New horizons probe

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

PieceOfMeat

Re: New horizons probe

Post by PieceOfMeat »

So we get this probe to Pluto but we didn't put an extra bit of gas in the tank so it could park in orbit?

sheesh.

;)
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Hard to stop when you're already going 50000 km per hour haha
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

What's 50000kph in the cosmic scheme of things?

Interesting thing I read today, Earth wouldn't be a planet if placed where Pluto is cause Earth isn't big enough to clear all the debris from that orbit. Don't know if that's debatable or not as I'm nowhere near well read enough on astrophysics.
Even planetary scientist Alan Stern, the principal investigator for the New Horizons spacecraft, didn't agree with IAU's decision and claimed Pluto was booted out of its planetary status simply because of its distance from the sun.

"In fact, if you put Earth where Pluto is, it would be excluded!" Stern told CNN in January. "Any definition of planethood that excludes Earth, in any circumstance, is deeply flawed. After all, if there is any object everyone agrees is a planet, it's Earth."
from http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/15/us/pluto- ... index.html
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Puerco

Post by Puerco »

That just explains why Pluto really is a planet. It's frankly asinine to think that a spherical celestial body with evidence of an atmosphere and tectonic activity wouldn't be defined as a planet (if it's not a moon anyway). It's obviously swept it's orbit well enough to not have any impact crater evidence younger than a hundred million years or so.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
ghostwhitehorse

Post by ghostwhitehorse »

Meanwhile. . .
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Icy plains of Pluto

ghostwhitehorse

Post by ghostwhitehorse »

Warning: autoplay at max volume in the link
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Been really disturbed by the lack of anything new over the past week. Am now polishing up my tin foil hat...
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Puerco wrote:Been really disturbed by the lack of anything new over the past week. Am now polishing up my tin foil hat...
There's actually a bunch of new info on Charon and two of the other moons, one that's shaped like an oven mitt and the other that looks like a jelly bean.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Chicat wrote:
Puerco wrote:Been really disturbed by the lack of anything new over the past week. Am now polishing up my tin foil hat...
There's actually a bunch of new info on Charon and two of the other moons, one that's shaped like an oven mitt and the other that looks like a jelly bean.
Still thinking GWH's mass relay idea might've been prescient.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

It was well known that after a couple initial photos that it wouldn't be until September that the rest of the data would start coming.

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ASUHATER! wrote:
It was well known that after a couple initial photos that it wouldn't be until September that the rest of the data would start coming.
That's true. Due to limited power it can't photograph and transmit at the same time, so it is now spending all it's energy just recording.
azgreg

Sort of related

Post by azgreg »

NASA finds 'Earth's bigger, older cousin'

http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/23/us/feat-n ... index.html
(CNN)—NASA said Thursday that its Kepler spacecraft has spotted "Earth's bigger, older cousin": the first nearly Earth-size planet to be found in the habitable zone of a star similar to our own.

Though NASA can't say for sure whether the planet is rocky like ours or has water and air, it's the closest match yet found.

"Today, Earth is a little less lonely," Kepler researcher Jon Jenkins said.

The planet, Kepler-452b, is about 1,400 light-years from Earth in the constellation Cygnus. It's about 60% bigger than Earth, NASA says, and is located in its star's habitable zone -- the region where life-sustaining liquid water is possible on the surface of a planet.

A visitor there would experience gravity about twice that of Earth's, and planetary scientists say the odds of it having a rocky surface are "better than even."

While it's a bit farther from its star than Earth is from the sun, its star is brighter, so the planet gets about the same amount of energy from its star as Earth does from the sun. And that sunlight would be very similar to Earth's, Jenkins said.

The planet "almost certainly has an atmosphere," Jenkins said, although scientists can't say what it's made of. But if the assumptions of planetary geologists are correct, he said, Kepler-452b's atmosphere would probably be thicker than Earth's, and it would have active volcanoes.

It takes 385 days for the planet to orbit its star, very similar to Earth's 365-day year, NASA said. And because it's spent so long orbiting in this zone -- 6 billion years -- it's had plenty of time to brew life, Jenkins said.

"That's substantial opportunity for life to arise, should all the necessary ingredients and conditions for life exist on this planet," he said in a statement.

Before the discovery of this planet, one called Kepler-186f was considered the most Earthlike, according to NASA. That planet, no more than a 10th bigger than Earth, is about 500 light-years away from us. But it gets only about a third of the energy from its star as Earth does from the sun, and noon there would look similar to the evening sky here, NASA says.

The $600 million Kepler mission launched in 2009 with a goal to survey a portion of the Milky Way for habitable planets.

From a vantage point 64 million miles from Earth, it scans the light from distant stars, looking for almost imperceptible drops in a star's brightness, suggesting a planet has passed in front of it.

It has discovered more than 1,000 planets. Twelve of those, including Kepler-425b, have been less than twice the size of Earth and in the habitable zones of the stars they orbit.

Missions are being readied to move scientists closer to the goal of finding yet more planets and cataloging their atmospheres and other characteristics.

In 2017, NASA plans to launch a planet-hunting satellite called TESS that will be able to provide scientists with more detail on the size, mass and atmospheres of planets circling distant stars.

The next year, the James Webb Space Telescope will go up. That platform, NASA says, will provide astonishing insights into other worlds, including their color, seasonal differences, weather and even the potential presence of vegetation.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Appears to be a Class M planet.

4 to beam down.

3 to beam up.
Daryl Zero

Post by Daryl Zero »

Merkin wrote:Appears to be a Class M planet.

4 to beam down.

3 to beam up.
:D Redshirt never makes it back!
Erlich Bachmann: Richard wrote the code, yes, but the inspiration was clear. Let me ask you something. How fast do you think you could jack off every guy in this room? Cause I know how long it would take me. And I could prove it.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

photo taken about a day after the flyby as new horizons is going away from pluto. can clearly see the atmosphere

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

So what now Hater? I assume it just hurdles through space as it runs out of fuel but will it be able to still take pictures and transmit those back?
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

azcat49 wrote:So what now Hater? I assume it just hurdles through space as it runs out of fuel but will it be able to still take pictures and transmit those back?
it hasn't even transmitted back probably 95%+ of the pictures and data it recorded. the vast majority of everything will be sent back to earth from september until probably christmas of 2016. in the meantime it is still taking measurements and getting the data ready to send back to earth. it also has some fuel left over to make a course correction to possibly put it in the direction of another kuiper belt object that it will rendezvous with in 2018 or 2019. we've really only gotten like 10 pictures so far and limited data. gotta wait for 1-16 months from now to get the rest of it.

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

The data stream is fucking agonizing in this day of instant information.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

well it's up to 2 kb/s now!

since it was launched in january 2006 and they started building it and doing the whole project way before that...the technology in the probe is up to date to about the year 2003 or so.

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

That is just amazing. To think of the pictures we will get over the next several years. Great thread
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
azgreg

Since this is the official outer space thread....

Post by azgreg »

NASA estimates 1 billion ‘Earths’ in our galaxy alone

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/spea ... axy-alone/
There are a billion Earths in this galaxy, roughly speaking. Not a million. A billion. We’re talking 1 billion rocky planets that are approximately the size of the Earth and are orbiting familiar-looking yellow-sunshine stars in the orbital “habitable zone” where water could be liquid at the surface.

That’s a billion planets where human beings, or their genetically modified descendants, as well as their dogs and cats and tomato plants and crepe myrtle trees and ladybugs and earthworms and whatnot, could plausibly live.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Which sadly does us diddly squat until we can go warp 5. Even going half the speed of light it would take us thousands of years to get to most of those planets.

Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Worm holes
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Pluto has a . . . . . .

.......(wait for it)

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . TAIL!

http://www.iflscience.com/space/plutos- ... comet-tail
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

That would be the best explanation I've heard yet behind Pluto's kooky, non-elliptical orbit that dovetails Neptune.
Puerco wrote:Worm holes
Seriously, get Interstellar and watch the documentaries. Not just a great flick, but the special features provide a great overview of the Kuiper "Earth" 1,400 light-years away and how wormholes could be used to get there, as inspired by CalTech researcher Kip Thorne.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Chicat wrote:Pluto has a . . . . . .

.......(wait for it)

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . TAIL!

http://www.iflscience.com/space/plutos- ... comet-tail
Mars and Venus say "Hi!"

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

ASUHATER! wrote:Which sadly does us diddly squat until we can go warp 5. Even going half the speed of light it would take us thousands of years to get to most of those planets.

Scientists Confirm 'Impossible' EM Drive Propulsion

https://hacked.com/scientists-confirm-i ... ropulsion/
The EM Drive (Electro Magnetic Drive) uses electromagnetic microwave cavities to directly convert electrical energy to thrust without the need to expel any propellant. First proposed by Satellite Propulsion Research, a research company based in the UK founded by aerospace engineer Roger Shawyer, the EM Drive concept was predictably scorned by much of the mainstream research community for allegedly violating the laws of physics, including the conservation of momentum.

