Sean Miller Discussion

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

RockyRaccoon

Re: Sean Miller's ceiling

Post by RockyRaccoon »

azcat34 wrote:[quote}12th best offense out of 351 isn't elite to you?

Please explain how the offense isn't elite, I would love to hear your wisdom. You've really just said nothing to this point.
No it really isn't.

If we use your definition of elite that would imply Northern Iowa is an elite team because they are #11 in the AP Top 25 out of 351 teams.

Is Northern Iowa a very good team this year? No doubt. Are they elite. Nope.[/quote]

I could give a shit about the AP poll, most of those guys are lazy morons.

Anyone in the KenPom Top 12 could get hot and win the title in March, for the love of god explain why Arizona's offense isn't good this year. Debating with you is likely debating with my wife, constant subject changing.[/quote]

When did I say they weren't good? You are the one who said they were elite. There is a huge difference between being good and being elite.[/quote]

So when you said this, you were saying Miller's offense was good?

If you really believe Miller coaches a quality offense I literally feel sorry for you as an observer of the game of basketball and really as a human being all together.

Please try harder to understand and appreciate what you are watching. Just because they put up 90 points against UW and WSU doesn't make them a good offensive team.
[/quote]

His team is good on offense but that doesn't mean he is a quality offensive coach. Like I said before when you have multiple five stars/NBA draft picks, and a talented senior point guard playing in the Pac-12 it is tough not to be "good" on offense.
I...drink...your...MILKSHAKE!

"I'm better at life than you." -RockyRaccoon/Richard Sherman

"Those that don't understand the importance of great coaching, don't understand the game." -RR

"WATCH THE GAMES" -RR
azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

RockyRaccoon wrote:

Please explain how the offense isn't elite, I would love to hear your wisdom. You've really just said nothing to this point.
No it really isn't.

If we use your definition of elite that would imply Northern Iowa is an elite team because they are #11 in the AP Top 25 out of 351 teams.

Is Northern Iowa a very good team this year? No doubt. Are they elite. Nope.

Anyone in the KenPom Top 12 could get hot and win the title in March, for the love of god explain why Arizona's offense isn't good this year. Debating with you is likely debating with my wife, constant subject changing.[/quote]

When did I say they weren't good? You are the one who said they were elite. There is a huge difference between being good and being elite.[/quote]

If you really believe Miller coaches a quality offense I literally feel sorry for you as an observer of the game of basketball and really as a human being all together.

Please try harder to understand and appreciate what you are watching. Just because they put up 90 points against UW and WSU doesn't make them a good offensive team.
[/quote]

His team is good on offense but that doesn't mean he is a quality offensive coach. Like I said before when you have multiple five stars/NBA draft picks, and a talented senior point guard playing in the Pac-12 it is tough not to be "good" on offense.[/quote]

So what does Miller have to do to satisfy your delicate sensibilities as a supposed fan of Arizona since evidently the 12th best offense in the country isn't good enough.
RockyRaccoon

Post by RockyRaccoon »

azcat34 wrote:I really like the strong majority of people on this site and formely GOAZCATS, but you infinetly stupid.
Poor grammar and multiple misspelled words.
Last edited by RockyRaccoon on Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Those that don't understand the importance of great coaching, don't understand the game." -RR

"WATCH THE GAMES" -RR
RockyRaccoon

Post by RockyRaccoon »

azcat34 wrote:
RockyRaccoon wrote:

No it really isn't.

Is Northern Iowa a very good team this year? No doubt. Are they elite. Nope.

Anyone in the KenPom Top 12 could get hot and win the title in March, for the love of god explain why Arizona's offense isn't good this year. Debating with you is likely debating with my wife, constant subject changing.

[/quote]

His team is good on offense but that doesn't mean he is a quality offensive coach. Like I said before when you have multiple five stars/NBA draft picks, and a talented senior point guard playing in the Pac-12 it is tough not to be "good" on offense.[/quote]

So what does Miller have to do to satisfy your delicate sensibilities as a supposed fan of Arizona since evidently the 12th best offense in the country isn't good enough.[/quote]

I would say the vast majority of my complaints with Miller in terms of offense is his inability to better develop talent.

