ASU coaching staff

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Olsondogg

ASU coaching staff

Post by Olsondogg »

Don't know if this was posted on here, but I heard the radio here in PHX chirping a bit about this...Hansen had an article in his column this past Sunday:

Moments before Arizona kicker Casey Skowron missed a 36-yard field goal that would’ve beaten USC 29-28 last week, new Arizona State baseball coach Tracy Smith tweeted “Miss it.”

And when the kick sailed wide right, Smith tweeted a thumbs-up icon.

That’s juvenile and unprofessional. I was dumbfounded.

Can you imagine Andy Lopez, or any Arizona head coach, similarly, making social media comments about a Sun Devil athlete or athletic event?

Ever?

Greg Byrne and his UA predecessors, Jim Livengood and Cedric Dempsey, would’ve a) croaked and b) forced the coach to make a public apology.

The UA-ASU rivalry is cookin’, among the most deeply-rooted in college sports. But when a 48-year-old head coach joins the chorus of Twitter knotheads, it’s nothing but embarrassing.

I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
azgreg

Re: ASU coaching staff

Post by azgreg »

I saw that but I don't think it's a big deal. I think in this instance he's just acting as a ASU fan and taking solace in the failure of his rival.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azgreg wrote:I saw that but I don't think it's a big deal. I think in this instance he's just acting as a ASU fan and taking solace in the failure of his rival.
Employees of an athletic department should be nothing but polite, gracious, and positive on social media. They are representing their university with every tweet and post.

If they want to openly root against a rival they should do so anonymously. Make an account on a fan site like this one and have at it.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Classless behavior from ASSU is standard behavior. Fans or coaches - scum
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat wrote:
azgreg wrote:I saw that but I don't think it's a big deal. I think in this instance he's just acting as a ASU fan and taking solace in the failure of his rival.
Employees of an athletic department should be nothing but polite, gracious, and positive on social media. They are representing their university with every tweet and post.

If they want to openly root against a rival they should do so anonymously. Make an account on a fan site like this one and have at it.
I get what you're saying, I just don't think it's that big as deal. Of the fail from STD St this is much to do about nothing.
Scummy Dick Douglas

Post by Scummy Dick Douglas »

Chicat wrote:

Isn't Matt Dudek an employee of the athletic department here?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Scummy Dick Douglas wrote:
Chicat wrote:

That crossed my mind and I think Matty is up to doing the same thing.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

It's different with Matt
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Chicat wrote:

Has Matt openly rooted against ASU? If so, I haven't seen it. From what I've seen, Matt's Twitter is all about Arizona.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Don't think anything similar.

https://twitter.com/AZ_Matty_D

Although ice cream tacos are a little irrelevant to UA sports.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ScummyD, I went back four weeks and couldn't find anything in Matt's Twitter that I thought misrepresented UA in any way, shape, or form. Everything I saw was positive. I'm guessing though you have a different opinion?
Scummy Dick Douglas

Chicat wrote:ScummyD, I went back four weeks and couldn't find anything in Matt's Twitter that I thought misrepresented UA in any way, shape, or form. Everything I saw was positive. I'm guessing though you have a different opinion?
I remember seeing something from him the night ASU lost to UCLA, something about UA being the only undefeated team left in Arizona. He also had some clever meme's right after the Oregon game, mocking some of their slogans and playing off the loss. I guess I still don't see how the tweet in question was a big deal.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

