Tonight . . .

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Frybry02

Tonight . . .

Post by Frybry02 »

Was the first time I had flashbacks of last years team offensively post-Ashley. I'm glad this was the first and I hope it is the last
UAGreg

Re: Tonight . . .

Post by UAGreg »

Burn the jerseys, burn the film

Total anomaly (I hope)
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Bench the highest scoring player the second half!
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

The whole team minus york and ristic and TJ in the closing minutes sucked absolute balls. Pitts played a solid game even if it wasnt nice on paper.

Take the win and move on.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

Oh and I'm glad we got this out of the way today and not next saturday
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Just chalk it up as a stinker and move on. Wouldn't worry too much about it
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Play like that against Utah and they beat us by 25
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

We wont play like that against utah
NETSFAN4HASSAN

Post by NETSFAN4HASSAN »

Main Event wrote:Just chalk it up as a stinker and move on. Wouldn't worry too much about it
Exactly. Frankly, I'm not even surprised the way that fucking game went. It's the usual against those bums.

Utah better be ready.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Defense was fine. Rebounding was outstanding.

Starters' offense sucked, but that's how you win a game like that.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Weird game. We get outscored 22-0 over the first 6 minutes of both halves and win by 10. That means over that 28 minute period we outscored them by 32
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Makes sense. Shoulda been a 30 point win
Katzenfreund

Post by Katzenfreund »

Last edited by Katzenfreund on Thu May 07, 2015 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
RockyRaccoon

Post by RockyRaccoon »

UAEebs86 wrote:Defense was fine. Rebounding was outstanding.

Starters' offense sucked, but that's how you win a game like that.
That is Sean Miller in a nutshell. Expect defense is usually excellent.
I...drink...your...MILKSHAKE!

"I'm better at life than you." -RockyRaccoon/Richard Sherman

"Those that don't understand the importance of great coaching, don't understand the game." -RR

"WATCH THE GAMES" -RR
NETSFAN4HASSAN

Post by NETSFAN4HASSAN »

Katzenfreund wrote:This performance reminded me of last year's game at Pauley and Miller's dumb decision to abandon the strategy that had gotten us a 13-point lead with 5:15 minutes to go. Suddenly we stopped our offense and turned the ball over in our attempts to run out the shot clock. UCLA outscored us 16-2 in the following 3:31 minutes and took the lead with 1:44 remaining.

Tonight, Miller pulled the dominant player, that gave us a comfortable lead, and sat him down for almost the entire second half in favor of Stone Hands. Unreal and stupid beyond belief. Tarczewski must have pictures on him.

Chuckled at the capitalization of that.

Miller is one loyal, defense loving guy.
RockyRaccoon

Post by RockyRaccoon »

NETSFAN4HASSAN wrote:
Katzenfreund wrote:This performance reminded me of last year's game at Pauley and Miller's dumb decision to abandon the strategy that had gotten us a 13-point lead with 5:15 minutes to go. Suddenly we stopped our offense and turned the ball over in our attempts to run out the shot clock. UCLA outscored us 16-2 in the following 3:31 minutes and took the lead with 1:44 remaining.

Tonight, Miller pulled the dominant player, that gave us a comfortable lead, and sat him down for almost the entire second half in favor of Stone Hands. Unreal and stupid beyond belief. Tarczewski must have pictures on him.

Yep.

And that is totally fine but as I have said before, it truly hampers any chance to win a national championship let alone make the Final Four. Coaching a dominant defense and a good to average offense will year and in and year out dominate a sub-par Pac-12 and almost always get a team to at least the Sweet Sixteen. Will it get you much further when you really have to play the best teams in the country? Probably not.

"Those that don't understand the importance of great coaching, don't understand the game." -RR

"WATCH THE GAMES" -RR
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Ashley and RHJ...wtf? Did either of these guys look like future pros tonight? Not saying they can't bounce back and return to form, but under the powerful gaze and glow of a national audience, these two were terrible.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Beachcat97 wrote:Ashley and RHJ...wtf? Did either of these guys look like future pros tonight? Not saying they can't bounce back and return to form, but under the powerful gaze and glow of a national audience, these two were terrible.

