What are things that people do that piss you off?

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

scumdevils86

Re: What are things that people do that piss you off?

Post by scumdevils86 »

incredibly incompetent employees that reflect poorly upon our company and our level of service that i expect. buh bye....
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

My experience?

'I'd like a large coffee, please.'
'A Grande sir?'
'Is Grande large?'
'Well, yes, but we've got the Venti which is even larger.'
'Oh, so despite the word grande actually meaning large in Spanish, you people have changed it's meaning to medium?'
'Yes sir. Your Venti will be up shortly.'
gumby wrote:It takes an alarmingly long time to order coffee at Starbucks.

"Small black coffee, please."

"So, a tall?"

"No, a small."

"Tall is our small."

"Oh, so we're in Brobdingnag?

"Huh?"

"Never mind. Cool Buble CDs. "

"Do you want room?"

"No, I live in town. Besides, we just met."

"No, I mean room for cream and/or sugar."

"In my black coffee?"

"Oh, I see."

"You do?"

"Yes, you were talking about Gulliver's Travels."

"Indeed."
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

They mean "grande" in Italian because people think that anything is better in Italian. But in Italian you'd actually call it "succo di merda."
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Ya know, the funny thing is I've had that conversation in at least ten different Starbucks many of which were outside the US. It doesn't matter from which culture your barrista comes, the blank look is universal.

EDIT: I haven't even begun on the small vs. tall argument. 'So, did you just mistakenly believe that because tall rhymes with small it actually has the same meaning? Because that's really not very smart.'
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Starbucks actually used to serve a "small" which was 8 ounces, and the "tall" is 12 ounces. "Venti" means 20 in Italian, and that's the size of that cup. I guess they could have gone with "Sedici" for the 16 ounce, but used "Grande" instead since I'm guessing they wanted to signify that it was bigger than the "Tall".

The reason for not just going with small, medium, and large was to differentiate themselves from other chain coffee places and to inspire brand loyalty. People often talk about "learning how to order" at their favorite coffee shop. Once they do, they can get a coffee made exactly to their specifications anywhere those stores exist without having to go through a bunch of explanations to the barrista about how much room to leave for milk or how much sugar to put in. Then when that person who goes to Starbucks religiously is forced to go to Dunkin Donuts and their coffee order is all messed up because they aren't used to ordering it there, they yearn for their precious Starbucks and head back there as soon as possible.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I've never ordered a coffee from Starbuck's. If somebody else who knows how were to order me some specialized coffee with a complicated string of adjectives, would it blow my mind?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I have no interest in a place where I have to "learn how to order."
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azgreg wrote:I have no interest in a place where I have to "learn how to order."
You "learn how to order" at all kinds of places. You know, like you know that if you ask for extra cheese on your extra large double bacon six cheese at Papa Johns they won't charge you for it. ;)

Seriously, think about all the places you've been to or ordered from more than 5 times. You've learned how to order there in many subtle and not-so-subtle ways. And corporate language is a big part of that. The reason why for a long time you got tenders at Burger King instead of nuggets is because after McDonald's came out with theirs, everyone and their grandmother was calling a small breaded and fried piece of chicken a "McNugget". And if you were to go into a Burger King and order "nuggets" the person at the register would repeat back to you, "That's 1 5-piece tenders. Would you like any sauce with your tenders?" But McDonald's won that battle and Burger King found that people were not ordering their tenders. They wanted nuggets. More specifically, "Chicken McNuggets". So they changed the name and the breading because McDonald's taught hundreds of millions of Americans how to order a little nugget of (god I don't want to even think about it...).
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I also don't want to eat anything from a chicken you could call a nugget.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azgreg wrote:I also don't want to eat anything from a chicken you could call a nugget.
Then you have to "learn how to order" with your health in mind at corporate restaurants.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Chicat wrote:
azgreg wrote:I have no interest in a place where I have to "learn how to order."
You "learn how to order" at all kinds of places. You know, like you know that if you ask for extra cheese on your extra large double bacon six cheese at Papa Johns they won't charge you for it. ;)

Seriously, think about all the places you've been to or ordered from more than 5 times. You've learned how to order there in many subtle and not-so-subtle ways. And corporate language is a big part of that. The reason why for a long time you got tenders at Burger King instead of nuggets is because after McDonald's came out with theirs, everyone and their grandmother was calling a small breaded and fried piece of chicken a "McNugget". And if you were to go into a Burger King and order "nuggets" the person at the register would repeat back to you, "That's 1 5-piece tenders. Would you like any sauce with your tenders?" But McDonald's won that battle and Burger King found that people were not ordering their tenders. They wanted nuggets. More specifically, "Chicken McNuggets". So they changed the name and the breading because McDonald's taught hundreds of millions of Americans how to order a little nugget of (god I don't want to even think about it...).
So then at a permanent cognitive level, learning how to order at a corporate chain that serves fake food, and then forgetting that you once learned how, is culinary suicide. A small part of your authentic confrontation with actual food dies every time you naturalize how to order.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Longhorned wrote:
Chicat wrote:

