Re: Dinner Tonight

Post by Longhorned »

When you're on 10, and you need a little more, turn it up to 11:

http://www.ranchogordo.com/collections/heirloom-beans" target="_blank

http://www.ansonmills.com/products" target="_blank
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

The wife made an authentic carbonara tonight.

I remain in heaven an hour later.......
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Chicat wrote:The wife made an authentic carbonara tonight.

I remain in heaven an hour later.......
Nothing better. My wife is still restricted from runny eggs, so haven't had it in a while.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I made yellow coconut chicken curry yesterday and split pea with leftover easter ham soup today.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Just spaghetti tonight.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Yellow-eye beans

Cornbread

Collard greens
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

A peanut butter sandwich made with jam...
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

CalStateTempe wrote:A peanut butter sandwich made with jam...
Andy Warhol approves.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Andy Warhol wrote:I'll buy a huge piece of meat, cook it up for dinner, and then right before it's done I'll break down and have what I wanted for dinner in the first place—bread and jam. I'm only kidding myself when I go through the motions of cooking protein: all I ever really want is sugar. The rest is strictly for appearances, i.e., you can't take a princess to dinner and order a cookie for starters, no matter how much you crave one. People expect you to eat protein and you do so they won't talk. (If you decided to be stubborn and ordered the cookie, you'd wind up having to talk about why you want it and your philosophy of eating a cookie for dinner. And that would be too much trouble, so you order lamb and forget about what you really want.)
I can relate to this.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

As my father was known to say, "Life's short. Eat dessert first."
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

On the way in this morning I was just reading about the Andes rugby team crash from 1972. A new book has just been released by a now MD who was a medical student then.

Saying, that, I do love meat.

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Okay, you guys have got to order food from Anson Mills. This stuff is off the charts. Fuck the 20th century and everything it did to destroy food. Get with the times and go back to the 19th century.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Looks fantastic. $8/lb for rice is pretty steep though...
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

For anybody here old enough to remember growing up in America in the 1980s or earlier, what do you remember about "spaghetti" as a dinner that your mother or your friend's mom made? What did it entail? I remember every kid agreeing that spaghetti was his "favorite dish" but I'm having trouble remembering what it involved, other than the fact that the whole concept started to change around the late 1980s. I think it was about the same from, say, 1960 - 1985ish.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I don't remember anything different from spaghetti as a kid to spaghetti now. It's still one of my favorite dishes.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

had zucchini spaghetti with home made sauce and meatballs last week. pretty good. i don't even really miss the pasta (when it is just store brand dried pasta that is)
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

azgreg wrote:I don't remember anything different from spaghetti as a kid to spaghetti now. It's still one of my favorite dishes.
Then maybe you're a living bearer of an otherwise pretty much lost tradition. And it really is mostly lost, which is a total shame, and with no good reason, because I'm pretty certain it was universally loved.

So what does spaghetti entail for you now? If you start telling me about imported ingredients and a sauce made from scratch, then your experience of the 70s wasn't my experience of the 70s.

My best guess would be to come home from the supermarket with:

And some of this:

... to sprinkle on this (if it exists anymore):

... which is melted onto something like this:

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Longhorned wrote:
azgreg wrote:I don't remember anything different from spaghetti as a kid to spaghetti now. It's still one of my favorite dishes.
Then maybe you're a living bearer of an otherwise pretty much lost tradition. And it really is mostly lost, which is a total shame, and with no good reason, because I'm pretty certain it was universally loved.

So what does spaghetti entail for you now? If you start telling me about imported ingredients and a sauce made from scratch, then your experience of the 70s wasn't my experience of the 70s.
More often than not it's:

With:

And:

Once in a while though we get a wild hair up our ass and make the sauce from scratch.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Thanks. Going back to the 70s, I think Ragu, which started out with a cartoonish picture of gondola in a Venetian canal, was for fancy people. The kind of people who got their sauce out of jars instead of cans. The ground turkey is definitely post-70s. I'm going to date your spaghetti to the early 1980s. And I'm going to try it. I think what I said earlier about 1960-1985 continuity is wrong.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I couldn't tell you what products my mom used, but I'm pretty sure it's whatever he could get at the Davis Monthan Commissary.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Normally I fry up some green peppers and onions, then add hamburger and Prego. Trying healthier pasta, but really don't care for the whole wheat, although the sauce does hide the flavor.

scumdevils86 wrote:had zucchini spaghetti with home made sauce and meatballs last week. pretty good. i don't even really miss the pasta (when it is just store brand dried pasta that is)

My daughter was living with us for a while when her hubby was off in training. She made this for us, turned out pretty good.

