Dinner Tonight

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

scumdevils86

Re: Dinner Tonight

Post by scumdevils86 »

I usually only use the fresh ground stuff from sprouts but my gf just had jif laying around this week.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I like the idea of the natural peanut butter, but I buy the "all natural" creamy stuff with the added palm fruit oil (not bad oil) and a little sugar cane (not much), which isn't cheap. When I grind the peanuts myself, or when I have to stir that natural glop and get the oil all over everything and me, I notice that I just stop eating peanut butter.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Merkin wrote:Costco has Kirkland natural peanut butter quite cheap. Only ingredients are peanuts and sea salt.

When you buy a Skippy style peanut butter you also get added oils and sugar.
Check out Peanut Butter Co. Tough to find locally but Amazon sells it

http://ilovepeanutbutter.com/peanut-butter-1.html
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

I love peanut butter. Adams Natural preferably, but any will do. Sits on the counter with a spoon in it. I can go through a big jar in about a week. Love milk too.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Jefe wrote:
Merkin wrote:Costco has Kirkland natural peanut butter quite cheap. Only ingredients are peanuts and sea salt.

When you buy a Skippy style peanut butter you also get added oils and sugar.
Check out Peanut Butter Co. Tough to find locally but Amazon sells it

http://ilovepeanutbutter.com/peanut-butter-1.html
That's exactly my peanut butter - the plain kind (Smooth Operator). But it's also the "Skippy style" that Merkin disdains.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Haven't eaten yet, but it's prepped. Waiting to put the little down.

London Broil about an inch thick. Will be olive-oiled, salted and peppered just before going over some hot Kingsford on the Weber for about 7 minutes a side. Medium rare. After a good rest, it will be sliced thin on the bias.

Nice green salad, lots of bits and pieces. Generous blue cheese crumbles. See sliced steak above. Homemade vinaigrette that I do. Toss.

The pies de resistance that brings it all together. Two large onions sliced as thin as you're able into rings. Marinate in a ziploc bag in olive oil, red wine vinegar, salt, pepper. Refrigerate. Very simple. The longer the better, but at least a couple of hours. Serve cold over the steak with the salad.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

For onions, I do a much not-as-good-onion as yours. Just marinated in red wine vinegar for 30 minutes. Or marinated in orange juice para la comida yucateca.

Tonight I grilled troll-caught wild Alaskan coho salmon, made some bread, and a rockets salad. Then, I made a very small peanut butter and jelly sandwich for dessert. Just had to.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

You are wired different my friend. I mean that in a good way.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Longhorned wrote:Tonight I grilled troll-caught wild Alaskan coho salmon
Do you think you could taste the difference between a salmon that was troll-caught, farmed, netted, long-lined, swatted out of a stream by a bear, or gently enticed to leap into a hand-woven basket with crumbled brioche pieces?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Chicat wrote:
Do you think you could taste the difference between a salmon that was troll-caught, farmed, netted, long-lined, swatted out of a stream by a bear, or gently enticed to leap into a hand-woven basket with crumbled brioche pieces?
No, but I can slouch on a sofa for six straight episodes of Ren and Stimpy and never once stop slamming down dry fist-fulls of Cap'n Crunch.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Longhorned wrote:
Chicat wrote:
No, but I can slouch on a sofa for six straight episodes of Ren and Stimpy and never once stop slamming down dry fist-fulls of Cap'n Crunch.
You just described me in 1993
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

scumdevils86 wrote:
You just described me in 1993
I haven't done it since 1991, but I'm confident.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Chicat wrote:

Not sure about salmon since I don't eat a whole lot of but with shrimp/prawns you can definitely taste the difference between farm raised and and wild caught. Maybe not so much "green" shrimp farms, but the ones in China are pretty bad.

Last edited by Merkin on Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

The [/img] is on the next line.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Chicat wrote:The [/img] is on the next line.
Ah yes, fixed, TOS didn't have a problem with that.

Just a side note, would be nice if we can start using markup language so I can use the WIDTH command to get images to fit.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Merkin wrote:
Chicat wrote:

Not sure about salmon since I don't eat a whole lot of but with shrimp/prawns you can definitely taste the difference between farm raised and and wild caught. Maybe not so much "green" shrimp farms, but the ones in China are pretty bad.

