If you had to pick ONE restaurant in Tucson

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

84Cat

Re: If you had to pick ONE restaurant in Tucson

Post by 84Cat »

Jefe wrote:Where was Chances?
The same shopping center as Millie's Pancake House and Sakura's on Tanque Verde. I spent a lot of time in that place. I've probably shared the dance floor with Jefe's parents.
Last edited by 84Cat on Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I was probably oogling Jefe's mom. Sorry. A lot of very attractive people at that club. Surprised they even let me in.
Jefe wrote:Where was Chances?
I remember this, very "mysterious". The Stray Cat/Dooley's fire was also very mysterious.

http://entertaintucson.com/volumeone/19 ... ruary.html

Chances burned to the ground

Chances Night Club, 6542 E. Tanque Verde Road, was condemned hours after an arson fire ripped through the building Thursday, January 11, 1985. The bar opened in November 1978.

Club went downhill after this very popular DJ was killed:

http://tucson.com/kwfm-disc-jockey-was- ... 86191.html

An obsessed woman murdered popular KWFM disc jockey Bob Cooke in August 1982. Although the case was quickly compared to the movie thriller “Play Misty for Me,” apparently the assailant’s only real connection with Cooke was in her mind.

After finishing a shift at Chances where he also worked as a dj, Cooke left the E. Tanque Verde Road nightclub to head home. A 23-year-old woman had been waiting for him in the parking lot and followed him in her car. She got him to pull over and stop in a church parking lot on E. Pima St.

Neighbors heard shouting and two gunshots and called police. They also reported a woman leaving the scene. She was apprehended several blocks away, driving the victim’s car.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Reydituto wrote:
Jefe wrote:Cross Jacksons Tavern off the list, if it was ever on it. Went against my better judgement last night and had dinner there with the family. Place was half full and we waited 10 minutes for a waiter, 10-15 minutes for drinks and then 45 mins for our food(mostly burgers). After we ordered we never saw our waiter again. Drinks were alright but weak and the layour of the place is just odd. Numerous tables around us left early or complained about service or wrong orders. Wont be back and I would be shocked if they make it another 4 months
This summer is going to be brutal for them.

Metzger needs to concentrate on Poppy, tighten the ship there and make that concept fulfill its vast potential, before he starts or continues with other half-baked concepts that are poorly matched with the Tucson market. A non-traditional overpriced taco shop? A New England seafood "tavern" where 95% of everything "seafood" comes in frozen? Not too bright.
Poppy's is closing. Anyone surprised?
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

But, but

http://www.tucsonweekly.com/TheRange/ar ... oma-resort

Metzger, who was regarded as an up-and-coming Sam Fox-style restaurateur, could not immediately be reached for comment on the closure of his restaurant, which was announced the evening of Friday, Aug. 28.

LOL

0/5

Who is/has been funding this guy?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

so...
abbey...done
jackson tavern...done
gio taco...done
poppy kitchen...done
(plus another one on oracle and ina i can't remember)...done
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Jax Kitchen

0/5

In less than 5 years he put 100+ people out of work and tossed millions down the drain.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

And these are the people that get 293 chances and are never held accountable for their actions while people that occasionally smoke weed can face jail time
Last edited by ASUHATER! on Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

enter never?
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

catgrad97 wrote:Not one vote for Mi Nidito or Casa Molina?
My first thought "for ONE restaurant in Tucson" was Mi Nidito. Used to do Casa Molina a lot just cause it was more accessible, but I wouldn't put it on the 'pick ONE' candidates list.

My number 2 Mexican place would be Karichimaka's.

My other absolute favorite was Caruso's.

But I have lived in Australia for 30 years now and have zero idea how those places fare alongside other 'traditional' places let alone the new ones that have come and gone since I've lived there.

EDIT: I just checked out Karichimaka's on the web to make sure they were still around and found a old Citizen review that mentioned the "Pollo en Pipian". Oh, man I can just about taste it again - I'm definitely hitting it up next time I'm in town.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

RichardCranium wrote:
catgrad97 wrote:Not one vote for Mi Nidito or Casa Molina?
My first thought "for ONE restaurant in Tucson" was Mi Nidito. Used to do Casa Molina a lot just cause it was more accessible, but I wouldn't put it on the 'pick ONE' candidates list.