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Merkin has a magical way of frying up green peppers and onions without including the mushrooms.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

My mom made her spaghetti sauce from scratch every time when I was a kid. Whole canned tomatoes, ground beef and bay leaves are what I remember - don't know what she seasoned it with otherwise. It was meaty. Cooked in her large oval enamel Le Creuset pot - kind of an orangey maroon, very 70s. Pasta was Ronzoni - always spaghetti, never any other shape or thickness. Kraft grated parm. Garlic bread using a French baguette. Dad would slice it almost all the way through and butter in between each slice with his mixture of butter, garlic powder/salt and parsley. Then wrapped in foil and heated in the oven until nuclear and untouchable. Definitely one of my favorites.
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Marinara from scratch (for a big crowd):

3 - #10 Cans Crushed Concentrated Tomatoes (with no added spices)
1 1/2 - #10 Cans of Water
4 finely chopped medium yellow onions (about 4#)
1/2 - Cup Olive Oil

1 - 2 oz. scoop Oregano
1 - 2 oz. scoop Sweet Basil
1 - 2 oz. scoop Marjoram
1 - 2 oz. scoop Parsley Flakes
1/2 - 2 oz. scoop salt
1/4 - 2 oz. scoop Black Pepper
1/4 - 2 oz scoop Sugar In the Raw
2 pinches Granulated Garlic

Sauté onions in Olive Oil, add mixed spices, tomatoes, and water. Stir until thoroughly mixed. Simmer slowly, over low heat, stirring every 10 minutes, for 2 hours until a well blended taste develops. When cooking properly the surface of the sauce should just barely be bubbling. DO NOT SCORCH!

Makes about 5 gallons.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

BearDown89 wrote:My mom made her spaghetti sauce from scratch every time when I was a kid. Whole canned tomatoes, ground beef and bay leaves are what I remember - don't know what she seasoned it with otherwise. It was meaty. Cooked in her large oval enamel Le Creuset pot - kind of an orangey maroon, very 70s. Pasta was Ronzoni - always spaghetti, never any other shape or thickness. Kraft grated parm. Garlic bread using a French baguette. Dad would slice it almost all the way through and butter in between each slice with his mixture of butter, garlic powder/salt and parsley. Then wrapped in foil and heated in the oven until nuclear and untouchable. Definitely one of my favorites.
Yes, I can feel it! I mean, except for the homemade sauce part, and I'm surprised by bay leaf. But yes, always spaghetti. It was the ingredient, not a shape within a larger category called "pasta." There was "macaroni" (elbow-shaped) and "spaghetti." In the late 80's some people started saying "pasta" and there was no bearing their haughty looks.

Finally, can you remember if your mom made it in the Italianized sugo preparation where the cook integrates it all? Or did she present it in the old, authentic, genuinely American tradition of ladling the sauce over a bed of spaghetti like:

?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

only recently did i start serving pasta with the sauce not just ladled over the top.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

KaibabKat wrote:Marinara from scratch (for a big crowd):

1/2 - Cup Olive Oil

1 - 2 oz. scoop Oregano
1 - 2 oz. scoop Marjoram
1/2 - 2 oz. scoop salt

Sauté onions in Olive Oil, add mixed spices, tomatoes, and water. Stir until thoroughly mixed. Simmer slowly, over low heat, stirring every 10 minutes, for 2 hours until a well blended taste develops. When cooking properly the surface of the sauce should just barely be bubbling. DO NOT SCORCH!