Don't forget Stanley Johnson. Missed his first 7(?) shots, pulled for poor defense, and had untimely turnovers.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Merkin wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:Ashley and RHJ...wtf? Did either of these guys look like future pros tonight? Not saying they can't bounce back and return to form, but under the powerful gaze and glow of a national audience, these two were terrible.

Don't forget Stanley Johnson. Missed his first 7(?) shots, pulled for poor defense, and had untimely turnovers.
SJ was awful. That's why Miller benched him multiple times. That was the worst this team has looked on offense this year. It's actually very fortunate that we survived such a godawful game from three of our key players (SJ, BA, RHJ), and I'd include TJ too but he hit a huge shot in the waning moments and also hit his FTs. I'm not sure we can survive a game like that in March.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Merkin wrote:

SJ was awful. That's why Miller benched him multiple times. That was the worst this team has looked on offense this year. It's actually very fortunate that we survived such a godawful game from three of our key players (SJ, BA, RHJ), and I'd include TJ too but he hit a huge shot in the waning moments and also hit his FTs. I'm not sure we can survive a game like that in March.
You keep outdoing yourself.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

NETSFAN4HASSAN wrote:

For reals. My questions is. Who/what player carries us ultimately to that Final Four?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

CBCat wrote:
NETSFAN4HASSAN wrote:

For reals. My questions is. Who/what player carries us ultimately to that Final Four?
TJ
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

CBCat wrote:
NETSFAN4HASSAN wrote:

I know it isn't Dusan Ristic
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

Olsondogg wrote:
CBCat wrote:
NETSFAN4HASSAN wrote:

Obviously, he's on the bench. Duh.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

CBCat wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:
CBCat wrote:
NETSFAN4HASSAN wrote:

Obviously, he's on the bench. Duh.
Yes, benches are one of the most overrated aspects of the college game. There aren't many nights like tonight...both for Dusan and the starters.

To answer your question, it will most likely be a combination of several starters that do it. Even "Stone Hands".
RockyRaccoon

Post by RockyRaccoon »

Olsondogg wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
Merkin wrote:

lol

You can't be serious?

What did he just say that was in anyway incorrect?

"WATCH THE GAMES" -RR
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

RockyRaccoon wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
Merkin wrote:

lol

You can't be serious?

What did he just say that was in anyway incorrect?
Is there a way to auto-response a poster? Like every time there's a post, this kicks out:

From a rival's board, couldn't say it better: "You guys are killing Miller, but he's been in the top 10 40 straight weeks, 36 straight home wins, he kicks UCLA's ass in recruiting, has been to the sweet 16 and elite 8 twice (knocking on the door), is winning the PAC 12 every year now."
RockyRaccoon

Post by RockyRaccoon »

Is there a way to auto-response a poster? Like every time there's a post, this kicks out:

From a rival's board, couldn't say it better: "You guys are killing Miller, but he's been in the top 10 40 straight weeks, 36 straight home wins, he kicks UCLA's ass in recruiting, has been to the sweet 16 and elite 8 twice (knocking on the door), is winning the PAC 12 every year now."
I guess I would auto-respond with my OWN thoughts,

"And that is totally fine but as I have said before, it truly hampers any chance to win a national championship let alone make the Final Four. Coaching a dominant defense and a good to average offense will year and in and year out dominate a sub-par Pac-12 and almost always get a team to at least the Sweet Sixteen. Will it get you much further when you really have to play the best teams in the country? Probably not."

Anyway that doesn't explain Olsondogg's odd response to Beachcat's correct analysis of tonight's game.

"WATCH THE GAMES" -RR
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Just need WildcatPaulG to join in and we have the Three Musketeers!
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I'm curious, when was the last time Arizona lost a game to an opponent that scored 47 points? I'm not sure we survive another game against a team that can score at that caliber.
RockyRaccoon

Post by RockyRaccoon »

Olsondogg wrote:I'm curious, when was the last time Arizona lost a game to an opponent that scored 47 points? I'm not sure we survive another game against a team that can score at that caliber.
Are you praising the Wildcats' defense?