The troll-caught really means ocean-caught, which means the salmon hasn't matured to the point you get when you catch them swimming upstream. Legally the fisherman can only catch a limited quantity and only by line. The demand for this limited catch is driven by the idea that the younger fish have a superior flavor. I honestly don't know because I'd have to try it side-by-side. The Atlantic salmon, which is always farmed, is just somewhere between bleh and blech.

As for farmed fish, it can be done sustainably, and you can get such high quality that it deservedly earns the often meaningless designation "sushi grade." There's a Norwegian fjord trout that's farm-raised and released to mature in the freezing cold fjord waters, where it gets all fatty, and ends up the most beautiful fatty red filets I've ever seen. Also a Canadian arctic char. Both are cheaper than wild Alaskan salmon, and in my opinion, better. The Norwegian fjord trout is the cheaper of the two, and it's my favorite. Underrated.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Sausage pizza

Rocket salad

Cherries
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Longhorned wrote:Sausage pizza

Friday night has been pizza night for the last 45 or so years, a tradition my mom started when I was a kid. My oldest son was going to make some home made pizza tonight, but his girlfriend called and wanted to go see The Big Lebowski at the beach.

So dad gets stuck with leftovers. Mom gets half a carne asada burrito I had at lunch.

Think I will look up a carne seca recipe right now. Might have to cheat and use the oven, no 100 degree days out here.
Sidewinder

Post by Sidewinder »

Went to Frontera Grill tonight and had a slow-cooked brisket in black mole, with mashed potatoes and greens of some sort. Delicious
"Yeah, well, I always heard there were three kinds of suns in kansas: sunshine, sunflowers, and sons-of-bitches"
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Merkin wrote:

Friday night has been pizza night for the last 45 or so years, a tradition my mom started when I was a kid. My oldest son was going to make some home made pizza tonight, but his girlfriend called and wanted to go see The Big Lebowski at the beach.

So dad gets stuck with leftovers. Mom gets half a carne asada burrito I had at lunch.

Think I will look up a carne seca recipe right now. Might have to cheat and use the oven, no 100 degree days out here.
But wouldn't that mean a 45-year tradition gets broken by your stinking carne seca? Oughten you be ashamed?
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Merkin wrote:

Merk - this Carne Seca recipe is from the Purple Sage Cookbook - Junior League of Tucson 1986. I've done it many times over the years. It's a pain in the ass, but it turns out pretty damn good.

Bake beef on a rimmed baking sheet at 250 degrees for about 6 hours. Turn occasionally. As juices accumulate, pour off and save. Beef must dry out slowly and completely. When beef is dried, shred in food processor or blender. Set aside. Melt lard in large skillet. Add onion and cook until soft. Add garlic and shredded meat. Stir in green chilies. Drain tomatoes, reserving liquid. Add tomatoes to skillet. Add reserved juices from beef. Season with salt, oregano and cumin. Set simmer about 30 minutes, adding the juice from the tomatoes as the liquid is absorbed.

1 2-pound round steak
4 tbs lard
2 large onions chopped
3 cloves garlic crushed
1 7-ounce can diced green chiles
1 16-ounce can chopped tomatoes
1 tbs salt
2 tsp oregano
2 tsp cumin

Obviously you can riff on that however you like, but basically it's done the trick up here in Idaho where I'm a long long way from the real stuff in Tucson. The flavor profile and texture have always struck me as just about right.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Some friends and I are getting together this afternoon/evening to watch some Robin Williams flicks. Hook is on the menu, so, also, now is my Bangerang Cake!!!
Attachments
Hells yeah!!!
Hells yeah!!!
image.jpg (1.72 MiB) Viewed 1799 times
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Longhorned wrote:
Merkin wrote:

But wouldn't that mean a 45-year tradition gets broken by your stinking carne seca? Oughten you be ashamed?
I could never have a pizza the rest of my life and be OK with it. Kids expected it though, but now they are growing up and moving out (WOOHOO!!!).

BearDown89 wrote:
Merkin wrote:

Merk - this Carne Seca recipe is from the Purple Sage Cookbook - Junior League of Tucson 1986. I've done it many times over the years. It's a pain in the ass, but it turns out pretty damn good.

