How fast is your internet connection?

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Irish27

How fast is your internet connection?

Post by Irish27 »

2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
FreeSpiritCat

Re: How fast is your internet connection?

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

5.48 mbps download and 1.16 mbps upload. But again I am using the starter tier. I find this is all I need to run streaming video. I'm sure families who share wifi will need much more. I used to have preferred service at 50 mbps download but I didn't see any difference. The only reason I had higher bandwidth was because Cox was giving me discounts. This year they stopped (I really didn't care).
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

72 mbps download, 13 mbps upload on cox
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

About 5 mbps now but I'm getting cox tomorrow so that should increase dramatically
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

I'm, on Optus Cable lowest possible speed package (DOCSIS 2). I'd like to upgrade to DOCSIS 3 but they won't replace my modem. I was gonna wait for Australia's NBN to be activated, but the Gov has reneged on just about every schedule they ever had for my area. NBN ("National Broadband Network") WAS going to be FTTP (fiber to the premises) for something like 80% of the Australian 'premises' and various combinations of cable, copper, and wireless for the rural, hard to serve folks. Now it is FTTN (fiber to the node) (where nodes can be located who knows where and will probably be located at the existing copper network substations) and copper from the node to the premises where there isn't an existing cable service (something like 40% of 'urban' premises are served by cable). And slow congested wireless for everyone else. Hummph.

Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Can you believe this message I got from Comcast?
Introducing a Terabyte Internet Experience

We’re writing to let you know that we will be trialing a new XFINITY Internet data usage plan in your area. Starting August 1, 2016, your monthly XFINITY Internet service will include a terabyte data usage plan (that’s 1,024 GB).

With 1 terabyte of data you can stream about 700 hours of HD video, play more than 12,000 hours of online games, or download 600,000 high-res photos in a month. If you believe you will need more data, we also offer an Unlimited Data Option.
So in other words, this "Terabyte Internet Experience" means that I'm about to experience getting charged a lot of money for exceeding a terabyte per month. It's like going over you data limit on your phone plan.
ghostwhitehorse

Post by ghostwhitehorse »

*sigh* It thinks I am in Seattle. . .
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Longhorned wrote:Can you believe this message I got from Comcast?
Introducing a Terabyte Internet Experience

We’re writing to let you know that we will be trialing a new XFINITY Internet data usage plan in your area. Starting August 1, 2016, your monthly XFINITY Internet service will include a terabyte data usage plan (that’s 1,024 GB).

With 1 terabyte of data you can stream about 700 hours of HD video, play more than 12,000 hours of online games, or download 600,000 high-res photos in a month. If you believe you will need more data, we also offer an Unlimited Data Option.
So in other words, this "Terabyte Internet Experience" means that I'm about to experience getting charged a lot of money for exceeding a terabyte per month. It's like going over you data limit on your phone plan.
My brother in Tucson was extremely pleased going to 1TB since he kept going over his 300GB cap. Tucson was one of the first if not the first to start experimenting with caps.

I uncapped out here, getting 94.91 down 12.12 up with Xfinity Blast.

Thought I was getting 120 down a couple months ago.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

I am pretty sure cox doesn't have a cap here in Tucson
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Hooray up to 35 mbps download
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ASUHATER! wrote:I am pretty sure cox doesn't have a cap here in Tucson

Sorry, actually meant to say Oro Valley which is Comcast/Infinity. My family in Tucson outside of him have Cox with no caps.
The Butcher

Post by The Butcher »

92 download 12 upload according to Ookla However, it's not a true test.

A more accurate reading is found here: http://testmy.net/" target="_blank
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Cox has caps everywhere they have service (they recently halved the cap on their highest tier from 2TB to 1 TB). For quite some time they've been soft caps, where they only pester you with an email if you go over by some drastic amount on a congested node. However, they've already begun testing hard caps with overage charges in at least one market (I think it was cleveland, if memory serves).

Anyhow, cox has a bandwidth monitoring page where any customer can view their monthly usage amounts in relation to their cap number. Hard caps are coming to all of their markets sooner rather than later, unless some type of regulation gets put in place to stop them.

It's a bull shit money grab, but, when has that ever stopped Cox?
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Looks like I used 406GB in both May and June, so that's pretty consistent.

Shouldn't be a problem if Comcast caps everyone at 1 TB.

But better start saving my pr0n now though.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
Cox has caps everywhere they have service (they recently halved the cap on their highest tier from 2TB to 1 TB). For quite some time they've been soft caps, where they only pester you with an email if you go over by some drastic amount on a congested node. However, they've already begun testing hard caps with overage charges in at least one market (I think it was cleveland, if memory serves).

Anyhow, cox has a bandwidth monitoring page where any customer can view their monthly usage amounts in relation to their cap number. Hard caps are coming to all of their markets sooner rather than later, unless some type of regulation gets put in place to stop them.

Just checked and we've gone over 9 of the last 10 months and have never been charged. Hmmmmmmmmmmm.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

azgreg wrote:
PieceOfMeat wrote:

Just checked and we've gone over 9 of the last 10 months and have never been charged. Hmmmmmmmmmmm.
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm?

Who said you would have been charged so far? As I clearly stated, they've only begun testing hard caps with overage charges in one market that I know of (I looked it up, and yes, it was Cleveland, and $10 per 50GB over, which is bullshit). Other than that, it's been a soft cap where they only pester you with emails in certain situations.

Yet the fact remains, hard caps with overage charges are coming unless government regulation stops it. Comcast is/has implented similar such "trials" as the one cox has done in cleveland. It's just a money grab by legacy video providers who are anxious to keep revenues inflated.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Then I misunderstood you, sorry.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

azgreg wrote:Then I misunderstood you, sorry.
apology accepted :D