Atlantropa

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

UAdevil

Atlantropa

Post by UAdevil »

Got into a research spiral and stumbled upon some mentions of something called Atlantropa. I'd never heard about this crazy, ambitious, asshole colonialist project. Really interesting "what if".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantropa

Atlantropa, also referred to as Panropa,[1] was a gigantic engineering and colonisation idea that was devised by the German architect Herman Sörgel in the 1920s, and promoted by him until his death in 1952.[2][3] The project was devised to contain several hydroelectric dams in key points of the Mediterranean Sea, such as the Strait of Gibraltar and the Bosporus, to cause a sea level drop and create new land to settle. It had been proposed as a peaceful Pan-European alternative to the Lebensraum concepts in Nazi Germany.

Its central feature was a hydroelectric dam to be built across the Strait of Gibraltar, which would have provided enormous amounts of hydroelectricity[4] and would have led to the lowering of the surface of the Mediterranean Sea by up to 200 metres (660 ft), opening up large new lands for settlement, such as in the Adriatic Sea. The project proposed four additional major dams as well:

Across the Dardanelles to hold back the Black Sea

Between Sicily and Tunisia to provide a roadway and lower the inner Mediterranean further

On the Congo River below its Kwah River tributary to refill the Mega-Chad basin around Lake Chad to provide fresh water to irrigate the Sahara and create a shipping lane to the interior of Africa

Suez Canal extension and locks to maintain a Red Sea connection

Sörgel saw his scheme, which was projected to take over a century, as a peaceful Pan-European alternative to the Lebensraum concepts, which later became one of the stated reasons for Nazi Germany's conquest of new territories. Atlantropa would provide: land; food; employment; electric power; and, most of all, a new vision for Europe and neighbouring Africa.

The Atlantropa movement, throughout its several decades, was characterised by four constants:[8]

Pacifism, in its promises of using technology peacefully

Pan-European sentiment, seeing the project as a way to unite a wartorn Europe

Eurocentric attitudes to Africa, which was to become united with Europe into "Atlantropa" or Eurafrica

Neocolonial geopolitics, which saw the world divided into three blocs: America, Asia and Atlantropa.[9]

Active support was limited to architects and planners from Germany and a number of other primarily-Northern European countries. Critics derided it for various faults, ranging from lack of any co-operation of Mediterranean countries in the planning to the impacts that it would have had on the historic coastal communities that would be stranded inland when the sea receded. The project reached great popularity in the late 1920s to the early 1930s and again briefly in the late 1940s to the early 1950s, but it soon disappeared from general discourse after Sörgel's death.[10]
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
Chicat

Re: Atlantropa

Post by Chicat »

What a whacked out plan. File that one away along with nuking the moon and trying to find a non-diseased sex partner at an ASU frat party.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

I've read about it before. It was the biggest idea that the Nazis had and they anticipated that it would take until well into the 21st century to complete
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

And yet the biggest critic, Martin Heidegger, was also really kind if into the whole Nazi thing. I really admire a lot about German culture, but maybe I don't.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Looking at the subject heading, thought it would be an Atlanta music festival.

But interesting concept.

At least Venice would no longer be sinking.