Thank you (Oregon Coast)

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Spaceman Spiff

Thank you (Oregon Coast)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

On the previous board, I posted a thread asking for advice on what to do for vacation along the Oregon Coast. My wife and I are 5 days in and I just wanted to show appreciation for everyone who recommended stuff. We're staying in Cannon Beach and it's beautiful. Weather's been pretty much a static mid-60's and sunny with a few clouds. All the outdoor recommendations were great. Oswald West park was great, as was Hug Point and Ecola State Park. Arcadia Beach didn't have a tavern, but it was still fun.

I've defaced a number of Oregon landmarks with Wildcat gear, and if I ever figure out how to upload and post pictures, I may share (without getting too far into forcible vacation pics).

Thanks again to everyone who had suggestions. The coast here is so mind bogglingly beautiful, you almost lose track of just how jaw dropping it is because it's around every corner. Back to enjoying life, I'll see y'all in a week, but I do appreciate all the suggestions.
Chicat

Re: Thank you (Oregon Coast)

Post by Chicat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Arcadia Beach didn't have a tavern, but it was still fun.
Probably a lot more fun than McKale Beach.
Spaceman Spiff wrote:I've defaced a number of Oregon landmarks with Wildcat gear, and if I ever figure out how to upload and post pictures, I may share (without getting too far into forcible vacation pics).
www.tinypic.com
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
beames

Post by beames »

Hope you're eating lots of local chowder! I got hitched on the Oregon Coast in Yachats, which is further south, and I actually enjoy that state's stretch of the Pacific more than that of it's neighbors, especially Washington, whose Pacific coastline is downright dismal. Aberdeen might be the biggest shithole in the Pac NW.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

[youtube]5UsAtbPuK4s[/youtube]
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

beames wrote:Hope you're eating lots of local chowder! I got hitched on the Oregon Coast in Yachats, which is further south, and I actually enjoy that state's stretch of the Pacific more than that of it's neighbors, especially Washington, whose Pacific coastline is downright dismal. Aberdeen might be the biggest shithole in the Pac NW.
Furthest south we've been is Cape Meares/Tillamook. Just the Cannon Beach area is mind blowingly pretty. We're just to the left of the big rock in the sea right now:

The food is pretty seafood focused, but we found a good pizza place in Cannon Beach, and have sampled plenty of the local stuff. The only slight letdown was the Mexican place here, which is pretty tame by Tucson standards.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Absolutely love the Oregon coast, spent a week last year. Had a beach house in Lincoln City.

Where are you headed? I'll see if I can make any recommendations. Not sure If I posted in your other thread or not

Some pics from my trip

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

[youtube]j500PjgzYhg[/youtube]
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Here's a few pictures I tried on tinypic. Downtown Cannon Beach where we're staying. This picture came out better than the one before b/c I didn't almost get run over this time.

A few locals were kind of pushy and just rolled up on your car, though.

Five minutes down the beach from our hotel:

A few minutes in the other direction:

Maybe I'll post more when back to Tucson. There's just so much beauty here, it's kind of hard to pick and choose.
Miller time

Post by Miller time »

Headed there for a wedding in September, looking forward to it.
gumby

Post by gumby »

beames wrote:Hope you're eating lots of local chowder! I got hitched on the Oregon Coast in Yachats, which is further south, and I actually enjoy that state's stretch of the Pacific more than that of it's neighbors, especially Washington, whose Pacific coastline is downright dismal. Aberdeen might be the biggest shithole in the Pac NW.
Yep. We spent night in nearby Raymond, after doing the Olympics. Like a time warp. Loss of logging was huge around there.
Right where I want to be.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Furthest south we've been is Cape Meares/Tillamook. Just the Cannon Beach area is mind blowingly pretty. We're just to the left of the big rock in the sea right now:

The food is pretty seafood focused, but we found a good pizza place in Cannon Beach, and have sampled plenty of the local stuff. The only slight letdown was the Mexican place here, which is pretty tame by Tucson standards.
Mexican food in the NW will continually disappoint. We've stayed in Seaside (little kids/arcades/otters) and camped at Beverly Beach, which is like a small city of campers, but a path goes under the highway and leads right to the beach. Can stay in yurts if the wife doesn't do tents.

So gorgeous there.
Right where I want to be.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Miller time wrote:Headed there for a wedding in September, looking forward to it.
My recommendation if you have a free day and are in the Manzanita/Cannon Beach/Seaside area:

There's a 15 mile strip from Oswald West state park to Ecola state park that had most of our favorite things, and it's in a place where you can do it all in a single day. Bottom to top, it has

Manzanita beach overlook
Short sand trail in Oswald
Hug point
Arcadia beach
Haystack Rock/Cannon Beach downtown (you basically walk out of downtown to the beach by the rock)
Ecola point and Indian beach

They're all awesome.
Miller time

Post by Miller time »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Miller time wrote:Headed there for a wedding in September, looking forward to it.
My recommendation if you have a free day and are in the Manzanita/Cannon Beach/Seaside area:

There's a 15 mile strip from Oswald West state park to Ecola state park that had most of our favorite things, and it's in a place where you can do it all in a single day. Bottom to top, it has

Manzanita beach overlook
Hug point
Arcadia beach
Haystack Rock/Cannon Beach downtown (you basically walk out of downtown to the beach by the rock)

They're all awesome.

Good for kids (older then 5) or just couples?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Miller time wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Manzanita beach overlook
Hug point
Arcadia beach

They're all awesome.

We don't have kids, but max walk is an easy 1/2 mile through a pretty rainforest on the Sandy shore trail. Everywhere else you drive up. There are caves, waterfalls, etc that would probably be cool for kids. If you hit good weather, you can surf. Downtown Cannon Beach has some decent family shopping options.

The main draw is stunning natural beauty, but there are fun options too. If you want more catered to kids/tourists, you could hit Seaside too. It has a boardwalk area that caters to that. The area I recommended caters more to outdoorsy stuff.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Man I really wish I could swing a long weekend trip up to Tillamook/Cannon Beach this fall but I'm pretty much out of PTO at work. Might have to wait till the spring.
Miller time

Post by Miller time »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Miller time wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Manzanita beach overlook
Hug point
Arcadia beach

They're all awesome.

We don't have kids, but max walk is an easy 1/2 mile through a pretty rainforest on the Sandy shore trail. Everywhere else you drive up. There are caves, waterfalls, etc that would probably be cool for kids. If you hit good weather, you can surf. Downtown Cannon Beach has some decent family shopping options.

The main draw is stunning natural beauty, but there are fun options too. If you want more catered to kids/tourists, you could hit Seaside too. It has a boardwalk area that caters to that. The area I recommended caters more to outdoorsy stuff.

Good info. Thanks,
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

It's good for making what you want out of it. We were looking for outdoors beauty without having to hoof it too much, and you just run into that everywhere here. The kid friendliness is probably dependent on what your kids like. If they like outdoors exploring and cool natural stuff, you're golden. If they are more athletic, you can easily dial up some surfing. CB's downtown has some candy stores, etc that catered to kids too.

We did a fair amount of walking, but you really get to control that, and you don't have to hike to get to awesome places. The Manzanita overlook is right off highway 101, and on a clear day, you can see forever (it's the last of the photos I posted in the bunch of 4). The Ecola point overlook, you have to go into the park, but again, you pretty much drive up and have a 50 yard walk to a breathtaking view.