Bicycling

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

FreeSpiritCat

Bicycling

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

I picked up a one speed cruiser bicycle to get around central Phoenix. Nothing fancy, just wanted it to be practical. A one speed is very easy to maintain and rarely breaks down. It's made for urban cycling. It also helps me with my exercise, allows me to get outdoors, and I want to do more of my part for climate change. I picked up a Schwinn helmet and LED lights. I have an Avenir U-Lock and ordered an Osprey cycling/Hiking backpack. I also am getting a tire pump, preferably one I can put in the backpack. I still have my truck but want to use it very sparingly. I mean like 50-100 miles/month unless I'm leaving town.

It's kind of funny really, even though I'm getting older I'm still adventurous and always willing to try new things. I still love to learn and explore. I'm curious if anyone else has decided to cycle. I think this will be far more prevalent in American society in the next 20 years.
Longhorned

Re: Bicycling

Post by Longhorned »

Last spring I bought a 1970-something Fuji 3-speed road bike. I ride every day I can, which is every day this snowless winter. It's transformed me.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

i have a pretty basic hybrid trek 7.1 fx....but I never use it. bought it a year ago just as it was getting hot in tucson and after riding it maybe 50 miles in 2 weeks I put it away and haven't pulled it out sense (another reason why i haven't lost weight in a year). It is a great basic bike. Just gotta use it.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

My wife & I own 5 bikes. It is great therapy for me. It really lefts my mood & I lessen my environmental footprint. Pretty good exercise too. I am 53 and my resting heart rate is in the mid 40's.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

geeze i'm 28 and my resting heart rate is probably like 70-75.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I ride to work every once in a while, 34 miles round trip.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

azgreg wrote:I ride to work every once in a while, 34 miles round trip.
Impressive Greg! My wife was riding to work 1-2 times a week with a 22 mile round trip a few years ago. She really increased her fitness during that time. Now she works at home mostly so she never rides to work.

This is the best way to stay in shape though. Make it a part of your life so that you don't have an excuse to stop riding. There are certain activities that I always ride my bike to no matter what. It keeps you on the bike so you stay in shape. Then when you want to go for a longer ride, you can do it without getting exhausted.
gumby

Post by gumby »

I like biking, much more than running. No pounding on the joints, etc. My only trepidation is that I'm not mechanically inclined, and I dread breakdowns, which are inevitable.

In the winter, it just isn't an option.
Right where I want to be.
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

gumby wrote:I like biking, much more than running. No pounding on the joints, etc. My only trepidation is that I'm not mechanically inclined, and I dread breakdowns, which are inevitable.

That's why I bought a one speed no-frills bike. There isn't much to breakdown, and what does break down is easy to replace.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

gumby wrote:I like biking, much more than running. No pounding on the joints, etc. My only trepidation is that I'm not mechanically inclined, and I dread breakdowns, which are inevitable.

I carry a small kit with small tools, patch kit, spare tube, length of chain, chain kwik links, and a small pump.
Katzenfreund

Post by Katzenfreund »

Last edited by Katzenfreund on Thu May 07, 2015 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

That looks like a blast.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Breakdowns? I solved those. After I got a bike, I got a car so I could go pick up the bike when it breaks down.
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

Katzenfreund wrote:
gumby wrote:In the winter, it just isn't an option.
I disagree. Not me in that video, although I've raced the Allalin DH a few times already.

That looks like an incredible amount of fun...30 years ago. Now I'd break every bone in my body if I fell.
gumby

Post by gumby »

azgreg wrote:

I carry a small kit with small tools, patch kit, spare tube, length of chain, chain kwik links, and a small pump.
Do they perform on their own?
Right where I want to be.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

gumby wrote:
azgreg wrote:

Do they perform on their own?
Nope, but they are easy to use.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

This guy can probably out ride most of you lazy mf'ers at 105. Get off the couch and ride!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

So the UofA president is in France this week.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:46 am So the UofA president is in France this week.
Shit, beat me to it dove...well played.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

That’s hilarious... what could possibly go wrong have spectators so close
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Alieberman wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:55 am That’s hilarious... what could possibly go wrong have spectators so close
I will never understand why Europeans let spectators stand literally on bicycle, motorcycle, and car racing courses.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?