So then at a permanent cognitive level, learning how to order at a corporate chain that serves fake food, and then forgetting that you once learned how, is culinary suicide. A small part of your authentic confrontation with actual food dies every time you naturalize how to order.
Yes, but the bigger death to your culinary soul happens when you actually eat the food and pronounce it good, even though it is technically not the former and certainly not the latter.
gumby

Post by gumby »

I just want a fucking cup of coffee.
Right where I want to be.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

gumby wrote:I just want a fucking cup of coffee.
Won't find that at Starbucks anymore.

Hell, they've opened three of them at the Disneyland Resort in the past 18 months and the lines are longer to them than for most of the Fantasyland rides.

It ain't about the coffee with Starbucks. If it ever was.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

catgrad97 wrote:
gumby wrote:I just want a fucking cup of coffee.
Won't find that at Starbucks anymore.

Hell, they've opened three of them at the Disneyland Resort in the past 18 months and the lines are longer to them than for most of the Fantasyland rides.

It ain't about the coffee with Starbucks. If it ever was.
You mean it's about the espresso drinks and flavored "lattes"? Because it can't be about the food. The only food I ever liked there was a frosted maple oat nut scone that they made back in the 90s. It had a brown sugar taste to it. Then it vanished and came back as something timid and fake.

For coffee, I just like the one in the little blue cup that you can get at any deli in NYC.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

I don't drink coffee, so I'll just take your word on that J.

Every sip I am compelled take from a Starbucks latte or frappuccino activates, from the bottom of my stomach, my considerable gag reflex. "Try it honey, it's great--it's strawberry!"

No, it's confectioner's liquid. Really don't understand how most people can get those down, much less get addicted with all the sugar we already get pumped into our daily intake.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

The occasional caramel frappucino is good, but that's as close as i get to drinking coffee.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Life without coffee and tea is inconceivable to me. As is the fact that I made it through three years of college without it. I truly wish I'd started earlier and got more out of reading and going to class.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Caffeine does nothing for me. That's why I stick to cocaine.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Longhorned wrote:Life without coffee and tea is inconceivable to me. As is the fact that I made it through three years of college without it. I truly wish I'd started earlier and got more out of reading and going to class.
The smell and taste of tea makes me nauseous and to me all hot coffee tastes like burnt water. Doesn't matter if it is folgers or some thousand dollar micro coffee brew or if it has cream or sugar or is black...it all just tastes like old burnt hot water.

scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

ASUHATER! wrote:
Longhorned wrote:Life without coffee and tea is inconceivable to me. As is the fact that I made it through three years of college without it. I truly wish I'd started earlier and got more out of reading and going to class.
The smell and taste of tea makes me nauseous and to me all hot coffee tastes like burnt water. Doesn't matter if it is folgers or some thousand dollar micro coffee brew or if it has cream or sugar or is black...it all just tastes like old burnt hot water.
you think all wine tastes the same too yo'. maybe yer tongue is broke.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

ASUHATER! wrote:
I always imagined that if you don't like coffee, you don't like chocolate, either. Because they're too similar.

Do you like chocolate?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Love chocolate. Hate hot coffee. Also am not a fan of hot chocolate.

KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

I don't always drink coffee, but when I do it's Douwe Egbert.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

ASUHATER! wrote:Love chocolate. Hate hot coffee. Also am not a fan of hot chocolate.
Hold on. Two more, please:

iced coffee?

chocolate milk?
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

ASUHATER! wrote:Love chocolate. Hate hot coffee. Also am not a fan of hot chocolate.
Same here, except hot cocoa has grown on me. Like chocolate milk too but not iced coffee.

Still, there's a big difference between water-brewed hot cocoa and hot chocolate, which is pure-brewed dark with milk. Ohh buddy, is there a difference.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Chicat wrote:Caffeine does nothing for me. That's why I stick to cocaine.
Venti?
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Chicat wrote:Starbucks actually used to serve a "small" which was 8 ounces, and the "tall" is 12 ounces. "Venti" means 20 in Italian, and that's the size of that cup. I guess they could have gone with "Sedici" for the 16 ounce, but used "Grande" instead since I'm guessing they wanted to signify that it was bigger than the "Tall".