Anyway, what was incorrect about Beachcat's post?

"WATCH THE GAMES" -RR
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

RockyRaccoon wrote:

"And that is totally fine but as I have said before, it truly hampers any chance to win a national championship let alone make the Final Four. Coaching a dominant defense and a good to average offense will year and in and year out dominate a sub-par Pac-12 and almost always get a team to at least the Sweet Sixteen. Will it get you much further when you really have to play the best teams in the country? Probably not."

Anyway that doesn't explain Olsondogg's odd response to Beachcat's correct analysis of tonight's game.
If Horne's shot was just a little bit in the other direction, Final Four, your post doesn't happen. If Nick Johnson's shot falls last year, Final Four, your post doesn't happen. I'm pretty sure those were great chances at a Final Four.
RockyRaccoon

Post by RockyRaccoon »

Bosy Billups wrote:
RockyRaccoon wrote:

If Horne's shot was just a little bit in the other direction, Final Four, your post doesn't happen. If Nick Johnson's shot falls last year, Final Four, your post doesn't happen. I'm pretty sure those were great chances at a Final Four.
That's true that they were inches away.

I don't in anyway believe Miller will be shutout of a Final Four. He will likely make several in his career but still the gap between a National Championship and a Final Four berth is enormous. Unless something changes with the way he approaches offense, I don't imagine that happening.

"WATCH THE GAMES" -RR
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Offense is always the eye catcher for fans. But Zeus played a very good 2nd half, and Ristic is a dumpster fire on defense. Yeah, he had a great scoring first half, including the shot he tossed up without glass that fell through even though his control on the shot was about zero. But Zeus held the defensive line, rebounded, held ground to allow others to rebound (rebounding won us this game...UCLA is pretty fucking good on the offensive glass and got jack crap against us), and, quite frankly, made sure Ristic didn't have a place to play in the 2nd half. Zeus also had a rather athletic tip in at a crucial point in the 2nd half.

So the coach went with the sure thing over the offensive option with the horrible defense. And I am really glad he did. UCLA, after the opening run, simply couldn't sustain. Because they couldn't score. Because they couldn't get an open look, find anyone (single digit assists), OR, most importantly, get the 2nd chance points on the offensive glass that they generally count on. And many of those dominant factors that decided this game are simply more in favor of Zeus playing than a freshman, albeit a fresh with excellent footwork, who is a work in progress (to be nice) on the defensive/d rebounding side of the court.

We didn't only score 57 because Dusan Ristic didn't play in the 2nd half, for chrissake. Our usual producers caused that deficiency, and I highly doubt Dusan Ristic would have continued to score on every shot in the 2nd half. I am pretty sure he would have given up more points and rebounds than Zeus, and I can only base that on having seen games, not practices. So I am going to defer to the coach on this one, the guy with two elite 8s and a sweet 16 in his first 5 years while piloting the dominant program in the west, while wholeheartedly agreeing with his decision based on what has been available to observe, both in this game and all season.
RockyRaccoon

Post by RockyRaccoon »

EVCat wrote:Offense is always the eye catcher for fans. But Zeus played a very good 2nd half, and Ristic is a dumpster fire on defense. Yeah, he had a great scoring first half, including the shot he tossed up without glass that fell through even though his control on the shot was about zero. But Zeus held the defensive line, rebounded, held ground to allow others to rebound (rebounding won us this game...UCLA is pretty fucking good on the offensive glass and got jack crap against us), and, quite frankly, made sure Ristic didn't have a place to play in the 2nd half. Zeus also had a rather athletic tip in at a crucial point in the 2nd half.

So the coach went with the sure thing over the offensive option with the horrible defense. And I am really glad he did. UCLA, after the opening run, simply couldn't sustain. Because they couldn't score. Because they couldn't get an open look, find anyone (single digit assists), OR, most importantly, get the 2nd chance points on the offensive glass that they generally count on. And many of those dominant factors that decided this game are simply more in favor of Zeus playing than a freshman, albeit a fresh with excellent footwork, who is a work in progress (to be nice) on the defensive/d rebounding side of the court.

