Any hvac experts on here?

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

scumdevils86

Any hvac experts on here?

Post by scumdevils86 »

I'm assuredly not one. Fiancee's a.c. has been a little off lately but now its just intolerable. I want to make sure I've tried what I could before we get her sketchy rental management company involved.

A.c. runs for maybe 5 to 10 minutes tops before shutting off for up to several hours. There's a new filter in it and I reset the breaker but it is just getting worse. It is pushing 85 in here currently. It's a ground mounted unit behind the house which is an older house and has a sort of tunnel dug through the foundation to where the filter is placed.
Longhorned

Re: Any hvac experts on here?

Post by Longhorned »

No expert, but the modern filters are often too "filtery" for some of the older units, so you may want to pick up a 3-pack of those old fashioned, really cheap filters for around $3 or whatever. The ones that are so thin that you can see through them. When it gets too hot or too cold, the force of air can't get through the thicker filters. In which case, just forget about the advantage of the thick ones filtering out the allergens, which is B.S. anyway.

Also, does the outdoor unit make any odd sound? Do the fan blades look normal when they're spinning? If you decide to unscrew it to make sure everything is secure inside, just be sure to turn the AC/heat off completely first for obvious reasons.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Sounds like a stuck reversing valve and no, I dont know how to fiix it or test. Just had it happen to us. Good luck
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

One more thing to consider: it could even be the thermostat. It could be as simple as changing the battery. You can also look up the model online to find a troubleshooting guide, or call the number to have them walk you through resetting it.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

I'd call Russett Southwest.

I've used them for years and have referred several people with no complaints.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

And the honey-do list begins...

;)
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

wyo-cat wrote:I'd call Russett Southwest.

I've used them for years and have referred several people with no complaints.
Because you own. But as a renter, that would make it her financial responsibility instead of the owner's.

If it were 85 degrees inside my house, I'd have to go have a really long dinner out somewhere. "What? You want me to free up this table? Go bring me another stack of pancakes."
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Longhorned wrote:No expert, but the modern filters are often too "filtery" for some of the older units, so you may want to pick up a 3-pack of those old fashioned, really cheap filters for around $3 or whatever. The ones that are so thin that you can see through them. When it gets too hot or too cold, the force of air can't get through the thicker filters. In which case, just forget about the advantage of the thick ones filtering out the allergens, which is B.S. anyway.

Also, does the outdoor unit make any odd sound? Do the fan blades look normal when they're spinning? If you decide to unscrew it to make sure everything is secure inside, just be sure to turn the AC/heat off completely first for obvious reasons.
Every hvac guy I've talked to has the same advice for filters as you do.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I know hvac's very well.

The easiest and most cost effective solution is to dump the fiancee.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Alieberman wrote:I know hvac's very well.

The easiest and most cost effective solution is to dump the fiancee.
I'd like to ride around with you on your service calls. A one-piece jumper uniform with a sewn-on name patch, a never-opened toolbox, and a white van.

"Hi! Thanks for showing up!"

"What seems to be the problem?"

"My girlfriend's AC kicks in and then suddenly stops. When I re-set the thermostat, it just happens again. What could the problem be?"

"Oh I know what the problem is. Get me a glass of iced tea and let's sit down and talk a minute."
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Last night I discovered our AC wasn't working (fan was blowing, thermostat was on, etc) and I opened up this thread, saw the first post, checked the breaker, and now my family thinks I'm a hero.

Thanks!!!
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
BMalo

Post by BMalo »

Certainly not an expert but there could be 2 things to consider:

1) I have an automatic stopper on my condensation drain pan so when the line gets clogged and water in the pan gets to a certain level, the unit shuts off to prevent overflow and water damage.

2) Is the compressor bad? Our unit is old as fuck and too small for our small house and it has gone out twice in the past 2 years.

Either way, I'd have the property management take care of that shit. Anything aside from what you've already done isn't worth her (your?) money if she's renting.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

yeah i'm definitely not gonna pay anything out of pocket other than the new filter i picked up. i'm wondering if it isn't the condensation drain as well...seems like a likely culprit. when the unit is working it works great it just only works for 5 minutes at a time.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

CalStateTempe wrote:And the honey-do list begins...

;)

SD86: "It is good to be useful!"

:lol:
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

gumby

Post by gumby »

Once went a month w/o AC in Tucson while waiting for property management to take care of it. Brutal. They gave us a break on rent. Totally not worth it. They're lucky somebody didn't die.
Right where I want to be.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

gumby wrote:Once went a month w/o AC in Tucson while waiting for property management to take care of it. Brutal. They gave us a break on rent. Totally not worth it. They're lucky somebody didn't die.
Same here, except w/o heat in Philly in January. The landlord gave me some space heaters in the meantime. Every time I plugged them in, they shorted the electricity in the apartment. Went from freezing to freezing and dark.

What do they think we are? Farm animals?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I remember one summer when the AC went out when our boys were just babies. Had my wife lie on a bed with them while I spritzed water right below the ceiling fan. Sort of a in house mister.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

gumby wrote:Once went a month w/o AC in Tucson while waiting for property management to take care of it. Brutal. They gave us a break on rent. Totally not worth it. They're lucky somebody didn't die.
which month? january or june?
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

After 3 days I would have just called in someone on my own and told the management company I was going to take off whatever it cost from my rent.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I might just not come back from the Oregon Coast after my wedding next year. Where AC is practically unheard of and heaters are rarely ever needed.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Chicat wrote:
After 3 days I would have just called in someone on my own and told the management company I was going to take off whatever it cost from my rent.
plus 10% if you ask me
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

So how did this story end, SD? Or are you lying in a bath tub filled with ice?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

well...management co. handyman was supposed to have been summoned yesterday morning by the flaky property manager lady. we both worked all day so we left the dog in one of the cooler rooms with water and pad to shit on if need be. hadn't heard anything by 2 pm so I send ASUHATER over to pop in and check on the house and the dog and the AC is running fairly well. he leaves at 2:30 or so and the fiancee gets back at about 430. AC is working beautifully (as well as it can anyway for a 68 year old house that wasn't built with AC in mind) when she gets home and it ran well all night. no feedback or response from the managment company if the handyman ever came over and did anything. but it was working fine. guess i'll see when i get home in about 4 hours.
gumby

Post by gumby »

ASUHATER! wrote:
which month? january or june?
Neither. But a summer one.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Chicat wrote:
It was the entire complex. Some major part on the antiquated unit was busted and they conducted an extended search of junkyards nationwide for a replacement, rather than updating. I was dirt poor, and actually though the discount was handy. Dirt poor and dumb.
BMalo

Post by BMalo »

AC unit went out at 2am this morning. Pretty awesome. Home warranty said they'd cover it but it would've taken 3-5 business days. I asked the woman on the phone if she'd wait 3-5 business days for heat in her home in Utah where she said she worked. Apparently living in Phoenix during the summer and having an 8 month old isn't considered a priority for them so we're paying out of pocket and the home warranty is going to reimburse us for parts.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

My dads ac went out Sunday evening and he has an old unit and a home warranty. He went two days without ac in his house and the repairman was two hours late.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

what the hell is an air conditioner?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

97cats wrote:what the hell is an air conditioner?
That thing you wish you had when the Santa Anas are blowing...