The best the UA can hope for is to belong the "Best of the Rest" conference, which at this time is the Big12. We have already landed in the best possible place for our situation. I'm not holding out for the disintegration of the Super Conferences, which I think is highly unlikely to happen. Money doesn't talk...........it Screams. In no world are the members of the B1G/SEC ever going to give that up.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

dmjcat wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2024 7:52 pm

Contrary to what a couple of delusional posters believe, we are not going to get an invite from either the SEC or the B1G.

The best the UA can hope for is to belong the "Best of the Rest" conference, which at this time is the Big12. We have already landed in the best possible place for our situation. I'm not holding out for the disintegration of the Super Conferences, which I think is highly unlikely to happen. Money doesn't talk...........it Screams. In no world are the members of the B1G/SEC ever going to give that up.
This is where I'm at. I think there will be 3 conferences of 20-24 members each and we'll be in #3. Only thing that'll suck is if ASU gets the call up solely due to Phoenix market and let's be honest that's the sole reason they'd ever get a call up.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

ChooChooCat wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2024 6:24 am

This is where I'm at. I think there will be 3 conferences of 20-24 members each and we'll be in #3. Only thing that'll suck is if ASU gets the call up solely due to Phoenix market and let's be honest that's the sole reason they'd ever get a call up.
In that scenario (3 conferences), the reality will be that thiere is a new "top tier" (the BIG and SEC), and the "rest" - if and when that happens, the BIG and SEC will have little furthern use for the NCAA, as far as football goes...

I then believe that the ~50 top football schools drop out of the NCAA, form some kind of second-tier professional football super-league, and that the traditional athletic conference model collapses. The NCAA will then reform around the rest of the sports, and - here's my shocking prediction - athletic conferences built primarily upon geographic/location considerations will be formed...

... back to the future!!
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

pc in NM wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2024 7:21 am
ChooChooCat wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2024 6:24 am

In that scenario (3 conferences), the reality will be that thiere is a new "top tier" (the BIG and SEC), and the "rest" - if and when that happens, the BIG and SEC will have little furthern use for the NCAA, as far as football goes...

I then believe that the ~50 top football schools drop out of the NCAA, form some kind of second-tier professional football super-league, and that the traditional athletic conference model collapses. The NCAA will then reform around the rest of the sports, and - here's my shocking prediction - athletic conferences built primarily upon geographic/location considerations will be formed...

... back to the future!!
I mean that's possible, but it's also way too much work. The top conferences will run everything anyways, so they really won't need to do all that. They'd also need the NCAA for the basketball tournament and keeping the little conferences involved just enough to prevent lawsuits.
LuteIsGod

Post by LuteIsGod »

I think that the in season transfer rule is the final piece needed to destroy the NCAA along with the only 2 sports that produce revenue; basketball and football. Boosters will quickly grow tired of paying players that don’t produce, don’t win the championship game or decide to transfer to a better opportunity during the season.

I don’t know if anyone with the finances has considered the collapse of D1 sports, but I think some have. There’s too much money/gambling involved for a new league not to exist. My concern as a college fan is that the new league(s) will either not include a collegiate presence at all or it will be superfluous and any school involvement will quickly die off.

So, I do believe there are plans post NCAA, but I don’t think any of them care about the student/alumni involvement and are ultimately concerned with how betting can be maximized.
I will see you there, or I will see you on another time
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Goodbye title IX and Olympic sports
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

LuteIsGod wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2024 4:38 pm I think that the in season transfer rule is the final piece needed to destroy the NCAA along with the only 2 sports that produce revenue; basketball and football. Boosters will quickly grow tired of paying players that don’t produce, don’t win the championship game or decide to transfer to a better opportunity during the season.

I don’t know if anyone with the finances has considered the collapse of D1 sports, but I think some have. There’s too much money/gambling involved for a new league not to exist. My concern as a college fan is that the new league(s) will either not include a collegiate presence at all or it will be superfluous and any school involvement will quickly die off.

So, I do believe there are plans post NCAA, but I don’t think any of them care about the student/alumni involvement and are ultimately concerned with how betting can be maximized.
The kicker to this scenario is that the universities have all those amazing stadia and arenas, not to mention athletic support facilities. Most are integrated into large campuses, and would be difficult to separate from university life and operations....
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Haven't seen this mentioned yet, but did anyone else catch that UConn is thinking of joining the B12?

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... membership
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Beachcat97 wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2024 12:00 pm Haven't seen this mentioned yet, but did anyone else catch that UConn is thinking of joining the B12?

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=6731

Last couple of pages.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

azgreg wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2024 12:28 pm
Beachcat97 wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2024 12:00 pm Haven't seen this mentioned yet, but did anyone else catch that UConn is thinking of joining the B12?

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=6731

Last couple of pages.
Thanks!
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

BYU is going to be a team to watch out for. Very deep pockets.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CollegeBasketb ... o_land_aj/

BYU is reportedly the "team to beat" to land AJ Dybantsa, #1 recruit in the 2025 class!

If not BYU, may see him on other B12 teams.

https://n.rivals.com/news/visit-preview ... wy6DbEzGp-

He currently has six official visits scheduled, as he'll make trips to Kansas (Sept. 6), North Carolina (Sept. 20), Alabama (Sept. 27), Baylor (Oct. 4), and BYU (Oct. 11) following his look at K-State this weekend.

BYU is the team to watch here. It will certainly surprise most fans, as BYU has never been a contender for top college basketball talent, but new head coach Kevin Young has revitalized the donor pool. Since Young's hiring, BYU has become a major competitor in the NIL space, and they seem set to make Dybantsa one of the highest-paid players in college basketball since the introduction of NIL.