We didn't only score 57 because Dusan Ristic didn't play in the 2nd half, for chrissake. Our usual producers caused that deficiency, and I highly doubt Dusan Ristic would have continued to score on every shot in the 2nd half. I am pretty sure he would have given up more points and rebounds than Zeus, and I can only base that on having seen games, not practices. So I am going to defer to the coach on this one, the guy with two elite 8s and a sweet 16 in his first 5 years while piloting the dominant program in the west, while wholeheartedly agreeing with his decision based on what has been available to observe, both in this game and all season.
If I'm not mistaken, Ristic played almost the entire last 10 minutes of the first half. UCLA scored 8 points in that span and had no offensive rebounds.

When UCLA was going on their various runs tonight, it was because the Wildcats were doing nothing on offense. It is not like these were 15-5 runs or 10-5 runs, these were 10-0, 12-0 runs. The Wildcats, like most teams in basketball, are at their best defensively when they score and can set better. Ristic provided that at the end of the first half and was subsequently sent to the bench for his efforts.

"WATCH THE GAMES" -RR
Daryl Zero

Post by Daryl Zero »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Merkin wrote:

SJ had a lot of big rebounds. He also hit a very important layup as he drove through the entire defense in the second half which was the start of the final spurt which ended the game. Arizona basically outscored UCLA 20 to 4 or so at the end of the game. Ashley, H-J and SJ couldn't hit anything including little layups. This was just a bad night for them. I don't think it has anything to do with Miller. It was just a weird night. Thank goodness it happened at home and came on a night where the guys hung in there and played defense and won by 10 which is amazing given how bad they shot.
Erlich Bachmann: Richard wrote the code, yes, but the inspiration was clear. Let me ask you something. How fast do you think you could jack off every guy in this room? Cause I know how long it would take me. And I could prove it.
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

RockyRaccoon wrote:
Bosy Billups wrote:
RockyRaccoon wrote:

I don't in anyway believe Miller will be shutout of a Final Four. He will likely make several in his career but still the gap between a National Championship and a Final Four berth is enormous. Unless something changes with the way he approaches offense, I don't imagine that happening.
So Kevin Ollie is a better coach than Miller? Come on bro, you know in the tourney, when you get to the Sweet 16 and beyond, it's pretty much a matchup game, and getting hot at the right time. Shit, Kentucky dropped out of the top 25 last year for a period of time...they sucked for a stretch! Like, were terrible, turible, turdible, but then at tourney time, they got hot.

As all the great coaches who actually do this for a living say, winning a NC or even getting to a Final Four does not define if a coach is great or not, because of the aforementioned reasons.

HOWEVER, like Miller says, if you're competing year in and year out, like Lute did, the chances and odds are that you will breakthrough. That consistency in a program, winning conference championships, recruiting at a high clip, getting into the NCAA tournament year in and year out, competing in it and making it past the first weekend multiple years, that's what defines a great coach.

If Miller gets to "Several Final Fours" in his career, that is E L I T E.

And in those "Several Final Fours", the odds are he would win at least one of those games.

/Thread
RockyRaccoon

Post by RockyRaccoon »

Bosy Billups wrote:
RockyRaccoon wrote:
Bosy Billups wrote:
RockyRaccoon wrote:

So Kevin Ollie is a better coach than Miller? Come on bro, you know in the tourney, when you get to the Sweet 16 and beyond, it's pretty much a matchup game, and getting hot at the right time. Shit, Kentucky dropped out of the top 25 last year for a period of time...they sucked for a stretch! Like, were terrible, turible, turdible, but then at tourney time, they got hot.

As all the great coaches who actually do this for a living say, winning a NC or even getting to a Final Four does not define if a coach is great or not, because of the aforementioned reasons.

HOWEVER, like Miller says, if you're competing year in and year out, like Lute did, the chances and odds are that you will breakthrough. That consistency in a program, winning conference championships, recruiting at a high clip, getting into the NCAA tournament year in and year out, competing in it and making it past the first weekend multiple years, that's what defines a great coach.