Makes about 5 gallons.
The sheer volume of the product and its bounty of herbs evokes a real New Jersey, man-made pasta for a back room of lunchtime mafiosi, like when you see them make it in the Godfather, or when Ray Liotta's character in Goodfellas is cooking it all day in that gigantic stock pot, or when Paulie makes it on the Sopranos.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Longhorned wrote:But yes, always spaghetti. It was the ingredient, not a shape within a larger category called "pasta." There was "macaroni" (elbow-shaped) and "spaghetti." In the late 80's some people started saying "pasta" and there was no bearing their haughty looks.
Agreed. Nothing else in the pasta family compares with twirling a forkful of spaghetti.
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

I prefer spaghettini to spaghetti.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Thai Beef Salad
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Longhorned wrote:
KaibabKat wrote:Marinara from scratch (for a big crowd):

1/2 - Cup Olive Oil

1 - 2 oz. scoop Oregano
1 - 2 oz. scoop Marjoram
1/2 - 2 oz. scoop salt

Makes about 5 gallons.
The sheer volume of the product and its bounty of herbs evokes a real New Jersey, man-made pasta for a back room of lunchtime mafiosi, like when you see them make it in the Godfather, or when Ray Liotta's character in Goodfellas is cooking it all day in that gigantic stock pot, or when Paulie makes it on the Sopranos.
LH, this brings to mind my father's favorite scene in Goodfellas where Paul Sorvino's character is slicing cloves of garlic with a razor blade in prison . . . As to service of mom's spaghetti, indeed a heaping helping of meaty sauce was ladled over the top of a pile of spaghetti and then topped with a mound of the parm - totally americanized. There's not an Italian gene anywhere in my entire family tree.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Orca beans:

Soaked 6 hours and cooked up with guanciale, onion, celery, carrot, fish sauce, soy sauce, and a touch of maple syrup. Holy crap that those were amazing little whales.

and

Pencil cob grits:

Soaked them 10 hours and cooked them up with butter. Incredible stuff. A mind-blowing realization cooking with this stuff.

The grits were from Anson Mills. The beans were from Rancho Gordo.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Sausage/pepper/rice/spaghetti sauce casserole!
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

What kind of pepper?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

What do you imagine Ari Lieberman had for dinner tonight? I'm thinking Chicken Kiev. I'm not exactly certain what Chicken Kiev is, but it would be so Ari Lieberman.

I bet UADevil had Beef Wellington. I don't know what that is, either.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Just bell peppers.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Longhorned wrote:

My best guess would be to come home from the supermarket with:

And some of this:

... to sprinkle on this (if it exists anymore):

... which is melted onto something like this:

Yup, Thats about right. Except we were a Ragu family. If dad had a good week on the job site, we'd class it up a notch with Prego, but generally that was only for special occasions.

At least we didn't eat that Spaghettios slop that my cousins loved. I'd rather go hungry on weekend stays at their house. A man has to have standards.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

azgreg wrote:
Longhorned wrote:

With:

And:

Once in a while though we get a wild hair up our ass and make the sauce from scratch.
NOW THATS WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT! (We used ground beef more often than Turkey back in the day)

DAD?!?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Bah Mi Sando from the corner store
ASUCatFan

Post by ASUCatFan »

I thawed out some meat sauce and had spaghetti. I always make my own sauce. (although I cheat and use Schilling's spice packets.) Don't really like the stuff in jars.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Fried chicken and waffles. Outstanding.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Homemade Persian food last night

Greasy spoon Chinese tonight.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

New York Strip from Black Angus.
Lando05

Post by Lando05 »

azgreg wrote:
Longhorned wrote:

With:

And:

My sister uses this combination except without turkey, she uses Italian sausage mixed with ground beef. It is quite tasty.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

Grilling baby back ribs tonight. Salad. Baked beans.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Lando05 wrote:My sister uses this combination except without turkey, she uses Italian sausage mixed with ground beef. It is quite tasty.
I don't always use turkey. Ground beef and sweet Italian sausage is in the rotation.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Braised lamb shoulder chops in a saucepan of a mirepoix, red wine, stock, tomatoes and curry/garam masala. Some fresh mint on top served over cauliflower rice. Awesome.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Anybody use something like this?

scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

tonight is a super simple pasta with asparagus, mushrooms, garlic, lemon and some parmesan and egg yolk to make it creamy.