Ayton is the real deal
Miller is actually talking about employing a zone
The perfect storm transpired and it's not even December
We will right the ship
CalStateTempe

Re: Bright side

Post by CalStateTempe »

What Romers role in all this?

I would think having him on the bench, the kids (and Miller) would buy into letting the players play and team motion offense.
Statfreak77

Post by Statfreak77 »

CalStateTempe wrote:What Romers role in all this?

I would think having him on the bench, the kids (and Miller) would buy into letting the players play and team motion offense.
I am thinking that Arizona's assistant coaches just aren't very good at coaching. Good-to-great recruiters, but subpar game planning, strategic, and developmental coaches.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

Statfreak77 wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:What Romers role in all this?

I am thinking that Arizona's assistant coaches just aren't very good at coaching. Good-to-great recruiters, but subpar game planning, strategic, and developmental coaches.
I would buy into Miller micro managing before I would say that of Romar...he had that same disgusted look he always had at Washington last night...not a good sign.
Bruins01

Post by Bruins01 »

Let me tell you from experience: a defensive-oriented man-to-man-only head coach talking about deploying a zone is NOT good development.
History says, Don't hope
On this side of the grave,
But then, once in a lifetime
The longed-for tidal wave
Of justice can rise up
And hope and history rhyme.

Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth.
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

Bruins01 wrote:Let me tell you from experience: a defensive-oriented man-to-man-only head coach talking about deploying a zone is NOT good development.
You mean like Coach K who is actually deploying a zone this year. A zone is just another tool. It works to stir the pot. And it makes it harder to game plan for. It has its place, just like a full-court press.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

My problem is we just don't change things up on D so it's extremely easy to game plan against AZ especially if you have only 24 hrs like what occurred in the Bahamas.

How about a zone trap now and then? Or ball pressure in the back court? Or double team a hot shooter so he can't hurt you?

Opposing teams can so easily get into a rhythm against us in the half court. It just drives me crazy.

Just don't get it with the athletes we have.
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

bright side is we were unprepared and unfortunately had to play three games without time to get prepared

and hopefully this breaks Miller into being less stubborn, doubtful tho imo
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

Actually the bright side is it's behind us now...whatever the fuck it was...unless it isn't...which means we won't know if there's a bright side until we enter conference play...
legallykenny

Post by legallykenny »

Bruins01 wrote:Let me tell you from experience: a defensive-oriented man-to-man-only head coach talking about deploying a zone is NOT good development.
Fittingly a friend mentioned yesterday that Miller looks to be following Howland’s career arc but with a much lower peak. Only difference is that when Howland/Addidas bought his last recruiting clas they actually played well occasionally.
Bordercat

Post by Bordercat »

it's the next logical progression in his professional development. Coach K went 2-3 zone in the entire game against MSU.

You have to be able to adapt. No way Ristic can be guarding guys at the 3 point arc. But Ristic should play.

Lute Olson was a legend and would often mix defense within a game.

It's what good coaches do. If Miller can learn to open his mind it might lead to Nirvana.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Bordercat wrote:
it's the next logical progression in his professional development. Coach K went 2-3 zone in the entire game against MSU.

You have to be able to adapt. No way Ristic can be guarding guys at the 3 point arc. But Ristic should play.

Lute Olson was a legend and would often mix defense within a game.

It's what good coaches do. If Miller can learn to open his mind it might lead to Nirvana.
no he shouldn't, only backing up ayton and never playing together at the same time
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Cats need a scorer outside of Ayton and Trier. For that reason Ristic needs to see the court. Just need a defensive genius on where to protect him.
Dave

Post by Dave »

I hate to say it but deploying a zone might be the only answer for this team. This team looks like it is never going be a good defensive team. We don't have one lock down defender on this team. I think I could take every one of these guys to the rack. Maybe not Ayton. :lol: