Looking to start making my own hot sauce

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Longhorned

Re: Looking to start making my own hot sauce

Post by Longhorned »

Eating a sandwich of crispy tofu (leftover from Chinese take out), sliced serrano chilies, and gobs of Sriracha. My mouth is on fire.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Poco & Moms Hatch Red Chile Sauce on a Red Chile Shredded Beef Burro. There are no words to describe how magical it is.

I know they sell the green hatch chili sauce in jar, not sure on red but they should. Might grab one and spice it up

Last edited by Jefe on Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Mmmmmmm.....Poco and Mom's...mmmmm
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Does Poco and Mom's sell their jarred sauce at the restaurant itself? Or is it in local stores?
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Ive never seen it in stores. They have jars of cooked/diced green chiles on the shelf in the bar at the Sabino Canyon location. Really want to learn their red recipe.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Wish I could order it online like you can with Duran's Central Pharmacy in Albuquerque:

http://durancentralpharmacy.com/product/gift-box-1/" target="_blank

I once drove a box of these jars across the country. Kept them "refrigerated" next to the motel A/C until I reached Chicago.

If you get a chance, stop in for breakfast and get their huevos ranchero with red. Their red is so amazing that it's actually even better than their green:

gumby

Post by gumby »

Jefe wrote:Poco & Moms Hatch Red Chile Sauce on a Red Chile Shredded Beef Burro. There are no words to describe how magical it is.

I know they sell the green hatch chili sauce in jar, not sure on red but they should. Might grab one and spice it up

Can never get a meal like this. Pisses me off.
Right where I want to be.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Longhorned wrote:Wish I could order it online like you can with Duran's Central Pharmacy in Albuquerque:

http://durancentralpharmacy.com/product/gift-box-1/" target="_blank

I once drove a box of these jars across the country. Kept them "refrigerated" next to the motel A/C until I reached Chicago.

If you get a chance, stop in for breakfast and get their huevos ranchero with red. Their red is so amazing that it's actually even better than their green:

When I lived in Santa Fe, I found out that I really enjoyed both red and green at the same time - I have ordered my food "Christmas" ever since.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I once ordered "Christmas" and the place mixed the red and green instead of half-and-halfing it. I thought that was weird so stopped doing it just in case. I don't get to New Mexico often enough to screw up a meal.

Some hold this sentiment that real New Mexicans order green because it's made with fresh chiles, and tourists order red because they think it's a legitimate option. First of all, red is amazing and as traditional as you can get, since before refrigeration green used to be something you only got during the harvest. Second, red chile made from dried red pods isn't the only red. Certain varietals that are best matured to red are also used to make fresh red chiles just like the green all year round.

Since I don't have a choice, I buy dried pods (which are pliable "fresh" dried pods) and make red chile. And I love it.

I no longer believe in ordering frozen green chile online and having it mailed to me. And you can't buy it frozen where I live.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

gumby wrote:
Jefe wrote:Poco & Moms Hatch Red Chile Sauce on a Red Chile Shredded Beef Burro. There are no words to describe how magical it is.

Can never get a meal like this. Pisses me off.
Because of Spokane or because it's suicidal? In my case (the latter), I have to tell myself that Mexicans think all of that cheese used north of the border is disgusting, and that whole beans not mashed with a tub of fat will do just fine. Since I can't get a decent flour tortilla outside of Sonora or Albuquerque anyway, I get the healthy goodness of corn tortillas that no doctor will fault me for.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

I buy the burlap sacks of green chiles and roast them on my grill with a propane weed burner. I get a quick blister and it leaves more meat on the chiles than a slow blister.

Freeze with skin on and boom! Fresh chiles year round.

Can you get bulk green chiles in IL?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

wyo-cat wrote:I buy the burlap sacks of green chiles and roast them on my grill with a propane weed burner. I get a quick blister and it leaves more meat on the chiles than a slow blister.

Freeze with skin on and boom! Fresh chiles year round.

Can you get bulk green chiles in IL?
Sort of. During the harvest, fresh "New Mexico Hatch green chilies" show up in the supermarket for $4.99 (!) a pound. You have to pick through them, with the best of the batch still lacking that brilliant freshness. I used to roast them on the Weber and freeze with the skins on. I stopped doing that when I discovered that they're really not as good as the fresh Anaheims during our local harvest, nor as good as the fresh Anaheims I get year-round at the Mexican market. I have to include a few roasted serranos to make up for the heat level, but even then I feel like I'm fighting an uphill battle, and I'm better off making red chile from dried pods and enjoying real green chile when in New Mexico.
gumby

Post by gumby »

LH, because of Spokane. Can a brother get some refried with lard? No! And the locals are just fine with that and the rest of the shortcuts that put a lie to "autentico."
Right where I want to be.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

gumby wrote:LH, because of Spokane. Can a brother get some refried with lard? No! And the locals are just fine with that and the rest of the shortcuts that put a lie to "autentico."
A lot of the charm of Mexican food is eating out at a cheap Mexican restaurant, but I can confirm NY Times food writer Mark Bittman's assertion that refried beans are even better with butter than they are with lard. You'll need a can of pinto beans and a potato masher and chopped onion.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Longhorned wrote:
gumby wrote:LH, because of Spokane. Can a brother get some refried with lard? No! And the locals are just fine with that and the rest of the shortcuts that put a lie to "autentico."
A lot of the charm of Mexican food is eating out at a cheap Mexican restaurant, but I can confirm NY Times food writer Mark Bittman's assertion that refried beans are even better with butter than they are with lard. You'll need a can of pinto beans and a potato masher and chopped onion.
Hahahaha! I do the exact same thing - I gringo-ized my authentic Mexican beans recipe by using a can. I also throw in two or three chile japonese pods to give it a kick and lots of garlic salt.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

For refried beans, I simply can't tell the difference between canned pintos and pintos from scratch. Once you're at that level of fat and mashing, I don't think it matters.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

I've tried a couple of LH's recommendations...

