Fun With Math

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

gumby

Fun With Math

Post by gumby »

Americans' struggles with math highlighted by this anecdote:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/27/magaz ... -news&_r=0
One of the most vivid arithmetic failings displayed by Americans occurred in the early 1980s, when the A&W restaurant chain released a new hamburger to rival the McDonald’s Quarter Pounder. With a third-pound of beef, the A&W burger had more meat than the Quarter Pounder; in taste tests, customers preferred A&W’s burger. And it was less expensive. A lavish A&W television and radio marketing campaign cited these benefits. Yet instead of leaping at the great value, customers snubbed it.

Only when the company held customer focus groups did it become clear why. The Third Pounder presented the American public with a test in fractions. And we failed. Misunderstanding the value of one-third, customers believed they were being overcharged. Why, they asked the researchers, should they pay the same amount for a third of a pound of meat as they did for a quarter-pound of meat at McDonald’s. The “4” in “¼,” larger than the “3” in “⅓,” led them astray.
Right where I want to be.
Longhorned

Re: Fun With Math

Post by Longhorned »

Whatever. I know a diner that actually charges more for a 1/2 pound burger than a 1/3 pound burger. I said to the waitress, "What? Are the sesame seeds made of gold?" She looked at me and said, "No shirt, no shoes, no service." Turns out she wasn't kidding. I walked out with the mustard squeezer hidden in my crotch.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I read this as fun with meth.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Longhorned wrote:Whatever. I know a diner that actually charges more for a 1/2 pound burger than a 1/3 pound burger. I said to the waitress, "What? Are the sesame seeds made of gold?" She looked at me and said, "No shirt, no shoes, no service." Turns out she wasn't kidding. I walked out with the mustard squeezer hidden in my crotch.
You're the reason we need lawyers.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

77HoyaCat4Ever

Post by 77HoyaCat4Ever »

Fractionally interesting, Gumby

gumby

Post by gumby »

Must be that Teat Offensive I learnt about in History.
Right where I want to be.
thenewazcats

Post by thenewazcats »

[youtube]CL9KD_eEIkI[/youtube]
Reydituto

Post by Reydituto »

gumby wrote:Americans' struggles with math highlighted by this anecdote:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/27/magaz ... -news&_r=0
One of the most vivid arithmetic failings displayed by Americans occurred in the early 1980s, when the A&W restaurant chain released a new hamburger to rival the McDonald’s Quarter Pounder. With a third-pound of beef, the A&W burger had more meat than the Quarter Pounder; in taste tests, customers preferred A&W’s burger. And it was less expensive. A lavish A&W television and radio marketing campaign cited these benefits. Yet instead of leaping at the great value, customers snubbed it.

Only when the company held customer focus groups did it become clear why. The Third Pounder presented the American public with a test in fractions. And we failed. Misunderstanding the value of one-third, customers believed they were being overcharged. Why, they asked the researchers, should they pay the same amount for a third of a pound of meat as they did for a quarter-pound of meat at McDonald’s. The “4” in “¼,” larger than the “3” in “⅓,” led them astray.

This made me weep ...
But in my book, you gotta get to White Castle before the weirdos show up!
Tonight he gets Happy-Go-Jackie on the big white guy like a donkey eating a waffle!
Sweet Sassy Molassey, get out the checkbook and pay Grandma for the rubdown!