Anyone buy a car thru Costco?

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Irish27

Anyone buy a car thru Costco?

Post by Irish27 »

I was wondering if anyone has or knows someone who bought a new car thru Costco? I have heard you can save a thousand or two going thru Costco.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Salty

Re: Anyone buy a car thru Costco?

Post by Salty »

A friend of mine bought one using the Costco service.

I think you can save more by haggling. My friend got a car from them for below the sticker price but still above the KBB fair purchase price.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

The best way to buy a car these days is just to specify what make, model, and year you want, and the price you're willing to pay. Take that info. and just twitter it with #sellmethiscar[city you're in]. Dealers who are ready to sell you at that price will contact you immediately.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Longhorned wrote:The best way to buy a car these days is just to specify what make, model, and year you want, and the price you're willing to pay. Take that info. and just twitter it with #sellmethiscar[city you're in]. Dealers who are ready to sell you at that price will contact you immediately.
Do you tell them you plan on paying it all, no financing and you have a trade-in?
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Irish27 wrote:
Longhorned wrote:The best way to buy a car these days is just to specify what make, model, and year you want, and the price you're willing to pay. Take that info. and just twitter it with #sellmethiscar[city you're in]. Dealers who are ready to sell you at that price will contact you immediately.
Do you tell them you plan on paying it all, no financing and you have a trade-in?
That I don't know and I don't know who to ask. My guess is that, in this case, yes, even though in the traditional negotiation, they're hoping that we'll finance, and that we'll have a trade-in. And so it's best to pull the rug out from under them at the end about not financing.
cpt

Post by cpt »

I did - a couple of cars ago. I got a better deal by doing my research and using one of the online shopping aids.
cpt

Post by cpt »

I'm sure you know this but I'm a big believer in being your own contractor - first get your financing, then negotiate the price of the car, then negotiate the price of the trade-in...if they have some smoking financing deal then you can always go with it. Never fall for the "what kind of payment can you handle?"
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I once purchased a tub of hummus from Costco that was as big as a car
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

cpt wrote:I'm sure you know this but I'm a big believer in being your own contractor - first get your financing, then negotiate the price of the car, then negotiate the price of the trade-in...if they have some smoking financing deal then you can always go with it. Never fall for the "what kind of payment can you handle?"

One of my sons just bought a late model used car yesterday. Saturday the dealer offered him 6.9%, and the salesman said they can possibly work it down to 4.9%. He said "fuck that", went home, went to Chase.com and was offered 2.9%.

My daughter did something similar, she was preapproved from her credit union, and they wrote her a check to be given to a dealer, so it's good as cash to them.

I have never known anyone to get a great financing offer from the dealer, and yet still get a great deal on a car.

But cash is always best if you have it to get the best deal.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Merkin wrote:
cpt wrote:I'm sure you know this but I'm a big believer in being your own contractor - first get your financing, then negotiate the price of the car, then negotiate the price of the trade-in...if they have some smoking financing deal then you can always go with it. Never fall for the "what kind of payment can you handle?"

One of my sons just bought a late model used car yesterday. Saturday the dealer offered him 6.9%, and the salesman said they can possibly work it down to 4.9%. He said "fuck that", went home, went to Chase.com and was offered 2.9%.

My daughter did something similar, she was preapproved from her credit union, and they wrote her a check to be given to a dealer, so it's good as cash to them.

I have never known anyone to get a great financing offer from the dealer, and yet still get a great deal on a car.

obviously i'm biased working for a credit union but this is definitely the better way to go. and our rates usually crush the banks' rates every time.
Salty

Post by Salty »

scumdevils86 wrote:
Merkin wrote:

obviously i'm biased working for a credit union but this is definitely the better way to go. and our rates usually crush the banks' rates every time.
Without a doubt.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

I bought a 2 year old vehicle from Click Chrysler Jeep a few years ago and they ran the financing through my CU. Got a good deal and great rate. I got a call from the F & I guy on the following Monday saying that my CU was knocking an additional .5 off the already great rate. I was happy.