My number 2 Mexican place would be Karichimaka's.

My other absolute favorite was Caruso's.

But I have lived in Australia for 30 years now and have zero idea how those places fare alongside other 'traditional' places let alone the new ones that have come and gone since I've lived there.

EDIT: I just checked out Karichimaka's on the web to make sure they were still around and found a old Citizen review that mentioned the "Pollo en Pipian". Oh, man I can just about taste it again - I'm definitely hitting it up next time I'm in town.
In my opinion Mi Nidito still holds up in the classic old school Sonoran sense. I'm very loyal to that place and I never miss it when I'm in town. I grew up eating at the old Casa Molina on the Rillito at Campbell. We ate there at least twice a month I bet, and we used to buy carne seca to go by the pint or quart with a bag of tortillas. The. Best. After it moved to Ft. Lowell and Campbell I never thought it was quite as good in the bigger space. My folks haven't gone in years. They go to Rosa's at Prince(?) and Campbell.

Karichimaka's! Haven't heard that name in decades. That was my ex-wife's family's place to eat Mexican. I didn't learn about it until we started dating in college. That's great.

Loved Caruso's too. Another old school place we used to eat when I was a kid. Haven't been there in forever either.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Carusos is the lame old place with mediocre stereotypical Italian food that only people over 50 go to when their relatives are in town.

Dozens of better places to eat in town.

BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

ASUHATER! wrote:Carusos is the lame old place with mediocre stereotypical Italian food that only people over 50 go to when their relatives are in town.

Yeah, understood. I'm quite literally talking about 38-40 years ago. Surprised it still exists frankly. It was a cool place in 1976.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Bring Gordo's back!
Dosia

Post by Dosia »

scumdevils86 wrote:lemme just say if you haven't had some brats or other form of tubular meat from the Sausage Shop on Prince...well your life is less than mine.
Grabbed some brats from there last weekend but I must say my guests and myself were let down. They were pretty bland. The Sausage Shop in El Paso has set the bar high I suppose.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Rosati's on 6th/Campbell closed for unpaid rent

http://www.tucsonweekly.com/TheRange/ar ... has-closed

Primo location, wont stay empty for long if they cant get it sorted out
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Too bad. They had decent pies (for Tucson).
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Been to five of these:

9 Iconic Restaurants From Tucson’s Past

https://tucsonfoodie.com/2015/09/17/9-i ... sons-past/
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

never been to any of those...but then again I had only ever been to Tucson 2-3 times for just a few hours before 2004.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

UAEebs86 wrote:Been to five of these:

I did like the steaks at Hidden Valley, and only $10.

Charles became an alcoholic and ended up homeless. Not sure whatever happened to him.

Always wanted to go to the Tack Room but was always a poor college student.

Pretty sure the Bum Steer is empty and recently sold:

Today the hulk of a building stands guard complete with all the crazy things still inside.
gumby

Post by gumby »

UAEebs86 wrote:Been to five of these:

Five, but only drinks at the Solarium.

Hot Bagel Bakery, on Speedway, Bum Steer, Gordo's and Good Earth (way ahead of its time).

Just too damn poor for the rest.
Right where I want to be.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

The Olive Tree was really good in the late 80s early 90s. I remember enjoying it very much a couple of times. Only ate at the Tack Room once for a special occasion when my grandparents came to town from back east. Went to the Solarium many times as a kid. King crab legs were the ticket. My parents' friends were part of the Solarium crowd and some of those other places mentioned on "restaurant row" out on Tanque Verde. It was a cool place. My brother bartended at the Solarium for some time and met his girlfriend there and they're still together. I like the box of matches.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chris Fowler went to El Charro last night.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

El charro is so mediocre. So many better restaurants in town. But I guess if you live in Connecticut and come to Tucson you'll insist on eating Mexican food first.

rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

ASUHATER! wrote:Carusos is the lame old place with mediocre stereotypical Italian food that only people over 50 go to when their relatives are in town.