Butter in refried whole pintos from the can - really good and rich flavor from the butter.

Whirred chipotles - amazing! I put a couple of spoonfuls in ground beef tacos....totally elevated my game. I'm gonna put some in a Chile Colorado sauce this weekend.
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

Phoenix is having a hot sauce expo in November. Looks pretty cool. I pick this one up at uptown farmer's market every week.

Homeboy's Habanero Sauce.

http://www.azhotsauceexpo.com/vendors.php" target="_blank
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

My go-to hot sauce

"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

TucsonClip wrote:My go-to hot sauce

I'm pretty confident that's a photo of a shelf in your own kitchen.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Longhorned wrote:
TucsonClip wrote:My go-to hot sauce

I'm pretty confident that's a photo of a shelf in your own kitchen.
You should see the bathroom.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Wear latex shorts in the tub
BigSkyCatinMT

Post by BigSkyCatinMT »

Garden Salsa pepper is best ever. Much hotter than a jalepeno, same flavor. Find a chipotle recipe, substitute peppers, add a Thai Hot or two for a boost. Maybe a Tomatillo for flavor. Chipotle is fine for a sandwich spread, add Garden Salsa for that extra kick. Tweak it a bit at your preference level.
formerly, UA Direct, mtzwami, SnowCat, MontanaCat. should cover every forum I've been on in the last 19 years.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

At a Tucson restaurant called Prep & Pastry they gave me a condiment cup with an amazingly delicious, velvety hot sauce as thick as enchilada sauce. I asked what it was and she said Tapatio.

I like Tapatio as much as the next guy, but this was special. Now I'm wondering if the issue is that the shape of hot sauce bottles is all wrong. These long, narrow necks with a small hole at the top. It comes out in drops, as if something bad would happen if you got too much on your food.

Our hot sauce should be in a little pitcher that allows you to pour it on like gravy and get the full body and flavor of the stuff.

We've wasted a lot of years, my friends.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I found lately I prefer Valentina over Tapatio. But Cholula even more than both of those.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

scumdevils86 wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:42 pm I found lately I prefer Valentina over Tapatio. But Cholula even more than both of those.
Do they sell Cholula in the big "refill" sized bottles? Maybe I'll just keep one of those in the fridge, and pour it into a gravy boat when we sit down at the table.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Speaking of chiles, the best rellenos are made from pasilla chiles. Most restaurants use something else, but for me, the dark green passillas are far superior.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Yeah I always think of a chile relleno as a poblano.

Which Tucson joints use passillas?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Longhorned wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:45 pm
scumdevils86 wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:42 pm I found lately I prefer Valentina over Tapatio. But Cholula even more than both of those.
Do they sell Cholula in the big "refill" sized bottles? Maybe I'll just keep one of those in the fridge, and pour it into a gravy boat when we sit down at the table.
I have your proctologist on line 2. He’d like to have a word with you. Should I put him through?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Chicat wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:38 pm
I have your proctologist on line 2. He’d like to have a word with you. Should I put him through?
Tell him I'll return his call after lunch, and to get his fingers out of my line 2.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Longhorned wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:43 pm
Chicat wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:38 pm
Tell him I'll return his call after lunch, and to get his fingers out of my line 2.
Dr. Stinkpalm would rather you come in so you can shoot the shit Mano y Mano, so to speak.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

You can get a 2-pack of big bottles of Cholula at Costco... in fact... I just did.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Anyone been to Cardenas Ranch Market on Irvington and I19? Its a seriously impressive Mexican focused market. They make fresh tortillas all day long, have tons of salsas, chiles, cheeses, fresh catches from Baja and a produce section full of things Ive never heard of. Makes me want to create my own sauce/salsa

Cardenas Ranch Market pics
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Jefe wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:07 pm Anyone been to Cardenas Ranch Market on Irvington and I19? Its a seriously impressive Mexican focused market. They make fresh tortillas all day long, have tons of salsas, chiles, cheeses, fresh catches from Baja and a produce section full of things Ive never heard of. Makes me want to create my own sauce/salsa

Cardenas Ranch Market pics
Drove by it the other day and saw it wasn't a Fry's (or whatever is used to be) anymore. Thanks for the tip, will definitely check it out.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Longhorned wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:21 pm Yeah I always think of a chile relleno as a poblano.

Which Tucson joints use passillas?
I'd like to know for my next Tucson visit which will be this football season if we seem to have an ice cubes chance in hell to win a game or two.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion