Why I Own The World

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Frybry02

Re: Why I Own The World

Post by Frybry02 »

ASUCatFan wrote:No new revenue stream, which means he'll be pulling it from other parts of the education budget. Education funding has been slashed to the bone, and without raising taxes, you're not going to fix it.
I am very skeptical. The math doesn't currently add up. I have a feeling in my gut this is an election ploy.
cpt

Post by cpt »

So far, the math does add up. If what is passed is what he has promised, he deserves a pat on the back. And I pretty much hate the guy.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I was offered the job I interviewed for today within an hour of the interview. Said I blew them away!

23% raise and a sizable increase in the bonus structure. Also 5 more days of PTO a year. Buuut about three times as much work and responsibilities. I'm now salaried instead of hourly...
Last edited by scumdevils86 on Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Sd86 gets a big raise and I get my gallbladder removed, it's a good week!
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

ASUHATER! wrote:Sd86 gets a big raise and I get my gallbladder removed, it's a good week!
Maybe he'll buy you a new one.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

scumdevils86 wrote:I was offered the job I interviewed for today within an hour of the interview. Said I blew them away!

23% raise and a sizable increase in the bonus structure. Also 5 more days of PTO a year. Buuut about three rimes as much work and responsibilities. I'm now salaried instead of hourly...
As my favorite law professor, the venerable Carlton J. Snow, used to say, "Well done Mr. SD86. Well done."

Congrats dude. Good for you.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

My oldest son (William) started work with me today.

#proudpapa
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azgreg wrote:My oldest son (William) started work with me today.

#proudpapa
Showing him the rules of the Pimp Game?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat wrote:

#proudpapa
I don't know if you remember but he's the one who was diagnosed with Asperger's. Some of the places he's tried to work were to chaotic for him. A position opened up here for temp work where he can work on his own in a quiet environment. I've been told that if it works out well maybe a permanent position can be found for him.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azgreg wrote:
Chicat wrote:

#proudpapa
I don't know if you remember but he's the one who was diagnosed with Asperger's. Some of the places he's tried to work were to chaotic for him. A position opened up here for temp work where he can work on his own in a quiet environment. I've been told that if it works out well maybe a permanent position can be found for him.
Well, that is incredibly awesome ........... aaaannnnnndddddd ....... I feel like a real dick.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

I can't believe it! My daughter is getting married today! Feels like she was just starting school a few years ago. Those of you with kids, cherish every moment you have with them. They are so precious
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

84Cat wrote:I can't believe it! My daughter is getting married today! Feels like she was just starting school a few years ago. Those of you with kids, cherish every moment you have with them. They are so precious
Congrats! I imagine you must feel like you blinked and all of a sudden she’s an adult.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

84Cat wrote:I can't believe it! My daughter is getting married today! Feels like she was just starting school a few years ago. Those of you with kids, cherish every moment you have with them. They are so precious
Nice man! Have a great day.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Won my golf tournament today.

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Nice job Happy Gilmore! The giant novelty check is a nice touch...
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I play in the Mediocre Golf Association.

http://www.mgatour.com/" target="_blank

Pretty fun group.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

azgreg wrote:I play in the Mediocre Golf Association.

Pretty fun group.
That's actually pretty cool! Never heard of them before now. What a clever idea
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

azgreg wrote:I play in the Mediocre Golf Association.

Pretty fun group.

This is seriously awesome. Thanks for sharing Greg. I got a big kick out of that website. Great tournament rules too.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Three years ago I had no idea what I was doing. I had spent almost a decade doing everything right. I’d worked hard. Worked for shit pay. Worked overtime. Worked for free, even. I went above and beyond. I didn’t have to do any of this for my job, but I always wanted to help
And grow and dig in and take root.

Then the search tailored specifically for me failed because of budget cuts and I was up shit creek.

I had grown tired of the game one must play to maintain traction in academics. But I loved teaching.

So, funny story:

I bet on myself in two ways.

1. I adjunct’d. A lot. One student ended up meaning a great deal to where I am now, though I had no idea at the time.

2. I marketed me. I offered answers and actual communication, not sales and pressure. One local chamber member took notice, and found me the perfect opportunity.

So, the student was a 19 year old with communication anxiety, but had a presence, and when she got a rare media opportunity without a degree, I worked with her on the industry, and her public speaking. I watched her newscasts and offered pointed critique. She listened. She turned a 6-week temp gig into a full time gig without a degree and now is the voice and face of multiple Hispanic mediums. She also turned out to be the media contact for my current boss. Two years after I helped her just because, she dropped a good word for me.

So, the chamber member was greatly beloved and a legacy type in the area as his mom did great work with a hospice and other non-profits. He had built a highly profitable and successful consulting firm. He saw my hard work, new I was doing it with a strategy, reached out to the local Chamber President, and got word of my current job. He both found and vouched for me with the Chamber President and my current Boss, who was very respected by the Chamber President.

So, never stop being yourself. You will win.

My current role is equal parts community education, outreach, activism, and consulting. It is great for someone like me as I’m always meeting new people, but I’m also digging very deep relationships with existing contacts.

One contact told me of a property on the market. It was a fixer upper, but had a motivated seller willing to pay for some repairs. It was a bit rundown, but is in a great area, one street removed from the house backing onto the Country Club Golf Course, and the House with repairs done by my preferred vendors (and contacts), would be available for roughly 30% under market value.

So, after some lengthy inspections, negotiations, and repairs, and three years after I had no fucking idea what I would be doing, I now work in two states, with 4 modes of income, growing markets, even untouched markets for what I’m doing, and am doing so with full support of my local chambers and with forged media connections in a place where who you know still matters.

Yes, I’m still in Yuma, but my school loves me, my community appreciates me, and my new house has a brand new renovated pool. I’m a quick drive from Mountains, from Beaches, and from cooler temps.

Best yet, it’s not just my community who likes me. I’m succeeded in every area my company throws at me, including, no surprise, mentoring new hires.

So, three years after who the fuck knows;

1. New Job with huge upside
2. New Car
3. New House

It hasn’t been easy and won’t really ever be, but this is actually fun.
Lando05

Post by Lando05 »

JMarkJohns wrote:Three years ago I had no idea what I was doing. I had spent almost a decade doing everything right. I’d worked hard. Worked for shit pay. Worked overtime. Worked for free, even. I went above and beyond. I didn’t have to do any of this for my job, but I always wanted to help
And grow and dig in and take root.

Then the search tailored specifically for me failed because of budget cuts and I was up shit creek.

I had grown tired of the game one must play to maintain traction in academics. But I loved teaching.

So, funny story:

I bet on myself in two ways.

1. I adjunct’d. A lot. One student ended up meaning a great deal to where I am now, though I had no idea at the time.

2. I marketed me. I offered answers and actual communication, not sales and pressure. One local chamber member took notice, and found me the perfect opportunity.

So, the student was a 19 year old with communication anxiety, but had a presence, and when she got a rare media opportunity without a degree, I worked with her on the industry, and her public speaking. I watched her newscasts and offered pointed critique. She listened. She turned a 6-week temp gig into a full time gig without a degree and now is the voice and face of multiple Hispanic mediums. She also turned out to be the media contact for my current boss. Two years after I helped her just because, she dropped a good word for me.

So, the chamber member was greatly beloved and a legacy type in the area as his mom did great work with a hospice and other non-profits. He had built a highly profitable and successful consulting firm. He saw my hard work, new I was doing it with a strategy, reached out to the local Chamber President, and got word of my current job. He both found and vouched for me with the Chamber President and my current Boss, who was very respected by the Chamber President.

So, never stop being yourself. You will win.

My current role is equal parts community education, outreach, activism, and consulting. It is great for someone like me as I’m always meeting new people, but I’m also digging very deep relationships with existing contacts.

One contact told me of a property on the market. It was a fixer upper, but had a motivated seller willing to pay for some repairs. It was a bit rundown, but is in a great area, one street removed from the house backing onto the Country Club Golf Course, and the House with repairs done by my preferred vendors (and contacts), would be available for roughly 30% under market value.

So, after some lengthy inspections, negotiations, and repairs, and three years after I had no fucking idea what I would be doing, I now work in two states, with 4 modes of income, growing markets, even untouched markets for what I’m doing, and am doing so with full support of my local chambers and with forged media connections in a place where who you know still matters.

Yes, I’m still in Yuma, but my school loves me, my community appreciates me, and my new house has a brand new renovated pool. I’m a quick drive from Mountains, from Beaches, and from cooler temps.

Best yet, it’s not just my community who likes me. I’m succeeded in every area my company throws at me, including, no surprise, mentoring new hires.