That is my take on it too. I've been there about five times, only once of my own accord. Never had a bad meal, but at best I have found it to be average. Vivace kills that place, and I preferred Gavi to it as well, though I haven't eaten there in probably eight years.
ASUHATER! wrote:El charro is so mediocre. So many better restaurants in town. But I guess if you live in Connecticut and come to Tucson you'll insist on eating Mexican food first.
Yep, tourist trap living off their name.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

El charro is the same as macayos or on the border or chilis to me.

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Caruso's is living history in Tucson. It's its own thing. But I admit that while I cherish the memories and love the idea, I'd rarely pass up a better option.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

ASUHATER! wrote:El charro is the same as macayos or on the border or chilis to me.
Sacrilege! Ouch, but yeah I totally agree. I've always been a Mi Nidito guy myself.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

I know far more about these restaurants from reputation than any actual experience. That's the hell of living in Tucson now...all these classic restaurants with great owners that USED to be open, but you, in 2015, are stuck going to some chain.

You have to have the right occasion to eat at these places, and as a poor college student I usually never did.

Same with Caruso's. Still open, but wouldn't go because my folks used to go there a couple times when they were first married and living in Tucson. Dad got sick there in about '68 and said he'd never go back.

Closest I ever came to eating there was reading the menu one afternoon in '97 surveying the damage right after hoops won it all.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

When we were freshmen living in Arizona/Sonora, a bunch of us used to eat at Caruso's on Friday nights before hitting up the keg parties. It somehow felt like hitting the big time. I'd have a coffee with my pasta.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Went to Kneaders at Broad/Wilmot yesterday for lunch. Not bad but it was packed with people. Baked goods looked amazing. Theres a Raising Cane's Chicken Fingers opening next to it soon as well. Bunch of new chains opening up on that corner

Also went to Harvest in the old Sky Box at River/Craycroft a few days ago. Very good food and a nice remodel with roll up garage doors on the patio. Bunch of happy hour specials. Projector is gone but they still have 4 TVs in the bar

Braised Rib nachos:

ASUHATER! wrote:El charro is the same as macayos or on the border or chilis to me.
Easy turbo. Its not THAT bad
Last edited by Jefe on Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:57 am, edited 4 times in total.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

I'm with Jefe on this one. El Charro may have slipped some, but it ain't Macayos or on the Border.

Carne Seca!!
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

catgrad97 wrote:I know far more about these restaurants from reputation than any actual experience. That's the hell of living in Tucson now...all these classic restaurants with great owners that USED to be open, but you, in 2015, are stuck going to some chain.

You have to have the right occasion to eat at these places, and as a poor college student I usually never did.

Same with Caruso's. Still open, but wouldn't go because my folks used to go there a couple times when they were first married and living in Tucson. Dad got sick there in about '68 and said he'd never go back.

Closest I ever came to eating there was reading the menu one afternoon in '97 surveying the damage right after hoops won it all.
You're absolutely not stuck going to a chain in Tucson. There are so many good restaurants in town.

BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

wyo-cat wrote:I'm with Jefe on this one. El Charro may have slipped some, but it ain't Macayos or on the Border.

Carne Seca!!
Ain't no carne seca in Boise, Idaho. It's the first thing I eat when I get home.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

ASUHATER! wrote:
catgrad97 wrote:I know far more about these restaurants from reputation than any actual experience. That's the hell of living in Tucson now...all these classic restaurants with great owners that USED to be open, but you, in 2015, are stuck going to some chain.

You're absolutely not stuck going to a chain in Tucson. There are so many good restaurants in town.
Such as...?

Vivace? Gavi?

Some list for a middle-class budget, please and thank you.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

What part of town? What flavor?

North of campus, there's Guadalajara Grill on Prince, Rosas and El Saguarito on Ft Lowell.

Foothills - Finis Landing at Sunrise and Swan.

Near campus - the Bob is one of the best burger in town at Bob Dobbs next to Rincon Market.

There's so many good Indy restaurants here, it's crazy.
BibbysTowelDude

Post by BibbysTowelDude »

I miss Gordo's! lol. Best damn sopapillas and honey I ever had!
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

catgrad97 wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:

Such as...?

Vivace? Gavi?

Some list for a middle-class budget, please and thank you.
As a middle class family of 4 I can assure you there are plenty of reasonable non-chain options here in Tucson.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

All I can tell you is that after our experience Saturday at the game and afterwards, my middle class family of four drove two hours up to Phoenix to eat at our favorite indie Mexican place rather than go a mile to Casa Molina or La Parrilla Suiza.