The reason for not just going with small, medium, and large was to differentiate themselves from other chain coffee places and to inspire brand loyalty. People often talk about "learning how to order" at their favorite coffee shop. Once they do, they can get a coffee made exactly to their specifications anywhere those stores exist without having to go through a bunch of explanations to the barrista about how much room to leave for milk or how much sugar to put in. Then when that person who goes to Starbucks religiously is forced to go to Dunkin Donuts and their coffee order is all messed up because they aren't used to ordering it there, they yearn for their precious Starbucks and head back there as soon as possible.
This is absolutely true. I'm not complaining about Starbuck's from a marketing sense. Everything they've done has been absolutely brilliant. But let's be honest, when you're looking at a target market for just about any consumer product, your target has as much intellect and individuality as your average bleating sheep.

This whole thing was pioneered by movie theater concessions. When was the last time you saw a small soft drink offered? The smallest is medium. Has been for decades.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

When "fans" throw things at players, or shine laser lights into their eyes, or just generally act like degenerates.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Fair weather fans.

People who complain about the weather all the time.

People at the casino who have a "system" and won't stop talking about it.

ASU in general
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

When people chew really loudly near me I get totally disgusted
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Alieberman wrote:When people chew really loudly near me I get totally disgusted
Just fart and send the message.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

PieceOfMeat wrote:When "fans" throw things at players, or shine laser lights into their eyes, or just generally act like degenerates.
Because Mexico? I think Trump bases his whole assumption of the people from their fans
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

MrBug708 wrote:
PieceOfMeat wrote:When "fans" throw things at players, or shine laser lights into their eyes, or just generally act like degenerates.
Because Mexico? I think Trump bases his whole assumption of the people from their fans
And El Chapo.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

MrBug708 wrote:
Because Mexico?
Just the most recent example of it, but I've seen it from plenty of dumbass fans in plenty of sports.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Defend guns and shooters. That pisses me off

PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Gross over generalizations of people.

People who take multiple machines at the gym and those who don't reach weights.

Cell phone overuseage
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

How about when people shine lasers at commercial aircraft? What an odd thing to do.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Puerco wrote:
How about when people shine lasers at commercial aircraft? What an odd thing to do.

Yeah that's a good example o another use of laser lights that pisses me off. "Hey, let's temporarily blind that pilot! Maybe he'll crash the plane!"

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Puerco wrote:
Speaking of which, people who don't turn off their brights when another car approaches.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Longhorned wrote:
Puerco wrote:
Speaking of which, people who don't turn off their brights when another car approaches.
I usually just give them a flash of my brights. Then if they don't turn theirs off (depending on my mood, if there are other cars behind him, and if there's a median), I will sometimes turn on my brights and leave them on as well.

But what truly sucks is when some idiot is behind you with his brights on. What do you do then besides either slow down until they pass you (they're inevitably going to just pace your speed, so that's never an option) or gesticulate wildly in the hopes that they understand that your wild arm movements are an indication their lights are blinding you and that you're not just dancing wildly to "Funky Cold Medina"?

I knew a guy who had one burned out headlight, but was too cheap and lazy to replace it. So he just drove around with his brights on all night so he wouldn't get a ticket. Riding in a car with him was what I imagine riding in a car with a giant sign on top stating "I fucked your mother" would be like. The amount of hate that came his way was astonishing . . . and deserved.
gumby

Post by gumby »

It pisses me off that there's this thread and the venting thread.

DAMN IT TO HELL!!!

(Apologies if this is in the wrong thread)
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

gumby wrote:It pisses me off that there's this thread and the venting thread.

DAMN IT TO HELL!!!

(Apologies if this is in the wrong thread)
I almost object as soon as this thread was created. But then I let it go, man. I just let it go.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

People that leave two pots of coffee on the office machine with one ounce each and don't make more.

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Drones. Watching this Cajon Pass fire and they had to stop dropping water because of the presence of drones. They need to start taking them out
gumby

Post by gumby »

UAEebs86 wrote:People that leave two pots of coffee on the office machine with one ounce each and don't make more.

Oh man, yes!

http://www.beardownwildcats.com/viewtop ... 13#p120813
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

UAEebs86 wrote:People that leave two pots of coffee on the office machine with one ounce each and don't make more.

Terrible Terry Tate has to be one of my favorite all time commercial series.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

People who put decaf in the normal coffee pot?

Hehe, oh wait...
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Speaking of Coffee, it seems like my two biggest social media peeves are people who incessantly post about their love and need of coffee every day and those who post their crossfit pictures and talk about their new personal record
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

When the guy in the aisle seat next to you asks for the seatbelt extension.