So, three years after who the fuck knows;

1. New Job with huge upside
2. New Car
3. New House

It hasn’t been easy and won’t really ever be, but this is actually fun.
Congratulations JMark!!!
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

That's superb JMJ!

How your world has changed since you were a guitar playing sports writer in Yuma while at TOS!
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Merkin wrote:That's superb JMJ!

How your world has changed since you were a guitar playing sports writer in Yuma while at TOS!
I still play guitar a bit here and there.

Never truly mastered it, but I can pick one up and impress majority of folks, even if it’s from catching them by surprise.

I’m the singularly requested Speech prof for our Military and ESL. Actually just spoke to the college president about 10 days ago and he let me know they have some plans for expansion in both areas which should shore up my adjunct courses. Both Military and ESL Deans have become allies, as has the Science, Technical, & Career Dean.

Doubt I ever go back to full time Academic, but it’s a cool feeling to be wanted while also not wanting something.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Just accepted a tentative Job Offer for a position in San Diego.

This is a position I've been trying to get for three years and after twice interviewing and previously not making the cut each of the past two years, third time's a charm.

I'm elated to be going back to the Southwest - to the sun, cities, and family I've missed - and to leave six years of long East Coast winters behind me.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Congrats Catsby! Showing the power of perseverance and what it means to Bear Down.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

San Diego is fantastic as you well know. Best weather in the world. It's a huge destination for young people now. My youngest son lives there (although moved to La Mesa from SD) and my daughter lived there (Coronado) and is trying to get back.

Too expensive and too crowded for me though. The lines at the SD Costco for gas are unreal.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Nice job Catsby!
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

I am envious, Catsby and JMJ. Tremendous work!

BTW, Merkin is right, the San Diego Costco near Qualcomm Way has insane gas lines. The one up off Kearney Mesa is probably the least ridiculous, though the hardest to get to.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

I was just named to the OC 500 by the Orange County Business Journal. Basically a list of the movers and shakers I guess in Orange county. Candidly think I am the youngest person going to be in it or very close to it. For a born and raised Orange County kid, pretty cool for me to get that.
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Well done Newport!

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Nice job Newport!

Last edited by azgreg on Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Niiiiiiiiiiiice Newport. Real nice.

Congrats!
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

Merkin wrote:San Diego is fantastic as you well know. Best weather in the world. It's a huge destination for young people now. My youngest son lives there (although moved to La Mesa from SD) and my daughter lived there (Coronado) and is trying to get back.

Too expensive and too crowded for me though. The lines at the SD Costco for gas are unreal.
I have lived in San Diego for 45 years. For a long time it was a paradise, but it has become as you state above. (and ...I avoid lines no matter how cheap the gas is. Sorry Costco).
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Congrats Newport!
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Thanks everyone

Never really saw this thread. Since coming back to these boards been exploring more and must admit feels like there is a whole world here I never knew existed
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Newport! That’s awesome dude! Congrats!
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Representatives with SpaceX came in Saturday and met with our CEO and GM and let us know that we have "Demonstrated the ability to manufacture complicated parts" and they gave us an "A" rating. As a result of that they are going to start giving us orders for parts that are part of the propulsion systems. Pretty cool.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Thumbs up Greg, that’s awesome!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Well that’s pretty fucking cool.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

You can say you helped put people on Mars one day

84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

That is awesome Greg! I love SpaceX!
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

Passed my dissertation defense. Officially a Dr. (PhD).
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

DrWildcat wrote:Passed my dissertation defense. Officially a Dr. (PhD).
Well done man!
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Congrats!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Please tell me you’ve already re-enacted the “Doctor ... Doctor” scene from Spies Like Us.

Congrats!
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Congrats dude! What's your field of study?
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

Thanks everyone! It's in Atmospheric Science.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

DrWildcat wrote:Thanks everyone! It's in Atmospheric Science.
Soooooooo you’re gonna save the world, right? Thanks in advance.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

DrWildcat wrote:Thanks everyone! It's in Atmospheric Science.
So is climate change a jinx created by the Chinese?

Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

azgreg wrote:
Well done man!
I think you mean well done Dr... show him some respect!

Congrats Dr!
Lando05

Post by Lando05 »

Put together my first mens recreational basketball city team in over 5 years. We just went undefeated and won the postseason tournament. One of the most fun teams I've had the pleasure to play on.