If Miller gets to "Several Final Fours" in his career, that is E L I T E.

And in those "Several Final Fours", the odds are he would win at least one of those games.

/Thread
Hypothetically speaking, if Miller never wins a national championship but goes to 2-3 Final Fours and is consistently making it to at least the Sweet Sixteen and winning the Pac-12, would you still consider him a great coach?

I suppose I am in the minority when I say no because what is so important about getting a top recruiting class if you aren't winning a championship? How big of a deal is winning the Pac-12 when it is such a sub-par conference the last few years?

Also when you mention teams like last year's UCONN or Kentucky, that does happen but that is still the exception rather than the rule. The vast majority of champions and teams that have made the final four are still the top few seeds.

"WATCH THE GAMES" -RR
gumby

Post by gumby »

ASUHATER! wrote:Play like that against Utah and they beat us by 25
I predicted this post. Why is it that worry warts think their team is the only one with inconsistent performances? Posts like these imply that Utah's performance is set in stone. Which is weird when they sucked the first time we played them.
Last edited by gumby on Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Right where I want to be.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

RockyRaccoon wrote:Hypothetically speaking, if Miller never wins a national championship but goes to 2-3 Final Fours and is consistently making it to at least the Sweet Sixteen and winning the Pac-12, would you still consider him a great coach?

I suppose I am in the minority when I say no because what is so important about getting a top recruiting class if you aren't winning a championship? How big of a deal is winning the Pac-12 when it is such a sub-par conference the last few years?
roy williams during his kansas years is your exemplar
gumby

Post by gumby »

Defense was very good. UCLA scored 47. Outside the two horrendous starts, they scored 23 points.
Daryl Zero

Post by Daryl Zero »

gumby wrote:Defense was very good. UCLA scored 47. Outside the two horrendous starts, they scored 23 points.
Cats held the best offensive rebounding team to a single offensive rebound. Outrebounded UCLA by 20. A lot of guys quit playing when their offense isn't working. The Cats didn't Although it seemed worse, the Cats didn't turn over the ball much. If you think about it, Arizona won because they had a boatload more possessions than UCLA did.
Erlich Bachmann: Richard wrote the code, yes, but the inspiration was clear. Let me ask you something. How fast do you think you could jack off every guy in this room? Cause I know how long it would take me. And I could prove it.
gumby

Post by gumby »

if Utah plays like that again ... Cats by 25!
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Louisville's superior offensive system scored 55 against Miami at home last night.
-JB
gumby

Post by gumby »

Pitino doesn't get good players, and needs an OC.
RockyRaccoon

Post by RockyRaccoon »

UAEebs86 wrote:Louisville's superior offensive system scored 55 against Miami at home last night.
His resume though.

"WATCH THE GAMES" -RR
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

gumby wrote:if Utah plays like that again ... Cats by 25!
You are missing the point.... Haven't you been reading the boards? We will play like we did last night on the road at Utah, so we won't even SCORE 25 points.

If it is any consolation, post game call in show makes these boards look rational.

One thing I learned last night? After Dusan speaks with his family post-UCLA game, he will probably be wanting to transfer due to his lack of PT in the 2nd half; he reinforced his point by stating Dusan "played his ass off" a dozen times during the call. Caller suggested Kaleb's problem is " between the ears".

A few callers later, a lady calls in to "dispute" the guy above.'s 'between the ears' comment. Confirms that Kaleb has "NO problem between the ears".. Because he was accepted at Eller which (according to her) is as good if not better than Wharton.

You couldn't make this stuff up. :lol:
Last edited by Harvey Specter on Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Harvey Specter wrote:
gumby wrote:if Utah plays like that again ... Cats by 25!
You are missing the point.... Haven't you need reading the boards? We will play like we did last night on the road at Utah, so we won't even SCORE 25 points.

If it is any consolation, post game call in show makes these broads look rational.
This probably wasn't intentional-either way it makes me laugh. :lol:
-JB
gumby

Post by gumby »

Hmm ... I see the point. If we play like last night - - holding team to 25 below average - - and we lose by 25, that means we'll barely score more than 20.