Best Burger

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

97cats

Best Burger

Post by 97cats »

i looked for a 'Best Burger' thread, not 'Best Fast Food Burger', and couldnt find one.

anyway, i was in NYC this week and i had the BLACK LABEL BURGER at MINETTA TAVERN and, as always, it was incredible.

in fact, this is the fourth trip in a row to NYC where the first thing i did when i got there was head straight to Minetta for my two martini's and a burger.

absolutely delish - i highly recommend anyone who's in the Big Apple to stop by and try the burger.
scumdevils86

Re: Best Burger

Post by scumdevils86 »

I'm sure some people will say it's overrated, but I had a burger at Au Cheval in Chicago in September and it was so amazing.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

IMNSHO, any burger lacking green chili is disqualified from serious consideration....
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

pc in NM wrote:IMNSHO, any burger lacking green chili is disqualified from serious consideration....
Green chiles are one of the top burger toppings possible...but they don't work on all burgers.

Reminds me. I went to one of the new Blake's lotaburgers in Tucson a while back...and it was quite possibly one of the worst burgers I've ever eaten. Just awful. Almost no mustard or condiments on it. Minimal green chile. Tasteless tiny patty and the bun was massive. It was like 80% bun. It was truly awful. I feel bad for the people of New Mexico if that's their go to burger place.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

97cats wrote:i looked for a 'Best Burger' thread, not 'Best Fast Food Burger', and couldnt find one.

anyway, i was in NYC this week and i had the BLACK LABEL BURGER at MINETTA TAVERN and, as always, it was incredible.

in fact, this is the fourth trip in a row to NYC where the first thing i did when i got there was head straight to Minetta for my two martini's and a burger.

absolutely delish - i highly recommend anyone who's in the Big Apple to stop by and try the burger.
A martini man, eh? Gin or otherwise, and how do you specify it?
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

BLACK LABEL BURGER
selection of prime dry-aged beef cuts with caramelized onions and pommes frites 33

RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

In Melboune for the last few years, every time a small shop comes up for lease and the landlord can't get any "traditional" business to take it up right away, they somehow manage to land a Massage shop usually run (certainly staffed) by Asians. They are everywhere now, two sometimes three to a block in "slow moving" shopping strips. (It is theorized that it is a cheap way to satisfy the immigration requirement to contribute to the economy - by opening a business).

Anyway, that seems to have all changed now.

There are "boutique" burger shops opening up all over the place, again sometimes two to a block. Most of the places I've tried are pretty good, but they never seem to have any customers - WTF?

They all seem to have various unnecessary marketing schticks - for example, one has a boxing theme where each burger variant is named after something to do with boxing. Their hot dog is called 'Hit me below the belt' (no I can't remember their burger names). Cutesy maybe, but definitely stoopid.

Burgers are the new massage?
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

The Au Cheval burgers from my Chicago trip

97cats

Post by 97cats »

dovecanyoncat wrote:
A martini man, eh? Gin or otherwise, and how do you specify it?
Grey Goose, up, one olive, super clean
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

scumdevils86 wrote:I'm sure some people will say it's overrated, but I had a burger at Au Cheval in Chicago in September and it was so amazing.
Au Cheval is fucking awesome. Glad you got to go there.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

ASUHATER! wrote:
pc in NM wrote:IMNSHO, any burger lacking green chili is disqualified from serious consideration....
Green chiles are one of the top burger toppings possible...but they don't work on all burgers.

Reminds me. I went to one of the new Blake's lotaburgers in Tucson a while back...and it was quite possibly one of the worst burgers I've ever eaten. Just awful. Almost no mustard or condiments on it. Minimal green chile. Tasteless tiny patty and the bun was massive. It was like 80% bun. It was truly awful. I feel bad for the people of New Mexico if that's their go to burger place.
The franchise owner has a lot to do with the product that the customer receives; there are some acceptable Blake's when one is in dire need...

... but, Blake's is not on any New Mexican's top-ten as far as I know. Blake's and the Owl Cafe are more for tourists (Though I was birding at Bosque del Apache three weeks ago, and that day the Owl was better than I had had there recently...)

My own top five at present (affected by where I'm hanging around - usually get different food when in 'Burque):
1. Sparky's - Hatch
2. Big D's Downtown Dive - Roswell
3. Buckhorn Tavern - San Antonio
4. Santa Fe Bite - Santa Fe
5. Pecos Flavors Winery - Roswell
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Just stepped inside Harvey's Wineburger. Can't wait to eat one.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

azgreg wrote:Just stepped inside Harvey's Wineburger. Can't wait to eat one.
I've always wondered about that place with the purple sign. Let us know.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Longhorned wrote:
Me too
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Longhorned wrote:
I've eaten here a half dozen times and it's the best burger I've ever had.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Wow! I can’t believe I’ve never been. My dad and I drove past so many times on our way to Original Hamburger Works, which really isn’t very good.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Never tried them. The next time I'm in that area I'll give them a go.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

No. Don’t. That’s the point.

They grill your burger dry and then you go to a fixings bar to load it up. What is this, Fuckrudder’s?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Has anyone tried Divine Bovine on Speedway and Wilmot yet?

https://www.divinebovineburgers.com" target="_blank
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Im a sucker for the chorizo & green chili burger at Graze. Add an egg if you have access to a shower
scumdevils86 wrote:Has anyone tried Divine Bovine on Speedway and Wilmot yet?

Yep! Amazing smells and great burger. You can build it however you want

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1965&start=300#p379007" target="_blank

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Jefe wrote:Im a sucker for the chorizo & green chili burger at Graze. Add an egg if you have access to a shower
scumdevils86 wrote:Has anyone tried Divine Bovine on Speedway and Wilmot yet?

Yep! Amazing smells and great burger. You can build it however you want

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1965&start=300#p379007" target="_blank
I went last week and thought the burger was really good, my wife and son thought it was just OK. Fries with the green chili cheese dipping sauce was awesome.
Good fountain drinks from Rocky Mountain Sodas and teas as well.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

The best burger(s) I've had recently were both in San Antonio. One was a lamb burger with a slab of perfectly soft on-the-edge-of-melted brie with a large dollop of fig jam on top. The other was a brisket burger at a BBQ joint. The test of greatness IMO is whether the juice makes it all the way down your forearms to your elbows before you're even tempted to put the burger down. Wife's reactions are a bonus, of course.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law