Bake beef on a rimmed baking sheet at 250 degrees for about 6 hours. Turn occasionally. As juices accumulate, pour off and save. Beef must dry out slowly and completely. When beef is dried, shred in food processor or blender. Set aside. Melt lard in large skillet. Add onion and cook until soft. Add garlic and shredded meat. Stir in green chilies. Drain tomatoes, reserving liquid. Add tomatoes to skillet. Add reserved juices from beef. Season with salt, oregano and cumin. Set simmer about 30 minutes, adding the juice from the tomatoes as the liquid is absorbed.

1 2-pound round steak
4 tbs lard
2 large onions chopped
3 cloves garlic crushed
1 tbs salt
2 tsp oregano
2 tsp cumin

Obviously you can riff on that however you like, but basically it's done the trick up here in Idaho where I'm a long long way from the real stuff in Tucson. The flavor profile and texture have always struck me as just about right.

REP!!! Going to save this. I think I have a London Broil in the freezer, that will work you think?
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Merkin wrote:Think I will look up a carne seca recipe right now. Might have to cheat and use the oven, no 100 degree days out here.
BearDown89 wrote:
Merkin wrote:

1 2-pound round steak
4 tbs lard
2 large onions chopped
3 cloves garlic crushed
1 tbs salt
2 tsp oregano
2 tsp cumin

REP!!! Going to save this. I think I have a London Broil in the freezer, that will work you think?[/quote]

I don't see why not. I'm not even sure what a round steak is. London broil is my go to grilling steak. I think it needs to be something with some thickness (and maybe even a little fat) in order to render off enough juices to reserve from the pan. You can buy thin-sliced carne asada meat anywhere these days, but I don't think it would render off much liquid and dry out too fast. Reserving those juices to add in later is the key to the recipe I think - flavor . . . I would consider doubling the recipe or more so that you have plenty. Remember, that piece of meat is going to shrink way down in size when you dry it out. I've always done at least two pieces of meat. Plus, leftovers. It's one of those things that tastes better after it's melded in the fridge over night.

Definitely requires babysitting during the drying out period to collect those juices. Like I said, it's always turned out to be a pretty good representation of the real deal. Simple seasonings. Enjoy! Let us know how it turns out!
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Broiled buttery Arctic Char with lemon

Lemon cucumbers(?)

Bread

Rockets
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Filet Mignon
Lobster Mashed Potatoes
Sautéed Green Beans and Mushrooms
Bread Pudding
Pimm's Cup
Oban 14 year
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

5 Heineken and a space cake.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Those are some dinners the last couple of days. UA Devil, sometimes that's just what the soul orders. Carne seca forever.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I'm still waiting for my dinner invite from some of you...
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Is it okay for a grown man to enjoy chocolate milk?
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Longhorned wrote:Is it okay for a grown man to enjoy chocolate milk?
I don't know what society says, but I enjoy chocolate milk, so I'm going to say yes.

Although I don't particularly like hershey's syrup, I do like Nesquik's version (not the powder, the syrup)

Although a chocolate milk made with real chocolate is always best, who can beat the convenience of syrup.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I've always been partial to the kind you make with the powder. And I like the uneven effect of how it doesn't dissolve fully. I made some tonight with Scharffenberger cocoa, thinking it would lack the authentic comfort of Nesquick. Boy was I wrong. It was like it was made by Ben and Jerry's as opposed to Borden's or Lucerne or something.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

I drink a lot of milk for a grownup. I like both chocolate and white milk. I even went in for the strawberry Quick as a kid. I support dairy diversity.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Longhorned wrote:I've always been partial to the kind you make with the powder. And I like the uneven effect of how it doesn't dissolve fully. I made some tonight with Scharffenberger cocoa, thinking it would lack the authentic comfort of Nesquick. Boy was I wrong. It was like it was made by Ben and Jerry's as opposed to Borden's or Lucerne or something.
I've found the nesquik powder to lack a rich enough flavor for my taste preferences.

Regarding the cocoa you used, did you also through some sugar in with it?
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
Longhorned wrote:I've always been partial to the kind you make with the powder. And I like the uneven effect of how it doesn't dissolve fully. I made some tonight with Scharffenberger cocoa, thinking it would lack the authentic comfort of Nesquick. Boy was I wrong. It was like it was made by Ben and Jerry's as opposed to Borden's or Lucerne or something.
I've found the nesquik powder to lack a rich enough flavor for my taste preferences.