However, NASA Eagleworks – an advanced propulsion research group led by Dr. Harold G. “Sonny” White at the Johnson Space Center (JSC) – investigated the EM Drive and presented encouraging test results in 2014 at the 50th Joint Propulsion Conference.

White proposes that the EM Drive’s thrust is due to virtual particles in the quantum vacuum that behave like propellant ions in magneto-hydrodynamical propulsion systems, extracting "fuel" from the very fabric of space-time and eliminating the need to carry propellant. While a number of scientists criticize White's theoretical model, others feel that he is at least pointing to the right direction. The NASASpaceFlight website and forums have emerged as unofficial news source and discussion space for all things related to the EM Drive and related breakthrough space propulsion proposals such as the Cannae Drive.
Exciting stuff just around the corner.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

azgreg wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:Which sadly does us diddly squat until we can go warp 5. Even going half the speed of light it would take us thousands of years to get to most of those planets.

Scientists Confirm 'Impossible' EM Drive Propulsion

https://hacked.com/scientists-confirm-i ... ropulsion/
The EM Drive (Electro Magnetic Drive) uses electromagnetic microwave cavities to directly convert electrical energy to thrust without the need to expel any propellant. First proposed by Satellite Propulsion Research, a research company based in the UK founded by aerospace engineer Roger Shawyer, the EM Drive concept was predictably scorned by much of the mainstream research community for allegedly violating the laws of physics, including the conservation of momentum.

However, NASA Eagleworks – an advanced propulsion research group led by Dr. Harold G. “Sonny” White at the Johnson Space Center (JSC) – investigated the EM Drive and presented encouraging test results in 2014 at the 50th Joint Propulsion Conference.

White proposes that the EM Drive’s thrust is due to virtual particles in the quantum vacuum that behave like propellant ions in magneto-hydrodynamical propulsion systems, extracting "fuel" from the very fabric of space-time and eliminating the need to carry propellant. While a number of scientists criticize White's theoretical model, others feel that he is at least pointing to the right direction. The NASASpaceFlight website and forums have emerged as unofficial news source and discussion space for all things related to the EM Drive and related breakthrough space propulsion proposals such as the Cannae Drive.
Exciting stuff just around the corner.
Interesting stuff, wish they'd updated the article post-presentation.

Still, seems unlikely to get us to another solar system, as the article mentions it doesn't get us to faster-than-light travel.

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

PieceOfMeat wrote:Interesting stuff, wish they'd updated the article post-presentation.

Still, seems unlikely to get us to another solar system, as the article mentions it doesn't get us to faster-than-light travel.
Baby steps brother, baby steps. Just think, less then 300 years ago we were riding horses as our main form of transportation. Imagine where we will be in the next 300 years.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

azgreg wrote:
PieceOfMeat wrote:Interesting stuff, wish they'd updated the article post-presentation.

Baby steps brother, baby steps. Just think, less then 300 years ago we were riding horses as our main form of transportation. Imagine where we will be in the next 300 years.
Hopefully some of us will still be around at that time
http://www.sciencealert.com/immortality ... mitstart=1

catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
azgreg wrote:

Hopefully some of us will still be around at that time
http://www.sciencealert.com/immortality ... mitstart=1
Talk about hold your horses. We still can't get an entire block of states in this country to stop living in the 1850s.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Newer gif released made from images from the probe

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Intensive data download starting for new horizons now. Bunch of new images starting next Friday

http://www.nasa.gov/feature/nasa-s-new- ... link-phase

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

New horizons image download has started! 18 months of downloading to come. Here are some from today

Charon

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Haze of the atmosphere and the ice mountains of Pluto

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Highest resolution (near) color image of Pluto yet

PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Love seeing this thread updated, always cool stuff :)

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

New angle on Charon

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Plutos blue haze atmosphere

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

So much of what scientists thought about Pluto was pretty much completely wrong.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2015 ... s-science/" target="_blank
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

New picture released. They're still getting data from it. This picture shows clouds in the atmosphere of Pluto.

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Frozen nitrogen lake on Pluto. Shows that there was once a denser atmosphere that allowed for flowing nitrogen and lakes of it.

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Dude, I'd have sucked up that whole lake and had a high time on Pluto.