There is a difference in being anti ASU or anti UA and posting something about a specific player failing. If the dumb ASU baseball coach tweeted "I hope UA loses" it would have been no big deal. When he tweets about a student missing a FG (which he received death threats after) he shows that he is an idiot.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Chicat wrote:ScummyD, I went back four weeks and couldn't find anything in Matt's Twitter that I thought misrepresented UA in any way, shape, or form. Everything I saw was positive. I'm guessing though you have a different opinion?
I remember seeing something from him the night ASU lost to UCLA, something about UA being the only undefeated team left in Arizona. He also had some clever meme's right after the Oregon game, mocking some of their slogans and playing off the loss. I guess I still don't see how the tweet in question was a big deal.
ODogg answered this very well. There's a big difference between being for your school and hoping a student athlete fails. I didn't see anything from Matt that even approached that. Your false equivalence is false.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Olsondogg wrote:There is a difference in being anti ASU or anti UA and posting something about a specific player failing. If the dumb ASU baseball coach tweeted "I hope UA loses" it would have been no big deal. When he tweets about a student missing a FG (which he received death threats after) he shows that he is an idiot.
I can see this angle. However, I take his tweet as being against Arizona in general and not against Casey in particular.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

azgreg wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:There is a difference in being anti ASU or anti UA and posting something about a specific player failing. If the dumb ASU baseball coach tweeted "I hope UA loses" it would have been no big deal. When he tweets about a student missing a FG (which he received death threats after) he shows that he is an idiot.
I can see this angle. However, I take his tweet as being against Arizona in general and not against Casey in particular.
Point is: he's the head coach of a team in a power conference and shouldn't...well...you know what, I'm glad he coaches where he coaches and represents what he represents.

I'm also glad our coaches don't tweet similarly.
Scummy Dick Douglas

Chicat wrote:
ODogg answered this very well. There's a big difference between being for your school and hoping a student athlete fails. I didn't see anything from Matt that even approached that. Your false equivalence is false.
It is my understanding he tweeted something along the lines of "miss it". Had he tweeted "block it", would that be ok?

Some of you are implying this "behavior" is unacceptable for a member of a D1 athletic department. If roles were reversed, I doubt a single one of you would have a problem with a UA coach doing the same. In fact, you would probably rally around the hypothetical coach. I, for one, would appreciate a little more fire from the UA coaches in regards to ASU.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Chicat wrote:
It is my understanding he tweeted something along the lines of "miss it". Had he tweeted "block it", would that be ok?

Some of you are implying this "behavior" is unacceptable for a member of a D1 athletic department. If roles were reversed, I doubt a single one of you would have a problem with a UA coach doing the same. In fact, you would probably rally around the hypothetical coach. I, for one, would appreciate a little more fire from the UA coaches in regards to ASU.
I'd have an issue with our coaches doing similarly, obviously. They don't do it. It's called being classy.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Their AD addressed it on radio yesterday in PHX. I like that he doesn't answer the question that he asks himself:

"I'm aware of it," Anderson said. "Do I condone it? Tracy is one who is rooting for his fellow coach. And certainly the thought that if Arizona loses a game, now we're closer to them was on his mind.

"I think that if he had to do it over again, he might be a little more sensitive to the fact that some people are way oversensitive. Particularly, if you're in a coach's position, you have to be cautious about that. We've talked about it and I think he will be more cautious about his tweeting moving forward."

http://arizonasports.com/44/1776529/Ari ... ball-tweet
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Scummy Dick Douglas wrote:Some of you are implying this "behavior" is unacceptable for a member of a D1 athletic department. If roles were reversed, I doubt a single one of you would have a problem with a UA coach doing the same. In fact, you would probably rally around the hypothetical coach. I, for one, would appreciate a little more fire from the UA coaches in regards to ASU.
I want our athletic department social media to be all about Arizona. A little trash talk in good fun during rivalry week is one thing. Rooting for other programs to lose is different.

Guessing what I would do or how I would feel in a hypothetical situation is not your strong suit. If Mike Candrea was tweeting "miss it" during an ASU kick, I'd think it was kind of shitty. And if ASU fans wanted to call him on it, I wouldn't "rally around" him. I'd hope that Byrne would talk to him and let him know that rooting for other Arizona sports is great, but to keep it positive always.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Am I missing something with ASU? Why are people all over there nuts? People really think they are going THUMP Utah. I just don't see it!