Hey, I'm a married father, and if the Tucson experience is bad for my family, don't expect to see me back anytime soon. Will go into more detail in the UCLA discussion thread. Suffice to say a lot more went wrong down there than just the game.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Well that's your problem going to parilla suiza or Molina.

catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

:lol: Clearly you aren't married, HATER. Then it'll be your problem too.

But hey, I love how a terribly-handled game experience by stadium security and clueless Tucson drivers are suddenly "my problem."

I'm sure that's what those idiots think, too. Ignorance is indeed bliss.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

Need some help. Here is the situation. Looking for a restaurant that will be perfect for dinner for my mom and my fiancé's parents. This is the first time they will be meeting. My fiancé's parents live in Tucson during the winter but the rest of us will b traveling from the valley for the weekend of November 13-15. I plan on taking my mom to Guadalajara Grill Friday night before the basketball game. Need a recommendation for Saturday night. Thanks in advance.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Mexican or? Budget? Football game is Sat night so you may want to avoid places near campus with TVs

Cant go wrong with any of these:

Cafe Poca Cosa
Pasco Kitchen & Lounge(University, will be busy)
Blanco
Penca
Agustine Kitchen
Commoner & Co
Kingfisher
Caruso's
Harvest(River Rd)
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

El Minuto
Frankie's
Feast
Tasteful Kitchen
Cup Cafe (Hotel Congress)
Maynard's
Proper Meatery
Mosaic Cafe
Cushing Street Bar and Grill
Lerua's
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

Jefe wrote:Mexican or? Budget? Football game is Sat night so you may want to avoid places near campus with TVs

Cant go wrong with any of these:

Cafe Poca Cosa
Pasco Kitchen & Lounge(University, will be busy)
Blanco
Penca
Agustine Kitchen
Commoner & Co
Kingfisher
Caruso's
Harvest(River Rd)
Preferably non-Mexican. I know my fiancé's dad loves a place that has a good wine selection
UAdevil wrote:El Minuto
Frankie's
Feast
Tasteful Kitchen
Cup Cafe (Hotel Congress)
Maynard's
Proper Meatery
Mosaic Cafe
Cushing Street Bar and Grill
Lerua's
Have not been to any of these. Looks like I need to get to Tucson more often.
KingG

Post by KingG »

Frybry02 wrote:Need some help. Here is the situation. Looking for a restaurant that will be perfect for dinner for my mom and my fiancé's parents. This is the first time they will be meeting. My fiancé's parents live in Tucson during the winter but the rest of us will b traveling from the valley for the weekend of November 13-15. I plan on taking my mom to Guadalajara Grill Friday night before the basketball game. Need a recommendation for Saturday night. Thanks in advance.
I highly recommend Wild Garlic Grill on first ave just north of grant. They have very tasty food including steaks, seafood and some pasta dishes, generous portions and a good wine selection. The linguine bolegnase is to die for. Very reasonable prices too.
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

Longhorned wrote:Image

When we were freshmen living in Arizona/Sonora, a bunch of us used to eat at Caruso's on Friday nights before hitting up the keg parties. It somehow felt like hitting the big time. I'd have a coffee with my pasta.
Yeah, well I gotta say that Caruso's looks pretty tacky in those photos. But back in the day, they were great. The best lasagna I have ever had, to this day, was at Caruso's.

Australia, Melbourne specifically, has a LOT of Italians and a lot of great Italian food, from traditional to avant guarde, but none of them can touch Caruso's Lasagna. Not even close.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

I have never met anyone under the age of 30 that has ever been to carusos unless their parents of grandparents were in town.

wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

I went to Amalour last night. In St. Phillips plaza.

Had a couple glasses of Malbec and the meat and cheese picninc plate. Quite nice, spanish chorizo and Maytag Blue Cheese - two of my favorites.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

A couple people on Twitter are saying Dirtbags is closing.

I went there shortly after it opened in the 80s. Full of preppy assholes. I never fit in with the greeks so never went back. Just not my kind of bar. Rather be myself at Sundance, although no one would knife me at Dirtbags.

Hi, I'm Tad!