"WATCH THE GAMES" -RR
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

RockyRaccoon wrote:
azcat34 wrote:I really like the strong majority of people on this site and formely GOAZCATS, but you infinetly stupid.
Poor grammar and multiple miss spelled words.
Can I compete for Miss Spelled Words? I've never entered a spelling bee, but I have a killer one-piece swimsuit and I like people, places, and thiiiiiiiiiings!!!
azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

[/quote]

So what does Miller have to do to satisfy your delicate sensibilities as a supposed fan of Arizona since evidently the 12th best offense in the country isn't good enough.[/quote]

I would say the vast majority of my complaints with Miller in terms of offense is his inability to better develop talent.[/quote]

Oh yea? Is that why the Magic drafted AG 4th overall? Or why the Pacers drafted Solo in the 1st round when no one predicated that? Or when the Rockets drafted NJ when people thought he would go undrafted?

Please tell us how Miller with his 12th best offense and multiple NBA players that went higher than expected has led to him not being able to develop talent.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

When you go spelling Nazi and misspell misspelled, I think the thread is over.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
RockyRaccoon

Post by RockyRaccoon »

Longhorned wrote:
RockyRaccoon wrote:
Poor grammar and multiple miss spelled words.
Can I compete for Miss Spelled Words? I've never entered a spelling bee, but I have a killer one-piece swimsuit and I like people, places, and thiiiiiiiiiings!!!
fixed

"WATCH THE GAMES" -RR
RockyRaccoon

Post by RockyRaccoon »

azcat34 wrote:
Oh yea? Is that why the Magic drafted AG 4th overall? Or why the Pacers drafted Solo in the 1st round when no one predicated that? Or when the Rockets drafted NJ when people thought he would go undrafted?

Please tell us how Miller with his 12th best offense and multiple NBA players that went higher than expected has led to him not being able to develop talent.
AG was predicted as a top five pick back in high school. Nick Johnson was a five star. I will give him credit on Solomon, he did a great job with him. Derrick Williams has been pretty horrible in the NBA.

Zeus, BA, Hollis-Jefferson, Josiah Turner (disaster), Jordin Mayes, Parrom, and Kyryl have been or were pretty damn stagnant in their offensive progression under Miller.
Last edited by RockyRaccoon on Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"WATCH THE GAMES" -RR
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

UAEebs86 wrote:When you go spelling Nazi and misspell misspelled, I think the thread is over.
I just can't believe that we actually manipulated a troll to do the dirty work and destroy an awful thread that we couldn't take out on our own.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

azcat34 wrote:
RockyRaccoon wrote:
azcat34 wrote:
RockyRaccoon wrote:Bennet is a better coach than Miller. The guy took what was one of the worst programs in the country in Washington State and led them to two NCAA Tournaments and a Sweet Sixteen when the Pac-10 actually had talent. These past two years he has dominated one of the toughest conferences in the country. Miller's career record is (270-98) a 74% win percentage and Bennett's is (198-94) a 68%. That being said Miller of course coached five season's in the A-10 and nearly six in a down Pac-12. I'm not knocking Miller who like I continually say is a "very good coach" but Bennett is a great coach.

Marshall is similar to Miller in my opinion in that he is an excellent defensive mind but unlike Miller can actually draw up an offense. Wichita State was a basket away from the National Championship in 2013 before the eventual champ Louisville made some plays late in that game. Don't forget, Wichita beat Ohio State in the Elite Eight, of course that was the same Ohio State team that knocked Arizona out in the Sweet Sixteen.

You're right about calculating age when determining a coach's "ceiling". I guess who I was listing were just coaches I feel are better than Miller in measuring a single season.

That being said, Bennett, Smart, Ollie, Cal, Donovan, and Marshall have higher "ceilings".

Self sucks. Williams sucks.
Arizona's AdjO is 12th right now, but keep being ignorant.

Miller has gone to the second weekend of the tournament more times the past two seasons than Marshall has in his whole 16 year career.

I have brought you statistical data that Miller's offense this year is not only good, but elite.

What is your intelligent argument against? You literally provide no detail, Ken Pomeroy has more basketball knowledge in his morning dumps than you do overall. I will trust his analysis over yours.
He does not have intelligent arguments. Intellectual arrogance is universally annoying; when it comes from someone whose inflated self-esteem far exceeds their capacity (which is usually the result of modern Mommy talk) it is insufferable.

The ignore feature... #GettingUsed
RockyRaccoon

Post by RockyRaccoon »

Damn, I guess I did say the team "isn't good" on offense at some point. I can assure you that was hyperbole but to call them elite offensively is almost as preposterous.

"WATCH THE GAMES" -RR
azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

RockyRaccoon wrote:Damn, I guess I did say the team "isn't good" on offense at some point. I can assure you that was hyperbole but to call them elite offensively is almost as preposterous.
At this point I have no clue what you are arguing at this point and anyone that uses Derrick Williams as a case against Miller's player development skills is clearly trolling.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

Harvey Specter wrote: The ignore feature... #GettingUsed
I've looked everywhere! SOMEBODY TELL ME HOW TO IGNORE THIS IDIOT BECAUSE I CAN'T FIND THE BUTTON AND I HATE HIS POSTS EVEN MORE THAN HIS AVATAR OF KANYE
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

dcZONAfan wrote:
I've looked everywhere! SOMEBODY TELL ME HOW TO IGNORE THIS IDIOT BECAUSE I CAN'T FIND THE BUTTON AND I HATE HIS POSTS EVEN MORE THAN HIS AVATAR OF KANYE
Put him on your "Foe" list.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
gumby

Post by gumby »

RockyRaccoon wrote:
Reydituto wrote:What's up fellas? What's going on here? Have I missed anything?
This post was made by RockyRaccoon who is currently on your ignore list. Display this post.
I think Sean Miller's ceiling is very high. I can't imagine anyone else who understands college basketball would disagree with that sentiment.
This post was made by RockyRaccoon who is currently on your ignore list. Display this post.
Hmmm, I guess not much is going on in this thread, so back to Cervantes ...
It is high but very high?

I definitely think his ceiling is getting to a few final fours. That's pretty good.

Like I have said before, there is a HUUUUUUUGE difference between winning a national championship and getting to the final four.
So, basically, Lute's ceiling in 1996, a dozen years into his Arizona tenure.
Right where I want to be.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

gumby wrote:
RockyRaccoon wrote:It is high but very high?

I definitely think his ceiling is getting to a few final fours. That's pretty good.

Like I have said before, there is a HUUUUUUUGE difference between winning a national championship and getting to the final four.
Rocky is already on record calling Lute one of the most overrated coaches in history, so your comparison likely won't get the response you're looking for.

He's so trollrific...
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

I'm resolved--I really do want RockyRaccoon to shampoo my crotch.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Who was RR on TOS?
gumby

Post by gumby »

Chicat wrote:
gumby wrote:
RockyRaccoon wrote:It is high but very high?

Rocky is already on record calling Lute one of the most overrated coaches in history, so your comparison likely won't get the response you're looking for.

He's so trollrific...
I knew I should've watched those games more closely.

P.S. That "foe" feature is literally the bomb.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

dcZONAfan wrote:
go to user control panel from the main menu on top of the page

go to the "friends and foes" tab on the page that comes up.

go to "manage foes" on the left

in the box on the right, enter the name, click submit.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

CalStateTempe wrote:Who was RR on TOS?
Same handle. Ragged on Zeus almost as much as enfuego.
-JB
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

dcZONAfan wrote:
This^
He's gotten to the point where he is kind of ruining this board. Sick of scrolling thru his one page manifesto's
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Make him a "foe".
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

Done. RR now on my ignore.
Please try not to quote this guy.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
dcZONAfan wrote:

Did you ever know that you're my heeeeeeeeeeerooooooo?
gumby

Post by gumby »

Foe! Foe! Foe!

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:This is a bad loss. Worse than the other two this season, imo.

Time and time again, Sean Miller's teams lose when they should be winning comfortably.

There are going to be all kinds of patient, quixotic responses to this post and this game, and that's fine. I suppose it's part of being a fan. But let's face it: this is the second straight season with a legit top 5 team and they're fading down the stretch. Again.

The conversation has changed from, how many more games will we lose before the tourney, to will we even win the Pac 12?

The longer Miller's at AZ, the more I appreciate Lute Olson.

Miller's ceiling is the Elite Eight and an occasional Pac title, which aren't insignificant achievements, but I think our expectations are higher, aren't they?
Ceiling: Mike Kryzyzewski.

Floor: Jim Boeheim.

Cellar: Dale Brown.

If Miller stays for a while and keeps the fire, he can leave as the best coach in Arizona's history. I am aware that's borderline heresy.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

51-1
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

dcZONAfan wrote:
PieceOfMeat wrote:
dcZONAfan wrote:

Did you ever know that you're my heeeeeeeeeeerooooooo?
:lol: glad to help ;)
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

97, you gotta start letting us know (do we have spoiler tags here?) what these 100-0 and 51-1 numbers mean.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:97, you gotta start letting us know (do we have spoiler tags here?) what these 100-0 and 51-1 numbers mean.
I'm not sure if 51 is the right #, but 1 would be the number of home losses in the last 3 years.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

IIRC, 51-1 is Miller's record when we score 80 or more points.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

AZCatGirl wrote:IIRC, 51-1 is Miller's record when we score 80 or more points.
It's a measure of Miller that he has multiple stats that involve only a single loss over multiple years.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

correct
97cats

Post by 97cats »

rgdeuce wrote:97, you gotta start letting us know (do we have spoiler tags here?) what these 100-0 and 51-1 numbers mean.
100-0 is me being an A-hole in the prediction thread(s) -- just ignore that
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

97cats wrote:
1 of these days, that prediction will come true.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

as John Oliver would say in regards to this thread....How is this still a thing?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

97cats wrote:
correct
I counted, and I think I missed a loss, so we are only 50-2 at home in the last three years. As with all stats, the caveat is I suck at math. If I'm right, ONLY 50-2 at home, geez, I don't know about this Miller guy...
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

as far as I can tell we've only lost 5 games in the last 5 seasons at McKale.

SDSU in 2011 by 4
Oregon in 2012 by 2
UW in 2012 by 2
UCLA in 2013 by 11
Cal in 2013 by 8
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

scumdevils86 wrote:as far as I can tell we've only lost 5 games in the last 5 seasons at McKale.

SDSU in 2011 by 4
Oregon in 2012 by 2
UW in 2012 by 2
UCLA in 2013 by 11
Cal in 2013 by 8
Lute will always be special and different because he built this program into a national power. Sean Miller will likely retire with a better resume if he stays long enough (and fulfills his potential). That's extraordinary.
gumby

Post by gumby »

97cats wrote:
Now you tell me. Lost thousands betting on this prediction.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

97cats wrote:
It's also the score on the scoreboard during the BrakeMax commercials. Wildcats 100 Visitors 0
They must be big 97cats fans! :D
-JB
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
97cats wrote:
correct
I counted, and I think I missed a loss, so we are only 50-2 at home in the last three years. As with all stats, the caveat is I suck at math. If I'm right, ONLY 50-2 at home, geez, I don't know about this Miller guy...
Meh, Matt Muehlebach never lost at home.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:as far as I can tell we've only lost 5 games in the last 5 seasons at McKale.

SDSU in 2011 by 4
Oregon in 2012 by 2
UW in 2012 by 2
UCLA in 2013 by 11
Cal in 2013 by 8
Lute will always be special and different because he built this program into a national power. Sean Miller will likely retire with a better resume if he stays long enough (and fulfills his potential). That's extraordinary.
don't forget the bucknell NIT loss 3 years ago.

but if we beat ucla cal and stanford then we'll have been 80-6 at home the last 5 years with the 6 losses by an average of 6.3 points.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ASUHATER! wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

SDSU in 2011 by 4
Oregon in 2012 by 2
UW in 2012 by 2
UCLA in 2013 by 11
Cal in 2013 by 8
don't forget the bucknell NIT loss 3 years ago.

but if we beat ucla cal and stanford then we'll have been 80-6 at home the last 5 years with the 6 losses by an average of 6.3 points.
I was counting this year as year 3, so I was looking only at the sweet 16, elite 8 and this year. I think he is 50-2 in those years. I prefer not to remember the Bucknell year.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

87-11 in 6 seasons. FIRE MILLER!!!!

Lute had a .758 winning percentage at Arizona.

Miller only is at .749.

FIRE MILLER!!
azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

I'm sure Rocky will be here after the Utah if we lose talking about how shitty Miller is.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I've heard that Miller has one of those popcorn ceilings. It's shameful...
RockyRaccoon

Post by RockyRaccoon »

azcat34 wrote:I'm sure Rocky will be here after the Utah if we lose talking about how shitty Miller is.
lol

Miller isn't shitty though.

"WATCH THE GAMES" -RR