Regarding the cocoa you used, did you also through some sugar in with it?
Yeah, I followed the instructions on the can: 3 tablespoons cocoa, 1 tablespoon sugar, 3 tablespoons water to stir into a paste. Then 8 oz. milk. Hot chocolate is the same, except with heated milk. That's what the wife got. We both claimed our own was better, and this morning I awoke with ambitions to make an egg cream. No way around it on that one: syrup only, and only Fox's U-Bet kosher syrup.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Longhorned wrote: Yeah, I followed the instructions on the can: 3 tablespoons cocoa, 1 tablespoon sugar, 3 tablespoons water to stir into a paste.
Table sugar or powdered sugar? One of the better powdered-cocoa-based chocolate milks that I've ever had used a dutch cocoa, powdered sugar, and a dash of heavy cream.

PieceOfMeat wrote:through
Hrm...I used the wrong word there...I'm so disappointed in myself I think I'll go make myself a glass of chocolate milk to soothe myself.

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Table sugar. I like it when the granules don't fully dissolve.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Jamaican brown sugar:

I had a friend whose girlfriend is a professional baker and swears by it. She goes to Compton to buy it.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Machaca

3 pounds chuck roast, cut into 1x1x2-inch-thick cubes

Marinade
1/2 cup worchestshire
1/4 cup beef stock
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup veg/canola oil
2 tbsp lime juice
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp cilantro
1 tbsp fresh crack black pepper
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp salt
Splash of tequila

Marinade refrigerated over night.

Remove from marinade and sear cubes on high on both sides until nicely browned

Machaca
3 pounds marinated beef cubed/seared
3/4-1 cup Beef Stock/Broth
1 large can of diced green Chilis
Diced tomato to preference
Sliced fresh chili pepper to preference (I used 2 large Pablano)
1 large onion sliced in 1x1/2 inch strips
4 cloves garlic/minced or 2 tsp garlic powder
2 tbsp spice sauce/hot sauce
2 tbsp cilantro
1 tbsp fresh cracked pepper
1 tsp salt

Mix all in slow cooker, cover, cook on high for 4 hours.

Remove cubes as needed, shred with forks, add broth with peppers, onions

I made tacos.

Those who love jalepenos can use them. I prefer green chili/Pablano.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.93 MiB) Viewed 1696 times
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Cheeseburger, fries, and beers in a bar
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Raviolis.
77HoyaCat4Ever

Post by 77HoyaCat4Ever »

Meatloaf (blend of pork, veal and beef); mashed potatoes and gravy, zucchini.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

77HoyaCat4Ever wrote:Meatloaf (blend of pork, veal and beef); mashed potatoes and gravy, zucchini.
That's a great meal. A good meat loaf is so underrated.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

I've never had a meatloaf I enjoyed. Of course I've only had it a handful of times, as I tend to stay away from it due to my previous experiences.

We had home-made spaghetti and home-made garlic bread tonight and some veggies. Nothing fancy, but it was delicious.

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Speaking of meat loaf, I love meat loaf.

And speaking of spaghetti, I love spaghetti with meat loaf. Way better than spaghetti with meatballs. I make a spaghetti with tomato sauce, and serve each bowl of that with a thick slice of meatloaf on top with more sauce spooned over the meatloaf.

Of course, the next day the meatloaf sandwiches ensue.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I love meatloaf sandwiches
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

I LOVE a good meatloaf. Unfortunately most don't quite reach the 'good' level for me.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Okra pan-cooked in onion, garlic, tomatoes, and olive oil

Soft boiled eggs

Buttered oast

Cherries
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Simple. Had broiled petite sirloin steaks (buy one get two free at Albertsons), steamed green beans and a baked potato.

Tomorrow I'll make vegetarian chickpea/spinach/apricot/tomato stew over rice to balance out two days of heavy beef intake
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

scumdevils86 wrote:Simple. Had broiled petite sirloin steaks (buy one get two free at Albertsons), steamed green beans and a baked potato.

Tomorrow I'll make vegetarian chickpea/spinach/apricot/tomato stew over rice to balance out two days of heavy beef intake
Don't you do it for the environment. Do it ... for yourself!